Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When is a New Player no longer New? [Helminth Mastery change]

DiceyDelphic

21 hours ago, Aldain said:

No amount of MR can account for somebody who can't think their way out of a paper bag.

Some players will pick the game up, research and understand things by MR10, others might just go to Hydron and power level things until they are MR23.

MR means nothing of experience, it doesn't even show time investment outside of maybe a few days of resets and waiting on things to build.

I'd hazard that there are less differences between an MR8 vs an MR15 one than between an MR0 and an MR5.

MR10 would have been the best point for it to be, either that or MR12, everything after 12 is mostly just fluff.

Objection, mastery rank is supposed to be a marker on how far in the game you are.

10 minutes ago, Darkest_Fire said:

Objection, mastery rank is supposed to be a marker on how far in the game you are.

I'm sure ranking up a vanilla Hind or the other 50+ weapons on the same borderline-useless par as that thing do wonders for proving that.

That line of thinking would have more worth if it weren't for the fact that a vast majority of MR is literally just "build, level and discard" fodder at best, also things like leveling mods have far more impact on progression than MR does and for new players getting enough Endo and Credits takes far more time than scraping together 90% of all basic resources in the game.

Mastery rank will forever be worthless as long as the concept of "MR Fodder" exists, especially when anyone can grind a weapon to 30 and then delete it without a care in the world.

Little tip for new players to be "not new" 🙂 in my opinion new players have "problems":

1) they dont know game mechanics etc

2) they need some platinum, and how to get it

3) they need some good stuff 

4) they need some game plan

Some tip for mentioned above:

1) use wiki or ask other players to help you, game it self have a lot stuff so you cant learn it all. Like status, crits, where to farm what, which build to use on which frame etc. Have a good veteran is always welcoming.

2) easy way to earn some plat is selling parts, mods (lich one and augments) if you get lucky and get riven on sortie sell it unveiled. You need some plat atm and this is bit large topic to discuss. 

3) you need good weapon, frame (have good mesa for lich is very desirable) you will have problems until mr 8. After mr 13 things will get easyer, also have 1 empty wf slot and 1 weapon slot for lvl up stuff.

4) plan... you cant have it all, thus you need to make plan. Like get into syndicate (need for 2) section), open all map on starchart, play some quests. do some play on poe and fortuna. Thing is you need some time b4 you can have easy access to game and its content. Take your time and dont burn out, dont competate with "high ranking" veteran playes, most of them have 2+ yeas of play account and naturally it is easy for them.

I think reducing the MR on the helminth system is a business mistake on DE's end.

If you set it too low, then you'll have new players who feed their Warframes directly into the Helminth as they master them, thus reducing the number a Warframe Slots a new player is encouraged to purchase.

With the MR set higher, new players will instead have to Stockpile frames for Later Subsuming thus greatly encouraging them to buy up Warframe Slots -can't delete those frames to make space since it would be a waste of future subsume potential.

Higher MR = longer Stockpiling time = More Warframe Slot Sales for DE

Raise the MR so you can make more money DE!

Did you queue up in a public game today to do Lephantis GOTL because you're not confident to solo it in the time limit? You're not experienced. Let's be real, that's the kind of things that determine if a player is experienced or not. New content comes out, do you go to youtube and watch guides on how to do it, what the meta is? Or can you figure it out for yourself. When a new weapon comes out do you need someone to demonstrate it's potential either in a video or on the forums/reddit/pick yout platform etc or can you glance at the base stats and determine for yourself the sort of tier it will sit in, whether there's some content in the game that it will have a niche use for etc.

If you can't do these things and your solution is take melee weapon and hit things, press 4 until it doesn't work for some reason and google why this content prevents it... you're not experienced. MR means jack, ingame hours is a better indicator but even that isn't bullet proof.

Here is something I can tell you for a Fact:

MR tells you Virtually Nothing about a players habits or what they have in their account... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

and that's why I think this whole Helminth MR Drama is just stupid. 

Jesus...I disappear for 10 days and people make threads about the dumbest things 😐

4 hours ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Did you queue up in a public game today to do Lephantis GOTL because you're not confident to solo it in the time limit?

In my defense I've only ever played Lephantis assassination through sorties and I remembered him to be tougher. Ended up pretty much solo-ing it anyway as the rest of my team couldn't keep up with my titania

I guess anyone who doesn't know the basics of the game could be considered one.

Having problems with the movement, combat, not knowing how to mod frames/weapons and how and where to farm materials are all pretty obvious signs of some one being new.

Now in game what would be the best metric to use for some one's experience with the game? That's a different thing.

In warframe you don't progress through the game normally. Everything is there for new players that's not mastery locked. So in this case I don't think any system would be able to show how experienced some one is.

The old conclave power level system would also be faulty since trading is a thing but I think maybe that would be a good alternative.

Archived