Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Start With New Supporter Packs

[DE]Helen

Nope... not that I'd pay for these anyway but there is no way I'd financially reward the current choices bing made with the helminth system.

I fear the only way we'll get DE to take any notice of us these days is to speak with our wallets and sadly we still have plenty of newbies who haven't realised what the 'long term players' have.

Pricing information and clarification on whether or not we can obtain some of the contents of these packs through gameplay means would be nice.

Shouldn't be any surprise with the mixed reactions you're getting here when you left out that info. Some of these cosmetics were shown off in previous livestreams or at Tennocon. The impression I imagine most of us got was that we'd be able to obtain them with platinum. If it comes down only being able to acquire them by dropping a chunk of money, then it is very disappointing to hear.

At a best guess: the In Action glyph and the Festering Ephemera will be locked to the supporter packs. Surely the other items will have separate means to acquire them, but after the Kuva Lich bundle locking armor and color palettes behind a single ~800 Platinum price tag, it won't surprise me if this will be the case again.

This isn't great marketing, morally speaking, but it's still gonna make a quick buck off the "stop complaining" folk.

Would you consider doing one last sale of the packs that will be retired? I know that not long ago there was a sale, but I wasn't able to pay, and the support helped me after the sale ended... And it would certainly make more people buy them, so it would be a win/win, I suppose.

I have to agree with the criticism about using FOMO to sell these cosmetics.

For a while I was considering using some spare unexpected Steam wallet funds to grab some of those things which are (now) being replaced, but I've been waiting because, well, it's a cosmetic and I'm in a situation in life where I have to be very frugal with any disposable funds.

Reading this, not only are you putting more of these unsavoury price tags on things - as always, they're going to be inflated by the non-cosmetic portions I could do without, I don't want boosters and I can wait for far better plat discounts - but you're trying to make a four day mad dash of purchases for the old packs.

For one fleeting moment I thought, "Oh crap, I better actually do that thing I've been toying with the idea of doing".

Then I realised what was happening in my lizard brain and no. Hell with that. It's not suddenly more worth it just because it's now or never.

Digital content. You have no reason to retire it other than creating artificial scarcity.

What do you think about buy cosmetics with real money only?
OHgUpz9.png

Trust me, the cosmetics are awesome, but we should have the option to buy them in game with plat (at the end of the day someone pay real money for it, rigth?)
When I saw the empyream pack i was so sad because i really love that glyph but it was only available with real money, i know, the prime acceses and vault should be buy with real money, but why this cosmetics? (and the itzal armor u,u)

Huh, very mixed feelings about this one:

On the one hand, I get that packs like that - similar to Prime Access - are important to keep the lights on. And as somebody who finds Prime Access too pricey to get regularly, having a Prime Access "Lite" that rolls out 1-2x a year with some cool stuff is something I'd actually like.

On the other hand, this is kind of feels a bit scummy with locking so much stuff that was front-and-centre during TennoCon behind a non-plat wall, combined with the extra dose of FOMO by rotating old packs out without any indication whether they'll return (unlike Prime Access, where we know it'll return). The last one really feels disappointing, since it's something DE didn't really do before and that helped to set it apart from other F2P offerings (real money FOMO items).

Would be nice to get some clarification on how this is being handled going forward.

1 hour ago, DraekoSilver said:

DE as a company has been like this for awhile. It seems like no one is talking to each other. Why piss off fans a day before asking them to buy stuff? Madness.

It's been a downhill situation since Liches, though it had been an issue long before that but never this bad. It's just getting worse and worse, too.

Deadlock has been the only passable content drop in almost half a year, maybe longer.

And I fully agree, the timing is not only horrible, but really shady considering the seemingly high paywall.

There's a huge lack in transparency going on behind decisions and im really getting burnt out as it just is not getting better.

5 minutes ago, EtherPigeon said:

Huh, very mixed feelings about this one:

On the one hand, I get that packs like that - similar to Prime Access - are important to keep the lights on. And as somebody who finds Prime Access too pricey to get regularly, having a Prime Access "Lite" that rolls out 1-2x a year with some cool stuff is something I'd actually like.

On the other hand, this is kind of feels a bit scummy with locking so much stuff that was front-and-centre during TennoCon behind a non-plat wall, combined with the extra dose of FOMO by rotating old packs out without any indication whether they'll return (unlike Prime Access, where we know it'll return). The last one really feels disappointing, since it's something DE didn't really do before and that helped to set it apart from other F2P offerings (real money FOMO items).

Would be nice to get some clarification on how this is being handled going forward.

18 minutes ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

I have to agree with the criticism about using FOMO to sell these cosmetics.

For a while I was considering using some spare unexpected Steam wallet funds to grab some of those things which are (now) being replaced, but I've been waiting because, well, it's a cosmetic and I'm in a situation in life where I have to be very frugal with any disposable funds.

Reading this, not only are you putting more of these unsavoury price tags on things - as always, they're going to be inflated by the non-cosmetic portions I could do without, I don't want boosters and I can wait for far better plat discounts - but you're trying to make a four day mad dash of purchases for the old packs.

For one fleeting moment I thought, "Oh crap, I better actually do that thing I've been toying with the idea of doing".

Then I realised what was happening in my lizard brain and no. Hell with that. It's not suddenly more worth it just because it's now or never.

Digital content. You have no reason to retire it other than creating artificial scarcity.

All the other nerf-centric whining I've seen in this thread is baffling too me, but you two got a real good point.

This is the kind of thing where I'm usually ok spending an amount I'm comfortable with purely for the sake of supporting development of the otherwise free game, and getting some flavored swag in return.

But it's a fine line between exploitative sales tactics and honest frivolous premium commerce, and that line is defined by the communication and presentation.  And both of you are making a very good point that DE needs to be very careful with how it's coming to its customers with things like this!

I'm on ps4. We get Renown packs there. (Every platform has their own version) Those are non platinum purchases. One of those packs contained the Obsidian Ephemera. There was not outcry then. These hard cash paywalls aren't anything new. So let's not pretend that they are.

I understand being upset at the changes being made to the HoD update, (I am disappointed as well) but there is a forum post for that topic.

Besides, speaking with your wallet, will speak louder than any forum post.

Wow, and I was really looking forward for these weapons when they were shown at Tennocon.

I would even pay the plat for the skins, but paying real money for them is out of question.

You guys REALLY should make these bundles for plat, I actually NEVER saw people using the Iztal Armor set, nor I know people that own it.

23 minutes ago, (PS4)WretchedMoon said:

Besides, speaking with your wallet, will speak louder than any forum post.

A) The outcry is mostly because its content shown on livestreams that people thought they would be able to buy with plat. If we can buy with plat, DE failed by not giving info.

B) Support packs are a niche. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a low sale target for them. But people are still gonna throw money at the packs(can't resist, not informed, don't care, whiteknight etc). I'm willing to bet many of the pissed players have bought platinum, prime access, prime vault but never bought the support pack.

C) People are pissed at the Helminth changes. And then DE came and announced support packs for the update(arguably the worst thing you can spend money on of all the monetization options)

33 minutes ago, (PS4)WretchedMoon said:

I'm on ps4. We get Renown packs there. (Every platform has their own version) Those are non platinum purchases. One of those packs contained the Obsidian Ephemera. There was not outcry then. These hard cash paywalls aren't anything new. So let's not pretend that they are.

For me, it's mostly the FOMO aspect which feels scummy. Having the occasional hard paywall is fine - most are okay with Prime Accessories, because they clearly communicated how the system works, how long they are around and so on.

Here, we have items that were obtainable for months being pulled with four days warning and no communication regarding the how and why. And being transparent and fair about their monetisation was one of Warframe's hallmarks and one of the reasons it's a F2P that's not seen as scummy. Expecting the same transparency that resulted in so much praise for DE's monetisation strategy isn't too crazy, I'd like to think.

It's also a bit worrying - is this going to be a regular thing going forward (non-transparent monetisation using strategies like that)? So it's less "Ithis is the worst ever" and more "uh-oh, why the change?"

Archived