Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New take on PvP

Archillusive

Hello Digital Extremes! Fellow Ninjas

The reason for contacting you guys is that PvP on Warframe isn't all that it can be ( Overall the game is great ) especially with each Warframe having its own set of abilities, having a unique and creative look, and although some are stronger than others, they each have a particular play style that suits the players needs in order to have fun. 

PvP does appeal to some, and I can't say the majority neither, but it is something we all try or would do from time to time for fun or take a break from questing / grinding.  PvP  with most games, trying to balance the game, developers and programmers would smash their keyboards and a mouse would go flying across the office, and maybe even a sharpie - that might have been mistaken for a ninja star - who knows! 

But balance would be required to some extent, which I think would be more focused on the layout of the map and the objectives, with a few Warframes or adjustments made to their set of abilities to a set duration when playing the match, like Limbo for example... But allow me to get started by what I mean and what I would like to suggest.

As for the set numbers, it can vary from 3v3 - 4v4 - 5v5.
Each player would select a role they would prefer before queing for the match. Each role plays an important one ( but first you must complete a trial for each role and must have X Warframes to que ) So what I have in mind, is that each group starts on opposite ends, on opposite sides on separate platforms that each group could see the other from across from one another and the progress being made pushing forward. ( Or certain parts of the map you can see ) 
And this in particular would work awesome with the map falling to new areas as well.

So the object is to win objectives, and each objective won makes the opposing team suffer a penalty, less armor, stronger mobs, larger waves, tougher puzzles, locked abilities for set duration, player stasis give them an edge  ( 1 out of X is paralyzed for 10-15 seconds )  hacking, basically everything in the game is used in some way that each Warframe can shine. And banning can be made, to make it a bit more competitive.

But the game is won based on how far the other team makes it, with a timer that counts down or when the objective is met, which all players must be on the platform at the end as they compete.

As you start the match, standing on the platform, it counts down, you're faced with waves, and not a slow start neither, wave 10-15 and as the time counts down, at certain points, objectives would pop up  for each side to compete, and always requiring that one leaves ( enter an area, placed, or falls to ) and at times requires 2  ( having to both push a key, platform, hack ect ) and whoever won, gains the advantage by the opposing team suffering which ever penalty is set for that objective. 

For example; Hacking does paralysis, defending an objective, the opposing team suffers from ammo dropping, not solving the puzzle, makes the next wave stronger ect, and during the game when main objectives aren't available, somebody is trying to disable the opposing team by trying to make the waves stronger, performing minor tasks which would require a sprinter ( although it doesn't have to be ) or couldn't because the task that was won chose the selected sprinter to be disabled on its next objective by a vote that was made having won it and having selected their sprinter. Tasks would require them to go from one side to the next with mobs in-between trying to pull them ect preventing them from getting it, either it be something they had to hack, push a button, or what the case may be

if a tie happens, they both return and continue to compete in pushing forward and completing side objectives, apply pressure and pushing through until the next main objective happens

Defender role has to enter, is placed, or falls to an objective he / she  has to defend against, and requires only solo play and its tough

Disabler has to enter, is placed, or falls to an area that it requires that you hack, and sometimes requires that there be two people 

Sprinter has to enter, is placed, or falls to an area that has to solve a puzzle like baroos treasure, also best at running back and forth between minor objectives 

Support has to enter, is placed, or falls to an objective that requires that he/she  does one of the 3 objectives ( which also consists of the support mainly be pulled to assist when it requires two for the objective ) 

Each role would be
Sprinter ( puzzles, minor objectives ) 
Defender ( tank, better at solo play )
Disabler ( hacker, keeps waves in check )
Support ( heals / buffs, has to  do 1 of 3 objectives) 
I'm sure others can be made, these are just examples.
Concept can be changed to suit a variety of themes, on land, ships, space, portals.
That's more or less the concept, competing by applying pressure and winning objectives, on a medium to large sized map, where each role matters, that ranges from  25 - 30 minute matches.

Thank you for your time, keep up the good work! And I do hope you consider it! Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

56 minutes ago, Archillusive said:

balance would be required to some extent

Yeah, however, balance is also an ongoing task. Balancing the entire game "once" is pointless if changes keep breaking balance randomly and these minor unbalances don't get fixed or rebalanced and start to pile up. The current iteration of conclave is already having issues thanks to DE's habit of doing something cool and then forgetting about it indefinitely while changes around it start to make it tear slowly.

58 minutes ago, Archillusive said:

Each player would select a role they would prefer before queing for the match.

Role locking? Ngl, that killed overwatch to me since if the player(s) on any role aren't good at fulfilling their tasks the entire team is pretty much screwed since nobody can join swap his own role for the one lacking and make up for that lack of experience/skill/whatever.

1 hour ago, Archillusive said:

Mode description: [Is this gambit?]

Didn't see anything about direct confrontation which makes the entire concept feel like PvE with additional steps.

where each role matters

Well, i usually dislike when people say stuff along the lines of "pvp is toxic", however, cooperation is indeed quite toxic and specially when each role in the team matters and everyone can lose just because a single player made a mistake.

that ranges from  25 - 30 minute matches

Even though i'm fine with the current 10 minute matches, i've seen people complain that this is too long already. Since warframe is intended to be a fast paced game (that we can play its PvE with over 75% of our brains disconnected by holding M1+W while mashing 4 around every 7 seconds and still win beat almost every single mission is a different topic) one should expect match lenght to be balanced around the spected pace of the matches, and based on that alone 25-30 minutes sounds like too much for warframe (it sounds reasonable for other type of games like Age of Empires II and perhaps even LoL, HotS, etc. Mostly strategy based games than action shooters, IMO)

Archived