Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trinity Thoughts

Solution9

Heya.

My main Warframe is Trinity and I absolutely love it. I started playing only 2 weeks ago and I instantly knew she was the way for me.
Since I am new I have not tried the "old" Trinity (playstyle, abilities and so on).

A few thoughts I have had the last 140 hours of play.

Well of Life:
Well of Life seems like a waste of space in the Warframe. I often play with friends and not even there it is of any benefit. I can't think of a scenario where I would want to use it.
Personally I would love to change this ability to either:

-Trinity uses this ability on herself (like Link) and radiates health to nearby team members.
or
-When Well of Life is used it will create a circle on the ground. When players stand in this circle they regenerate health.

Energy Vampire:
This spell I like a lot, and my teammates also like it a lot. Since we voice communicate I can tell them where and when an enemy is being harvested, and they will leave it alone.
In public games however, the target will just get blasted down Probably because people can't see, or have no idea of what it is doing.
Personally I don't care about that last part.
What boggles my mind though, is that when I equip mods with +Power Duration it weakens Energy Vampire. Granted that the target is stunned for a longer period of time, but that is not why Energy Vampire is cast in the the first place.
This is really annoying, because either I choose to buff the duration of Blessing and Link OR I choose to get energy with Energy Vampire faster.
Edit: This was actually the reason of this thread to begin with.

Thoughts on changes:
-Simply remove time variable on Energy Vampire so +Power Duration can be utilized for Blessing and Link.

or

-For every 20% duration or so that is added to Energy Vampire's duration, add another tick to Energy Vampire.

Link:
Link is awesome to say the least.

Though I wonder why the reflected damage is capped at 3 at max rank. It works fine in the beginning of a survival/defense or at lower tier missions. But is laughable further up the difficulty ladder.

Thoughts:
-Chance the reflected damage to 10% / 20% / 30% / 40% or whatever is balanced.

Blessing:

Again an awesome spell.
However the UI makes this spell fairly hard to use. Now I like when things are hard and you need to think but I also want it to be fair.
The effect of Blessing is fine but as said, the UI kinda spoils this great ability.

Thoughts:
-Add a blue shield bar under the teammate's health bars when "Z" is clicked.

and

-Apply invulnerability as soon as the spell button is clicked and health/shield when the animation ends.

Lastly I want to say that that Trinity is a great frame for pure supporters. There are plenty of pure damage dealers and damage/supporters and Trinity offers a nice frame for us who just want to support.
Furthermore my friends like to have Trinity tagging along, and that is what a supporter likes to hear!

Edited by Solution9

WoL is needed for EV in randoms, put WoL on a heavy first and then EV. watch how he's still the energy piñata but can't do anything and he'll die either way

if you press your hotkey for 'team status' you can see the amount of shields and health they have left. if you're playing trinity just activate it at the start and leave it open (and close it for a bit if you need to see chat)

I love my trinity as well, and vauban might suit your tastes as well since it's the frame for defence support

Great points - let me add my views as someone who've yet to play as Trinity, but have, of course, played with someone using the frame. (The OP, actually).

Energy Vampire: Telegraph
I agree that there are certain scenarios where the telegraph of Energy Vampire is insufficient, for example when Link has latched onto the same target. The Link colour trumps the permanent - correct me if I'm wrong - blue colouration of Energy Vampire, and the only visual indicator is a very faint blue "shimmer". While Energy Vampire also causes the target to float, it's my impression that the target bugs out of its stun so often that it can be quite difficult to reliably single out the "active" target; to the vexation of the Trinity user.

Or to put it bluntly, even when using voice communication and thereby knowing the location of the target, as soon as there's more than one, distinguishing them is often hard - unless the ability did not bug out in any way.

Energy Vampire: Stun
On an additional note, it seems to happen quite often that any other stun applied to an already stunned target nullifies the first stun, regardless of whether or not the first stun would have actually lasted longer.

While it's not a big issue with most other abilities, since the goal is to kill the target anyway, when that purpose shifts to that of having it support the players, having the target suddenly rampaging around while under the influence of, for example, Energy Vampire, is quite frustrating - less so when communicating by voice chat, but I can imagine many times more so for Trinity players in Pubs.

With no insight into what exactly is causing the bug, my initial - very unenlightened - thoughts, is that any applied stun supersedes any previous stun, instead of actually checking which stun has the longest duration at the point of the application of the second stun, or perhaps more balanced, simply ignoring any stun applied during the period of the initial stun.

In other words, if a Trinity frame casts Energy Vampire on an enemy stunned by, let's say, Rhino's stomp, the same thing will happen as now: When Stomps stun is terminated, the enemy is no longer stunned, but it would still have Energy Vampire active.
Conversely, if the Rhino frame stomps after Energy Vampire has been cast, the initial stun (Energy Vampire) will trump that of Stomp, and the target remains stunned for the duration of Energy Vampire - regardless of whatever other stuns are applied during that time.

Team indicator:
While it is, of course, true that one can see the numerical values of both health and shield, they are extremely arbitrary - especially in pubs.
There is no indication of what the shield maximum of that particular player is, and while there also isn't any "total" numerical value shown for life, the fact that there's a bar representing that nullifies that "issue".
Ideally, a visual (bar) representation of both Health and Shields should be added. Given how hectic the game can be, especially in situations where you're more likely to want to keep an eye on the state of your team-mates, the lack of a clear and easy way of gleaning such information is the proverbial fuel on the fire.
All in all, a standard blue and red bar would do wonders in terms of helping players gauging when someone is in trouble, before it's too late - more so for Trinity frames, I'd imagine.
Additionally, one might also consider adding an Energy indicator - just to help gauge the overall condition of the team.

Lastly, since we are on the team-related UI, I'll permit myself to post a slight off-topic suggestion: Change the colour of the player-set minimap waypoints to something other than the same colour as the mini-map icon for "remaining enemies".

In any case, some of the frustrations the OP are frustrations I as a "supportee" share. :)

Edited by Santiak

The hugest problem with well of life for me is really, the fact it is a single target kind of thing.

Well of life momentary boosts any monsters health while also emitting pulses of health and kinda suspending them in air.

Which is GREAT, considering health doesn't regenerate by itself, unless you have an aura for it or an item for it.

Since it is single target, we kind of need an enemy to cast it to, while in the same pressure to run away from enemies or to not get killed by any enemy.

(make it hard to target any enemy when in heat)

What you might not know, is that you can improve the amount of health gained with the focus mod and that you actuality get health back too when you fire at that enemy.  Which is amazingly effective against strong enemies in which you would want to get rid of for a while and use at your benefit.

Whereas Blessing, you might also consider knowing that it is not the kind of skill in which could save you when you are being attacked, but that should be cast when you are safe.

It heals everything and everyone, despite where they are AND makes your team invincible for a couple of secs/minutes. 

With regards to Well of Life I never use it either.  I know it's supposed to have some great synergy with Energy Vampire so mobs live long enough, but it slows down the pacing of the game at best, or is troll-worthy at worst if used on bosses. 

I still think both Well of life and Energy Vampire could benefit from a burst AoE from the target when said target dies.  This way Well of Life could drop the 10x hp buff and both EV and WoL could be useful even on the run.  EV would likely need to give less of an energy burst on target death the longer the target was afflicted with EV.

I wholeheartedly agree on the issue of Link's damage.  Unless you've got Blessing active as well then get hit by Ogris self damage or the laser beams in T3 orokin defense maps the damage from Link is a drop in the bucket compared to mob health.

Regarding Blessing, the blue bar on the UI would be nice but I don't see it as necessary since I've gotten used to the duration of the invincibility and effect of it on Trinity.  A handy QoL thing, but I don't know if dev resources would be best spent making it (though I'm not a programmer so I don't know how easy/difficult such a change would be).  As nice as it would be to give team invulnerability with zero downtime, I can't quite agree with that one for balance purposes.  I think there needs to be *some* downtime or it's just OP.

While I'm thinking of UI changes related to Trinity... it would be nice if the "z" team window didn't cover the chat window.

WoL is needed for EV in randoms, put WoL on a heavy first and then EV. watch how he's still the energy piñata but can't do anything and he'll die either way

if you press your hotkey for 'team status' you can see the amount of shields and health they have left. if you're playing trinity just activate it at the start and leave it open (and close it for a bit if you need to see chat)

I love my trinity as well, and vauban might suit your tastes as well since it's the frame for defence support

As Santiak said,

Team indicator:

While it is, of course, true that one can see the numerical values of both health and shield, they are extremely arbitrary - especially in pubs.

There is no indication of what the shield maximum of that particular player is, and while there also isn't any "total" numerical value shown for life, the fact that there's a bar representing that nullifies that "issue".

Ideally, a visual (bar) representation of both Health and Shields should be added. Given how hectic the game can be, especially in situations where you're more likely to want to keep an eye on the state of your team-mates, the lack of a clear and easy way of gleaning such information is the proverbial fuel on the fire.

All in all, a standard blue and red bar would do wonders in terms of helping players gauging when someone is in trouble, before it's too late - more so for Trinity frames, I'd imagine.

Additionally, one might also consider adding an Energy indicator - just to help gauge the overall condition of the team.

Of course we can see the current shield of a teammate, but the numbers are relative since every player has a different amount of shield.

A clear blue line to indicate, maybe even along with the current/max shield/hp values would in my head be the optimal.

Regarding Blessing, the blue bar on the UI would be nice but I don't see it as necessary since I've gotten used to the duration of the invincibility and effect of it on Trinity.  A handy QoL thing, but I don't know if dev resources would be best spent making it (though I'm not a programmer so I don't know how easy/difficult such a change would be).  As nice as it would be to give team invulnerability with zero downtime, I can't quite agree with that one for balance purposes.  I think there needs to be *some* downtime or it's just OP.

I'm not completely sure where you are heading.

The blue bar I mentioned was to indicate how much shield the players have, not how much time there is left on the invulnerability effect :)

Regarding the current Well of Life ability.

While Energy Vampire also lowers the pace of the game in most missions, it is really shining in defense/survival maps. So on that part I think Energy Vampire is fine as it is. I'm am only questioning the effect +Power Duration mods have on the ability.

Well of Life on the other hand is not beneficial even in defense/survival missions. Right, it can be used in conjunction with Energy Vampire, but in my mind an ability should not require another ability to be useful.

Furthermore. Well of Life require teammates to shoot at the target which will never happen in a defense/survival mission. They have better things to do than to track down the green mofo and shoot it to gain health.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by Solution9