Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

the Mechs are ugly and do not seem orokin design

dragonborn0998

13 minutes ago, (XB1)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

These look like machine warriors that the aztec would have made. 

The Entire Theme in Deimos seem to be inspired by Aztecs/Mayans.
The Myth about the Day fighting again the Night "Fass vs Vome" and all that...

Star Trek TNG also adopted this in their Episode called " Masks".
Masaka vs Korgano.

1 hour ago, Vyra said:

I suspect that you're so off base that you are infact looking at the opposite side of the world (or ocean, at least).

Ptolemaic Egypt is probably the most apt "theme" to Deimos. Necropolis is Greek for City of the Dead, Predasites are all named after important Egyptian roles, the writing and symbology is very reminiscent of hieroglyphs, the hidden doors and statues were a big thing about the Pyramids.  I'm certain that there are other parallels as well to be drawn.

Bound to be influences from other cultures as well, Sepulcrum is from Sepulchre, which is Latin for example. The Entire Theme however is decidedly not Aztec/Mayan.

Edit: All the "pillars" are obelisks.

1 hour ago, ebrl said:

"The lore" first says and then proves the exact opposite at different points in the quest, doesn't it?

The Grineer in Warframe's present time have centuries of accumulated clone rot, they weren't made to look like cancer on legs.

Warframe lore is one giant retcon. You’ll get used to it. 

I think you'll need to take a look at warframes again (e.g. Nekros, who by the way, drops from Deimos). Their theme isn't "beauty". They're meant to do any of awe, terrify, inspire. Some of them would be completely non-functional except for space magic with all the hooks, spines, protrusions, and dangly bits.

The Orokin built their war machines for *presence* on the battlefield (of which beauty is just one type).

2 hours ago, ebrl said:

"The lore" first says and then proves the exact opposite at different points in the quest, doesn't it?

Remember, better at Sentient fighting. Sentients are highly mobile targets with Subversion capabilities. By contrast, the Necramechs are, quite frankly, sluggish and whilst it's stated there was counter-sentient shielding, it's quite likely it wasn't 100%, unlike your average Warframe, which is completely immune since it has void juice pumping through it 24/7. Also considering how relatively easy it is to take command of a Necramech, Father hooked them up in, like... a couple minutes, an hour tops depending on timeskip? Imagine how easy that'd have been for a Sentient to Jury-rig.

The Entrati continued to use them because they were just as good as Warframes at countering Infested (and thus survived the Purge because there weren't any Tenno around to Order 66 them), but they fell out of favour in general because Warframes were better at fighting Sentients, and far more personable.

4 hours ago, dragonborn0998 said:

theyre meant to be made by the orokin, which guild everything in gold and expanded into the void with beautifully crafted ships and pedastal prime and then you have.. Corn mech. It seriously looks like a Corn with guns or even better... Butt plug mech. I couldn't play the mech without noticing its weird raindrop body and its twiggy little arms with over sized blastars and mech hands that i would draw for a stick figures back when i was 7.

i dont see why the orokin would ever make somethig so clunky and ugly and then pop out with these warframes that look like the guy the orokin told the mechs not to worry about.

well, they were built during the old war, and when you're building something during a massive conflict, one of the first liberties to be taken is appearance, because nobody cares how it looks, only that it works. form before function.

one of my favourite examples IRL is the Sten Submachinegun. made during WW2 in vast numbers, it is incredibly basic, little more than an angry tube with gun parts in it, and ugly as sin. but it worked. it was easy to produce quickly and it did the job it was supposed to do. the same thing likely occurred here: there was no time to make them as pretty as they wanted, they needed these NOW. plus the pilots are technically dead anyway, so they won't care how they look. and the Entrati aesthetic isn't for everyone, though I quite like it.

can't wait to build my own Corncob Killing Machine!

5 hours ago, dragonborn0998 said:

theyre meant to be made by the orokin, which guild everything in gold and expanded into the void with beautifully crafted ships and pedastal prime and then you have..

Necramechs predate all of that. If you take a look at humans, you'll see us changing our fashion every half a decade. You see what humans are wearing now? Bruh, we used to coat everything in arsenic and wear plastic that would combust randomly. And now you have... You're dealing with probably thousands of years of difference here. Mother, Father... they are OLD. Their technology powers everything the Orokin later used to build these ships and to sail the void. We used to travel on horseback, and horses they crap in the street and stink and are generally ugly animals.

Also, necramechs are sweet.

If you pay attention closely, you'll see that really are a mix or Orokin and Grineer designs; Bulbous and grotesques shapes, adorned in black or white with gold accents & filigree. The Orokin created the Grinner as a sort of slave/labour class, and I imagine similar design philosophies went into their war machines. "Making a slave race to deal with our problems" is about the most Orokin thing you can do. Keep in mind also that the towers and Orokin themselves are designed to look sleek and beautiful; what we're seeing here and what we see in the Grineer is probably something the Orokin think looks intimidating. 

3 hours ago, ebrl said:

Not really, no. The only reason you have to use a mech in the quest is to show off the new gameplay system because of abnormal circumstances. And even then a lot of players felt like they could kill more quickly in their frames.

3 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Says who? They were slaves. The Orokin wouldn't have taken steps to make them attractive.

In the cinematic from the new player quest (Awakening or something I think? DE reused that awesome trailer from last year for it) we see what an orokin era grineer looks like. Not at all the hideous cancer monster that modern grineer do.

Though damn if I don't want those grakata primes they had in that cinematic.

Just now, Cpl_Facehugger said:

In the cinematic from the new player quest (Awakening or something I think? DE reused that awesome trailer from last year for it) we see what an orokin era grineer looks like. Not at all the hideous cancer monster that modern grineer do.

Though damn if I don't want those grakata primes they had in that cinematic.

I'll take your word for it. I'm too lazy to watch things.

Wasn't that trailer created by someone else? Presumably endorsed by DE, but I could try and argue artistic licence... But again. Too lazy. Would need to watch the video to try that. Ah, what a conundrum.

8 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Wasn't that trailer created by someone else? Presumably endorsed by DE, but I could try and argue artistic licence... But again. Too lazy. Would need to watch the video to try that. Ah, what a conundrum.

EAbXQZqWsAAhrkn.jpg

15 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

~snip~

You're the real MVP. Strange seeing a supposed Grineer not looking horrifying. Doesn't feel quite right.

Interestingly he does still look dead on the inside (takes one to know one), so he's halfway there to current Grineer who are just... dead all over.

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

You're the real MVP. Strange seeing a supposed Grineer not looking horrifying. Doesn't feel quite right.

Interestingly he does still look dead on the inside (takes one to know one), so he's halfway there to current Grineer who are just... dead all over.

Well they were an engineered work force, it wasn't till after the fall of the empire that their attempts to keep cloning themselves that their deformities began to show in mass as there was genetic break down.

Though apparently even the orokin had defectives but they just disposed of them.

6 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

But imagine a whole handsome work force in the mines.

blue steel GIF

5 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Though apparently even the orokin had defectives but they just disposed of them.

Waste of a good meal.

1 minute ago, Firetempest said:

But imagine a whole handsome work force in the mines.

blue steel GIF

I was just about to settle down for the night, don't go getting me all excited.

5 hours ago, Vyra said:

The Myth about the Day fighting again the Night "Fass vs Vome" and all that...

Star Trek TNG also adopted this in their Episode called " Masks".
Masaka vs Korgano.

2 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

1 hour ago, Firetempest said:

EAbXQZqWsAAhrkn.jpg

Yes, DE outsourced it to some guy in Hollywood or something. 

Here: 

Archived