Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Berserker Frame & Suggested Powers

castem

So, I've been thinking about the Berserker that'll be released sometime in the future and what kinds of powers it should have. There's a thread (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/121388-raging-over-the-zerker-frame/ ) that already shows us some ideas of what her powers might look like, and I was not a big fan of them. Therefore, I thought I'd try my hand at it.

Basically, being a Berserker, I figure there's a few things she'll need:
- a way to stay alive. If she goes down quickly in a fight, she's not much of a berserker – she's more of a liability.
- a way to ignore/nullify CC. Being a berserker, she should be able to ignore most (if not all) of what the enemy throws at her and stay right in the enemy's face.
- melee prowess. Given the current situation of melee in Warframe, simply saying “you've got a melee weapon, now go melee everyone” isn't going to work. The berserker's gotta be a cut above the rest.

With those in mind, here are the berserker powers I'm proposing:

Set 1 – the first set of powers for the berserker I suggested

Bloodlust – 25 Energy
When activated, the death of nearby enemies heals you for 4/6/8/10% of your maximum health (or shields, if your health is full). This bonus is doubled for enemies the Berserker personally kills herself using a melee weapon. Bloodlust lasts for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

Rampage – 35 Energy
When activated, you nullify all CC (knockdowns, staggers, etc) used against you for 5/10/15/20 seconds. Each time you are hit by an attack or power that has CC attached to it, you lose 50/40/30/20% of your total shields (or health, if your shields are depleted).

Berserk – 50 Energy
When activated, your melee damage increases by up to 100/200/300/400%; the melee damage bonus you actually receive depends on how much health and shields you have lost since Berserk was activated. The more health and shields lost, the higher the melee damage bonus. Berserk lasts for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

Undying Rage – 100 Energy
When activated, the Berserker receives a buff for 5/10/15/20 seconds. If this buff is active when the Berserker reaches zero health, then the Berserker does not go down upon reaching zero health. Instead, the Berserker remains alive and is given 4/6/8/10 seconds to kill as many enemies as possible. If 14/12/10/8 enemies are killed by the Berserker while she remains at zero health, the Berserker is automatically revived at the end of Undying Rage. The Berserker cannot be healed or revived while at zero health until Undying Rage has ended. If Undying Rage ends before the berserker has gotten the required number of kills, then the berserker falls (which is what normally happens at zero health).

Set 2 – the set of berserker powers after taking feedback into consideration

Savage Leap – 25 Energy

The Berserker quickly leaps to the targeted enemy and lands with a powerful shockwave. This shockwave knocks down enemies within its area of effect. Enemies up to 10/15/20/30 meters away can be targeted. The shockwave affects all enemies within 5/8/12/15 meters of where the Berserker lands, and all enemies affected are dealt 25/50/75/100 damage.

Bloodlust – 25 Energy
When activated, the death of nearby enemies (enemies within 5 meters of you) heals you for 1/2/3/4% of your maximum health. This bonus is tripled for melee kills done by the Berserker. Bloodlust lasts for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

Rampage – 50 Energy
When activated, you nullify all CC (knockdowns, stagger, etc) used against you, and your melee damage, melee attack speed, and movement speed increase by a small amount for each enemy you kill (up to 20/30/40/50% increase maximum) while Rampage is active. Rampage lasts for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

When activated, all Berserker powers currently active are refreshed. In addition, for 5/10/15/20 seconds from activation, if the Berserker reaches zero health, she does not go down. Instead, the Berserker keeps fighting for 4/6/8/10 seconds. If the Berserker manages to kill 14/12/10/8 enemies in that amount of time, the Berserker automatically revives; if she does not, then the Berserker falls.

Set 3 – the set of berserker powers that's a fusion of Set 2 and the powers suggested by Carillon

Pounce – 25 Energy
The Berserker quickly leaps to the targeted enemy and lands with a powerful shockwave. This shockwave knocks down enemies within its area of effect. Enemies up to 10/15/20/30 meters away can be targeted. The shockwave affects all enemies within 5/8/12/15 meters of where the Berserker lands, and all enemies affected are dealt 25/50/75/100 damage.  While Berserk, the damage of Pounce is tripled.

Berserk – 35 Energy
The Berserker taps into her rage, going beserk.  While beserk, the Berserker is immune to CC (knockdowns, staggers, etc), gains a 40/60/80/100% increase to melee damage, and regains some health whenever she deals melee damage.  However, while berserk no ranged weapons may be used.  Berserk can be ended by activating the power again.

Fuel the Rage – 50 Energy
While activated, the Berserker gains energy while taking damage.  While Berserk, the Berserker also gains 10/15/20/30% increased movement speed during Fuel the Rage.  Fuel the Rage lasts 5/10/15/20 seconds.

When activated, all Berserker powers currently active are refreshed. In addition, for 5/10/15/20 seconds from activation, if the Berserker reaches zero health, she does not go down. Instead, the Berserker keeps fighting for 4/6/8/10 seconds. If the Berserker manages to kill 14/12/10/8 enemies in that amount of time, the Berserker automatically revives; if she does not, then the Berserker falls.  While Berserk, the duration of Undying Rage is tripled.  (This only applies to the activation time, not the fighting time.)

Of course, the numbers are all placeholders – they'll be changed as the berserker is being balanced. However, they should give a good indication of what the berserker and her powers would be like.

Let me know what you guys think of my suggestions!

EDIT: Set 2 created by altering set 1 with feedback/suggestions from people who've posted. The credit for Savage Leap goes to Hueminator (originally offered the idea) and Blinxo (refined the name, energy cost, and shockwave range; Blinxo also helped with the range of Bloodlust).  Set 3 was created by bringing together ideas from Set 2 and Carillon.

Edited by castem

I think she needs an assault skill.

My idea is

Leap to target or Teleport behind target and slam it to the ground, creating a shockwave (small radius) and deal low damage, but knock down all target.

This would be a nice addition because you can have a quick access to knockdown (which not every weapon have it), and easily follow up by a charge sweep, or use ground attack of melee.

I'll say this would be 50 energy cost.

Edited by Hueminator

Bloodlust – 25 Energy

When activated, the death of nearby enemies heals you for 4/6/8/10% of your maximum health (or shields, if your health is full). This bonus is doubled for enemies the Berserker personally kills herself using a melee weapon. Bloodlust lasts for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

Rampage – 35 Energy

When activated, you nullify all CC (knockdowns, staggers, etc) used against you for 5/10/15/20 seconds. Each time you are hit by an attack or power that has CC attached to it, you lose 50/40/30/20% of your total shields (or health, if your shields are depleted).

Berserk – 50 Energy

When activated, your melee damage increases by up to 100/200/300/400%; the melee damage bonus you actually receive depends on how much health and shields you have lost since Berserk was activated. The more health and shields lost, the higher the melee damage bonus. Berserk lasts for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

When activated, the Berserker receives a buff for 5/10/15/20 seconds. If this buff is active when the Berserker reaches zero health, then the Berserker does not go down upon reaching zero health. Instead, the Berserker remains alive and is given 4/6/8/10 seconds to kill as many enemies as possible. If 14/12/10/8 enemies are killed by the Berserker while she remains at zero health, the Berserker is automatically revived at the end of Undying Rage. The Berserker cannot be healed or revived while at zero health until Undying Rage has ended. If Undying Rage ends before the berserker has gotten the required number of kills, then the berserker falls (which is what normally happens at zero health).

Of course, the numbers are all placeholders – they'll be changed as the berserker is being balanced. However, they should give a good indication of what the berserker and her powers would be like.

Bloodlust would allow the Berserker to stay alive, especially when paired with the extreme melee killing power of Berserk.  Rampage would allow the Berserker to ignore all CC, letting her focus on killing enemies with melee.  Undying Rage is there for when Bloodlust simply isn't enough, as it allows her to keep killing even when she normally would've died already.

Let me know what you guys think of my suggestions!

Bloodlust is too strong, at the rate enemies flock out and get mowed down it would essentially make you immortal for 20 seconds, unless of course you activate rampage which would likely kill you within a few seconds, it's basically a huge damage buff for enemies. Of course this does benefit berserk, but a 400% damage buff is huge, even if you only manage half of that it's a giant buff, but that is just a placeholder number as you said. The problem with these powers is that it surpasses synergy and ends up being reliant on using one or more of these powers at a time, only really undying rage can stand on it's own.

It's good but the way the powers work are fairly similar and it's pretty much just stat changes, not the most interesting gameplay mechanics.

lol Kreig inspired much? 

Jokes aside, i do like bloodlust and rage concept, but rampage is just.. It's realy weird, let's be honest. Why would you lose your sheild in return for CC immunity? Why not just play Rhino?

The reasoning behind losing your shield during Rampage is the fact that you're taking more damage by standing your ground (staying upright), rather than going with the momentum of the attack.  (You're going against the momentum of the stagger/knockdown, instead of with it, which leads to taking more damage, basically.  That's where the extra shield/health cost comes from.)

You can still play Rhino if you want a tankier frame.  The Berserker isn't so much a 'tank' as she is a berserker.  Her 'defensive' skills aren't supposed to be on par with Rhino's, so I didn't make them that way.  In a sense, I view the Rhino as offense through defense, whereas I view the Berserker as defense through offense.

In addition, with Rampage I wanted the Berserker to have easy access to CC immunity. Rampage would be the lowest cost CC immunity power in the game at 35 energy (compared to Rhino's Iron Skin, which costs 50, and Trinity's Link, which costs 75).

I think Rampage would just be a death sentence. If you consider Grineer (Shield Lancers, Scorpions, and each Heavy with a ground pound) it would be no problem for you to get caught by 4-10 of these and go down, not to mention runners. It's pretty common to see a pack of 5 or more runners coming at you, each of which is a stagger on legs. You'd be dead in no time with that. While I see that the berserker is meant to be like glass -- fragile but cuts deep -- those kinds of numbers just scream to me that this ability would be left to rot in the mod inventory, never to be equipped/used.

I think she needs an assault skill.

My idea is

Leap to target or Teleport behind target and slam it to the ground, creating a shockwave (small radius) and deal low damage, but knock down all target.

This would be a nice addition because you can have a quick access to knockdown (which not every weapon have it), and easily follow up by a charge sweep, or use ground attack of melee.

I'll say this would be 50 energy cost.

She needs a gap closing skill.

This is a must.

Bloodlust is too strong, at the rate enemies flock out and get mowed down it would essentially make you immortal for 20 seconds, unless of course you activate rampage which would likely kill you within a few seconds, it's basically a huge damage buff for enemies. Of course this does benefit berserk, but a 400% damage buff is huge, even if you only manage half of that it's a giant buff, but that is just a placeholder number as you said. The problem with these powers is that it surpasses synergy and ends up being reliant on using one or more of these powers at a time, only really undying rage can stand on it's own.

It's good but the way the powers work are fairly similar and it's pretty much just stat changes, not the most interesting gameplay mechanics.

I think Rampage would just be a death sentence. If you consider Grineer (Shield Lancers, Scorpions, and each Heavy with a ground pound) it would be no problem for you to get caught by 4-10 of these and go down, not to mention runners. It's pretty common to see a pack of 5 or more runners coming at you, each of which is a stagger on legs. You'd be dead in no time with that. While I see that the berserker is meant to be like glass -- fragile but cuts deep -- those kinds of numbers just scream to me that this ability would be left to rot in the mod inventory, never to be equipped/used.

All valid points.  I'll see if I can't come up with some variations of the powers and/or new powers to see if she can't have a more unique / less-death-sentence-like power set, while still retaining the berserker vibe.

you know, i was poking away at a skill set for her last night. interesting how much they've got in common with yours.

for feedback on your set, I'd say:

Bloodlust needs to do something in situations where there aren't all that many kills happening (ex. boss fights)

Undying rage probably shouldn't have a limited duration for it to trigger in, because you'll prolly wind up just wasting 100e or not being able to throw it up before you get plastered. alternatively, it could provide some other additional buff for the duration so you don't waste it if you don't get owned.

for reference, I'd gotten as far as this:

Pounce: (25e)
leaps at a single target, doing low damage and knocking down enemies in a small radius.

ANGRYSTANCE. (50e to swap between normalmode and ANGRYSTANCEMODE.)
50% damage reduction (or so)
+100% increased melee damage
immunity to crowd control/disruption/etc.
attempting to shoot guns will have her autoattack with melee weapon instead.

Killing Spree: (50?e)
melee attacks heal her for a % of the damage done.
whenever an enemy dies nearby, she heals a portion of her missing health.

Madness Call: (100e)
compels enemies within range to discard their weapons and focus their attacks on her.
(essentially, forcing them all into melee range with her.)

Great ideas. Much better than the ones I saw in the "rage" thread imo. Here's my take on what I would like to see.

Savage Leap – 25 Energy

The Berserker quickly leaps to the targeted enemy and lands with a powerful shockwave. This shockwave knocks down enemies within its area of effect. Enemies up to 10/15/20/30 meters away can be targeted. The shockwave affects all enemies within 5/8/12/15 meters of where the Berserker lands, and all enemies affected are dealt 50/100/250/500 damage.

-It will be essential for a melee class to have a gap closer and this skill would fulfill that perfectly. 

Bloodlust – 35 Energy
When activated, the death of nearby enemies heals you for 1/2/3/4% of your maximum health. This bonus is tripled for melee kills done by the Berserker. Bloodlust lasts for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

-A way for the berserker to sustain in melee.

Rampage – 50 Energy
When activated, you nullify all CC (knockdowns, stagger, etc) used against you. Additionally, your melee damage, melee attack speed, and movement speed increase by a small amount for each enemy you kill (up to 20/30/40/50% increase maximum) while Rampage is active. Rampage lasts for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

-This is an awesome way to for the player to FEEL like a berserker and it's also a great way to make melee viable.

Undying Rage – 100 Energy
When activated, all Berserker powers currently active will have their duration extended for 5/10/15/20 seconds. In addition, for 5/10/15/20 seconds from activation, if the Berserker reaches zero health, she does not go down. Instead, the Berserker keeps fighting for 10 seconds. If the Berserker manages to kill 7 enemies in that amount of time, the Berserker automatically revives; if she does not, then the Berserker falls.

-An interesting way for the berserker to deal with chaotic situations that would normally force players to run for cover. Also, it offers good risk vs reward in application.

Edited by Blinxo

you know, i was poking away at a skill set for her last night. interesting how much they've got in common with yours.

for feedback on your set, I'd say:

Bloodlust needs to do something in situations where there aren't all that many kills happening (ex. boss fights)

Undying rage probably shouldn't have a limited duration for it to trigger in, because you'll prolly wind up just wasting 100e or not being able to throw it up before you get plastered. alternatively, it could provide some other additional buff for the duration so you don't waste it if you don't get owned.

for reference, I'd gotten as far as this:

Pounce: (25e)

leaps at a single target, doing low damage and knocking down enemies in a small radius.

ANGRYSTANCE. (50e to swap between normalmode and ANGRYSTANCEMODE.)

50% damage reduction (or so)

+100% increased melee damage

immunity to crowd control/disruption/etc.

attempting to shoot guns will have her autoattack with melee weapon instead.

Killing Spree: (50?e)

melee attacks heal her for a % of the damage done.

whenever an enemy dies nearby, she heals a portion of her missing health.

Madness Call: (100e)

compels enemies within range to discard their weapons and focus their attacks on her.

(essentially, forcing them all into melee range with her.)

I'm liking a lot of your ideas.  I wonder if our two sets could be fused together somehow.

I'm imagining something like this:

25 energy power - your version of Pounce.  (Pounce and Berserker Leap seem quite similar, from what I've gathered.  Since it doesn't deal very much damage and only has a small radius, 25 energy seems about right.)

35 energy power - a modified version of your angry stance power.***  This 'stance/mode' will offer immunity to CC, increased melee damage, and she regains some health whenever she deals melee damage.  However, it'll prevent any use of ranged weapons.  (I figured the disallowing of all guns and the removal of your suggested damage reduction warranted a lowering of the power's cost to 35 energy.)

50 energy power - a new power, Enrage.^^^  Enrage brings the Berserker to the peak of her rage, causing her to sacrifice her own safety and health for more power and agility.  Enrage drains your health and shields, but in return you regenerate energy at a rapid rate and have an increased movement speed.  While you are in angry stance, any enemies killed while enraged also restore energy to teammates.

100 energy power - a modified version of Undying Rage.  The buffs Undying Rage provide have an indefinite duration (to activate), but only while in angry stance (they have a limited duration outside of angry stance).  The buffs of Undying Rage are:  the 'keep fighting after zero health' part (which still lasts only 10 seconds upon reaching zero health at max rank), a bonus to melee damage, and a bonus to melee attack speed.  The latter two are small, incremental increases, which get bigger as you take more and more damage from enemies (however, the bonuses would eventually be capped at a certain point).

I decided to go with my ultimate because I felt that Madness Call seemed too similar Loki's ultimate (basically forcing the enemies to use melee).  In addition, Undying Rage and angry stance seem to have more synergy with each other, in my opinion.

***I'm really digging the 'huge bonuses, but melee only' side of it, but I'm not sure about damage reduction.  I've never really thought of damage reduction as something 'berserker-like'.  I've always imagined that, rather than trying to resist or reduce damage, berserkers would use it to their advantage (fuel their rage).  In addition, I think it should have a different name (I realize angrystance might've just been a working title, but still).  I'd probably call it 'Berserk' or 'Rampage', as I'd think either would be fitting.

^^^Since angrystance, killing spree, bloodlust, and rampage have basically fused to become the new angry stance, I have no idea what this power should be.  I'd like it to be something that either recovers energy or gives some kind of buff to the group (so the Berserker would have at least some synergy with teammates), but I'm not sure exactly what kind of power it'd be.  As such, I'm basically making 'Enrage' as a suggestion for what the new power might be.  If you have a different power that's better, please let me know about it.

What do you think?

Great ideas. Much better than the ones I saw in the "rage" thread imo. Here's my take on what I would like to see.

Savage Leap – 25 Energy

The Berserker quickly leaps to the targeted enemy and lands with a powerful shockwave. This shockwave knocks down enemies within its area of effect. Enemies up to 10/15/20/30 meters away can be targeted. The shockwave affects all enemies within 5/5/10/15 meters of where the Berserker lands, and all enemies affected are dealt 25/50/75/100 damage.

-It will be essential for a melee class to have a gap closer and this skill would fulfill that perfectly.

Bloodlust – 50 Energy

When activated, the death of nearby enemies heals you for 1/2/3/4% of your maximum health. This bonus is tripled for melee kills done by the Berserker. Bloodlust lasts for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

-A way for the berserker to sustain in melee

Rampage – 50 Energy

When activated, you nullify all CC (knockdowns, stagger, etc) used against you, and your melee damage, melee attack speed, and movement speed increase by a small amount for each enemy you kill (up to 20/30/40/50% increase maximum) while Rampage is active. Rampage lasts for 5/10/15/20 seconds.

-This is an awesome way to for the player to FEEL like a berserker and it's also a great way to make melee viable.

Undying Rage – 100 Energy

When activated, all Berserker powers currently active are refreshed. In addition, for 5/10/15/20 seconds from activation, if the Berserker reaches zero health, she does not go down. Instead, the Berserker keeps fighting for 4/6/8/10 seconds. If the Berserker manages to kill 14/12/10/8 enemies in that amount of time, the Berserker automatically revives; if she does not, then the Berserker falls.

-An interesting way for the berserker to deal with chaotic situations that would normally force players to run for cover. Also, it offers good risk vs reward in application.

Glad to see you liked the powers!  I've got some questions for you though.  Why make Bloodlust 50 energy (up from 25)?  Do you think it's actually that powerful?  (I'm not being sarcastic here, I actually want to know.  I thought 4% health on dead enemies (12% on melee killed) was actually kinda low, which is why I put it as 25 energy.)  Also, do you think that 35 energy might be a better energy cost for it, instead of 25 or 50?

I can definitely see the move to 25 energy for the leap though.  I'm liking that idea more and more.

Glad to see you liked the powers!  I've got some questions for you though.  Why make Bloodlust 50 energy (up from 25)?  Do you think it's actually that powerful?  (I'm not being sarcastic here, I actually want to know.  I thought 4% health on dead enemies (12% on melee killed) was actually kinda low, which is why I put it as 25 energy.)  Also, do you think that 35 energy might be a better energy cost for it, instead of 25 or 50?

I can definitely see the move to 25 energy for the leap though.  I'm liking that idea more and more.

I'm not quite sure. It seems OP at 25. It depends on big the range is I guess. If it's only within like 5 meters or roughly melee range around the berserker than 25 would be appropriate. My only concern would be survival missions were there are so many enemies but I think 35 is better.

I'm not quite sure. It seems OP at 25. It depends on big the range is I guess. If it's only within like 5 meters or roughly melee range around the berserker than 25 would be appropriate. My only concern would be survival missions were there are so many enemies but I think 35 is better.

Agreed.  I'll specify that the range of it is only 5 meters around the Berserker.  Bloodlust shouldn't really be an 'at a distance' type of thing anyway, in my opinion.  This should also solve the problem of over-healing; even if there's a lot of enemies being killed, the Berserker will only get healing from enemies she's quite close to.

Edited by castem

the point of the damage reduction was really just to make her tougher in melee mode. i hadn't thought to put the healing on it, which accomplishes much the same thing. good call.

Thanks!

I went ahead and added a third set to the main post that's basically me trying to combine your ideas with mine.  Let me know if you have any suggestions regarding it (Set 3).

Personally, I like it, but I'm still not too sure about Fuel the Rage...if there's a better Berserker power, I wouldn't mind using it to replace Fuel the Rage.  I kind of came up with it on the spot, so I'm not too sure how good it is.

Edited by castem

Shes needs a good damage ult, preferably one that uses those whips of hers.

I've seen others suggest her going crazy with her melee weapon of hers.  To be honest, I'm not quite sure how I feel about them.

It already seems like every other frame out there has a 'damage' ultimate.  While I think it would make sense for a Berserker to have one, I'm not quite sure how it could be unique.  The best idea I can come up with is an ultimate that does insane damage (even more than Nova's), but only within a small (melee) range; this would allow it to be useful for killing bosses and taking down heavy units very quickly.  However, I'm not sure how well that would actually work in practice, considering the swarms of enemies Warframe usually throws at you, in addition to certain bosses having certain mechanics or hitboxes that'll mess up that ultimate (such as Vor's shields after reaching certain amounts of health and the new Golem's massive size).

That being said, I wouldn't mind a damage ultimate on the Berserker if they really made it well.  If you have some good ideas for the ultimate's power, range, effects, etc, I'm all ears.