Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent has Bought Leyou Technologies

(XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom

18 minutes ago, (XB1)TwinStripeUK said:

As long as the game makes a profit, Tencent won't even bother interfering.

Depends on the profit. Some companies consider less then 400% margin a loss.

lol, fortnite etc. are much much more famous and profitable games and maybe that's why not affected negatively

10 minutes ago, (XB1)TwinStripeUK said:

Worst case scenarion? Nothing changes in the game at all.

Well, not really.

Real Worst case scenario is all the doomsaying people say coming true, since at the end of the day it's within the realm of possibility. But that's still for any company, including Leyou or even really DE. What matters is what's within the realm of probability, and thus far, we have decent reason to believe that the arm of Tencent that'd be involved with Warframe isn't particularly interested.

That is, of course, assuming that this isn't just one news outlet jumping the gun since I can't find any other reference to this elsewhere.

nothing has changed since the last "scare". it's all about who possesses Creative Control and the rights to Warframe, which DE still have under lock and key. if that were to change, then we might have reason to be concerned, but until then, it's just big business making deals and shaking hands, nothing that concerns us mere mortals. 

Ideally there should be no changes observable.

at least that is my hope, Tencent has a much tighter management (when they feel like it) and i hope they get that through to warframe.

The creative aspects they usually do not touch,

The monetization though .... thats a different ball game.

1 hour ago, DonGheddo said:

Is this a bad thing , or a good thing for Warframe ?

1 hour ago, Numerikuu said:

As long as they allow DE/Warframe creative freedom and don't censor, muzzle or shackle them, or force godawful microtransaction crap on them, I couldn't care less.

Well, we'll know quite early about the direction they take based a very specific detail from earlier leaks months ago: Someone with an accurate leak record said that the intention is to go private.

If that happens then the leaker said DE would no longer have create control and even Steve could get fired if he goes against the direction Tencent wants. Not because of going private per se, but rather that it was what his source told him about the acquisition terms alongside the info of going private. 

If DE DON'T go private and the leaker is wrong, then look at Path of Exile. Tencent has been credited as having a positive influence.

1 hour ago, Galuf said:

Tencent has not destroyed Path of Exile at all. I believe it won't change much for us. They are maybe slightly more ethical even.

I don't think they can do much morse in WF. i mean, from shooter, to casual  grind game without shooter... To do worse they can just transform this into a click game ahahahaah

Why does anyone care about this ?

It's a takeover, right, it just means that the game has enough financial potential for investors to be interested.

Like if randoms on the forum would be well informed about this or be able to do anything.

Just cross your fingers that they don't pressure DE hard into making scummy practices, same as always for ANY investor.

One thing people should think of when they are worried about a "chinese" company being the owner is that Tencent is no longer majority owned by chinese shareholders. 1/3 of the company is owned by a south african company, then the rest is spread out over the world, from east to west, north and south, from the US, to Finland and to China. 

1 hour ago, vegetosayajin said:

Depends on the profit. Some companies consider less then 400% margin a loss.

lol, fortnite etc. are much much more famous and profitable games and maybe that's why not affected negatively

For years Riot (owned by Tencent) was actually throwing money in the trash to prop up E-Sports. All those side things they had before, all that time, operated at a loss. LoL, for a while, also barely made any money on a per user average, to the point EA, Ubisoft, etc were making fun of Riot and bragging how much more they would get. Their high income came from the fact there was so many people playing the game. It's why the last year/2 or so Riot had been cutting costs.

It's not much different than Epic throwing money around on pointless lawsuits, bribing developers, etc. 

Tencent seems to mainly care about their long term goal of collecting data to develop their own games. Tencent doesn't trust their own government and wants the US to make up a good portion of their income in case anything goes wrong back in China. The thing is though, the Chinese have a long history of failing at everything they try. This is why for a very long time now they've just been investing into things, and allowing them to continue on, whether they make a lot of money or not. They're mainly after the data so that they can succeed on their own.

People just like blaming them for garbage decisions Western devs make. Take Valorant, people blame Tencent, and ignore all the other pvp shooters with the same, or worse, monetization. Riot literally just copies and improves.

2 minutes ago, Yamazuki said:

For years Riot (owned by Tencent) was actually throwing money in the trash to prop up E-Sports. All those side things they had before, all that time, operated at a loss. LoL, for a

It was better than stealing money to addicted people with free to play games, for sure.

I believe the 1st initial change (if it doesn't exist already), will be to use the data collected to apply the social score, altought this only really matters if you plan on going to china to begin with, nontheless and given that players sometimes say things in chat that is considered by them as a "joke", it would be recomended that you discuss china related topics in apropriate locations and websites instead of using the warframe chat to do so, if criticism starts to appear or if youtubers discuss said topic, the wrong opinion may make you a target and if it ain't you it may be your boyfriend or your girlfriend.

This is only a concern if you have a public, the regular player couldn't care less really, but that doesn't mean they won't target your account, so use warframe chat to discuss warframe related topics, this is common sense and these rules have been here for years but i believe eventually there will be someone blaming the company for a ban of some sort, when in reality, pre aquisition warframe would have dealt in the same way.

5 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

One thing people should think of when they are worried about a "chinese" company being the owner is that Tencent is no longer majority owned by chinese shareholders. 1/3 of the company is owned by a south african company, then the rest is spread out over the world, from east to west, north and south, from the US, to Finland and to China. 

Nasper, the former State News media conglomerate for Apartheid South Africa, they diversified and sought to hedge their money in investments after the Apartheid fell. They never apologized for their involvement - management and company officially - though many of the employees signed apologies to that effect. Anyway, yeah Nasper was one of the big foreign backers when Pony Ma was first trying to incorporate the company and ironically Nasper's stake in the company is about 34% or such and worth more than the rest of their company combined. However the controlling stakes and home territorial law it obeys are Chinese mainland in the case of Tencent. Pony Ma, its founder has about an 8-9% stake after officially giving some of his non-voting shares to charities and several banking or international investment firms have large stakes in the company. A sanitized form of Nasper's history is https://www.companieshistory.com/naspers/

The problem for some players, and governments is really how closely Tencent works with the Chinese Government propaganda and information arms and their current roles helping censoring, tracking, and identifying folk using their apps particularly inside but even at times outside China. This has been said to be a glitch or malfunction in the case of censoring US or non-Chinese citizens; but not so much for the storing logs, and tracking data with methodology resembling the similar NSA US programs that almost none of us stateside feel comfortable with.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/29/751116338/china-intercepts-wechat-texts-from-u-s-and-abroad-researcher-says

Some of the Citizenlabs research NPR mentioned

https://citizenlab.ca/2020/05/we-chat-they-watch/

CBC if some prefer their coverage of the same story

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/wechat-surveillance-users-outside-china-1.5558503

Uncomfortable realities of using Tencent WeChat according to Freedomhouse

https://freedomhouse.org/article/worried-about-huawei-take-closer-look-tencent

Not to go too far in depth, but Uzabaze's Quartz article about how Tencent is used to help track and monitor the Ethnic Muslim Chinese.

https://qz.com/1719581/technology-liberated-chinas-uighur-minority-and-then-trapped-them/

Now, does any of this necessarily directly touch us players of Warframe? Maybe not. Most of us are outside China, and most us don't know or care much about those outside our own personal neighborhoods or bubbles; it is important to try to acknowledge and be aware of what is happening and might happen in the future with our association. I doubt very much anyone here has anything against the Chinese people; but some might not care for the actions of their government - hek - many of us in the states don't care much for our own admin have the time! But this isn't just an issue of our favorite game dev's owner being bought out but one that is just part of a growing trend not just in China but across the world.

Gentlemen and Ladies, if warframe is being sunk into the fire even further in depth of hell, I am prepare leave the ship but to our new captain of the ship better not sink it into hell because I am not going down with it.  I will remember it's was how it use to be and if Tencent sunk it into depth of hell I'll be leaving the ship as always.  For  I hope our new captain of the ship does not drive it's point what the game stand for to be full of corruption for I am willing not join hand.  If they did steer the ship right then they got my acknowledgement of my respect of that earning it as to be.

Archived