Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent has Bought Leyou Technologies

(XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom

Well, DE has barely monetized the game at all which is their own fault.

Their attempts are uncompetitive with normal play. Non-prime frames cost more than prime frames.

Endo on the store is incredibly non-competitive.

Warframe.market should be part of the game itself.

Rivens inaccessibility to most players because only ingame trade chat, instead of being integrated into the core UI.

Discovery of mods requires a 3rd party website to even learn that they exist, and then another 3rd party website to find a seller. (Arcanes do this well, discovery built into the UI)

In terms of monetizing the game, DE is completely asleep at the wheel.

20 minutes ago, Hokibukisa said:

Their attempts are uncompetitive with normal play. Non-prime frames cost more than prime frames.

Rivens inaccessibility to most players because only ingame trade chat, instead of being integrated into the core UI.

Discovery of mods requires a 3rd party website to even learn that they exist, and then another 3rd party website to find a seller. (Arcanes do this well, discovery built into the UI)

Because too much monetization can be seen as shark-like and predatory. I choose to spend money on the game because I felt they deserved it. But I also am lucky and have a decent job and was able to save money throughout life and have some minor freedoms. 

I actually left a game that monetized too much and found warframe. 

How long until mass hacked accounts like ggg and poe? If this is true then I'm done, I'll play destiny I guess and wait for Anthem v2. I really hope DE tells them to suck it and goes rogue but thanks to Trudeau did sign a bill but that allowed extradition to Canada but in July suspended it recognizing Hong Kong and siding with them while condemning China's actions. So for now DE can tell China to suck it and I really hope they do so.  

1 hour ago, Hokibukisa said:

To be perfectly fair to DE, Warframe has received loads of praise for their monetization and ability to mass appeal exactly due to how their free to play model has been done. Leyou even acknowledged it in their debrief of why they originally bought DE and their selling; viewing that the $2 million lost during 2019 was due to under-performing on content promised for that fiscal year along with outside factors and has never stopped talking up DE has in their opinion a AAA developer in quality if not quantity. For what its worth, according to some players, the aggressive push of those outside the game auction houses is something that has harmed the in-game economy; while driving down the value in platinum sales due to trades being devalued in game. That however isn't an easy black and white call about what is and isn't but opinion; while the topic is more about what comes next.

3 hours ago, Urlan said:

The problem for some players, and governments is really how closely Tencent works with the Chinese Government propaganda and information arms and their current roles helping censoring, tracking, and identifying folk using their apps particularly inside but even at times outside China. This has been said to be a glitch or malfunction in the case of censoring US or non-Chinese citizens; but not so much for the storing logs, and tracking data with methodology resembling the similar NSA US programs that almost none of us stateside feel comfortable with.

The big difference is that those are apps developed in China then distributed or made available to the international market. DE isnt a chinese dev studio, so those things just wont happen. It would lead to issues for DE since they would go against canadian and other nation's laws at that point on behalf of the chinese government. Now if the game was developed in China I'd understand the worries. I highly doubt anyone at DE would be happy to break the law just to keep the company afloat and the chinese happy in such a scenario.

10 hours ago, (XB1)TwinStripeUK said:

This.

As long as the game makes a profit, Tencent won't even bother interfering.

Best case scenario? DE get a nice bump to their cashflow and we get bigger and better updates quicker

Worst case scenarion? Nothing changes in the game at all.

worsr case scenario more than half of de gets leyoff and warframe dies like dirtybomb or diablo 3

3 minutes ago, Gravefire said:

This is how I feel lol.

I can only speak for me, but I guess part of why I feel so blase about the whole thing is because I heard pretty much all the same doomsday comments when they sold to Leyou Holdings in the first place. 

The doomsday predictions didn't come through. Global Warframe didn't become an extension of the Chinese Communist Party or a complete Pay to Win nightmare that causes F2P players to leave in droves. It continued on, occasionally stumbling, but for the most part continuing to grow and add new content, making most of same mistakes, some to a larger or smaller degree, since well before Leyou Holdings was a thing. I don't expect anything major to change this time either. 

Archived