Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tencent has Bought Leyou Technologies

(XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom

I don't think Tencent will have any impact on the game, the real issue is Chinese mainland influence, but since the CCP seized Hong Kong, it's really lose lose either way. 

We can only hope the international safeguards work as claimed at this point. With programs like Tiktok being forced to sale, it's possible that international scrutiny will prevent anything nefarious from happening. 

刚才 , Inari_Yuki 说:

the latter

dude agreed and signed his name before he enter the competition (black and white clear in user agreement). no political and other shenanigans during games. 

I respect the guy that dare to stand out but, heres the real world, you take consequences of what you do.

The game was international wide broadcast. think about it, if there were people expressing their feeling bout Palestinian and Israeli shenanigans or simply just antiwar stuff from syria, guess what could happen? nothing will happen, cuz you wont see them airing it. Big Brother wont let it happen. 

I call bullS#&$, corporations pick and choose what politics to censor and support. The fact that they unethical demand all sorts of compliance for any participation doesn't give them the right to discriminate against human rights when they gladly allow any number of other political subjects to enter their content. 

3 hours ago, Askell91 said:

Do you guys still remember China Warframe and how fast it shut down? Yeee. Would not be surprised if WF goes under realy fast.

You mean to tell me that game that's still running?

The PC version is still around. The first winds of this deal was because Tencent started looking at specifically the Chinese version which has been stuck on a much older version for several years now, but is still running. Guess they wanted the full package.

Seriously though, is anywhere other than that one site reporting this???

19 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

You mean to tell me that game that's still running?

The PC version is still around. The first winds of this deal was because Tencent started looking at specifically the Chinese version which has been stuck on a much older version for several years now, but is still running. Guess they wanted the full package.

Seriously though, is anywhere other than that one site reporting this???

There's a Russian one, but that's it. The few others are russian sites that always refer back to the invest site, so they are second hand info.

https://app-time.ru/industriya/tencent-priobrela-razrabotchikov-shutera-ot-tretego-lica-warframe-za-1-4-mlrd

10 minutes ago, HolySeraphin said:

There's a Russian one, but that's it. The few others are russian sites that always refer back to the invest site, so they are second hand info.

https://app-time.ru/industriya/tencent-priobrela-razrabotchikov-shutera-ot-tretego-lica-warframe-za-1-4-mlrd

So, let me get this straight.

We're all panicking because some random website reported on this news and didn't give a source.

Alrighty, back to waiting on an official announcement.

Whilst I'm going to remain skeptical until an official announcement, I would like to remind people that Warframe is still produced in Canada.

Even assuming the worst, that Tencent is run by the CCP and conforms entirely to it's whims and they force DE hand-over-foot to obey their regime, Warframe still has to apply by Canadian Law because it's made in Canada. Under said law, any personal data (including your opinions and social status) cannot be gathered or stored without your consent, which must be gained in a meaningful way, which varies based purpose which they must also communicate. For example, DE getting your opinion on the latest update to improve it? They're allowed to do that and can probably do that without much hassle. Trying to get your opinion on the CCP to send to a foreign power that they might pass judgement upon thee? Unlikely that's going to be something they can hide in the ToS.

Depends, if Warframe will continue to do good it won't probably change much.

If Warframe starts doing even worse I think some microtransactions will start appearing.

Chat moderation will most likely be stricter in a lot of ways.

The real change is where the money goes now when you buy platinum.

And it's not all good now.

14 hours ago, (PS4)yokai1235 said:

worsr case scenario more than half of de gets leyoff and warframe dies like dirtybomb or diablo 3

Diablo 3 is far from dead (despite being over 8 years old and having a sequel coming soon, it gets around as many players as BDO and ESO do on Steam) and DirtyBomb has only be kept going for the last two years after Nexon** gave up on it and handed the reins to by Splash Damage, formerly owned by Leyou, so now owned by (yup, you guessed it), Tencent.

So... no.

**Nexon, incidentally are widely regarded as the 'pioneers' for in-game microtransactions

On 2020-09-02 at 12:26 AM, (XB1)TheWayOfWisdom said:

Not actually finalised yet (and won't be for some time if it comes to pass)

Tencent only entered into the 'due diligence' phase back on August 7th, so the earliest we hear will probably be early next week, with the latest running for a couple of months yet.

So for those who aren't familiar with such things, the Tencent bid is now being classed as serious, whereby they get the right to look over the books and make sure there's no hidden debt or dodgy deals that they should be aware of before signing the paperwork.

Nothing set in stone, and I'm pretty sure the FT would have commented on it (because they love themselves a bit of Tencent)

https://www.ft.com/stream/26272ebc-a21c-450e-a743-be89c41d1eb8

Will not change a thing in all likelihood.

Tencent has deeper pockets than Leyou however, so with a good, strong pitch DE might get additional investments to actually deliver on their more ambitious ideas. Or more manpower to polish all of their old ambitious ideas which didn't quite come out as envisioned and regular touch-ups on frames/weapons which are lagging behind without cutting deep into development of new content.

DE really needs a separate team dedicated to revisiting, streamlining and bringing up to par all the many, many loose ends and concepts outdated by the game's current state.

Even more than servers or whatever other investments they can finagle out of the new owner, this would the one I'm hoping for most.

6 hours ago, Lizzrdd said:

Not playing Devils Advocate here or anything but when Tencent bought Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile)  there was a HUGE improvement to little QOL features that players had been asking for since beta release. While the head honchos at the original GGG still maintain almost complete control over development. And before anyone brings it up, the loot boxes and all the MTX were already being pushed hard before the purchase. I gotta agree with DancingJoker, and I dont think they are quite the evil empire everyone thinks it is.

They aren't evil any more than all the other greedy companies.

2 hours ago, Lichformed said:

Depends, if Warframe will continue to do good it won't probably change much.

If Warframe starts doing even worse I think some microtransactions will start appearing.

Chat moderation will most likely be stricter in a lot of ways.

The real change is where the money goes now when you buy platinum.

And it's not all good now.

There is a very very very real risk of self fulfilling prophecy.

Players shut off the money spigot because they fear predatory micro-transactions which causes predatory micro-transactions to make up for the loss of income.

On 2020-09-02 at 12:43 PM, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

nothing has changed since the last "scare". it's all about who possesses Creative Control and the rights to Warframe, which DE still have under lock and key. if that were to change, then we might have reason to be concerned, but until then, it's just big business making deals and shaking hands, nothing that concerns us mere mortals. 

It's not really about who has creative control. Tencent gives their companies creative control, but they are investors, they want huge profits in return. Tencent doesn't directly change games or destroy them, the companies have to destroy their F2P models to meet that profit gain imposed on them. Warframe has in my opinion one, if not the best, F2P models out there. Platinum REQUIRED for the game is minimum (mostly slots), and the game gives incentives to spend money on cheap purchases. Everything else is cosmetics or pay to progress faster. This model is F2P friendly while giving them good earnings, but if Tencent isn't happy with how much profit it makes them, DE will have to get creative on things to sell for platinum, by either making new weapons or warframes acquisition even more of a pain to grind than most of them are lately (which is the soft push, because even if it's bad, you can still progress by farming), or simply sell exclusive plat items that aren't just for rushing or cosmetics.

Like I said, it might not happen now or a year, but it's a big concern under Tencent. The question here is if you want to gamble and bet for it to be a good thing in the long run, or not waste your effort, time and investment if it eventually fails. The later is what people fear and that's why they say good bye after 7 years, because some people don't want to waste their time and effort over the years. I really hope I'm completely wrong on this and it turns out to be a good change for DE and Warframe, because I want this game to succeed and keep growing, I really like Warframe.

3 hours ago, Angwah said:

Will not change a thing in all likelihood.

Tencent has deeper pockets than Leyou however, so with a good, strong pitch DE might get additional investments to actually deliver on their more ambitious ideas. Or more manpower to polish all of their old ambitious ideas which didn't quite come out as envisioned and regular touch-ups on frames/weapons which are lagging behind without cutting deep into development of new content.

DE really needs a separate team dedicated to revisiting, streamlining and bringing up to par all the many, many loose ends and concepts outdated by the game's current state.

Even more than servers or whatever other investments they can finagle out of the new owner, this would the one I'm hoping for most.

That won't happen if DE doesn't think it's necessary. And I'm not all too sure DE thinks it's necessary to revisit, streamline, and bring up to par their old content.

47 minutes ago, OniDax said:

That won't happen if DE doesn't think it's necessary. And I'm not all too sure DE thinks it's necessary to revisit, streamline, and bring up to par their old content.

Perhaps it is not necessary, who knows? We lack the figures of how many new players start and more importantly stick around, so perhaps all is well. But having started the game around December/January, I think that in order to grow beyond where they are now, I think it would be necessary. Anyway, that is another discussion.

Archived