Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[10.5.4] Why Can't I Select More Than 1 Mod At A Time During Fusion?

litlit

I didn't bother to search but there's no way this hasn't been brought up here before. I don't really care though, this is a pretty important usability issue so I'm going to whine about it incessantly until it's fixed.

[edit: Revised the tone of the post. No need for me to be childish and insulting. Still, I do think it's a good idea to convey not only how frustrating many elements of the UI are, but also and especially how frustrating it is that these elements haven't been fixed or smoothed over for months (since even before I started playing, during Update 8)]

When I max out a 10-rank rare mod, I use somewhere over 2,000 Fusion Cores. Two thousand. I have to click two thousand individual mod cards. And that's just Fusion Cores, not even counting other mods.

I timed myself maxing out Reflex Guard. It took me 49 minutes to get it from rank 0 to rank 10, clicking all of my fusion cores and going through all of my mods to find the ones I wanted to fuse. Over an hour and a half if you count the time I did it again after clicking "cancel" instead of "apply" on accident.

Note:

I will be using the terms "mods screen", "mod loadout", and "mod list" a lot, so for clarity, I will define each of them.

"Mods screen" is shorthand for the Mod Collection menu, accessed in-game by clicking ARSENAL, then MODS (picture included below, spoilered).

http://i.imgur.com/Ty54YiD.jpg

ffY5lCm.jpg

"Mod loadout" is shorthand for the weapon and frame upgrade menus accessed in-game by clicking ARSENAL, then hovering over a weapon, frame, or sentinel and clicking the UPGRADE button (picture included below, spoilered).

http://i.imgur.com/Ty54YiD.jpg

Ty54YiD.jpg

"Mod list" is the list of mods seen in both the mods screen and the mod loadout menus.

Problems with the mod UI

Here, in bold text, I will identify what I think are the problems that create and/or contribute to negative experiences such as the one I described above. Underneath I'll also include one or more suggestion(s) for how to fix it.

There is no way to quickly and easily select a large quantity of mods for fusion

-Add "select entire page for fusion" option. All mods on the page will be used in fusion; would be quite useful for fusion cores. By default, would not select mods that have already been upgraded, mods that are equipped, or mods of which the player has only 1 copy.

-Add a shift-click feature. Think of it like highlighting text in almost any word processor or browser textbox. I select a mod, press and hold shift, and then click on another mod further up or down the list, and both of those mods + all of the mods between them are selected for fusion.

-Add a click-and-drag box-drawing feature. Think of it like a Windows desktop: you click and drag, and a translucent highlight box is "drawn" with the cursor, allowing the user to select multiple icons.

-Add a smart-select feature that selects all mods meeting certain criteria. This feature should include the ability to add exceptions to these criteria. For example: I want to select "all tactical (-) polarity mods in the Warframe Mods category, EXCEPT mods that are equipped, mods that are upgraded, and [X number of] [Y and Z mods]".

The mod lists are cluttered and difficult to read, making it time-consuming and difficult to parse when looking for specific mods (not just during fusion)

-Mods need to stack instead of taking up a separate spot on the list. I'm @(*()$ sick of scrolling past 91082107 copies of Fast Hands and 19072807184 copies of Revenge on the mod screen, and so is everyone else. This is probably the most desired UI feature among the whole player community. It's great that the loadout screen only displays 1 mod of each type -- the general mods screen should as well.

-Add the option to sort by polarity. It's already on the mod loadout screen; no reason the mods screen should have less functionality.

-Add a prioritization system to category sorting. This is already somewhat implemented: currently, if you go the mods screen, select sort by rating, and then select sort by name, the list will sort first by name and then by rating. This feature needs to be made more obvious, easy to use, and ideally have at least 1 more priority level. For example, there should be 3 dropdown boxes, each labelled in a way that makes it obvious how they function -- sort FIRST by [X parameter], THEN by [Y parameter], THEN by [Z parameter].

-Make the mod lists on the mods screen and the mod loadout menus text-searchable. Include the option to search mod title text only, mod description text only, or both. I tend to put off upgrading my mods for a really long time as long as I have a functional loadout because it's such a pain in the &#! to sift through everything for the billionth time -- the ability to quickly and directly navigate to a specific mod would entirely alleviate this problem.

-Optional text-only view of the mod list. Names on the left, then other categories such as polarity, current rank, max rank, conclave, and mod capacity to the right (sortable by each category, or any combination of them). Text color could indicate mod rarity, just as border color does currently for mod cards.

The mod UI in general lacks accessibility and customization options

-Fixing the two problems listed above will greatly improve easy-of-use.

-All UI elements should be resizeable. Mod lists -- both the mod loadout menus and in the general mods screen -- should have a border that can be clicked an dragged to increase the size of the list, along with 2 text boxes that control the length in pixels along the X and Y axes. There should be an option to change text font size. The mod UI should have alternate high-contrast coloring options for people who are colorblind and/or who have poor vision.

-Players should be able to set default the sorting method for the mods screen and mod loadout menus. The former is already implemented, but the mod loadout is always set to sort by polarity.

-Players should be able to set default loadouts for each of their weapons and frames on the mod loadout menu.

Edited by litlit

You actually can select multiple ones...at least I do it all the time.  I used to think that I couldn't until I  just tried it one day and I could.  You do in fact have to click each mod once but you don't have to go through all that.  Just click the first mod, then click fusion, then click all the ones you want to fuse with it.

You actually can select multiple ones...at least I do it all the time.  I used to think that I couldn't until I  just tried it one day and I could.  You do in fact have to click each mod once but you don't have to go through all that.  Just click the first mod, then click fusion, then click all the ones you want to fuse with it.

I understand that; my point is that we should never, for any reason, have to spend half an hour clicking on thousands of individual mods.

Edited by litlit

I'd like to see a feature where I can make the game automatically manage my fusions - let me select cards to "archive" where they're going to stay in a special mod selection screen - then let me select those individually archived cards and set them to automatically "fuse with like cards" that aren't archived and even "fuse with likes and cores" or "fuse with cores only".

So now I have a setup that keeps me out of micromanaging (sometimes I spend half an hour managing all my new mods) and I get to play the actual game more.  To prevent it from bankrupting you, you could also add a feature where it won't fuse you to below a certain credit limit.

I'd like to see a feature where I can make the game automatically manage my fusions - let me select cards to "archive" where they're going to stay in a special mod selection screen - then let me select those individually archived cards and set them to automatically "fuse with like cards" that aren't archived and even "fuse with likes and cores" or "fuse with cores only".

So now I have a setup that keeps me out of micromanaging (sometimes I spend half an hour managing all my new mods) and I get to play the actual game more.  To prevent it from bankrupting you, you could also add a feature where it won't fuse you to below a certain credit limit.

That's a good idea, one I never thought of. Along those lines, there should also be an option on the mods screen to fuse all mods of a certain type (or set of types). So you can select one or more parameters, and fuse all mods that match. A perfect example here is Hornet Strike -- it can take a while to max this one out, especially if it's your first one, so having the option to auto-fuse new copies of Hornet Strike as they're found, along with the ability to select groups of other uncommon offensive (V) polarity mods (Fury, Point Blank, etc) would be helpful. And sometimes I'm just sick of having to scroll past 200 copies of Pull if I want to change something on my Mag, and I want to fuse them all into something else to get them out of the way.

It also reminds of another feature I'd like to see implemented that I forgot to add earlier: user-created mod loadout pages. Players should be able to create their own saveable lists of mods. These lists would include all of the sorting options that currently exists, plus the ones I outlined. This would allow players, if they so choose, to cut down on the amount of clutter on the loadout page (obviously, the page with all available mods would still be accessible).

Edited by litlit

Bumping. Did a major overhaul of the original post to make it more useful, more readable, and more civil. Instead of a list of random improvement suggestions, it identifies core problems with the UI from a player perspective and organizes the suggested fixes based on which problem they address.