Volt, Nyx, and Gara Helminth Synergies

Volt, Nyx, and Gara are my favourite Warframes and I'm trying to find synergies with the Subsume abilities granted via Helminth. Unfortunately, Subsuming and experimenting with abilities costs resources, which are not infinite, so I'm looking for ideas and experiences you may have with these three frames in particular.

So far, I tried the following:

Volt

Nourish Strike: I expected this to combine with Volt's naturally Electric abilities and make them Corrosive, which unfortunately doesn't happen. However, when combined with Shock Trooper, it can grant your weapons Corrosive buff. If it would work with Frost's abilities, it could turn them into Viral, which sounds promosing.

Breach Surge: This ability has an amazing synergy with Discharge. Since it has faster casting animation, you can jump in the group of enemies, use Breach Surge and then fire off Discharge, which will trigger Breach Surge and increase the damage dealt while introducing Radiation into the mess as well.

Condemn: The CC and shield regeneration are nice and work as a faster and weaker version of Capacitance, but overall not worth it. Sorry Harrow. :(

Warcry: The obvious combination of Warcry and Speed turns Volt into a melee meat grinder, but gets old pretty soon and personally, it gave me a rather nauseating feeling after some time.

Pillage: Currently being digested by Helminth. I have high hopes for this one. :)

Nyx

Marked For Death: I tried to combine this with Mind Control, to have the enemy absorb ridiculous amounts of damage and then releasing Mind Control. Unfortunately, Mind Controlled enemy cannot be targeted by Marked For Death and if you try it vice versa, Mind Control triggers Marked For Death for 0 damage.

Mallet: This gives amazing CC and takes the danger away from Nyx, so it works as a great replacement for Mind Control, unfortunately, it doesn't work well with Absorb/Assimilate, after using it, the current enemies will ignore Mallet until it's used again. I also use basic Range Nyx, otherwise her Assimilate bubble is too big and obscures the enemy I'm shooting at, which goes against how Mallet works.

Gara

Well of Life: It works better than Mending Splinters and frees up one mod space, turning Gara into a rather versatile buffer/debuffer/healer. Since I don't use Splinter Storm for damage, I replaced Shattered Lash with this, so I can use Spectrosiphon to produce Energy. This basically turned Gara into something very similar to Trinity.

Edited by (PS4)Sentiel
English hard
  • Like 3
21 minutes ago, (PS4)Sentiel said:

I haven't had time to get a fresh Chroma to try it, how does it work with Helminth and Nyx in particular?

My main build has great duration so it last for a while, I choose toxin to help weapons since I use assimilate with her

• Like 1

Gara is all I use, but I use her 2 for damage, so trying to find something to replace her 3 with.

I don't die as it is, so not really sure what to place. Pillage seems good but too meta or something, idk. Maybe Marked for death, but I can already nuke rooms with 4>1 combo.

Roar would let me build stacks on her 2 quicker. 

Looking for something fun I suppose. 

• Like 1

If you play a defensive Gara then Dispensary is nice. Not that Spectrosiphon is bad (I put it on Vauban, cast Vortex in the middle of it and it rains blue orbs) but Dispensary is more consistent and doesn't rely on enemies. It's more of a QoL thing.

Pillage is good for Volt, but then Pillage is good for lots of frames.

Nyx I haven't figured out yet :-P.

Edited by schilds
  • Like 2

Assuming your typical builds for the three frames:

Volt:  Roar or pillage would be my choices.  Both would help with his DPS which is what he's used for atm.

Nyx: If you're really wanting to try that gimmick with mind control why not do breach surge Plus mind freak augment?  If you go assimilate build firewalker might be nice for a bit of armor effecting whilst having more movement in your 4. If not could maybe do rage on her.  This combined with her debuffing of her 2 could make her more lethal.

Gara: Could maybe do a meme build with  Desiccation's Curse.  Since she passively has the ability to blind people with her abilities.  That and having pocket sand would mean having potential sand minions everywhere.  If you're looking to be more of a support why not take banish for it's healing augment.  Doubles as a way to let people like excal damage people while banished still. 

13 minutes ago, (NSW)Reason said:

Oh my god, you're not even using Gara to 10% of her full potential, it absolutely boggles my mind how people 'main' Gara and not use splinter storm correctly. 

You do realize there's no correct way to play frames right?  You can place her splinters on objectives and allies for nice DR.  And her 4 is basically having limbo levels of protection for an objective but without the issue of having limbo around.  It completely dwarfs snow globe.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

You do realize there's no correct way to play frames right?  You can place her splinters on objectives and allies for nice DR.  And her 4 is basically having limbo levels of protection for an objective but without the issue of having limbo around.  It completely dwarfs snow globe.

You can do all those things and still use Gara's main focus, which is splinter storm. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Gara has a ton of utility and you're the person saying that her main special ability needs to be ignored because she can do other stuff???? It doesn't make sense at all

3 hours ago, (PS4)Sentiel said:

Nyx

Marked For Death: I tried to combine this with Mind Control, to have the enemy absorb ridiculous amounts of damage and then releasing Mind Control. Unfortunately, Mind Controlled enemy cannot be targeted by Marked For Death and if you try it vice versa, Mind Control triggers Marked For Death for 0 damage.

This is odd because Dizzying Round works? DE fix please. Id replace Mind control with Marked for Death. Go into Nyx 4th for bullet spounge a use Dizzying Rounds until DE nerfs DR again. This will allow her to be a nuker.

1 hour ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Volt:  Roar or pillage would be my choices.  Both would help with his DPS which is what he's used for atm.

Pillage over Roar because it provide defense strip and utility for over shield for survival on all frames. While Roar just allows damage buff but doesn't do well when enemies armor start scaling. Roar is Trump by Pillage in all ways that Roar can provide.

13 minutes ago, kwlingo said:

Pillage over Roar because it provide defense strip and utility for over shield for survival on all frames. While Roar just allows damage buff but doesn't do well when enemies armor start scaling. Roar is Trump by Pillage in all ways that Roar can provide.

I was thinking of roar mainly for eidolon hunting since that should be making his shots through his shield better.  But yeah for general purpose Volt play i'd take pillage if I were to give him anything.

I wanted to try Dispensary on Gara but then realized I can just use a Specter to do it for me.

Can't wait to try Pillage on Volt since it seems like a generally good idea based on the feedback here. 

Not sure what to do with Nyx still...

I played around with Smite and Smite Infusion since it's cheap on Helminth resources and quite useful by giving you a damage boost and some CC. It's a rather universal thing, similar to Roar, that could be used on nearly any frame.

I put it on Nyx and while the damage buff worked well, I felt she doesn't need the additional CC nor the Rad damage since she armor strips.

Then, I played with both Pillage and Fire Blast and I have to say that Pillage was not bad for both Nyx and Volt, but I found Fire Blast to be better, especially with Healing Flame. It provides hard knockdown CC, armor strip, and Heat proc. With the augment, it heals both my frame and my companion. Since Volt has Capacitance, Fire Blast covered his weaknesses, lack of armor strip and healing. I'm really happy with this one. :)

As for Nyx, I tried Breach Surge as well, but I didn't like it. Another CC on top of all the CC she already has. I don't think she needs a damage buff either since she armor strips, so...in truth...I have no clue what to give her. Any suggestions?

As for Gara, I gave her Fire Blast as well, which works great since you can combine it with her Mass Vitrify and the armor strip goes well with the increased damage received on enemies hit by her Splinter Storm. Healing Flame also works better than Mending Splinters.

Well, you can always use pizzas too. I guess Dispensary is more of a self-sufficiency thing. Some people (e.g. me :D) like builds that don't need disposable gear items.

What I would really like on Nyx is a defensive ability like Frost's globe (no, not Assimilate, I don't want to have to sit on the objective all the time), but there are no such abilities that can be subsumed. Closest thing might be Resonator? Chaos for extra large range CC and Resonator to prevent close by enemies doing anything. Not sure, will have to test it out. Main issue is it won't prevent sniping. Short of that, maybe a clustering ability (ensnare/larva). However, any of these CC ability feel redundant with Chaos. Can't be any more redundant than Mind Control though :-P.

Or, again, more energy wouldn't hurt and allow me to build slightly differently.

I think the question is, what is Nyx's use case? What missions could be considered her niche? Well, basically excavation. She is really good at high level Corpus excavation because she's the *only* frame that can keep those masses of Nullifiers far, far away. The problem is that her CC is soft cc. It's very effective at tying up a large number of enemies, but it doesn't absolutely lock them down. What she's missing out on is stopping the excavators from taking damage. You still need to couple her with a Frost or Gara. Hence why I'd like to infuse a defensive ability.

Edited by schilds
On 2020-09-04 at 7:22 AM, (PS4)Sentiel said:

Nyx

This doesn't work anymore?

Spoiler

On 2020-09-04 at 2:22 PM, (PS4)Sentiel said:

I tried to combine this with Mind Control, to have the enemy absorb ridiculous amounts of damage and then releasing Mind Control. Unfortunately, Mind Controlled enemy cannot be targeted by Marked For Death and if you try it vice versa, Mind Control triggers Marked For Death for 0 damage.

Hahaha thats a very clever idea but shame it didnt work. I also like to think of some weird/funny combos instead of just slapping roar on everything but havent found all that many yet apart from the obvious extra speed for Gauss, and firewalker for ember which is very thematic for her and imo much more useful than her first. 

Such a shame though that the system doesnt exactly encourage experimenting with diffetent builds because of the high resource costs, so right now Im just trying to use the common resources as much as possible. I also learned that some of the Deimos resources give 60% instead of 30% hunger reduction so gotta take advantage of that as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, MasterBurik said:

This doesn't work anymore?

Reveal hidden contents

It does work when I tested it now, after your post, but it didn't work before I created this thread. That is definitely a very viable ability to place on Nyx. 

I've been maining Nyx with Condemn, Adaptation, Brief Respite, 4 augur mods, and decaying dragon key. (giving 94 base shields. yes, you want low base shields)

Yeah yeah I know, why put more CC on a CC heavy frame?

Well now she can actually face-tank.

She goes like this

• Takes mega-damage, triggers shield gate. Don't panic, this is all part of the plan, this is supposed to happen.
  • Cast 35 energy psychic bolts (Streamline) x3.1 energy to shield conversion for immediately regaining 108 shields which is greater than your 94 base shields which means you can now not instantly die, because your shield gate is restored. Think of it like a Rolling Guard strategy that you can spam.
    • This also obviously works with Chaos as well
  • During normal play when your overshields aren't maxxed out, casually condemn groups of enemies to max out your overshields.
  • While face-tanking, until your adaptation is maxxed out at 90%, obviously you lose shields fast. But this is fine, just continue to cast spells when your shield gate is triggered, and casually restore full overshields with condemn.
  • Eventually when your adaptation is maxxed out at 90%, you're pretty much like inaros because you're regaining 160% energy spent into overshields.

I also strongly recommend Primed Sure Footed if you have it, its worth it. Not getting knocked is pretty essential when shield gating, as the gate is only 1.3 seconds.

So this isn't theory I've actually been doing this in steel path.

BTW any warframe with shields can do this now it isn't Nyx specific, but having access to Chaos and Pacifying Bolts can greatly take the heat off of you when facing large swarms of enemies.

Edited by Hokibukisa
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, Hokibukisa said:

I've been maining Nyx with Condemn, Adaptation, Brief Respite, 4 augur mods, and decaying dragon key. (giving 94 base shields. yes, you want low base shields)

Yeah yeah I know, why put more CC on a CC heavy frame?

Well now she can actually face-tank.

She goes like this

• Takes mega-damage, triggers shield gate. Don't panic, this is all part of the plan, this is supposed to happen.
  • Cast 35 energy psychic bolts (Streamline) x3.1 energy to shield conversion for immediately regaining 108 shields which is greater than your 94 base shields which means you can now not instantly die, because your shield gate is restored. Think of it like a Rolling Guard strategy that you can spam.
    • This also obviously works with Chaos as well
  • During normal play when your overshields aren't maxxed out, casually condemn groups of enemies to max out your overshields.
  • While face-tanking, until your adaptation is maxxed out at 90%, obviously you lose shields fast. But this is fine, just continue to cast spells when your shield gate is triggered, and casually restore full overshields with condemn.
  • Eventually when your adaptation is maxxed out at 90%, you're pretty much like inaros because you're regaining 160% energy spent into overshields.

I also strongly recommend Primed Sure Footed if you have it, its worth it. Not getting knocked is pretty essential when shield gating, as the gate is only 1.3 seconds.

So this isn't theory I've actually been doing this in steel path.

BTW any warframe with shields can do this now it isn't Nyx specific, but having access to Chaos and Pacifying Bolts can greatly take the heat off of you when facing large swarms of enemies.

I really like this idea and tried it out myself. I can confirm it works just like advertised and makes Nyx nearly unkillable.

Unfortunately, this type of build doesn't fit me, which is a shame, so I have to keep looking.

That said, thank you for sharing this, it's really great.

• Like 1