Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Asking for more freedom on controller mapping (ability menu, railjack + some ideas)

Obnyr

Hey,

Have been playing warframe since 2013 and always played with controller (first Xbox 360 controller and now Xbox One controller). I use the D-pad to select an ability and the left bumper to cast it as I never played with the ability menu (it wasn't here at the beginning). In January I encountered issues with this ability menu when piloting railjack, and now with a recent update, this same menu is spoiling archwing gameplay. I have the right bumper mapped for alt fire, but in archwing, when I want to use it, it opens the ability menu. Adding an "archwing" option tab under the controller customisation would be really great ! I still wonder why lunaro has one and not archwing when archwing is way more used and is necessary to progress through the game... An option to completely disable this ability menu could do, but it's quite extreme.

Also, I feel like it would be more coherent with the gameplay if the dodge/blink control was tied with the roll control. But if there is an archwing option tab, maybe the "down" and "dodge/blink" would be separate options.

Here is my current key binding (reload is in context action) :

eqPUCc5.png

Another cool options to add would be to be able to map a combo of 2 controls or a hold control. I'm thinking of that after the impossibility to get out of a necramech with my keybinding (no 5th ability to be selected while in necramech). So maybe a combo like left bumper+right bumper to shortcut the operator mode could be useful (I know, this is a bit like the ability menu, but the ability menu prevents some actions when open it seems). I remember at the beginning, when there was an array for the mapping (and it was hell to bind a key to multiple actions, and in fact, it is still hell), but an array like this could be useful to list such controls (that can't be shown on a controller display like above). It would allow, for my case, to have tactical map on "hold select", to have equip omni on "hold D-pad up" etc.

A complete freedom on controller keybinding would also be great, still can't remap the ability menu in railjack mode. Would like to use the bumpers to bank. I don't have enough options to bind every button, but it's still imposed to have the ability menu at only one place... Would use D-pad to navigate through abilities and Y to cast the ability... Look at this, the only unmapped control is "bank right" (I still can't access tactical map from railjack from controller) :

DzTL018.png

We need more controls for railjack... If you want ideas, ask me, I can find a lot, tactical map, activate selected ability, maneuver, etc. And also, here, please separate move down and dodge/blink. Would be more coherent for it to go with boost, on quick press (like run/roll). Personnaly, I would put maneuver on A+B if there were combos.

I know there is a need with the ability menu, that the mapping has to be consistent but the only conditions to map it could be "it is always mapped on the same control when mapped", it would force the consistency between the different gameplays (to understand, general gameplay, archwing and railjack). Like this, I could also maybe use the ability menu in railjack (the only time I found it almost good in terms of gameplay), but I would put it on X  (and ordnance on Y), and activate the abilities with D-pad (instead of A,B,X,Y) in the case it was possible and if there is not "activate selected ability" control. We lack freedom in the ability menu mapping too... what if I want some spells on the triggers ? If you want us to use it, please at least let us map it as we want.

I write this post after discussing with several friends who also plays with a controller and a mapping without ability menu and mainly who feel the same. I think that we are a lot of old (I mean pre-ability menu) players who enjoy playing without it as we learned to do without and we're happy with that.

I also discussed with players who plays with the ability menu, and even if they don't all feel the need to remap this menu, they agreed that more freedom could only be good.

Best regards.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have to either get shot down, or be "sprinting" and tap E to get out of Archwing right now, cause i can't melee, because of the menu being unbind-able. We really do need 100% totally separate control scheme menus for every single thing. Warframe/Operator, Archwing, Archwing in Open worlds, K-Drive, Rail jack, etc. Until this happens, us controller users will just continue to have problems. I can't imagine how hard this is on Console, at least we can kinda work around it with having a keyboard nearby, but still.

My d-pads are: the abilities of the frame (ability 1- up, ability 2- left, ability 3- down, ability 4- right)

My melee is: R1

Consumables: O

Swipe up: show map

Swipe down: marker point

I don't use ability menu because im not comfortable on using hold and press thing.

While fighting there is no problem there, the problem starts when i start fishing and there is a input to press R1 to use items when i equip my fishing spear. Since my inputs for R1 is melee when ever i try fishing and placing my bait, my frame starts attacking. So when ever i start fishing, i change my melee to ability menu so that i can use that bait.

Its so tiring to change my settings even it's just one input. I really enjoy fishing but sometimes i skip it because i have to change my control inputs.

Thats the problem too, you cant place baits on your consumable radar or spinning thing. 

Ohh and i wish there is an options to change L3/left analog to R3/right analog while choosing some consumables.

On 2020-09-05 at 4:02 AM, ZurekMorraff said:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have to either get shot down, or be "sprinting" and tap E to get out of Archwing right now, cause i can't melee, because of the menu being unbind-able. We really do need 100% totally separate control scheme menus for every single thing. Warframe/Operator, Archwing, Archwing in Open worlds, K-Drive, Rail jack, etc. Until this happens, us controller users will just continue to have problems. I can't imagine how hard this is on Console, at least we can kinda work around it with having a keyboard nearby, but still.

DE needs to see this

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-09-04 at 9:25 PM, DARKYPANTHER said:

Another cool options to add would be to be able to map a combo of 2 controls or a hold control. I'm thinking of that after the impossibility to get out of a necramech with my keybinding (no 5th ability to be selected while in necramech). So maybe a combo like left bumper+right bumper to shortcut the operator mode could be useful

You can use Steam Input for that if you play on PC. Chorded press activators, Action layers, Mode shifting.

3 hours ago, Kefirno said:

You can use Steam Input for that if you play on PC. Chorded press activators, Action layers, Mode shifting.

I was about to Also suggest Steam Input...I even brought a Tutorial 🙂:

However... The Video doesn't Cover how to use Action Layers and that's the one thing I'm struggling right now....

Can you teach me ? 😗.

On 2020-09-04 at 8:25 PM, DARKYPANTHER said:

I have the right bumper mapped for alt fire, but in archwing, when I want to use it, it opens the ability menu.

Since Cycling Abilities on the D-Pad is useless...I have my Alt Fire Bound to D-Pad left....

And what this means is I can't Move and Alt Fire at the Same time...

I don't quite understand the other issues you are having with the Controls but hopefully using Steam Input can solve some of them ... For Example...you know how some Semi Automatic Weapons have an unaturally high Fire Rate (like The Akbolto or Layton) and Mouse users bind their Fire Key to the Mouse Wheel to Spam it ? 

Well  you can use Steam Input's Activators to Grant any button on your Controller Turbo Functionality. In My case I have my Trigger set to behave differently when I double tap it. Pressing it once makes it behave normally... Double Tapping it gives me Rapid Fire.

Also you know how annoying it is When toggle on Sprint and then After Interacting with Something or Speaking with an NPC the game Toggles Sprint back off....

Wello fix that I disabled the Sprint Toggle Feature in Warframe then Reopened Steam Input and set an Outer Ring Binding on my left Stick to The Sprint Button. Basically now I can sprint just by Pushing the Left Stick all the way.

You know what my Biggest issue with playing on Controller is...

It's that when you Hold Down RB for the Ability Menu.... It Gimps all your Mobility Options....

You cant Sprint or Glide while holding down this button.... 

I understand why you can't Slide or Jump while doing it because those Buttons are Tied to Abilities... However Sprinting and Aim Gliding are not and it Bugs me playing on Keyboard allows you to do those things but Playing on Controller doesn't.

On 2020-09-06 at 6:03 PM, (PS4)fat_1_dog_me said:

While fighting there is no problem there, the problem starts when i start fishing and there is a input to press R1 to use items when i equip my fishing spear. Since my inputs for R1 is melee when ever i try fishing and placing my bait, my frame starts attacking. So when ever i start fishing, i change my melee to ability menu so that i can use that bait.

You can try Remapping the Button itself in your Playstations Controller Setting so that R1 is actually O... Naturally that means R1 will be O everywhere in Warframe instead of only just for Fishing.

37 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

However... The Video doesn't Cover how to use Action Layers and that's the one thing I'm struggling right now....

Can you teach me ? 😗.

I'm not a big fan of action sets and layers myself, hate to manage multiple configs inside one (which is why I gave up on trying to play Warframe with controller, default config with separate action set for melee is atrocious). I prefer to just use modeshifting and multiple bindings on same button giving it different functionality depending on context.

This channel has plenty of tutorials on various Stem Input features: https://www.youtube.com/c/RambleTan/search?query=layer

It mostly focuses on Steam Controller but software features are basically same for all devices.

2 hours ago, Kefirno said:

I'm not a big fan of action sets and layers myself, hate to manage multiple configs inside one (which is why I gave up on trying to play Warframe with controller, default config with separate action set for melee is atrocious). I prefer to just use modeshifting and multiple bindings on same button giving it different functionality depending on context.

This channel has plenty of tutorials on various Stem Input features: https://www.youtube.com/c/RambleTan/search?query=layer

It mostly focuses on Steam Controller but software features are basically same for all devices.

Thanks.... Exactly what I was Looking for... 😀.

This Steam Feature is so convenient... I have a Custom Config for almost every game. And even if I don't change the buttons for the game I still go to every game and Adjust the Trigger Buttons to activate on Soft Pull using the Hair Trigger mode to make them more Responsive....

And since the Batteries in my Mouse Died I'm using Steam Input in Desktop 😝.

With the Home Devstream 6 and the mention of crossplay, I still hope for an account fusion for all the platforms, or something like this (even though I know that there would be problems about tennogen, console exclusives etc). Am also a Switch player (not for Warframe, restarting at MR0 seems boring), and as such, I would like to be able to send my controller config from PC to Switch in the future (if it is to come). Steam Input is a work around for PC only, and console players surely encounter the same problems.  Honestly, ability menu is a pain, it's like paralysis on the battlefield and it cancels all the space ninja feeling thing Warframe is about...

• 5 months later...

Bumping because as of Feb of 2021 and this is still a problem. 

I don't understand why the ability menu even exists, let alone is completely impossible to remove like this. 

It's a garbage system. Who wants to open a submenu to cast any of your abilities? You just bind them to the D-pad and activate them with one push like a regular human being. 

You can remove the ability menu from your on-foot controls, but for some reason Archwing refuses to allow this. 

So R1 is bound to quick melee, but instead it just spams ability 1 over and over. 

Also a problem with Titania, who uses Archwing controls in mini-mode. 

Edit: Problem solved by ZurekMorraff in another thread. Bind "Activate Selected Power" to any button on your controller, (EG, your current consumable button) and then unbind it and go back to normal. 

This will remove Activate Selected Power from R1, and allow you to slash dudes with your Archsword. 

Edit2: Semi-solved. You'll have to do it all over again every time you boot the game. 

Seriously DE

I know you guys do all your own playing/testing/livestreams on PC Keyboard Mouse, so Trust me on this when I say you are seriously Out of Touch with Console players and Standard Console FPS Controls

you need to give us better Remapping Options for Consoles so we can set it ourselves if you don't know what's best.

I have to use a TITANONE Controller Mod to do my remaps, cause the controls I want aren't allowed in your In-game remap options.

Archived