Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Out of Curiousity, What Happens If You Subsume Your Only Warframe?

sly_squash

I don't think you can sell your currently-active warframe for credits, but you can subsume it. So this creates an interesting question for me. What if you subsume your last guy, particularly if you have no plat in your account to buy a new frame?

1. Start the game as, say, Volt.
  2. Hit MR8, acquire Helminth.
  3. Sell off all other frames than Volt for credits
  4. Subsume Volt.

EDIT: Why, yes I have indeed worked in software QA before. Why do you ask?

1 minute ago, Voltage said:

Probably the same thing as when you get captured by Zanuka as your only Warframe. You probably get the "Suit" Warframe which is an Excalibur model with no abilities or something iirc.

Voltage did you ever see the thread where the dude tried that? I wanna say it was about a year ago. 

1 hour ago, Voltage said:

Probably the same thing as when you get captured by Zanuka as your only Warframe. You probably get the "Suit" Warframe which is an Excalibur model with no abilities or something iirc.

Doubt it.  Getting captured by Zanuka, and then failing to retrieve your stuff still leaves you with the ability to attempt to retrieve it later.  You're not allowed to play other missions until you succeed at this.
Subsuming your only warframe would leave you with no ability to get a new warframe.  If anything, I expect it to work like selling your last warframe.  You're simply not allowed to.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Lollybomb said:

Doubt it.  Getting captured by Zanuka, and then failing to retrieve your stuff still leaves you with the ability to attempt to retrieve it later.  You're not allowed to play other missions until you succeed at this.
Subsuming your only warframe would leave you with no ability to get a new warframe.  If anything, I expect it to work like selling your last warframe.  You're simply not allowed to.

Well, you could use "Suit" to farm parts to build a real frame, if they let him out into the real world. Squadmates would be so baffled as to where you came from.

I was thinking a fun challenge would be to complete Steel Path as "Suit" :D

You're probably right that the "Subsume" button is just grayed out if it's your last frame, but I'm curious if that's true. This feels like a potential bug that could've slipped through the cracks.

2 hours ago, sly_squash said:

I don't think you can sell your currently-active warframe for credits, but you can subsume it. So this creates an interesting question for me. What if you subsume your last guy, particularly if you have no plat in your account to buy a new frame?

1. Start the game as, say, Volt.
  2. Hit MR8, acquire Helminth.
  3. Sell off all other frames than Volt for credits
  4. Subsume Volt.

EDIT: Why, yes I have indeed worked in software QA before. Why do you ask?

That depends what exception the game tries to throw

If Subsuming counts as selling, it will just not let you subsume/sell it. The game doesn't let you have "no Warframe" or "no primary" or "no secondary" or "no melee" like that

However, as pointed out here,

2 hours ago, Voltage said:

The game has a seperate throwable exception for getting captured by Zanuka with only one Warframe, then aborting the mission. Instead of restarting the mission, it lets you wanted around as a 100hp Excalibur

13 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

If Subsuming counts as selling, it will just not let you subsume/sell it.

The game has a seperate throwable exception for getting captured by Zanuka with only one Warframe, then aborting the mission. Instead of restarting the mission, it lets you wanted around as a 100hp Excalibur

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can't "sell" your last warframe because it would be the currently-active one and the game won't let you sell your currently-active warframe.

This is why subsuming might work where selling does not. You can't sell your currently-active warframe, but you can only subsume your currently-active warframe.

Also, the 100hp filler Excalibur frame we're calling "Suit" has already been brought up, but even that brings up more questions. Could you subsume "Suit"? Can you use "Suit" to farm real frames? Can "Suit" get captured by Zanuka? If "Suit" doesn't come with any abilities, can you infuse "Suit" with one?

1 minute ago, Wolfdoggie said:

I dunno but everytime I subsume it defaults to Frost Prime which I'm pretty sure is my first frame crafted and starter volt was deleted years ago for prime. Wondered if it's like that for everyone.... picks your oldest frame.

I suspect you're right about what frame it defaults to choosing for you after subsuming a frame. Mine goes to base Excalibur which was my starter frame.

42 minutes ago, sly_squash said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can't "sell" your last warframe because it would be the currently-active one and the game won't let you sell your currently-active warframe.

You totally can sell your active frame.  Used to do it fairly frequently when grinding mastery with frames.  You continue walking around as your sold frame until you access your arsenal, or possibly play a mission.  Then it swaps you to your oldest frame.

6 minutes ago, Electric.Sheep said:

you have to choose a frame to put the subsumed ability on. if you have no other frame then you woudln't be able to proceed. my bad if someone already posted it but i'm too lazy to read stuff i couldn't care less about

Have you tested to ensure this is true? Because unless the almighty Pablo foresaw the possibility of this happening and explicitly disabled the "Subsume" button when it's your last frame, some wild stuff could happen.

2 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Suit can't enter any missions except Recovery, and Zanuka can't spawn in Recovery

Right but if we assume subsuming your last frame forces you to use Suit then it'd also need to allow Suit to enter normal missions to refarm Warframe parts to build a normal Warframe again, and Zanuka does spawn in normal missions.

3 minutes ago, sly_squash said:

Have you tested to ensure this is true? Because unless the almighty Pablo foresaw the possibility of this happening and explicitly disabled the "Subsume" button when it's your last frame, some wild stuff could happen.

Right but if we assume subsuming your last frame forces you to use Suit then it'd also need to allow Suit to enter normal missions to refarm Warframe parts to build a normal Warframe again, and Zanuka does spawn in normal missions.

you can't choose a warframe to put the ability on... have you ever noticed that while selecting a warframe to put the subsumed ability onto, that the warframe you're currently sitting in is conspicuously absent? 

2 minutes ago, Electric.Sheep said:

you can't choose a warframe to put the ability on... have you ever noticed that while selecting a warframe to put the subsumed ability onto, that the warframe you're currently sitting in is conspicuously absent? 

What are you talking about? There is no "selecting a warframe to put a subsumed ability into". It always does it to the currently-active frame. Same with Subsuming.

6 hours ago, Wolfdoggie said:

I dunno but everytime I subsume it defaults to Frost Prime which I'm pretty sure is my first frame crafted and starter volt was deleted years ago for prime. Wondered if it's like that for everyone.... picks your oldest frame.

It's does. Mine goes back to Mag

It does the same for weapons if you sell one that you're currently using.

9 hours ago, Voltage said:

Suit also wields a gun and sword in one hand, at the same time. Every time I see that screenshot, I laugh very hard!

Less spectacular question... What happens if you take the frame you want to subsume, have it killed by the G3 and tagged with the Ascaris negator thing, and then subsume it? Helminth probably just digests the negator with no effect...

22 minutes ago, nslay said:

Less spectacular question... What happens if you take the frame you want to subsume, have it killed by the G3 and tagged with the Ascaris negator thing, and then subsume it? Helminth probably just digests the negator with no effect...

It's called a Grustrag Bolt, and... that is a good question. Because if you subsume a Bolted frame, that means you can theoretically have a Bolt Remover Blueprint in your inventory with no frames to use it on

Archived