Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Concept for Parazon grapple hook mechanic

Tyreaus

This isn't really a new idea, since it was shown in cutscenes during the Jackal fight, but is an idea for "how it could work in-game".

When aiming at a target - surface or enemy - within range (say, ~30-50m), pressing the bullet jump input causes the player to launch their Parazon at the target instantly. The player travels in the direction of the grapple point without gravity, as if they're being pulled along by the Parazon cord, and stops once they reach the grapple point. (If used on an enemy target, this stuns the enemy when the Parazon connects and knocks the enemy down when the player reaches them, opening them up to a ground finisher)

There would be two ways to cancel this technique:

1. Double-jumping, which would cancel forward momentum and let the player drop.

2. Attacking with a melee, which would keep forward momentum but let the player drop.

In addition to traversal range and lack of gravity, I think this would be best if, unlike bullet jumping, this could be used an indefinite number of times in the air. That way, chaining grapples could be an effective means of transport - especially vertically.

I think this control scheme shouldn't interfere with how people play - it wouldn't affect me - but I'd like to hear what other people think, or if others have a different idea on how to do this. :)

The problem is... indoor tilesets.

There's a great many tilesets where the majority of the surfaces are within 30 metres, meaning that instead of a consistent bullet jump, you're constantly being pulled about by a Parazon. Yes, this can be cancelled, but it makes the process of Bullet Jumping inconsistent and unpredicatable, which isn't good, as core systems like movement need to be predictable so they can be mastered.

If we can find a way to add the Parazon Grappling hook in a way that fits on a controller and is comfortable for Keyboard, it should be an extension of the current movement system, not replacing parts of it under certain contexts.

20 hours ago, Loza03 said:

The problem is... indoor tilesets.

There's a great many tilesets where the majority of the surfaces are within 30 metres, meaning that instead of a consistent bullet jump, you're constantly being pulled about by a Parazon. Yes, this can be cancelled, but it makes the process of Bullet Jumping inconsistent and unpredicatable, which isn't good, as core systems like movement need to be predictable so they can be mastered.

If we can find a way to add the Parazon Grappling hook in a way that fits on a controller and is comfortable for Keyboard, it should be an extension of the current movement system, not replacing parts of it under certain contexts.

Does the requirement of aiming when bullet jumping to grapple change anything? Whenever I'm bullet jumping, I'm generally never ADSing - which is where that thought came from.

I just can't think of a time I'd need this. It's cool sure but unless you extend the range it's probably just as quick to bullet jump, now if I could hack at range or preform long range finishers when undetected or just grapple enemies into melee range those would be consistently useful assuming of course they could be implemented for controllers.

What about double tapping reload while aiming/blocking?

People barely aim (especially on pc) and the double tap is to prevent players from using it accidentally (unless they are mashing the button while aiming).

Also, this would only pull an enemy to you, doesn't do anything if hitting a wall or an non pullable enemy (a thumper,for example); to pull yourself to an enemy/location, hold reload while aiming.

20 minutes ago, (PS4)DidacoJack said:

What about double tapping reload while aiming/blocking?

People barely aim (especially on pc) and the double tap is to prevent players from using it accidentally (unless they are mashing the button while aiming).

Also, this would only pull an enemy to you, doesn't do anything if hitting a wall or an non pullable enemy (a thumper,for example); to pull yourself to an enemy/location, hold reload while aiming.

Reload forces you out of zoom on some weapons, though.

Also this would render Valkyr's Ripline redundant.

On 2020-09-07 at 5:19 AM, (PS4)SlvrSwrd92 said:

It's cool sure but unless you extend the range it's probably just as quick to bullet jump

FWIW, I'm certainly not wed to the 30-50m range I listed. Could even be that it doesn't have a max range (beyond some kind of technical cap so it doesn't spaz out trying to look for a non-existent wall, e.g. in open worlds).

The Parazon really should be added as a weapon in game, with a proper array of mods, perhaps borrowing some from melee weapons, and used in combat and movement.

How to switch to Parazon: Press and hold X.
Currently we tap X for doing Parazon finishers (a.k.a Mercy) and tap X to hack consoles and interact with various objects. Pressing and holding X to pull out the Parazon and use it, seems to feel natural.

Parazon features. 

- Can be used as a melee weapon, with similar stats to Daggers. Pressing E executes various Parazon moves. Tap E for quick hack and slashes. Hold E to either grapple an enemy and pull them to yourself, or hook on to a wall or surface and pull yourself to that surface. Aim + forward key + E at an enemy to hook them and grapple yourself towards them (similar to "gap closer" moves of normal melee weapons). However, Parazon cannot perform ground slams, you can still slam down while airborne but it won't be an AOE, just a single target knockdown, if you connect with an enemy. Parazon cannot "lift" enemies either. The Parazon also has a very low blocking angle, but it can do some parrying of enemy melee attacks.

- Perhaps can be upgraded in terms of base damage stat values via converting our actual various Dagger weapons into Parazon blades

- Can be modded, add new mods to the game which will: Increase range of hacking, Increase range of Mercy Kills (for some fancy Parazon blade throws to the head from a slight distance), Increase range of grapple hooking 

Archived