Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why is this game so good?

Zengur

Question

I'm one of those guys who gave the game a third shot. First time I tried it in 2016 on a machine that couldn't really run it well so that was that. Then in 2017 I tried again but ended up being overwhelmed of information and despite trying to play it for a day or two just gave up - I couldn't understand almost anything about what was going , I had problems finding the menus and options I wanted, was offended by the what I thought were garishly coloured graphics and whatnot

Then a few weeks ago I landed an extended leave from work with a powerful laptop packed in my gym bag, and thought what the hell, why not try it again. I have time to kill, and after all I loved Mass Effect 3 which shares... some of the characteristics (a group of players fighting alien factions in SPACE  with gear and weapons you can MOD with s**t though that's about it), created a new account and this time around instead of clicking random buttons wondering what the **ck is going on I went through the tutorial  mission slowly and deliberately, gave thought to what I was doing and started reading tutorials and the Wiki as I went along. And slowly, everything started making more and more sense... 

I have now finished five missions and I'm absolutely blown away and hooked. It's complicated, they say, but if don't you don't understand something just read a Wiki article or look for one of the several tutorials... or just enjoy the ride and don't worry. I love the complexity and what appears to be endless option and variations to do endless variable things.

Please help, I'm afraid I've become addicted, how do you wean yourself away from Warframe when your vacation, leave or whatever ends and you have to return into the horrible grind of office life, you know the one where you farm reports and have to type really quickly to survive the endless horde of emails to respond within SLA and avoid the Gorgon that patrols the info and reception desk?

Thanks in advance.

edit: how do I change my profile picture, pls thnx

Does the ingame VOIP work well, or do people require third party apps to talk to each other?

I'd love to join a clan (how should I go about it?) but the router I'm connected to right now is not in my control and blocks Warframe's chat server for some reason. I could of course try a mobile hotspot instead, mine is hella fast.

I'm finding trying to level up my Mastery Rank is a huge chore playing solo >:[

Yay started using the Foundry and built a Burston since it was, uhh, there, I had the resources for it, and does not seem that bad vs Braton once I get to level it up. Now I'm building a Furis to go along for some runs to level these kids up, and next up will be the Taxon sentinel.

Apparently forging new guns and using them is an efficient way to get Master Ranks, yes?

8 hours ago, Pulsar63 said:

Noob ;-) (just kidding)

Remember, mods are eveything. Hence, apart from them having stronger weapons than you, they will have level 80-90 weapons (i.e., with a potato and several formas, thus having 80-90 mod capacity), so those weapons are orders of magnitude better than yours.

My Kuva Ogris reach 50-60.000 dmg per shot. Some players even reach kind of 100.000 dmg per shot. Do you realize how different is your Boltor with perhaps 1000 dmg, and those? :-)

And I thought I was BADA$$ when my MK1-Paris pops of 6400 dmg per shot at the infested while I was just MR3 >:[

5 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Hm, you're still not past that?

Now I am, I spent an inordinate time playing "easy" missions against low level Grineer to get a hang of the game. I lucked out today and got a bunch of Void Fissure missions with level 8-11 enemies and got to MR 2 easily while leveling up all the weapons I use several times over, including my Frame.

Go through a bunch of weapons and you should be able to get at least a few MRs under your belt easily enough.

I've been using the forge very sparingly, my mistake. All the blueprints I could buy or found were either S#&$ I didn't want to or Mastery Locked AND I spent most of my credits tanking up my Frame. And oh, and I never had the proper components for anything even if i had the credits.  I have a gigantic storage of Ferrite and Rubido and not much else >:[ That's soon in the past though now that I'm shooting up up Corpus SPACE MEN, those box headed toilethats, in Venus so I can get to Mercury. 

Mind, I'm not saying MR progression > everything else, but there are a plethora of gameplay benefits from raising your MR
(gaining access to more equipment, unlocking trading / Syndicates, more daily trades / Standing, free Loadout slots, and whatnot).

Try to get / rank up base damage, Multishot, and elemental Mods (BTW learn what damage types are effective against what),
also Melee is more than just a fallback for when you run out of ammo, it's stupid strong with a minimum of Mod investment.

From the mod drops I've received this far it appears I have to buy the useful damage mods but first I have to get to missions where I can farm money. I have, like, 4 rifle mods that are somehow remotely usable and my Serration is flawed so ranking it stopped at level 3. 

And yes Melee is poweérfuailé. If something like 6 Corrupted Corpus charge me in a corridor I'm certainly not trying to frag them with my peashooter Braton (it's ok for shooting up regular targets from range though) and will whip out my Skana. I've finished some Void Fissure missions using it almost exclusively.  Hooray for melee.

3 hours ago, Zengur said:

Mastery Rank 1

Hm, you're still not past that?

Go through a bunch of weapons and you should be able to get at least a few MRs under your belt easily enough.

Mind, I'm not saying MR progression > everything else, but there are a plethora of gameplay benefits from raising your MR
(gaining access to more equipment, unlocking trading / Syndicates, more daily trades / Standing, free Loadout slots, and whatnot).

3 hours ago, Zengur said:

my damage output is feeble

Try to get / rank up base damage, Multishot, and elemental Mods (BTW learn what damage types are effective against what),
also Melee is more than just a fallback for when you run out of ammo, it's stupid strong with a minimum of Mod investment.

8 hours ago, Pulsar63 said:

Regarding them being useful against one enemy type only, I use the A B C loadouts for factions (A = Grineer, B = Corpus, C = Infested), so I have a quick setup for any faction, already set.

Same style and same order here, except for the 4th loadout which I simply named LevelUp which contains my lower ranked weapons I want to, uhh, level up on perhaps the easier missions. 

On 2020-10-18 at 12:47 PM, L1GUR said:

Dunno man, feels like levels 1-3 three are the sh****est in the game because you don't have any weapons and few mods and you can't use most of them anyway

WF is not meant to be rushed - especially at the beginning. If you take your time and enjoy playing low-level missions, you evolve gradually.

Of course if you rush and run into higher levels unprepared, you feel weak - because you aren't ready for that.

From my meager experience with the game, the melee weapons are simply the best DPS available. 

Yes, I'd say the developers really push the use of melee weapons (it makes the game feel different from all the other shooters).

That's why you noticed many advanced players using mostly melee.

Also didn't hurt I spent a few €  to get extra inventory and mod slots.

You either grind A LOT, or you pay some bucks; it's a F2P game, after all. :-)

But that Orokin stuff really makes your gear shine against your level of opposition. 

Look at weapons / frames like this:

- Up to level (= mod capacity) 15, they are crap and mostly useless.

- At level 30 (no Orokin potato), they are useful but somehow weak.

- At level 60 (with potato), they are good.

- At level 80-90 (with some Formas), they are great.

Do not think rank 30 stuff is ok; equipment is really meant to be used at level 60. Level 30 is just "half-baked", so you're pushed to buy potatoes (= $ x DE).

Playing with equipment at level 30, is like driving a car with a four-cylinders engine, with just two pistons working :-)

Thanks, what I've figured this far just find Dark Sector missions and complete the first wave, rinse and repeat, I had Kadesh in mind but THEN I FOUND OUT YOU DON'T JUST GO TO MARS.

It'll need to find away to do Once Awake and work my way to Mercury like probably all if you know, and TBH level 20 enemies right now will kick my Mastery Rank 1 guys ass. IMO I'm pretty tanky (during the last Vor mission I could eat a sandwich and let the enemy shoot at me to no effect) but my damage output is feeble against high level space weirdos.

I've actually run out of ammo trying to finish wave 14 in a defense mission against Grineer  because it took clips and clips to take down a single unit >:[

18 hours ago, Zengur said:

I love it, it's accurate and deals a ton of damage in a jiffy but the ammo expenditure almost makes me want to fix my Furis with a magazine upgrade :E

I have to tell you, IMO weapons and frame without an Orokin "enhancer" (Orokin Catalyst for weapons, O. Reactor for warframe - AKA "potato") are basically crippled. Such "potato" doubles the mod capacity, so in practice it doubles the item's power. With 30 capacity you can barely fit 3 or 4 basic mods; with 60, you go much higher and you reveal the weapon's true potential.

So, my advice is this: when you really like a weapon or frame, bite the bullet and invest in a potato for it. Your enjoyment will rise. :-)

If you don't have some dollars to spare, learn about trading. I have plenty of Prime items, lots of rare mods, and I spent just 5 real dollars; the rest I got through trading.

Don't rush to enhance an item though: if you get a better one soon, you'll stop using the old one, so your "investment" in it would become useless. Think about it, and about eventual better ones you can get soon.

Anyway the idea of grinding through 15-25 Defense missions just to rank a weapon you don't even like is pretty daunting to me.

Yeah, the Affinity (points for Mastery Rank) you get when playing solo is really small. The system looks designed for team play.

It is worth it, though, because a weapon at less than Rank 30 is quite crappy (see above). At around 30 it becomes usually viable (although not great).

Also it appears you get crap for credits selling weapons. Might be wrong, have not sold level 30 stuff. 

Yes, the Credit amount is small (and has nothing to do with Rank). Sell just the weapons you'll never use again. Selling greatest gain is getting back a slot (since such slot costs 6 platinum x weapons, 20 for frames).

got myself Serratus and Point Blank and some damage mods

Good mods are just necessary. Without them, any weapon is lousy.

Keep in mind, though: trading with players is usually cheaper than "official" DE prices. IF you don't yet know it, go to https://warframe.market/ and you'll find any tradeable item, with their prices.

Can't wait to get Hek... some day.

Hek was my favourite shotgun until I got Sobek (kind of an enhanced Hek). I'm still using the Sobek :-)

Would love to play in a squad but have to play solo for now,

When you'll get to team play, you'll be surprised how easy some missions become (bosses included), and how much more Affinity you'll get.

One thing I noticed was everyone was dropping energy for the mining stations, in the Void Fissure missions they were very few and far between

It's quite random: sometimes the energy-carrying guys are plentiful, and sometimes they don't show up. If you don't see them, try a different place in the map.

*sob* Upgrading my Frame with Vitality and Redirection has become so expensive (my health and shields are close to 500 soon)  I'm all out of Credits (13k left) and Endo (5 left...) even after selling all the mods I won't use for Endo. 

Now to find out how Mastery rank 1 character can get his hands on both >:[

Gonna finish the Vor quest arch first. 

edit:

Q: When I shoot at SPACE MONSTER and the hit registers in yellow color, I assume that was a critical hit, rite?

Q: I have a habit of exploring every nook and cranny in hopes of finding something loot worthy, especially in an area where I have not been before, is this good or bad and should i just speed run through everything or does it, uhhh, depend?

Hi all Ditto on Mass Effect, great game. I like the variety and depth of scope. This game is really a huge universe and like 11 games or more in one. For Free!!! You really can play free with out plat. One of my favs is trading, love acquiring and hoarding stuff. Love also free roam and gather random loot. Have done 3 hour or more and get lots stuff, resource booster helps. Done mostly solo. Also invested in clan and rail jack for the future!!! :) Also they bring stuff n episodes in every 1 1/2 to 3 months and that refreshes game, rail jack night wave etc etc.

3 hours ago, Pulsar63 said:

Remember: WF is all about the mods :-D

Without the right mods, no weapon (or frame) can be good. That's why dedicated players invest in "potatoes" and forma to put more mods onto stuff.

And learn about different damage: physical damage (impact, puncture, slash) is not enough. You need to add elemental dmg to kill higher enemies. E.g. Heat is good against mostly everything, Viral is quite powerful.

I've been memorizing the Damage page from Warframe Wiki since day one. Currently my prepped loadouts (I have three, I spent a cheeseburger's worth of Plat to buy an extra slot and will soon get one more once I get to RM4 ) is something like:

Grineer: Braton/Strun + basic damage mod (Serration or Point Blank) and piercing damage, toxic, cold, firing speed mods + some S#&$ | Furis with Hornet, toxic, cold, firing speed and extra ammo mods |  MK1-Bo with basic damage mod, cold, toxin, fury and extra impact cause something something

Corpus: Strun (TAKE SOME IMPACT DAMAGE, SPACE PERVERTS) with Point Blank and toxin, cold and impact mods | Kraken (**ck ur shields, boxheads) with basic damage, pathogens, speed triggah and mag upgrade.

Infested: Strun with basic damage, and toxin (I miss a heat mod for this build >:[ ) acceleration and crit mods | Lato with basic damage and heat, toxin and quickdraw mods, breathe gas you freaks | MK-1 Bo with basic damage, heat, toxin and fury mods.

Apart from level 30 Skana my weapons range from rank 15 to rank 25. When I'm not trying to pack a punch for what I think is a  hard mission, I'm leveling up my Boltor and MK1-Furis with whatever mods I figure will hurt the primary enemy of my next mission.

One of the more enjoyable parts of this game is trying to figure out what I think are effective weapon e builds for enemy X, Y or Z :)

At first I was like "wtf, how do higher level players update their new guns" but of course, they are MR20 or MR25 or something so even an unranked weapon does b1tchin' damage once you pack 20 points worth of mods on it straight up. 

And talking about mods, you know about Baro Ki'teer, right?

He appears every fortnight, and sells powerful Primed mods. They cost a lot of credits and Ducats, though (Ducats are acquired through the Prime parts you get from Void Fissure missions).

I know of Baro but alas have not met him yet. Though I think I'm a bit away from being able to buy anything from him :/

Usually I love sniper rifles, but in WF they have limited use: the game is usually too fast for sniping. They can be handy for beginners, though, when other weapons are weaker.

My first sniper was the Vulkar, and it helped me many times. I think it's easier to build than Vectis.

You either invest the time for grinding a lot, or you pay to get better stuff sooner. If you learn about trading, you may acquire great stuff without spending a cent in real money.

Just waitin' for that elusive heat mod for rifles/shotguns. 175 missions this far and haven't seem them yet >:[

12 hours ago, L1GUR said:

The #*!%ah runs out of ammo all the time!

Yeah, you're right! Now I remember :-D

It's its greatest weakness. With the Karak Wraith (double the ammo), it got much better. Low ammo could be counter-balanced with movement: attack, run away and reload, come back and attack again, etc. Standing still in WF is never good.

OTOH, every weapon has some kind of weakness, and using mods it's the way to overcome it.

But level 5 wasn't an ecstasy of destruction to say the least....

Most weapons are crap at level 5 :-)

It's a weird rifle. The underlying statistics are poor, but when you get enough rank to slam some upgrades on it it becomes terrific in eliminating lvl 8-16 space monsters which I play against most of the time. 

Its strong point is the rate of fire. Especially when aiming for headshots, can kill relatively fast. And since it's quite accurate, you can attack from afar.

Still if I'm playing a difficult mission I pick my maxed out Hek and Excalibur.

What the Hek! ;-D

I is depressed >:[

I'm STILL MR 2. The last thing I did last night was play one defense against Grineer with a newly crafted Kraken pistol to play a Mastery Fodder role, leveled it to rank 5 and then took two Void Fissure missions with more serious firepower and for my troubles I got around 1000 points towards reaching MR3.

And that was mostly from the Kraken - the Void Fissure missions (I was using lvl 11 - 20 weapons and leveled my Excalibur to 30) helped me along about 200 MR points per. So I need to play around 16-17 Void Fissure missions to get to MR3 as of now... I can't do junctions because my PARKOUR SKILLZ suck and the JACKÀ$$ at Fossa always makes mince out of me at this point.

Is this game even possible to advance ranks fastah without playing with squads? (Which I can't do right now, I'm doing a gig in a huge public sector organization for 4 more weeks and it's hella sure the IT guys here won't do anything about Strict NAT because some random dude wants to play a computer game in the evenings). 

I've been doing what Infested mission are available in Earth and Mars and my cash and Endo are in good shape for a beginner who can't even handle Mercury junction, perhaps I should just buy and craft total $|-|17 and start leveling them up or something, I don't have the components to craft any blueprints I own right now. 

Bleh.

1 hour ago, L1GUR said:

does anyone use the "BANE [etc] mods

They are quite powerful, especially the Primed versions, it's just that it's annoying for many players to make / switch to faction-specific loadouts
when most of the time, an all-round setup (and / or overwhelming damage lol) will do ~well enough against everything.

On 2020-09-21 at 3:21 PM, dwqrf said:

This is wrong. When playing SOLO (which seems to be the case of OP), you don't get ANY affinity on the gear you don't use. Because the rule is :
-If you kill with a spell, 100% of the xp goes to the frame.
-If you kill with a weapon, 50% goes to the frame and 50% to the said weapon.
So in both case, 0% goes to the other weapons.

You're right.

I misinterpreted my Affinity results when playing in team (so getting Affinity to my unused weapons from other players), and didn't notice it didn't work that way when playing SOLO.

My apologies, and thanks for the clarification.

Regarding our novice friend @Zengur :-) I have another suggestion: as soon as you can (MR5), try to acquire the Ignis flamethrower (through Chem Lab in the Dojo clan). It's amazing. At MR16 I'm still using the (slightly better) Ignis Wraith, even on high level Sorties. It's really a leap over other AoE / CC starter weapons, and pretty versatile too (burning enemies get panicked, so they stop caring about you).

19 minutes ago, L1GUR said:

Same style and same order here, except for the 4th loadout which I simply named LevelUp which contains my lower ranked weapons I want to, uhh, level up on perhaps the easier missions. 

When I said "loadout", I actually meant "Config" slots (each frame and weapon has 3, but you can buy more). So for every weapon I setup 3 Configs for the 3 factions.

On 2020-09-11 at 3:46 AM, Zengur said:

Q: I have a habit of exploring every nook and cranny in hopes of finding something loot worthy, especially in an area where I have not been before, is this good or bad and should i just speed run through everything or does it, uhhh, depend?

Hey man,

First off, welcome back to an indubitably great game! I sincerely hope the Tenno in the system have been treating you well. As someone who's given this game 3 separate tries since Feb 1 of 2019 (when I first played it, bear in mind I was forced to stop playing due to storage issues at some stage) I can tell you that this game is captivating and actually beautiful. I have 690 or so hours clocked, when I've only had access to playing the game (due to storage problems) for about 4 or 5 months at the most. There's no cure to this addiction. I'm Mastery 14 and have everything I've ever wanted: my 3 favourite frames (Gauss, Baruuk, Ash Prime), my 2 favourite weapons (Acceltra, Nikana Prime) and everything else I've wanted. Yet, I still can't get enough of this goddamned game, lmfao!

I just thought I should pipe in to answer this question, because it's going to be quintessential advice for your future: later on, you will join factions known as 'Syndicates' (That is, if you haven't already). There are 6 Syndicates, and each has one that they are allied with, one that they are opposed with and one that they are enemies with (allied: 50% of EXP gained for your main Syndicate goes towards the ally, opposed: 50% of EXP gained for your main syndicate will go into negatives for that Syndicate, compelling them to occasionally send hordes against you akin to Stalker, enemies: 100% of all EXP you gain for your main syndicate will go into negatives for this Syndicate) meaning you will garner the same amount of hatred (theoretically) as you do compassion. However, this is all more technical, and not necessary yet.

You will gain access to a set of missions, resetting every day, known as Syndicate missions. These missions will play very similarly to their normal counterparts, except you will get two little Henchmen that vary based on Syndicate (also, you get to tell them to move around or sit still, it's fun!) and the levels will be slightly harder. This will be necessary to rank up your Syndicates and gain access to coveted Augment mods for certain Warframes, as well as Syndicate-unique weapons. However, in every Syndicate mission, there are 8 hidden things: known as Syndicate Medallions. These are usually out of the way, but they can grant significant boosts to your standing with those syndicates (which, given the daily standing cap preventing you from gaining an infinite amount of standing per day, becomes vital) so I'd maintain this habit you have of searching everywhere in search of these medallions later.

There's a lot to go through with the Syndicate system, and I can't cover it in one post. Feel free to contact me should you like further assistance!

TL;DR: Keep up the habit for a future set of daily missions :D

Have a good day,

MakeEmBurn

Hey guys, first off, thanks for helping me and I still have 1 000 000 questions despite spending 50% of my gaming time on the Wiki... AAAAND my mobile operator  disabled Strict NAT (at least last night) and I was able to join a few squad games. 

Hell yeah, got something like 2000 XP towards MR4 in a few hours of gaming time (also had a very successful solo round at a Fissure).

For a MR10 or MR20 player this is probably nothing, but for someone who regularly gets 100-200pts of XP per mission and is still MR2 that was huge.

Also a little confusing, everything from choosing missions to actually doing them is so friggin' fast I didn't even have the time to choose loadouts before I was already on top of another target :--D 

Drat. My Hek is a little bit "meh" considering how much it has been posted as one of the BEST0R SHOTGUN IN GAME, but that said, I have $hi7 all for Shotgun mods. A crit booster, level 9 point blank, toxic mod I by stupid choice upgraded to level 7 and **ck all after that. Ok I have an electric and cold mods as well, but since I'm MR4 and and my Hek is paltry level 10 I can only fit one damage mod vs pistols and rifles I can always spice up with extra ammo, speed reload, status bonus or something. Strun, and several weapons nobody apparently uses after reaching level "can find the run button" takes out more targets faster.

It's nice; kills almost everything I face for missions I am ranked for in one shot but it's no street sweeper so I'm spending 75% of my time reloading while performing Parkour trix to avoid the Infested in Malva :---D

The Lex I just bought on the other hand was more than I asked for to complete Mars missions. Even unranked it takes down Grineer like nothing else I have, someone compared it to a Desert Eagle and I concur. I can outsnipe snipers and most shots are one shot one kill, and every headshot is a dead target for sure, range does not matter much.

I'm sure the Hek will turn for the better once I reach higher MR and get more shotgun mods. Now it... just... takes... out... a few... SPACE... MONSTERS bangbangbang.. Then I wait and reload until I'm out of beer. Not cool when there's 10 infested running at you face. 

Of course it's foolish to bring both Hek and Lex to any mission which requires clearing up charging hordes of lvl 8-16 enemies or whatever I usually face at my mastery but I want to level them both up so bad. (Yes I can always grab a lvl 30 melee weapon as a side to clear up any problems when about to lose shields or get surrounded, but ain't getting no MR Exp for that.)

I'll go on with question:

I've been playing with Excalibur lvl 30 for one or two weeks now. Love that kit, but I also love MR exp.

What is the easiest Frame you can get without grinding for 30 missions all inside of Earth/Venus/Mercury/Mars? I miss the exp I get out of ranking my Frame. I've heard everyone say "Rhino" but I not easy to farm vs the improved SPACE CRAB. 

My Strun/Hek & Lex/Kraken can deal with most enemies on solo missions I can play, even with a cra*py low ranked frame I'm pretty sure. I just want one more to speed up my MR exp. It can be a crappy frame, just something you don't have to play 24 hours to get. 

On 2020-09-06 at 3:19 PM, Zengur said:

Please help, I'm afraid I've become addicted, how do you wean yourself away from Warframe

Easy - run the Deadlock Protocol quest, once you've tried the boss fight you'll quit in disgust.

(or, if you're like me and hate the jumpettity jump "parkour" mechanic, do the Octavia quest and get so annoyed at having to repeat the same annoying level 3 times, you'll quit in disgust). If there's one thing that has turned me off WF its this: DE makes a boss fight bad by first giving it some annoying mechanic, and then making you repeat it. Several times.

However, normal life won't return for months and months, so you're good to stay keen until you got to those horribly frustrating "challenges".

*Laughs*

You don't really leave it until you really leave it.  Even then, as you found, you may be back!

I would recommend spending your 'away time' studying the wiki, finding and absorbing specific warframe builds and strategies, and looking at play-through videos of potential trouble spots.  :)

Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Archived