Why is this game so good?

Question

I'm one of those guys who gave the game a third shot. First time I tried it in 2016 on a machine that couldn't really run it well so that was that. Then in 2017 I tried again but ended up being overwhelmed of information and despite trying to play it for a day or two just gave up - I couldn't understand almost anything about what was going , I had problems finding the menus and options I wanted, was offended by the what I thought were garishly coloured graphics and whatnot

Then a few weeks ago I landed an extended leave from work with a powerful laptop packed in my gym bag, and thought what the hell, why not try it again. I have time to kill, and after all I loved Mass Effect 3 which shares... some of the characteristics (a group of players fighting alien factions in SPACE  with gear and weapons you can MOD with s**t though that's about it), created a new account and this time around instead of clicking random buttons wondering what the **ck is going on I went through the tutorial  mission slowly and deliberately, gave thought to what I was doing and started reading tutorials and the Wiki as I went along. And slowly, everything started making more and more sense... 

I have now finished five missions and I'm absolutely blown away and hooked. It's complicated, they say, but if don't you don't understand something just read a Wiki article or look for one of the several tutorials... or just enjoy the ride and don't worry. I love the complexity and what appears to be endless option and variations to do endless variable things.

Please help, I'm afraid I've become addicted, how do you wean yourself away from Warframe when your vacation, leave or whatever ends and you have to return into the horrible grind of office life, you know the one where you farm reports and have to type really quickly to survive the endless horde of emails to respond within SLA and avoid the Gorgon that patrols the info and reception desk?

Thanks in advance.

edit: how do I change my profile picture, pls thnx

Edited by Zengur
  • Like 15

*Laughs*

You don't really leave it until you really leave it.  Even then, as you found, you may be back!

I would recommend spending your 'away time' studying the wiki, finding and absorbing specific warframe builds and strategies, and looking at play-through videos of potential trouble spots.  :)

Good Luck and Good Hunting!

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Zengur said:

how do I change my profile picture, pls thnx

The forums use the Glyph you selected in-game (Escape -> Profile -> Glyph),
check out this topic for a bunch of free ones:

6 hours ago, Zengur said:

Please help, I'm afraid I've become addicted, how do you wean yourself away from Warframe

It helps me when I realize how LOOPY Warframe is.

With "loopy" I mean you constantly play (work*) hard to get resources (be them credits, parts, mods, whatever), to improve your frames or weapons, so you can be more powerful and efficient in farming more resources, and so on and so on. It's an endless loop, and it's a loop because there's no goal or objective - other than constantly improving your frames and weapons (or acquiring new ones and improving them).

* In Warframe you often play missions not much because you enjoy playing them, but for their rewards - so it's a bit like work.

When I notice how loopy WF is, I find it quite silly, so I lose the desire to play it. For some days. Then I miss the thrill and excitation of it, and I play again :-D

Edited by Pulsar63

Holy crap that was tight, I've been doing exterminate missions with the odd capture and defense against Grineer on Earth to soup up my weapons and figure out how stuff works (I have a few missions left on the Vor quest) and suddenly a "Void Fissure" mission popped up. I had no idea what's up with that so I took my Mastery level 1 character, Excalibur 10 Frame and a rank 9 Braton with a few upgrades on Serration (no secondary gun, I wanted to level up my Braton!) and shuttled out of the orbital.

To find out I had to kill 58 Grineers between levels 6-8 :/ 

I haven't even seen anything above level 4 I think this far. Made it out with 71 health left out of 340 and 41 rifle ammo after lots of running, jumping and sliding away from #*!%ing weird space monsters. Now I have something called DethCube Prime Systems and wiki'ing what that even is, a level 12 frame and level 11 braton :) 

I get that the game gets kinda loopy, but it appears it will be a while before I run out of new things to find out...

edit: Oh the questions, should I make Vitality or Reflection my primary upgrade target on my frame (I've been upgrading them in sync), and since I can't get Aklaton because it's mastery locked, is there anything else I could or should consider to replace my level 8 Lato pistol?

Edited by Zengur
added q
  • Like 1
On 2020-09-07 at 3:20 AM, XTROPrime said:

I wrote an essay about this very topic - the goodness of Warframe.  I put it in the Fan Concepts section.  This is it.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1214012-how-do-i-love-thee-warframe-let-me-count-the-ways/?tab=comments#comment-11760501

Good essay, man. Or woman. Anyway, good. Lot's of stuff I agree with.

1 hour ago, Zengur said:

should I make Vitality or Reflection my primary upgrade target on my frame (I've been upgrading them in sync)

I assume you mean Redirection, and really, doing both about equally isn't the worst idea I dare say.

Focusing on Shields might be better early on, since that's a self-renewing resource and all,
though as you progress you'll continue to gain options to restore Health, as well as buff it and / or your Armor.

1 hour ago, Zengur said:

replace my level 8 Lato pistol

Try running some endless missions (e.g. Defense / Excavation / Sanctuary Onslaught) with a full Squad,
to rank up your equipment much faster than you'd likely be able to do on your own / in "regular" missions.

You should always rank your equipment to max before you discard it (i.e. sell it for Credits via Equipment -> Inventory),
also there's this to check out:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Weapons_Required_as_Crafting_Ingredients

But, to actually answer your question I guess lol, check the Equip list in your Arsenal,
that'll show you a bunch of weapons you can get at your current Mastery Rank,
try to always have something cooking / ready to be claimed in your Foundry, for your Mastery progress.

There isn't really anything you could currently (reasonably) get that's truly worth sticking with / investing Forma etc into,
so just try out whatever seems interesting, and keep it (for now) if you enjoy using it.

But FWIW, some early (no higher than MR3) weapon picks I might make would include ...

Karak (MR1) - just a solid Assault Rifle
Vectis (MR2) - a Sniper could be neat if you decide to delve into Free-Roam areas a bit
Paris (MR3) - for solo stealth runs

Kraken (MR0) - inb4 memes, but ~100 damage per trigger pull isn't terrible at that point
Furis (MR2) - free healing (and radial kerboom) if you can get the Winds of Purity Augment via trading
Sonicor (MR2) - Clan Research item (BTW join a Clan), AoE ragdoll funzies, just be aware of self-stagger
Lex (MR3) - it's basically a Desert Eagle, what more do you need to know :P

For Melee, it doesn't matter too much what you pick there,
your basic damage Mods will make pretty much anything good enough,
plus you get a really good Melee weapon from a certain Quest (spoilers)
so again, just use whatever seems fun (and / or what you got a Stance drop for).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Zengur said:

should I make Vitality or Reflection my primary upgrade target on my frame

@NinjaZeku has already given a great answer.

I feel I really need both.

With low Health you go down easy, and with low shield your health goes away pretty quickly. If I had to choose, I'd favour shield though: when they are gone, I can always run away to get time to restore them (while, for health, you have to find drops to restore it).

is there anything else I could or should consider to replace my level 8 Lato pistol?

I second the Lex pistol, and the Karak for primary: I used them a lot in my early time (I still have a Karak Wraith in my inventory).

For melee, the Atterax whip is great: it has long reach, and hits many enemies at once.

One last suggestion: try playing in a squad, not alone. I played alone for quite some time, afraid me being a novice would have annoyed my companions.

I was totally wrong: playing in a squad makes everything easier, you get much more Affinity / XP (you level frame/weapons faster), you may learn some tricks from others, feeling part of a team is great, and usually nobody will complain about your performance. The only downside: more experienced players are usually so fast, you can barely keep up with them ;-D

Edited by Pulsar63

Does the ingame VOIP work well, or do people require third party apps to talk to each other?

I'd love to join a clan (how should I go about it?) but the router I'm connected to right now is not in my control and blocks Warframe's chat server for some reason. I could of course try a mobile hotspot instead, mine is hella fast.

I'm finding trying to level up my Mastery Rank is a huge chore playing solo >:[

It's basically what I wanted ME3 multiplayer to be, along with the extremely satisfying parkour systems from games like Batman: Arkham, Assassin's Creed, etc. The sheer level of customization for pretty much EVERYTHING is also something I've rarely seen in games; from color coordination, accessories, cosmetic skins, and of course, being able to mod the everloving hell out of ANYTHING for weapons/frames to suit your personal gameplay styles. Being able to collect silly crazy junk to decorate around our ship (which also can be personalized) is just so inherently rewarding. The voice acting and quality is especially excellent, considering a "free to play" game that competes well against AAA studio quality.

My only real grump tends to be that the Mastery system itself is somewhat pointless after awhile. I'm up to MR25, and while the extra daily rep cap is nice, honestly, there's little incentive to overfarm for the crazy hard to get items, since there's ALREADY a huge stockpile that rarely gets used. I'd like to see the Mastery stuff be more about actually completing objectives and grinding effort, not just hopping into a ESO when you get a new frame/weapon that needs to get leveled and tossed.

Conceptually though, it's damn near ridiculous how smoothly and beautifully the game's graphics and engine perform, especially for the Railjack stuff where you're literally jumping between space flight, Archwing combat, base/ground missions with hardly a hiccup. Even as wonky as the Scarlet Spear rollout was, the idea of having paired space/ground teams supporting each other was incredible, and hopefully gets polished for future missions. I also really enjoy that while the maps are generally static/linear overall, the procedural spawning of them tends to keep it randomized up enough not to be too repetitive, but also allowing for the 3D areas to explore hidden hallways, secret rooms, and especially finding the backdoor ways around the Spy sensors/traps is challenging and rewarding.

*shrugs* I'm hard pressed to find another sci-fi ninja shoot em up while being a serious badass :P

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Zengur said:

Does the ingame VOIP work well, or do people require third party apps to talk to each other?

I'd love to join a clan (how should I go about it?) but the router I'm connected to right now is not in my control and blocks Warframe's chat server for some reason. I could of course try a mobile hotspot instead, mine is hella fast.

I'm finding trying to level up my Mastery Rank is a huge chore playing solo >:[

The ingame voice chat is decent. Used it in place of Discord just fine. You should check the Recruiting chat channel in game (use T to open your menu), there are usually clans recruiting.

Work on leveling your initial weapons/frames to 30, and start playing with the mods you acquire along the way. They are honestly what will make the difference for later missions in survival and damage. You should primarily focus on clearing the Star Map towards unlocking the various Junctions, as they will open up new planets and also provide you with new quests and rewards along the way. Good luck :D

Hi all Ditto on Mass Effect, great game. I like the variety and depth of scope. This game is really a huge universe and like 11 games or more in one. For Free!!! You really can play free with out plat. One of my favs is trading, love acquiring and hoarding stuff. Love also free roam and gather random loot. Have done 3 hour or more and get lots stuff, resource booster helps. Done mostly solo. Also invested in clan and rail jack for the future!!! :) Also they bring stuff n episodes in every 1 1/2 to 3 months and that refreshes game, rail jack night wave etc etc.

*sob* Upgrading my Frame with Vitality and Redirection has become so expensive (my health and shields are close to 500 soon)  I'm all out of Credits (13k left) and Endo (5 left...) even after selling all the mods I won't use for Endo. 

Now to find out how Mastery rank 1 character can get his hands on both >:[

Gonna finish the Vor quest arch first. 

edit:

Q: When I shoot at SPACE MONSTER and the hit registers in yellow color, I assume that was a critical hit, rite?

Q: I have a habit of exploring every nook and cranny in hopes of finding something loot worthy, especially in an area where I have not been before, is this good or bad and should i just speed run through everything or does it, uhhh, depend?

Edited by Zengur
added Q2 and Q3
1 hour ago, Zengur said:

I'm all out of Credits (13k left) and Endo (5 left...)

For early Credits, Dark Sectors (Infested missions with boosted drops) are neat, especially on Ceres (~25k per run).

For Endo, do the weekly Maroo mission (once you've reached her Bazaar on Mars),
keep an eye out for Ayatan Sculptures in other missions as well (Mods with Loot Radar help a lot).

Besides that, I guess try Excavation, and just keep Endo-ifying duplicate Mods.

1 hour ago, Zengur said:

Q: When I shoot at SPACE MONSTER and the hit registers in yellow color, I assume that was a critical hit, rite?

Indeed.

1 hour ago, Zengur said:

Q: I have a habit of exploring every nook and cranny

That's perfectly fine (if you're playing solo and thus don't make everyone else wait for you),
familiarize yourself with the tilesets, find little hidden spots that may e.g. hold Sabotage Caches, it's all good.

For maximizing loot gains, you usually want to just mow down enemies en masse / finish missions as fast as possible,
but that's certainly not the only way to play, do whatever is fun to you (and doesn't hurt others).

Edited by NinjaZeku
  • Like 2

Thanks, what I've figured this far just find Dark Sector missions and complete the first wave, rinse and repeat, I had Kadesh in mind but THEN I FOUND OUT YOU DON'T JUST GO TO MARS.

It'll need to find away to do Once Awake and work my way to Mercury like probably all if you know, and TBH level 20 enemies right now will kick my Mastery Rank 1 guys ass. IMO I'm pretty tanky (during the last Vor mission I could eat a sandwich and let the enemy shoot at me to no effect) but my damage output is feeble against high level space weirdos.

I've actually run out of ammo trying to finish wave 14 in a defense mission against Grineer  because it took clips and clips to take down a single unit >:[

You got "Dethcube Prime Systems" right? Those are "Prime Parts", You get these parts from cracking open this cabbage looking thing know as "Void Relic"

These parts are put together to make a "Prime" version of something, which is just a better version of an item, such as - Prime Warframe, Weapons,Sentinels and there is one Archwing as well

Now do keep in note that some parts are costlier than others, and there exists a "Vaulting" system, in which some parts are unobtainable as the Relics for it do not drop. These parts are usually quite costly. (You can still trade the parts or the vaulted relic).
Now how do you get the relic for a vaulted item? You can either wait for the "Unvaulting" or you can trade with someone for them as i mentioned before.

Also do keep in mind that platinum can be obtained fairly easily, but in the beginning, it is highly recommended that you use it to buy "Warframe slots" or "Weapon slots"

And remember, the wiki is possibly your bestfriend

Happy hunting fellow Tenno! :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Zengur said:

Mastery Rank 1

Hm, you're still not past that?

Go through a bunch of weapons and you should be able to get at least a few MRs under your belt easily enough.

Mind, I'm not saying MR progression > everything else, but there are a plethora of gameplay benefits from raising your MR
(gaining access to more equipment, unlocking trading / Syndicates, more daily trades / Standing, free Loadout slots, and whatnot).

3 hours ago, Zengur said:

my damage output is feeble

Try to get / rank up base damage, Multishot, and elemental Mods (BTW learn what damage types are effective against what),
also Melee is more than just a fallback for when you run out of ammo, it's stupid strong with a minimum of Mod investment.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Hm, you're still not past that?

Now I am, I spent an inordinate time playing "easy" missions against low level Grineer to get a hang of the game. I lucked out today and got a bunch of Void Fissure missions with level 8-11 enemies and got to MR 2 easily while leveling up all the weapons I use several times over, including my Frame.

Go through a bunch of weapons and you should be able to get at least a few MRs under your belt easily enough.

I've been using the forge very sparingly, my mistake. All the blueprints I could buy or found were either S#&$ I didn't want to or Mastery Locked AND I spent most of my credits tanking up my Frame. And oh, and I never had the proper components for anything even if i had the credits.  I have a gigantic storage of Ferrite and Rubido and not much else >:[ That's soon in the past though now that I'm shooting up up Corpus SPACE MEN, those box headed toilethats, in Venus so I can get to Mercury. 

Mind, I'm not saying MR progression > everything else, but there are a plethora of gameplay benefits from raising your MR
(gaining access to more equipment, unlocking trading / Syndicates, more daily trades / Standing, free Loadout slots, and whatnot).

Try to get / rank up base damage, Multishot, and elemental Mods (BTW learn what damage types are effective against what),
also Melee is more than just a fallback for when you run out of ammo, it's stupid strong with a minimum of Mod investment.

From the mod drops I've received this far it appears I have to buy the useful damage mods but first I have to get to missions where I can farm money. I have, like, 4 rifle mods that are somehow remotely usable and my Serration is flawed so ranking it stopped at level 3. 

And yes Melee is poweérfuailé. If something like 6 Corrupted Corpus charge me in a corridor I'm certainly not trying to frag them with my peashooter Braton (it's ok for shooting up regular targets from range though) and will whip out my Skana. I've finished some Void Fissure missions using it almost exclusively.  Hooray for melee.

45 minutes ago, Zengur said:

Now I am, I spent an inordinate time playing "easy" missions against low level Grineer to get a hang of the game. I lucked out today and got a bunch of Void Fissure missions with level 8-11 enemies and got to MR 2 easily while leveling up all the weapons I use several times over, including my Frame.

Hey, you go at your own pace as long as you're enjoying it. Reminds me of when I started, we began on Mercury and I think I spent almost my first week just farming Captain Vor's boss fight for fun/exp/mods/occasional Orokin Cells.

Regarding taking your time and looting: General purpose missions don't have much to offer here, but there are rare containers than might randomly spawn in unassuming spots. They hum, glow, and you'll know them when you see them.

Otherwise, the UI/transmissions will let you know if there are 'caches' to find as an optional bonus to that mission (most often Sabotage, but there are some others). When you unlock Syndicates, their faction-missions also encourage looting around for their respective macguffins (Marks, Medallions, whatever your syndicates of choice call them), which can help boost your Standing (faction reputation-come-currency) a bit.

If you buy Codex Scanners and complete entries for enemies, they'll show what mods and sometimes other loot they can drop, which can be helpful when you're looking for specific things.

Eventually, when you get through Mars into Phobos and can finally hit the first Void area branch from there, you might want to spend a fair amount of time in there. Containers in those missions, especially those found in specific spawn locations (for example the Parkour Challenge Rooms) have chances of dropping some pretty decent Mods for a newer player.

Starting with Excalibur was a good choice. His Exalted Melee (fourth ability) will be strong enough to deal with most tough encounters you come across on your journey through the star chart. Junction specters and bosses, cut 'em down.

You will need to craft a weapon requiring MR 5 for one junction task later on, so have a browse and make a note of one to chase, preferably one with mostly common resources to build.

• Like 1