Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why is this game so good?

Zengur

Question

I'm one of those guys who gave the game a third shot. First time I tried it in 2016 on a machine that couldn't really run it well so that was that. Then in 2017 I tried again but ended up being overwhelmed of information and despite trying to play it for a day or two just gave up - I couldn't understand almost anything about what was going , I had problems finding the menus and options I wanted, was offended by the what I thought were garishly coloured graphics and whatnot

Then a few weeks ago I landed an extended leave from work with a powerful laptop packed in my gym bag, and thought what the hell, why not try it again. I have time to kill, and after all I loved Mass Effect 3 which shares... some of the characteristics (a group of players fighting alien factions in SPACE  with gear and weapons you can MOD with s**t though that's about it), created a new account and this time around instead of clicking random buttons wondering what the **ck is going on I went through the tutorial  mission slowly and deliberately, gave thought to what I was doing and started reading tutorials and the Wiki as I went along. And slowly, everything started making more and more sense... 

I have now finished five missions and I'm absolutely blown away and hooked. It's complicated, they say, but if don't you don't understand something just read a Wiki article or look for one of the several tutorials... or just enjoy the ride and don't worry. I love the complexity and what appears to be endless option and variations to do endless variable things.

Please help, I'm afraid I've become addicted, how do you wean yourself away from Warframe when your vacation, leave or whatever ends and you have to return into the horrible grind of office life, you know the one where you farm reports and have to type really quickly to survive the endless horde of emails to respond within SLA and avoid the Gorgon that patrols the info and reception desk?

Thanks in advance.

edit: how do I change my profile picture, pls thnx

On 2020-09-12 at 9:44 AM, Zengur said:

Now I'm building a Furis to go along for some runs to level these kids up, and next up will be the Taxon sentinel.

Furis was a pretty good secondary for a while (now I mostly use a Pyrana, that is awesome, but it's MR12 so it will take you a while :-) ).

The Taxon gives you the Artax weapon for sentinels: it doesn't kill almost anyone, but its "cold / freeze" ray slows down enemies (pretty useful IMO).

Apparently forging new guns and using them is an efficient way to get Master Ranks, yes?

Yes, upranking frames and weapons (up to level 30) IS the way to raise Mastery Rank.

Sometimes you build and uprank a weapon you don't like, just to get more MR points (those are called "Mastery fodder" weapons). Once you get them to level 30, you can sell them (ESC / Equipment / Inventory) for some Credits.

Any other stuns ya'll veterans use to level up your brand new neat weapons?

I mostly do Sanctuary Onslaught for that. But it has level 20-30 enemies, so I think it's too soon for you.

Void Fissures are good for that (especially if you do them in team), and they give nice rewards.

At least if it isn't that Excavation

At my beginning I had serious trouble in Excavations (when going alone): my weapons weren't enough to handle all the enemies.

That changed when I got a shotgun: with it you can kill enemies in one shot, so Excavation becomes more manageable.

Early game shotguns that I liked:

- Strun (MR1) - Strong against Corpus

- Hek (MR4) - Especially strong against Grineer

I wonder when people get tired of my newbie questions, but I figure Void Fissure missions are a pretty decent way to level up your new gear. I'm currently taking any and all Void Fissure cases which I deem survivable (Excavation Void Fissure with lvl 11-13 Corpus for example wasn't a very good idea with my MR and gear and I wasted an eternity only to leave empty handed).

Any other stuns ya'll veterans use to level up your brand new neat weapons?

Also HAHAHA I got a Fever mod for my sword and now no Corpus can withstand my might. At least if it isn't that Excavation **it. Doesn't level up new gear though, but gets me out of bad situations. 

Yay started using the Foundry and built a Burston since it was, uhh, there, I had the resources for it, and does not seem that bad vs Braton once I get to level it up. Now I'm building a Furis to go along for some runs to level these kids up, and next up will be the Taxon sentinel.

Apparently forging new guns and using them is an efficient way to get Master Ranks, yes?

45 minutes ago, Zengur said:

Now I am, I spent an inordinate time playing "easy" missions against low level Grineer to get a hang of the game. I lucked out today and got a bunch of Void Fissure missions with level 8-11 enemies and got to MR 2 easily while leveling up all the weapons I use several times over, including my Frame.

Hey, you go at your own pace as long as you're enjoying it. Reminds me of when I started, we began on Mercury and I think I spent almost my first week just farming Captain Vor's boss fight for fun/exp/mods/occasional Orokin Cells.

Regarding taking your time and looting: General purpose missions don't have much to offer here, but there are rare containers than might randomly spawn in unassuming spots. They hum, glow, and you'll know them when you see them.

Otherwise, the UI/transmissions will let you know if there are 'caches' to find as an optional bonus to that mission (most often Sabotage, but there are some others). When you unlock Syndicates, their faction-missions also encourage looting around for their respective macguffins (Marks, Medallions, whatever your syndicates of choice call them), which can help boost your Standing (faction reputation-come-currency) a bit.

If you buy Codex Scanners and complete entries for enemies, they'll show what mods and sometimes other loot they can drop, which can be helpful when you're looking for specific things.

Eventually, when you get through Mars into Phobos and can finally hit the first Void area branch from there, you might want to spend a fair amount of time in there. Containers in those missions, especially those found in specific spawn locations (for example the Parkour Challenge Rooms) have chances of dropping some pretty decent Mods for a newer player.

Starting with Excalibur was a good choice. His Exalted Melee (fourth ability) will be strong enough to deal with most tough encounters you come across on your journey through the star chart. Junction specters and bosses, cut 'em down.

You will need to craft a weapon requiring MR 5 for one junction task later on, so have a browse and make a note of one to chase, preferably one with mostly common resources to build.

5 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Hm, you're still not past that?

Now I am, I spent an inordinate time playing "easy" missions against low level Grineer to get a hang of the game. I lucked out today and got a bunch of Void Fissure missions with level 8-11 enemies and got to MR 2 easily while leveling up all the weapons I use several times over, including my Frame.

Go through a bunch of weapons and you should be able to get at least a few MRs under your belt easily enough.

I've been using the forge very sparingly, my mistake. All the blueprints I could buy or found were either S#&$ I didn't want to or Mastery Locked AND I spent most of my credits tanking up my Frame. And oh, and I never had the proper components for anything even if i had the credits.  I have a gigantic storage of Ferrite and Rubido and not much else >:[ That's soon in the past though now that I'm shooting up up Corpus SPACE MEN, those box headed toilethats, in Venus so I can get to Mercury. 

Mind, I'm not saying MR progression > everything else, but there are a plethora of gameplay benefits from raising your MR
(gaining access to more equipment, unlocking trading / Syndicates, more daily trades / Standing, free Loadout slots, and whatnot).

Try to get / rank up base damage, Multishot, and elemental Mods (BTW learn what damage types are effective against what),
also Melee is more than just a fallback for when you run out of ammo, it's stupid strong with a minimum of Mod investment.

From the mod drops I've received this far it appears I have to buy the useful damage mods but first I have to get to missions where I can farm money. I have, like, 4 rifle mods that are somehow remotely usable and my Serration is flawed so ranking it stopped at level 3. 

And yes Melee is poweérfuailé. If something like 6 Corrupted Corpus charge me in a corridor I'm certainly not trying to frag them with my peashooter Braton (it's ok for shooting up regular targets from range though) and will whip out my Skana. I've finished some Void Fissure missions using it almost exclusively.  Hooray for melee.

3 hours ago, Zengur said:

Mastery Rank 1

Hm, you're still not past that?

Go through a bunch of weapons and you should be able to get at least a few MRs under your belt easily enough.

Mind, I'm not saying MR progression > everything else, but there are a plethora of gameplay benefits from raising your MR
(gaining access to more equipment, unlocking trading / Syndicates, more daily trades / Standing, free Loadout slots, and whatnot).

3 hours ago, Zengur said:

my damage output is feeble

Try to get / rank up base damage, Multishot, and elemental Mods (BTW learn what damage types are effective against what),
also Melee is more than just a fallback for when you run out of ammo, it's stupid strong with a minimum of Mod investment.

Archived