Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Design-A-Weapon Contest - Would You Participate? (Poll)

Krotalon

Hi, fellow Tenno.

This is sort of a poll; Lately, I was storming Warframe existing content in order to create some new weapons. I was wondering if people around here are kind of interested in a contest in which we have to submit a weapon's design.

Sometimes it can be useful for a developer to pick ideas from the crowd, especially when it's free.

With "Concept" I mean both textual and graphical expressions.

Textual = No strictly specific statistics; maybe how the weapon works; lore information highly appreciated.

Graphical = Any kind. Handmade, Photoshop, 3D and so on. Can be all of them, can be just one.

Winner selected by developers.

So...

TL;DR -- Would you participate in a hypothetical Design-A-Weapon contest?

Krotalon out.

LtwcSg4.png

Edited by Krotalon

Meh. Feels to me like there's pretty much one of everything so far. Would like to see new content other than weapons anyway...

Sure, I completely agree that things other than weapons are needed; but we're still far from having "pretty much one of everything". Think about the Napalm's weapon, we don't own it yet. How about plasma shotguns? Or a classic grenade launcher? There are also many melee weapons we don't have in the Warframe universe, can't just name them all.

LtwcSg4.png

Edited by Krotalon

I would like to, but the only problem if that there are various avenues for design. The inclusion of digital arts however is more widely accepted nowadays (from what I've seen entering into contests), making some forms of other art like painting, and drawing, a little more cumbersome in some cases. Though it is better to have the physical idea drawn onto paper, in your distinct strokes. Both are still very appreciated, but it's the skill and medium in which it is presented. Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind some contest just for fun, only thing is, could you set your own statistics for your weapon?

These weapons are meant to add more variety to the gameplay, as variety is good.

Variable Focus Particle Dispersion Gun "Tarsa"

Faction: Corpus

Function: A unique spread weapon that when fired while not focused, will unleash a short-range blast of superheated charged particles, but when focused (that's charged), will fire a concentrated medium-range blast of charged particles in a beam-like fashion for more concentrated damage on target. The charged shot provides the same amount of damage, just in a concentrated form. Uses shotgun ammo, deals plasma damage. (Plasma damage deals additional damage to infested targets)

How it works: The Tarsa agitates particles to extreme levels of heat and activity in a small compressed chamber within the weapon, adding a charge in the process to create plasma, and unleashes them in short blasts. The chamber can be redirected to another more focused firing channel and accumulate within the firing channel until released, resulting in a more beam-like blast with greater range.

Backstory: The Corpus were getting overrun by Grineer marines in the Phobos uprising, so the Tarsa was developed to combat the Grineer where they typically dominate, in closed corridors.

Electrical Transference Rifle "Arka"

Faction: Corpus

Function: Chain lightning weapon that can charge up to fire a concentrated ball lightning which penetrates foes. Charging does not increase damage, but changes how it is delivered. The ball lightning will penetrate multiple foes and dissipate in charge. Deals fire and electrical damage at the same time due to flash burns. Incredibly accurate and long-range. Uses sniper ammo. (Deals electrical damage)

How it works: The Arka ionizes the air with a preliminary directed energy beam to guide the lightning to its target, expelled through rapid-charge capacitors and an arc generator. Corpus power cells can rapidly charge the weapon after expulsion. The secondary mode creates 'ball lightning' that is condensed into a weaponized format, launched along the same pathway the original lightning arc takes.

Backstory: The Arka was developed on Mars as a means of long-range crowd engagements vs. Grineer marines, but has yet to make it to the front lines for production purposes due to its still-experimental nature.

Multi-shot Grenade Launcher "Hydra"

Faction: Grineer

Function: Essentially a short-range multi-shot grenade launcher (That means semi-auto, not multiple grenades at once). Long reload time, but excellent crowd control. Grenades explode after time expires or upon contact with target. Not a shotgun, but draws from the shotgun ammo pool.

Backstory: The Grineer needed more bang to destroy structures, so they made the Hydra.

gNgAIjP.jpg

Single Shot Magnetic Grenade Launcher "Lamia"

Function: A breech-loaded grenade launcher with a remote detonator and magnetic grenades. As a sidearm, it should draw from the 'heavy sidearm' category of ammunition (heavy sidearm pool is 90 rounds) and deal fairly high damage. The special function of the Lamia is that it draws shrapnel from the environment as it flies, collecting lethal metal fragments that surround the grenade and detonate on command, launching the lethal white-hot fragments in all directions in addition to its original explosive payload. Time undetonated equates to more damage.

Backstory: The Lamia was developed by Colonial Raiders on newer settlements to deal with obstructions and pesky wildlife, but was quickly adopted by the Grineer marines and integrated into their ever-expanding arsenal of cruel weaponry.

3IWGMl1.jpg

Concealable Bola Launcher "Python"

Function: A scaled-down bola launcher that acts as a cutting tool that can disable targets for a short period of time. The Python was originally meant as a trapping weapon for use by bounty hunters within the Grineer empire to track down wayward genetic aberrations that would otherwise disrupt the cloning process and purity. The bolas deal serrated blade damage and knock down targets if aimed at the legs. If aimed at the torso, it will prevent the target from firing back, but deals little damage on its own. The customized variant that the Tenno have acquired has an explosive aftertaste to it...

Yeah, I would, if there was one.

I wouldn't mind some contest just for fun, only thing is, could you set your own statistics for your weapon?

I just felt like the best option was to give that decision to the developers. (:

Everything's hypothetical, though.

Yeah, I would, if there was one.

Those concepts of yours are excellent ideas.

LtwcSg4.png

Edited by Krotalon

Sure would!

1axu.jpg

Slough

This disturbing Infested weapon is alive, and capable of consuming biomass in the field to grow more powerful.

It starts as a dagger, but as you kill enemies it's function changes. When an enemy is slain it dissolves and it's constituent particles are drawn into the weapon. When enough biomass is gathered it catalyzes and the weapon grows larger and more powerful. If it goes too long without 'feeding' it's excess biomass will die and fall off.

0 kills: It functions as a slow and powerful dagger.

5 kills: The Slough becomes a longsword. When performing a charge attack it deals heavy toxin damage and reverts back to it's dagger form.

15 kills: The Slough becomes a greatsword. It's charge attack holds the sword high over your head (He-man pose :P) and then strikes it against the ground, creating a chemical explosion that knocks down enemies. After the explosion it reverts to dagger form.

I hate to say it but the Design Council usually handles this kind of action. There is enough content in the development pipes that even if the ideas that are generated here are "good/unique" it will not happen for a decent amount of time. DE seems to like to have a fair amount of control of what is going into Warframe. Just thought I should point this out.

Rapid fire grineer roller launcher.

Yes....and make the roller projectiles like slimes...when you kill one it just splits into smaller rollers.....oh man....the PvP horror stories that would come from such an abomination......