Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stop releasing content only claimable through the Twitch Platform.

Dazubo

Stop releasing content I need to sign up for Twitch with to claim. Not everyone lives in a country where Twitch is available. At the very least, create an alternative method to obtain the content. The game should not be withholding content from me because of where I happen to live.

If you have the money to throw on Twitch for a cosmetic, then you have the money to throw on a VPN so that you can look like you are playing in Canada or in, I don't know, San Marino. Consider it part of the price.

Also, as for the "cosmetics are content" implications of this thread... what can I say. DE gets money out of us by using FOMO and completionism and silly hats. It doesn't work on me, but it obviously works on you, so who am I to say it's not content.

54 minutes ago, ShichiseitenYasha said:

There is no content behind twitch, only cosmetic items and/or primes that are temporarily unavailable due to vaulting. 

Cosmetics are still content though

I can understand for Prime Accessories (which are one way for DE to make money), but Twitch... just gives Jeff some sweet money, that's probably not as profitable as putting the cosmetics ingame where you actually "force" players to log in and, well, play your #*!%ing game.

18 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Not...really?

Gameplay is content. Anybody who hates the gameplay and is only here for cosmetics should really find a game they actually have fun playing.

Cosmetics are content of the game itself, just as textures, sounds, and every single line of code behind the game, yes. Have we gone that far that you only play Warframe for gameplay reasons ? Like, if Warframe was exactly as it is but no skin, no texture, no background, no sound, no music, you'd play it ?

22 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Have we gone that far that you only play Warframe for gameplay reasons ? Like, if Warframe was exactly as it is but no skin, no texture, no background, no sound, no music, you'd play it ?

That's a very reductive argument. In fact, it's called reductio ad absurdum. I stand by what I said. If you only play this game for the cosmetics, you're not really enjoying this game and just making up excuses for yourself to not quit.

If you want to do something just for cosmetics, there are services out there like... IMVU. Or whatever it is people are into nowadays.

I play games to game.

18 minutes ago, (XB1)TyeGoo said:

Then explain to me how DE made so much money exclusively through cosmetics that they even decided to only release cosmetics for 2 years straight throughout the games cycle

Impulse buying is very easy to prey on for money. It takes a lot less effort than actual compelling gameplay.

Also, there's a reason that those years were described as a content drought. Because there was no content.

1 hour ago, DrakeWurrum said:

That's a very reductive argument. In fact, it's called reductio ad absurdum. I stand by what I said. If you only play this game for the cosmetics, you're not really enjoying this game and just making up excuses for yourself to not quit.

If you want to do something just for cosmetics, there are services out there like... IMVU. Or whatever it is people are into nowadays.

Cosmetics are an entire part of the game. Just as weapons, Warframes, mission types or Planets. Nobody would be playing Warframe if it lacked any texture or name or whatever. Just as nobody would be playing without any gameplay.

Even if you don't enjoy Credits, they're also "content" of the movie/serie you've been watching. We all know nobody in their right mind would watch a movie solely for that, but they're part of it.

Both gameplay and cosmetics are "content". Because both are contained within the game. I don't know really... Pretty sure you're trolling or whatever so I'll just ignore. :highfive:

5 hours ago, Dhrekr said:

If you have the money to throw on Twitch for a cosmetic, then you have the money to throw on a VPN so that you can look like you are playing in Canada or in, I don't know, San Marino. Consider it part of the price.

Also, as for the "cosmetics are content" implications of this thread... what can I say. DE gets money out of us by using FOMO and completionism and silly hats. It doesn't work on me, but it obviously works on you, so who am I to say it's not content.

I don't care that much about cosmetics, and I didn't mention anything about cosmetics in the OP. It's a shame if I can't get them, but I don't need them for game mechanics. So I think it is somewhat premature to conclude that I am a steadfast completionist or a fanatical purveyor of silly hats. I also do not understand why you have elected to establish a framework of morality for spending for me, when I did not once mention cost being an issue in the OP. That being said, this contributes to my original point, because there will be others in the same situation as me who do care a significant amount more about cosmetics, and I would not consider their concerns trivial.

Recently I found the Athodai in my inventory, I don't remember ever getting it. Then I learnt from reading online that the weapon was a reward for Twitch viewership during TennoCon 2020, but everyone was rewarded it later on due to some technical problems. In other words, if it had been working as intended, I would not have been able to obtain that weapon. That was the impetus for me to create this post.

There are multiple other weapons such as the Glaxion Vandal that are selected randomly as rewards for some Twitch stream rewards in case you missed their debut event/window. For reasons that are evident, I have never been able to take advantage of this, and I do not think it is a morally healthy decision to unilaterally use Twitch when in this instance, the possibility of reward is beyond the player's control. These drops also sometimes happen only during livestreams, which are usually awkward for anyone outside of the US/EU timezones.

I have actually tried multiple VPNs that work when web surfing but not for Warframe. Any attempt to log in to the game when the VPN is active forcefully disconnects me from the game's servers. So it's not to say that I haven't already tried taking this issue into my own hands already.

In conclusion I am claiming there is not enough consideration for players who cannot access Twitch. I am not claiming they should not use Twitch. I am suggesting that they should have a mirror path to obtain any Twitch-related content. Perhaps this mirror source can be delayed by 1 month to prevent deincentivising the actual Twitch streams. It would be a more encompassing solution overall.

13 minutes ago, Dazubo said:

I have actually tried multiple VPNs that work when web surfing but not for Warframe. Any attempt to log in to the game when the VPN is active forcefully disconnects me from the game's servers. So it's not to say that I haven't already tried taking this issue into my own hands already.

Ah, well, that's where the mistake is. You do not need to use Warframe through VPN for this.

You need to access Twitch through VPN. So go out, take a VPN, type "twitch.tv" in a browser, watch a Warframe stream for half an hour or whatever, and the content will be delivered to you.

And that is the solution to all of these problems. Don't forget to link your Twitch and Warframe accounts (an operation for which, I'll stress, you do not need to use Warframe through a VPN either).

You are welcome.

8 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

You do not need to use Warframe through VPN for this.

You need to access Twitch through VPN. So go out, take a VPN, type "twitch.tv" in a browser, watch a Warframe stream for half an hour, and the content will be delivered to you.

And that is the solution to all of these problems.

You are welcome.

Respectfully, your statement is not a solution to any of the problems I described. My statement is not a criticism of your response. It is a criticism of your ideology. It is a makeshift workaround where the player still has to operate around the developer's decisions to primarily cater to a US/EU demographic rather than a global audience. In my opinion, a solution is a change that caters to the player, not the other way around. Maybe you will disagree with me here.

Even if I could access Twitch, it would not address the awkward livestream times, because this would be an impossible problem to solve for a global audience. It does not address the problem of the player being forced to use a proxy service at their own expense (both time & money). For me personally, I live in China where censorship policies are extremely aggressive, and finding a VPN that works consistently is virtually impossible. You might say that is is not DE's responsibility to deal with these types of issues because they did not create them. I claim that it is DE's responsibility to find a way to cater to their product to all their customers needs, which are irregular and dynamic. Maybe you will disagree with me here again.

For the purpose of exposition, I decided to execute your suggestion - because being able to access Twitch in a convoluted manner would be preferable to not being able to access it at all. I was able to access twitch.tv, but I received the same old "we do not currently offer Prime Gaming in your region/country" message when I tried to claim a free trial for Prime Gaming. So for me at least, even the workaround doesn't work. 

29 minutes ago, Dazubo said:

I was able to access twitch.tv, but I received the same old "we do not currently offer Prime Gaming in your region/country" message when I tried to claim a free trial for Prime Gaming. So for me at least, even the workaround doesn't work. 

Oh my goodness you will really not take a solution, will you?

You do NOT need Prime Gaming. Twitch Prime is for cosmetics, which you have said don't interest you.

You ONLY need NORMAL Twitch. Just watch devstream on twitch.tv with a free account.

Or don't. I told you how to do it. If you prefer not to get the "Twitch-exclusive" content because being right is more important to you than listening to people, be my guest.

It is a makeshift workaround where the player still has to operate around the developer's decisions to primarily cater to a US/EU demographic rather than a global audience. In my opinion, a solution is a change that caters to the player, not the other way around. Maybe you will disagree with me here.

The point of Twitch is that DE lures us in with the promise of sweet free stuff, and in exchange we boost the viewing numbers of DE. And Warframe becomes trending on Twitch. And maybe non-Warframe players will think "oh what's this game that's trending, that's a lot of people watching, maybe I'll tune in, maybe I'll play".

So no: Twitch promotions are not to cater to us. They are literally made so that DE can grofit. Our own grofit is accidental. It is the price that DE pays for their grofit.

It is a criticism of your ideology

Oh come on this is just ridiculous. "My ideology". I am explaining why DE does this.

I am not espousing DE's ideology. I am not agreeing with DE. This is not my ideology. But, unlike you, I understand it why they are doing what they are doing, even though I disagree.

But we live in ridiculous times where someone explaining a behaviour and someone defending a behaviour are the apparently, to some people, the same.

2 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

Oh my goodness you will really not take a solution, will you?

You do NOT need Prime Gaming. Twitch Prime is for cosmetics, which you have said don't interest you.

You ONLY need NORMAL Twitch. Just watch devstream on twitch.tv with a free account.

Or don't. I told you how to do it. If you prefer not to get the "Twitch-exclusive" content because being right is more important to you than listening to people, be my guest.

The point of Twitch is that DE lures us in with the promise of sweet free stuff, and in exchange we boost the viewing numbers of DE. And Warframe becomes trending on Twitch. And maybe non-Warframe players will think "oh what's this game that's trending, that's a lot of people watching, maybe I'll tune in, maybe I'll play".

So no: Twitch promotions are not to cater to us. They are literally made so that DE can grofit. Our own grofit is accidental. It is the price that DE pays for their grofit.

Oh come on this is just ridiculous. "My ideology". I am explaining why DE does this.

I am not espousing DE's ideology. I am not agreeing with DE. This is not my ideology. But, unlike you, I understand it.

But we live in ridiculous times where someone explaining a behaviour and someone defending a behaviour are the same.

Hey, calm down. Man's been on twitch for the 3rd time in his life and you're getting pissed off because man don't know how twitch works. I will posit that if you want to teach someone something, being understanding is probably a good quality to have. Now that you have made a clear distinction, I know for the future that Prime Gaming and 'normal' twitch are distinct entities. I didn't know until just now that twitch was a free service. I will take your advice and watch devstream come next announcement, assuming my VPN is still working. Although don't forget that the original issue I had was that I shouldn't have to be on twitch in the first place to receive weapons/Prime sets.

I did not claim that you were espousing DE's ideology. I also did not claim you were agreeing with DE. I said I had a criticism of your ideology. Because it is your ideology. Your very replies are a function of your personal framework of values which you use to perceive and navigate the world. You say that you understand DE's intentions, but what you mean is you claim to understand DE's intentions. I am not exempt from this either. Are you a god? Why should I believe you? Why should you believe me? Maybe you are correct, how would I know? How would you know? Isn't this why we're having a discussion? Or were all your notions preconceived and your intention was to propagate rather than interface? That would dangerously presumptive. I don't have any presuppositions about you because I know virtually nothing about you, and therefore I must act as such. Or at least, that's what I believe. But you can believe what you want. If you couldn't, you wouldn't be here.

8 hours ago, Dazubo said:

Recently I found the Athodai in my inventory, I don't remember ever getting it. Then I learnt from reading online that the weapon was a reward for Twitch viewership during TennoCon 2020, but everyone was rewarded it later on due to some technical problems. In other words, if it had been working as intended, I would not have been able to obtain that weapon. That was the impetus for me to create this post.

thats funny cause i didn't get it so i don't think they gave it to everyone 

I see a lot of talk about cosmetic drops but what about Athodai? Thats not available through playing is it? 

I believe theyve also given out warframes that come with a free slot if Im not mistaken. 

I always hated twitch drops too because I just couldnt get them to work dispite trying multiple times, and I never use/watch twitch anyway.

I personally think, that all Twitch cosmetics should be on sale from Baro half a year after their release. This would give Twitch users their "timed exclusivity", while everybody else could have them later as well. They can keep the free frames Twitch exclusive imo, as players can get them ingame as well (or trade for the vaulted ones), but stuff like Syndanas, Ephemeras, skins and colour palettes should be available for everyone at some point. They did this with the Ignis Wraith and other weapons sometime later after their special event had ended, so why not  with the Twitch stuff as well?

8 hours ago, Gildarts_bb said:

thats funny cause i didn't get it so i don't think they gave it to everyone 

If you didn't log in to the game on that day, that's why. The script to 'fix' it went through players that day. It will eventually show up somewhere else though. Probably Baro.

21 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Not...really?

Gameplay is content. Anybody who hates the gameplay and is only here for cosmetics should really find a game they actually have fun playing.

Warframe community needs to stop acting like the definition of 'content' is ONLY playable missions and quests. Sure, cosmetics aren't PLAYABLE content, but they ARE content. Twitch Prime cosmetics is content locked behind having to give Twitch and Jeff Bezos money. Just because the warframe community has decided to start using "content" as shorthand for ONLY playable content does not mean that is the actual correct definition. 

And if you act like cosmetics aren't a huge part of games, you're either delusional or just being a contrarian. Just because you claim you don't care if every character looked like a gray faceless silhouette does not suddenly mean that making your character or car or house or WHATEVER look aesthetically pleasing isn't a huge appeal for the majority of people. And that people's desire to look cool can't be exploited just because you think it personally doesn't affect you (even though it still does).

On 2020-09-09 at 10:07 AM, (XB1)Kuhl MC said:

I personally think, that all Twitch cosmetics should be on sale from Baro half a year after their release. This would give Twitch users their "timed exclusivity", while everybody else could have them later as well. They can keep the free frames Twitch exclusive imo, as players can get them ingame as well (or trade for the vaulted ones), but stuff like Syndanas, Ephemeras, skins and colour palettes should be available for everyone at some point. They did this with the Ignis Wraith and other weapons sometime later after their special event had ended, so why not  with the Twitch stuff as well?

Baro having the item would be better than Baro not having the item, but not by much. Since the rotations are so inconsistent, you might have to wait 3-6 months for the item you're looking for, assuming you don't miss a single Baro. Then it becomes dangerously philosophical.

I don't like the twitch rewards because I don't use twitch, I've watched like two or three streams on any platform ever, and stapling a reward to it still isn't making me watch. If it's really something I want, like say the pistol they put out (haven't even used it yet), then I just put it on when I go to work or something. I would prefer to not play their little marketing game at all.

Archived