5 hours ago, (PS4)DoctorWho_90250 said:

street fighter GIF

I know how you feel. Wanted to name my Railjack, "The Master's Tardis" but since Tardis is not allowed, I went with "The Master's T.A.R.D.I.S."

It's 2020, computers are too slow to employ chat filters that have access to large dictionaries of words, acronyms, and popular culture references with intelligent spell checking capabilities (in case innocent users misspell words) and natural language processing tools to analyze content and context of strings and sentences. Instead, let's do the New Jersey approach... less is more right? Solve 90% of the problem with regex... scan for words inside of words across multiple languages... even if this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for the majority of players who are not the idiots that the 90% solution deals with.

EDIT: The New Jersey approach is a reference to an essay The Rise of Worse is Better about bad software design. I didn't coin the term, it's not meant to offend anyone. It is meant to demonstrate poor chat filter design that should have never filtered "Tardis" which is from a foreign television Sci-Fi show that I don't know anything about except for that famous British telephone booth. How can it be that I know about Tardis having never seen Dr. Who but not this dumb chat filter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worse_is_better

Edited by nslay
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Ailia_Grimm said:

They already said "sh/t" more than once during devstreams & no one said anything

I remember Pablo said f/uck on stream and got an earful for it? Pretty sure they try not to on devstreams, at least the main ones. Was talking about Protea i think and named her turret BFG? Been awhile so might be wrong.

You think that's bad, try naming a zaw after its major part.

It's ridiculous where we can slice people in two, melt their skin off with acid or set them on fire and watch them flail around trying to beat out the flames before they just collapse and accept their death because they're now too weak to resist... but a naughty word? OH NOES.

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

You think that's bad, try naming a zaw after its major part.

It's ridiculous where we can slice people in two, melt their skin off with acid or set them on fire and watch them flail around trying to beat out the flames before they just collapse and accept their death because they're now too weak to resist... but a naughty word? OH NOES.

It’s definitely ridiculous. Especially when it’s in a Game from a company that have ways to sell sex Wisp and Mesa Prime and have fun from killing enemies with Bloodshed and fashioning our Frame with Bloodshed too. 

• Like 3

We just had a post of someone that stops playing the game because the helminth calls him demon.. just go ahead and thank those people that the censorship is not only going to stay, but become even more sensitive.

Here's my take on naming equipment: I don't give a damn. I mostly don't even notice when people change names on pets or weapons, unless one single time, because someone named his pet corona xD and you know what messages pop up :D was a fun time. I remember it good, was kuva survival :D 

13 minutes ago, (XB1)TyeGoo said:

We just had a post of someone that stops playing the game because the helminth calls him demon.. just go ahead and thank those people that the censorship is not only going to stay, but become even more sensitive.

Here's my take on naming equipment: I don't give a damn. I mostly don't even notice when people change names on pets or weapons, unless one single time, because someone named his pet corona xD and you know what messages pop up :D was a fun time. I remember it good, was kuva survival :D 

huh, my helminth pet is named corona but dont recall doing kuva survival, and zaw named coronya (in my defense the characters or titles pre-exsisting the current world problem by atleast 10 years, not to mention a beer company with that name)

0 context censoreship is not going to get more players to stay, it's fine if someone get's offended about something harmless, and use a report button for an actuall human to check and either make an inquary or reset named equipment/user, and if severe, issue a warning, if harmless, leave as is.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Ceryk said:

It's a Standards and Practices thing that lets them say "Hey, we are doing our part to make this a decent community" in case anyone pulls stuff since a lot of parents don't care about ratings or sit around actively controlling their kid's content consumption. Plus there's a big difference between them saying a very mild swear word in a stream that the majority of players won't know exists let alone watch and letting people run rampant with what we shall call "pronographic language" in a public chat where underage players are likely to be and where even most people of appropriate age probably will find it offensive and/or annoying.

6 hours ago, stormy505 said:

I remember Pablo said f/uck on stream and got an earful for it? Pretty sure they try not to on devstreams, at least the main ones. Was talking about Protea i think and named her turret BFG? Been awhile so might be wrong.

& they're the ones who wanted to make a zero tolerance policy

• Like 1
7 hours ago, (PS4)ForNoPurpose said:

So strong language is "fu...functional, yes".

7 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Let's face it, they know most of the playerbase has heard all of the words and then some before, but the chat filter is there because DE wants to save money on moderators. Instead, they try to cut off certain types of discussion from even happening in game chat, especially region. Same with filters for naming. Stricter rules means players may chafe at the restrictions, but there is less likely to be a need for a human to ever be involved and cost them money in labor hours. 

maybe over-censoring is better imo...I have delved in the sc2 genral chat and it's a warzone there. Wishing to f your family with a rusty infected object from arsh to mouth is like a good morning there, nothing special.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I remember reading someone tried to name their Moa Piccassowary and it got censored. 

Too artistic for system to handle?

Speaking of which, this kills the joke idea of naming a weapon "Akuma Grakata"...

Edited by (PS4)Raven-Ghosthawk
  • Like 1

Personally, I don't understand why an M rated game needs a kindergarten level chat filter.

Is it a Canadian thing maybe? 

Also, if your trying to explain to someone in chat about how Cephalon Simaris captures work does mentioning Siphon Traps still get you banned?

• Like 1

Honestly I understand what they're facing. I helped to moderate an IRC chat a long time ago, we were pretty permissive but I managed a script for the language that the admins agreed was pushing the line. I had a lot of variants added to the list because just like in warframe, folks try all sorts of stuff to bypass the filters. And just like in warframe, nobody but me ever saw the complete list, because once you know what's on it, bypassing everything becomes trivial.

The few times the bot malfunctioned and people knew, it was a literal free-for-all and people would try to find ways to add profanity to even the most common phrases. So I can see the arguments against completely removing terms.

The difference is that I tried to be really careful about what I added so that common words and phrases wouldn't trigger the script, in a lot of cases that meant taking out wildcards and manually adding every single variant I could think of, and I didn't intentionally go out of my way to include anachronistic/meme terms that apply to a small group of English speakers which aren't common in my neck of the woods, or have commonly used non-offensive meanings in the English lexicon. For those we relied on human eyes and brains to spot and kick the users manually.

I think they should go through the list with a fine toothed comb, and remove most of the terms with wildcards, and really ask themselves whether a word really should be there in the first place, but that's just me.

• Like 3

I remember seeing this Kaggle competition a couple years ago:

https://www.kaggle.com/c/jigsaw-toxic-comment-classification-challenge/overview

It's a machine learning + natural language processing competition to classify "toxic comments."

Now, I'm not sure we actually need complicated deep learning models with thousands of hours of training, tuning and development to make the perfect generalizable chat filter... just that there is better and more generalizable approaches than regex out there right now.

I think use of dictionaries of words, acronyms, pop culture references as well as spell check capabilities... and maybe just maybe simple NLP features and learning machines like bag-of-words and boosting could generalize better for filtering offensive chat.

DE is a little weird with words that aren't english, i wanted to call my predasite the word black but in spanish... like my black dog in real life is called (i don't have any imagination), but it's a swear in english so f me

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Anandil2 said:

DE is a little weird with words that aren't english, i wanted to call my predasite the word black but in spanish... like my black dog in real life is called (i don't have any imagination), but it's a swear in english so f me

Knew some native Spanish speakers who called their dog "Black". Not the spanish equivalent, mind you, just "Black". 

hunestly, the weapon name filter, and chat filter should be seperated, Akuma is demon, Kuma is bear, you cant call a melee weapon with the balla strike as balla since it's profanity tied to balls, what happened to letting players report what is offensive? what is the use for the report button outside third party infringments/AFK?

i can say the words just fine here, why can't i in game? forum and game profanity should be identical, then when DE try to create patch notes and run into self chensoreship, they would understand how flawed it is.

Edited by BloodKitten
  • Like 3