Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PSA: Steam Input Changes

[DE]SpaceySarah

On 2020-10-12 at 1:38 AM, dandeloreon said:

Sounds good to me. Has DE taken a look at LibSDL recently ( see: https://www.libsdl.org/ ). libSDL Version 2.0 drastically simplified console controller support on windows by providing an input layer very similar to X-Input. A few of the Currently supported types are below....

• XBox 360 - I actually prefer this since I use an old wired Xbox 360 controller most of the time.
  • Xbox One
  • Playstation 3
  • Playstation 4
  • Nintendo Switch Controllers - Joycons, Pro Controllers, and some of the generics.

I should also mention that the LibSDL2 layer can be used to speed up the console support path by essentially having an abstraction layer on the PC that will simulate the console code used by either Xbox One, Playstation 4 or Nintendo Switch.

LibSDL2 was released updated (Version 2.0.14) to add support for PS5 DualSense Controller (minus Haptic Feedback and Adaptive Triggers) and Xbox Series X|S Controller Support while adding New Controller Functions (such as Motion Sensors, Back Button/Paddles, LED) and Raw Input Controller Driver for Windows.

Hopefully, it'll be easier to support Gyro Aiming Support to PC Games.

• 2 months later...
On 2020-09-14 at 2:46 PM, [DE]SpaceySarah said:

Hi Tenno!

Thank you for your understanding regarding the upcoming changes to the Steam Input layer. Having read your feedback and concerns, and looking further at the technical details involved in removing Steam Input support, we have decided to postpone (and depending on what we learn, cancel) plans to remove Steam Input support as we look into ways that we can better improve and optimize support for the entire controller ecosystem.

We will update this thread when these exact improvements are confirmed. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

After years of tweaks and changes I finally had gotten my configuration just to the way I need it. I know it says postponed, but I am begging you to cancel the removal of the feature. It would take a ton of work to get the same kind of functionality I have now with the basic level of Steam overlay support that works in other games. 

On 2020-12-25 at 12:07 PM, AlexCzar said:

I just want to thank devs for postponing/cancelling this and add my two cents of feedback.

For me Steam Input is the only way I can play Warframe. I cannot use a mouse due to a medical issue, controller is the only way I can play. Steam Input is the only configurator which works without any issues on Linux (which is my main OS) and allows for enough customizability to make Warframe playable. I have highly customized profile for myself which mixes gyro aiming keyboard and controller mappings to make playing warframe possible for me and even enjoyable (does take a bit of time though to figure out proper mappings when new stuff is added or when I unlock it, looking at arch/blink...).

I tried going with alternative solutions, nothing really works. If steam input is removed, I'll physically lose ability to play.

I have medical issues too, so my configuration is pretty important. I could always rebuild something like it using what other games have that don't support Steam Controller natively do, but it would be a massive undertaking. I spent a lot of time getting things "just right" for me. It's not anywhere near as neat and ideal as some might want it, but it does what I need it to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this is Rather confusing because the whole point of Steam Input is that It Hijacks the X Input Support and allows you to Customise it...

So when I read that they are discontinuing Steam Input Support it makes panic... But It still works sooooo all is good in the world...

On 2020-09-09 at 7:35 PM, NightmareT12 said:

I'd like to note there is currently an option that allows controller players to use Sprint once the stick has passed a certain threshhold through an outer deadzone -- I'd like to ask (as I have for a few years now) to try to implement through the game itself if possible, as it could ease the use of sprint for controller players 🙂

Ah Yes the "Outer Ring Binding"... This feature is AWESOME !!!

Should it be implemented in game ?

Well sure why not .. the main benefit would be that having it as an in game feature instead of a Binding would make navigating menus less clunky because there would no longer by a registered input in menu navigation.... It would only register in gameplay 😛...

On 2020-09-09 at 7:37 PM, Forcen said:

DE: As an owner of a Steam Controller you can still support steam controllers after doing this, all you have to do is make sure the game lets you use both controller and mouse/keyboard input at the same time. If you do this we can still do most things well. PLEASE do this (unless you already are doing this, if then keep it working)

Very Important !!! 😮

I mean in other games you might want it disabled but most games it's so important.... Especially for the new Flick Stick input Style which definitely is useful in Warframe.

On 2020-09-09 at 8:23 PM, Ghostcart said:

It's worth remembering that even without official support, steam input can still handle that sort of customization.

It even has an "Anti-Deadzone Buffer"... That's the level of flexibility we're talking about here 😃 !!!

On 2020-09-09 at 9:20 PM, Al-chan said:

We can still use Steam's Controller Configurator via Legacy Mode (aka, XInput), while still taking advantage of Gyro Aiming as I usually do in other games, it's just going require additional Action Sets to take account of other stuffs outside of Ninja/Operator mode.

I just started fiddling with Action Sets recently.... Yeah it can be extremely Finicky when doing different activities or when doing one Activity that requires flicking back and forth between different modes 😱 !!!

Action Layers are fun though !!! 👍

Archived