1 hour ago, (PS4)crashteddy03 said:

I'm using a similar spec laptop but with the internal GPU (urgh...) and I also had issues with loading PoE and OV. Creating a page file solved the issue, so do you have a page file configured?

With integrated card 8 GB is barely enough for open world (POE is smaller) but knowing that windows does "weird" stuffs from time to time you need some more. I am with page file as well and 8GB.

14 hours ago, (PS4)crashteddy03 said:

I'm using a similar spec laptop but with the internal GPU (urgh...) and I also had issues with loading PoE and OV. Creating a page file solved the issue, so do you have a page file configured?

don't think i've problem before because i already set mine at 4gB Pagefile from fresh install windows, i experiment before, deleting page file sometimes make your PC can't restart for some reason since windows XP (idk if microsoft fix it) i don't have problem loading them but i do tend to crash from time to time, especially Orb Vallis, maybe because maxed graphic?
don't know man, not tech savvy much to explain XD

I don't understand the "normal map" example. It looks like plastic molding... is this supposed to be a collection of textures for a normal map stuffed into an image? Otherwise, it looks like a plastic Grineer version of Europa confined to a small square.

1 hour ago, nslay said:

I don't understand the "normal map" example. It looks like plastic molding... is this supposed to be a collection of textures for a normal map stuffed into an image? Otherwise, it looks like a plastic Grineer version of Europa confined to a small square.

From the looks of it, the normal map provides the "depth" onto objects. For example, the bumps and crevices you often see on warframe skins. If I am not mistaken, they dictate how a surface should be shaded by nearby light. This can give any flat, 2D colored texture the illusion of it being 3D when it is placed on a normal map.

It is much better and much easier to use a normal map over just actually modelling the bumps and crevices because they take lower processing power to load in and out and are easier to make by the artist, while still maintaining relatively the same look. A disadvantage of using normal maps could the the appearences of false colors from multiple light sources overriding each other. 

If you are wondering, THAT particular normal map is the texture of the Grinner Galleon you see in railjack missions and outside the orbiter.

Edited by Aadi880
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Aadi880 said:

From the looks of it, the normal map provides the "depth" onto objects. For example, the bumps and crevices you often see on warframe skins. If I am not mistaken, they dictate how a surface should be shaded by nearby light. This can give any flat, 2D colored texture the illusion of it being 3D when it is placed on a normal map.

It is much better and much easier to use a normal map over just actually modelling the bumps and crevices because they take lower processing power to load in and out and are easier to make by the artist, while still maintaining relatively the same look. A disadvantage of using normal maps could the the appearences of false colors from multiple light sources overriding each other. 

If you are wondering, THAT particular normal map is the texture of the Grinner Galleon you see in railjack missions and outside the orbiter.

I could see it being a depth map for the textures themselves. It sure doesn't look like a depth map of a normal map either. It looks like a collection of Grineer objects. By "normal map", I understood that to mean either the textures of Grineer Galleon or one of the tiles that can appear in a Grineer Galleon map (the actual game map we play on).  Maybe that's my source of confusion...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, nslay said:

I could see it being a depth map for the textures themselves. It sure doesn't look like a depth map of a normal map either. It looks like a collection of Grineer objects. By "normal map", I understood that to mean either the textures of Grineer Galleon or one of the tiles that can appear in a Grineer Galleon map (the actual game map we play on).  Maybe that's my source of confusion...

Its probably because of how the evolution engine does textures on models, I think.

I have messed about in Tennogen some time ago. When I opened the Titania Default Helmet, it indeed did looked like a "collection" of  parts (Her 2 ears were separate from the main head), while also looking like plastic molding.

The colors were saved/mapped onto a DIFFERENT file. My guess is that the engine lays them over and then puts them onto the model. How it does it, though, I'm not really sure.

It does look like to be the Galleon itself, as I can see the two, I think.... wings (??? idk, grinner design looks like insects to me???). But I do recognise the underside of the galleon on the bottom right had corner.

Maybe I should spend more time looking at walls. :-/ 

• Like 1