Tencent apparently bought out Leyou

Chinese companies have a reputation of not touching anything that they buy. You should be happy DE isn't owned by a Japanese company. Or even an American company. We can say goodbye to everything that makes warframe fun and have it turn into a Disney political agenda.

• Like 1
On 2020-09-13 at 8:24 PM, Felsagger said:

Scientifically speaking that is correct. 

But in this world actions speaks louder than words. We need evidence and time so we see what Tencent provides to the table. I'm not going to point fingers yet but I'll be very vigilant how things develops. 

Path of Exile and League of Legends are still doing well for themselves and they're both owned by Tencent.

I'm pretty sure we'll be fine. :P

• Like 1

Tencent will likely not change anything in Warframe's day-to-day.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I do find it concerning that a massive international Chinese holding company is working its way(sometimes very intrusively) into so many PCs worldwide. China's government's ideals(or lack thereof) are scary. There are many supporting examples but for two of them look into China's prison system and recently implemented Social Credit System. Large corporations like Tencent often have a say in the country's legislation.

Internationally, Tencent:

Owns 40% of Epic Games (Fortnite)

Owns majority shares in Riot Games (League of Legends, Valorant)

Is very likely to soon be a vast majority shareholder of Digital Extremes (Warframe)

Owns majority shares in Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile)

Discord is not openly traded but has received an undisclosed amount of investment from Tencent as part of its total received $158 million in 2019.

Many popular anticheat solutions for high-profile pvp games(especially LoL and Valorant) are 3rd party installations which operate with kernel-level permissions in a user's PC with the express intention of monitoring all running processes. This is as intrusive as any software can possibly get. The permissions this software has are completely unrestricted. In an extreme case, malware in such a position can do anything it pleases without user knowledge.

People trying to downplay the importance of all this have no reason to. International Chinese influence deserves to be watched carefully and with skepticism. The U.S.A. is guilty of many of its own privacy violations but is significantly better at promoting personal freedom and intrinsic human rights worldwide. Perhaps I'm blind to my own prejudices but I try very hard to stay objective.

1 hour ago, Pizzarugi said:

Path of Exile and League of Legends are still doing well for themselves and they're both owned by Tencent.

I'm pretty sure we'll be fine. :P

One thing is for sure, DE must refine their delivery listening to the community on the QoL aspects of the game. DE decides their own fate with their own performance. 

On 2020-09-14 at 1:22 AM, Loza03 said:

Fortunately, this is a non-issue, even if Tencent does buyout.

You see, whilst Tencent itself has encouraged subsidiary companies to push data collection, they can't do so in ways that are illegal. And DE is a Canadian company, so they'd be working by Canadian law, whether Tencent likes it or not. And as it turns out? Canadian data protection is extremely rock-solid when it comes to personal data, which even includes your opinions and social situation. Companies must acquire meaningful consent to gather the data (which depends on what data their gathering for what reason), have a legitimate reason to do so (i.e. they can't just gather it to sell), and have to delete it if they don't get separate consent to keep it.

If they want to scoop up your personal opinions to ship off to the CCP, then even if they can get doing so past Canadian data protection  they have to get you to say yes, and they can't put it in the Terms of Service either, it has to be an up-front message informing you what it is your data is used for.

except china can and does whatever the heck it wants, tencent have zero say when ordered to hand over data for whatever reason, they like all chinese company's just obey.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fiye said:

Many popular anticheat solutions for high-profile pvp games(especially LoL and Valorant) are 3rd party installations which operate with kernel-level permissions in a user's PC with the express intention of monitoring all running processes.

Dude, just uninstall.

But can you uninstall US occupation forces in Iraq ans Syria?

6 minutes ago, Methanoid said:

except china can and does whatever the heck it wants, tencent have zero say when ordered to hand over data for whatever reason, they like all chinese company's just obey.

Oh sure, Tencent would hand over the data.

My point is they can't get the Data in the first place. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 32768 said:

Dude, just uninstall.

But can you uninstall US occupation forces in Iraq ans Syria?

I don't think you understand. If you click "yes" and install kernel-level permission software and find out after a minute or so that the software you downloaded was malware then you are completely at the mercy of how well-designed the malware was. Short of reinstalling the OS and maybe replacing the motherboard or other components it is very difficult to be completely rid of something like that. I'm not saying that LoL or Valorant's anticheat is malware (though it certainly is spyware) but giving ANY 3rd party software those kinds of permissions on your PC is never a good idea. The fact that it was made by a massive Chinese company is really just a secondary reason.

6 hours ago, fiye said:

I don't think you understand. If you click "yes" and install kernel-level permission software and find out after a minute or so that the software you downloaded was malware then you are completely at the mercy of how well-designed the malware was. Short of reinstalling the OS and maybe replacing the motherboard or other components it is very difficult to be completely rid of something like that. I'm not saying that LoL or Valorant's anticheat is malware (though it certainly is spyware) but giving ANY 3rd party software those kinds of permissions on your PC is never a good idea. The fact that it was made by a massive Chinese company is really just a secondary reason.

Well, yes, it is spyware. When you're playing a game, it spies on what else do you do on your PC at the same time. That's the entire point. This is why it need kernel-level permissions, to check that you don't hack on drivers-level or with superuser permissions. If you run your cheats as superuser it will require superuser permissions too.

The only way around this is to deny superuser permissions to youself. Like on consoles, you can't run custom code and if you root your console you'll simply get banned, so where is no need to install third-party software with kernel-level permissions.

Just uninstall. Replace your motherboard too, and it won't hurt to wash your hands. Maybe buy Playstation, i don't know.

Unfortunately this is another chinese company. So literally the best thing that can happen is "nothing". Being owned by a chinese company can only bring this game in a downward spiral far as direction goes. So let's hope DE and Warframe is small enough for Tencent to completely overlook.

On 2020-09-13 at 1:48 AM, (PS4)DEAD_LOCK55 said:

So is anything going to happen?

In short-term probably nothing.

However, no-one buys anything without expecting to get something in return. They are looking to make a profit. Profit from.... you and me. 

I'd speculate that naming conventions regarding 'free -certain city-' '-certain people- in -certain province- in -certain country' and whatever future will hold will become hate speech.  (Hopefully I'm overly paranoid about this.) 

On 2020-09-14 at 4:25 AM, Tesseract7777 said:

I was witness to the EXACT same hysteria back when the Leyou deal was first announced. Literally none of the doom prophesies came true. 

Some people just freak out when they hear "China". A lot of people see them as a literal enemy. 

It's not a matter of China / communism / omg the red threat is coming ; it's a matter of I've played multiple games and mmos in my life which have successively been bought by Tencent and got ruined due to said company's greed up to the point I decided to drop them .

It is only natural for the people to be somewhat concerned in this case as Tencent is a great synonym of pay to win , rng , gambling , absurd grind , poor mainteinance and investment on its games ( keep on milking your customers while at the same time adding nothing significantly good to your product ) . 

In any case...it is still way too soon to know whether them purchasing Leyou will actually have an impact on Warframe itself or not . So , keep an eye open but do not panic already .