Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do you dislike Protea's temporal anchor?

(PSN)Hopper_Orouk

1 hour ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

I mean, it's not OP but it's definitely got utility, more than what you ask for.

It's too Niche.... 

She doesn't need it for anything other than going back to where she Started.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Well for starters it makes me feel safe spraying kuva kohm's bullets without worrying about ammo efficiency

That's what the Dispenser is for.... And it costs alot less Energy Too.

2 hours ago, HoustonDragon said:

More PoP: Sands of Time style for a "OH CRAP" rewind ability.

Yeah, it being like this would be much better frankly. As it is currently, it's the only thing in gaming that has ever given me proper motion sickness.

Frankly, an augment that made the ability ignore our Power Duration, limited it to a constant 10 second button hold max (or lower if you release the button) and reduced the animation speed to 0.25x could be the answer to this. People who like it as is can use it as is and people like us get the salvation of the Prine of Persia-like ability.

I rarely use it, that's all. 

Her 3 gives me all the ammo energy and healing I need, her 1 let's me protect myself from 1 shots, her 2 have very potent ad clear. The only reason I would use her 4 is to have a backup in case of death i suppose?

Given that I can use mausolon as my primary with her, bunching enemies up or blinding them gives me more survivability and makes it easier for me to wipe mobs out with her 2.

I use it frequently, but I do think it could use a more uniqueness to what it provides since much of that is already available in her kit that the cost could be spent on instead. Maybe a buff that gets stronger the longer you have it activated before rewind.

Also, I'd rather they just skip rewind animation and just teleport me back to the anchor point. I don't typically get motion sickness, but man...

I find that I just don't use it as I first of all don't want to go backwards ever. Second there's no real reason to retreat as I've already killed everything by the time the rewind happens. I have a friend that says he likes it, but I've noticed that he never plays Protea.....hmm

It doesn't serve a function, and was the main hype in her storyline.

Protea is billed as the Time Warframe, and her story quest centers around her messing with your timeline. On the flipside, in practice, it's really just a way to refill your ammo and energy while dealing a pretty underwhelming AOE, and it forces you to stop playing for a few seconds.

Let me repeat that. Temporal Anchor actively prevents you from playing the game for a few seconds.

As for its function: Dispensary does it far better. While TA can be used a decent panic button, it's far easier to just CC with your two main damage abilities and heal up with your two defensive abilities. TA is almost completely redundant, and your reward for using it is the ability to spam abilities and making a decent "pop" when it ends? ...I really don't get what niche this fills. If you want massive damage in a single spot, tap Grenade Fan. If you need to heal up, cast Dispensary. If you need to recover in a firefight, hold Grenade Fan.

How do we fix it? ...Uh, well, the core concept of the ability, rewind time, is flawed. Volt already simulates slowing down time by speeding you up dramatically. So how exactly do you emulate reversing time? You don't. Furthermore, I really don't see how it fits into her kit. The rest of it involves throwing something, but the last one is "you do stuff then revert to where you were." Maybe make it so you don't do the pointless rewind animation and just revert back to where you started. Even then, that might be disorienting.

Seriously, I'm stumped. This is a bad ability.

4 minutes ago, (NSW)mrEkli said:

Does no one seriously use it to span objective zones better? I feel like people only want it as a safety net in this thread.

I can't think of any time where that's a big deal. She's already really fast, and I guess it gives you the sense of being in two places at once, but I seriously don't know when that's important.

Also, if you're still having trouble with energy with Dispensary, you can just equip Equilibrium.

1 minute ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

I can't think of any time where that's a big deal. She's already really fast, and I guess it gives you the sense of being in two places at once, but I seriously don't know when that's important.

Also, if you're still having trouble with energy with Dispensary, you can just equip Equilibrium.

I have no problems with energy but it really helped me keep Interception going solo for way longer than I did with other frames.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

I've seen so many people replacing it with another ability from the helminth, or generally find it useless

I mean, it's not OP but it's definitely got utility, more than what you ask for.

Plus it's cool, has cool sound animations and design

Probably could've been better if the rewind on death didn't stagger you though

It's just not ideal for a lot of what people do.  It's not a "trash tier" ability like Switch Teleport or Decoy, but the way it functions just doesn't fit with several mission types.  If you're playing anything with a lot of movement (Exterminate, Rescue, Capture) then the physical rewind is kind of a problem.  In outdoor maps I can barely keep up with other players during bounties unless I Operator Teleport all over the place.  If I place an anchor then I'm being yanked backwards when everyone else is Sprintframing forwards.

And the "prevents death" aspect isn't great, because you have to place it before you're at risk of dying.  It can help a little with a few specific fights, such as against the Necramechs.  (Place it back down the hallway so when they kill you, you teleport out of their line of sight so they don't just run over and kick you in the head while you stand up.)  That works a little better if you have the reflexes to trigger it manually just before you die, so that you don't ragdoll and lose energy or whatever.

The main benefit for most people is saving their Energy state, especially in relatively static missions like Defense or some of the Interception maps.  Drop an anchor, maybe a Dispensary, then just go completely batspit crazy throwing down turrets and shredder grendades.  End the anchor and blip back to your Dispensary (and hopefully top off any energy or ammo) and then do it again.

It's not a bad power, it's just her most expendable power if someone wants to replace something.  It's also the one with the least possible synergy with Helminth powers, or at least any of the combos that I've thought of so far.

9 hours ago, HoustonDragon said:

The animation and concept is cool, but the execution is a little more annoying than it's worth, imo. I would have liked to be able to drop a beacon to teleport/rewind back versus doing something for 15-20 seconds and immediately popping backwards.

More PoP: Sands of Time style for a "OH CRAP" rewind ability.

Oh my GOD I had completely forgot about that from my past and you just brought back so many memories and BOY OH BOY would that be the most amazing rework for Protea's fourth ability. It rewinds your position for as long as you hold the ability button too, drains energy based on how many seconds rewound, that would be awesome. And if you die, it drains half your energy to rewind you half a second. That would be amazing. I love it. Give it a cooldown though so it can't be abused.

4 hours ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

Let me repeat that. Temporal Anchor actively prevents you from playing the game for a few seconds.

let me repeat it again, i think it bears additional repeating.

this ultimately sums up my issue with the Anchor... if you have any amount of duration on Protea, to get as much use of her other abilities, then the rewind is also longer.

unless... what if Anchor did its damage multiple times as its rewinding? you know those little shadows, or echos? imagine each one exploding for the Anchor damage as it reversed..

imagine being able to make a trail like Firewalker that explodes all along the trail... Imagine Triggering Temporal Anchor and running around the entirety of Hydron, spamming abilites as you went.. then having Anchor end and anything that is in the trail you left behind get uber murdered by your Rewind of doom.

just a thought, its about the only way i would use this ability personally.

Found it useful for the derelict assassination mission (use skill, rush and kill lantern bearer and snatch it, rewind back to boss room). Besides that her outer skills will do the job in any outer situation. 

As for the helmith thing, her first 3 abilities are pretty much her bread and butter, that only leaves her 4th... Yea. 

Archived