Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do you dislike Protea's temporal anchor?

(PSN)Hopper_Orouk

It's in the wrong game. Overwatch is a competitive game where players might want to do something really tactical like rewind. Warframe is mostly about progressing through an objective, your usually traveling toward a destination, and losing distance just to recover isn't any more practical than entombing yourself and regenerating, it's just forcing you to put in more effort, and when your playing a grindy game where you want to reduce effort as much as possible to acquire a God awful resource one more time, most players can't be bothered, even if the ultimate outcome is superior. 

I think if Conclave was actually loaded with compelling rewards so players could prioritize it, something like that would be a lot more desirable. But who knows, maybe if Overwatch players could replace Tracers ability, they'd do that too. 

Il y a 10 heures, (NSW)mrEkli a dit :

It's very useful for defense, excavation and interception missions. Basically anywhere there's a "sticky" objective that has enemies constantly attacking it. So those that don't use it, just haven't found the use for it. If there is an area that can use extra coverage or you need to wipe out a group and anchor yourself to another objective, use it.

Or, you know, one shot from a modded Kuva Bramma, or a Kuva Ogris, and a good spray from an Ignis... or, you get the picture.

The time it takes you to play through Protea's rewind animation and proc. the damage, I've already killed every single enemy 4 tiles over and had time to run around to suck up the loot.

-----

Honestly, Protea's 4 is just not good compared to the alternatives:

- There's Zenurik (or even Protea's own 3rd ability) for energy issues. Or an Energy Pizza.

- There's Arcane Grace, Magus Nourish and Magus Repair, oh, and Protea's own 3rd ability again, if you have Health issues. Not to mention Health Pizzas.

- You get animation-locked for god-knows how long while you rewind.

- You get thrown back multiple rooms if you activated it and forgot about it.

- The damage is negligible.

- It's quicker to just shoot enemies and kill them.

There are just not enough (if any if we're being honest) scenarios where you'd have to use Protea's 4, especially considering her 3rd ability and her turret do what her 4th does, just much, much better and without an awfully-long animation-lock.

This ability could have been absolutely amazing if you could get "Void Strike" stack back by going back to time but you do not get "Void Strike" back, only charged damage you can get back is Combo multiplier on melee.

And I don't see any other useful use of this ability in Warframe. So I never use it myself.

The concept is cool, but as it stands now it's a glorified built-in set of pads.

Putting now an anchor point to return back to after a few seconds just doesn't fit most of warframe gameplay: unless you're playing defense, chances are you'll be sprinting forward for the whole mission. You'll rarely need to go backward through the level. Temporal Anchor feels like a clunky gimmick not worth using most of the times.

Moreso, abilities that group enemies together allow her turret to gain a much higher multiplier, thus a higher damage output.

Ehh...

Its situational. Use for it includes speedrunning Spy missions, and every single endless mission.

Requires more than 3 brain cell for the player to actively make the most efficient use, such as disruption and defense missions, as well as spamming Bramma shots just because Dispensary does not refill ammo fast enough. However, players would use other options that will just as well but with less effort.

Which is why it makes it seem redundant to her other abilities. It does what her other abilities do, just faster when used correctly. If not used correctly, it will act disadvantageous.

Her 3 abilities makes are "camp" in one spot. Her 4 encourages the player to actually go all out with one single risk in mind. Players often just choose not to take the risk at all.

For improvements, I would just improve the casting animation and refund energy cost on cast cancel. Other have already suggested allowing it rewind whenever we want (Though this is likely to cause server stress.)

I think it's a super cool tech demo and novelty. I only ever find myself using it for funsies though when I'm in a defense or waiting at extraction.

My big problem with it personally is that Warframe the vast majority of the time is a game that keeps you moving forward constantly. I just get no opportunity to use a Temporal Anchor because unavoidably it will force me to backtrack.

It just seems a waste of time. How often do I need to travel back through a mission? Not often. Am I ever so starved of resources I need to time travel to recoup them? No and hell no when playing protea because her 2 exists.

If I do need to fast travel the kiddo is easier and instantaneous anyway.

Thinking about it, this "time" cocept clashes with her engineer concept, at best it should work like this, she summons allys from the past or future, syndicate units maybe, or reverse time this way that it gets lashed back dealign double the effects and damage, healing you without reversing you.

Can't bring myself to remove it, as it's the main thing that makes her unique... But I gotta admit most of the time it's kinda useless. Most mission types have you going forward, so putting an anchor point is counter productive , as you know you'll be sent back a couple of rooms by the time it expires. It's fun on defense / mobile defense / when you reach the end of the mission before everyone else and you just leave your anchor at extract and go clear some rooms, then warp back, but that's about it...

I finally got to play around with Protea and she's pretty awesome. I need to get the Shield recovery arcanes for her, but otherwise her whole kit is useful.

The issue with the 4 is that it's best in defense or places where you have to camp. So I'm gonna put another forma in her and try her in an endurance survival.

All the missions where you just run through hallways dont need her 4, but everything else is great.

I'm just gonna farm a 3rd Protea so I can have 2 for different uses. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Madurai-Prime said:

I finally got to play around with Protea and she's pretty awesome. I need to get the Shield recovery arcanes for her, but otherwise her whole kit is useful.

The issue with the 4 is that it's best in defense or places where you have to camp. So I'm gonna put another forma in her and try her in an endurance survival.

All the missions where you just run through hallways dont need her 4, but everything else is great.

I'm just gonna farm a 3rd Protea so I can have 2 for different uses. 

You can always just build a different configuration (A, B, C), which can also be used separately for formas and Helminth abilities.

i practically never ever find a situation where it would be usefull im allready topped of on energy and shields  so being able to spam afew more of her 2 or 1 is not that helpfull  maybe if it was more like a straight up insta rewind with a cooldown that would proc when used OR if you are brought down that could be usefull against those god damn instakilling necromechs

I wouldn't say I dislike Temporal Anchor, but it is definitely her least useful ability.

Pros:

• Rewinding looks cool.
  • Lets you get back energy, ammo, and combo multipliers.
  • Can save you from dying I guess?  But if you die you don't get energy, etc, and you get knocked down, which isn't great.

Cons:

• Redundant because Dispensary already gives energy and ammo.
  • Rewinding can be disorienting and leave you at a disadvantage while you get your bearings.
  • Moves you back to where you were X seconds ago, so can't really be used without consequence unless you're camping a spot.
  • Gets wasted if you fall off a ledge.
  • Allies can't see you rewind, so they don't know how cool you look.  :/

It's sad because clearly some great programming work was put into this ability, but in its current state, it just doesn't satisfy a need Protea has.  It's sort of a shame that Protea has Dispensary, because without it Temporal Anchor would be a lot more valuable.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Unstar said:

I wouldn't say I dislike Temporal Anchor, but it is definitely her least useful ability.

Pros:

• Rewinding looks cool.
  • Lets you get back energy, ammo, and combo multipliers.
  • Can save you from dying I guess?  But if you die you don't get energy, etc, and you get knocked down, which isn't great.

Cons:

• Redundant because Dispensary already gives energy and ammo.
  • Rewinding can be disorienting and leave you at a disadvantage while you get your bearings.
  • Moves you back to where you were X seconds ago, so can't really be used without consequence unless you're camping a spot.
  • Gets wasted if you fall off a ledge.
  • Allies can't see you rewind, so they don't know how cool you look.  :/

It's sad because clearly some great programming work was put into this ability, but in its current state, it just doesn't satisfy a need Protea has.  It's sort of a shame that Protea has Dispensary, because without it Temporal Anchor would be a lot more valuable.

The majority of players don't have disorientation issues. 

I love it.

It's great for infinite ability spam - have arcane energize, use dispensary, you can last like 20 minutes with nothing but constant ability nuke, which is able to wreck level hundreds without a reasonable degree of abilit strength.

But it's just for fun. I have a couple dozen weapons I can do just as much with.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Madurai-Prime said:

The majority of players don't have disorientation issues. 

Please tell me you don't have access to all players' medical records. That would be terrifying.

And even if most players don't experience motion sickness usually, this ability for some odd reason is murder on my eyes. Especially since I run a very high duration setup due to her turret really loving duration. It's easy to get lost, especially when pushing the advance. Nothing like being on the Corpus outdoor cold tileset in the big open area, running around like an idiot with TA up and then suddenly getting yeeted back three rooms because you wanted to spam grenades.

14 minutes ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

Please tell me you don't have access to all players' medical records. That would be terrifying.

And even if most players don't experience motion sickness usually, this ability for some odd reason is murder on my eyes. Especially since I run a very high duration setup due to her turret really loving duration. It's easy to get lost, especially when pushing the advance. Nothing like being on the Corpus outdoor cold tileset in the big open area, running around like an idiot with TA up and then suddenly getting yeeted back three rooms because you wanted to spam grenades.

Yea sorry it was stupid to argue over. I think it's pretty cool.

I honestly found it hilarious when boarding crewships in veil proxima. You jump in, pop 4, rush to the console, take it down, destroy reactor, teleport back to the entrance and leave. Most of the time, enemies dont even have time to react. On high level missions, when i see that red blob in a room, pop the 4, smash 1, smash 2 for maximum stun, open the door, obliterate the blob with ogris (combined with moa's whiplash and proteas 2, its amazing, meme galore) and bam. Ammo back, energy back, health shields back and room cleared. on to the next one!

• 7 months later...

Her 1 can either cut off entire sections of the map and kill anything it touches at low - mid levels or stagger or give her and allies overshields

Her 2 just decimates anything in sight

Her 3 gives her and allies health, shields and ammo

All 3 of those are useful but TA is not very practical. Is it cool? Hell yes. The animations, sound design and overall concept are amazing but there's rarely a time where I feel like using it. Someone else mentioned it but it relies on planning ahead which I rarely do in WF. I make decisions on the spot, not 20 seconds in advance. I don't know if I'm going to be needing that get out of death free card in 15/20 seconds. Not to mention the stagger which can get you killed anyway. Other than (maybe) surviving death and getting some energy back it doesn't seem to be useful for anything.

I like the theme but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe they'd be better off replacing it with another temporal-themed ability. Maybe something like an AoE where you can tap to slow enemies or hold to increase movement, attack speed and health/shield regen for yourself and allies when you are within the AoE. Or maybe something completely different that is still tech-oriented. Anything really. As of right now it is massively overshadowed by her other 3 abilities. 

Archived