Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sustainable Umbra Excal + Companion to Auto-Pilot Assist Necramech

LegendaryNeurotoxin

Question

I've been trying to figure out how to make an Umbra build that maximizes sustainability on autopilot, so I can feasibly stay in-mech for 60+ level content. Given that Umbra and Companions don't loot, health orbs are out of the question, and likewise loot radius and radar mods seem to be wasted since the mech is contact-only looting.

So far I've come to Truth / Truth-modded weapons, loading exclusively health and armor, using arcanes for defense and restoration, and using a Vasca Kavat set up for health/armor and healing linkage. Other than the vault necramech taking down my kavat, this worked pretty well in my initial tests. 

I feel like I'm missing something.. something big. Bigger, of course, than the potential futility of trying to make poor ol' Umbra relevant as a mech ally. 

Admittedly I don't like the feel of Burston Prime or Viper Wraith, so I'll be switching to the Telos guns, which I believe will increase damage output too. I'm using Silva & Aegis Prime, and I'm hoping that the extra blocking capability is more worthwhile than Jaw Sword's ability to apply slash and viral or some other standard meta combo. No rivens between them all. Healing return on melee, of course.

Long term I'm going to install a stance mod, but the current build is Steel Charge, all three Umbral mods, Arrmored Agility, Gladiator Aegis and Resolve, Carnis Carapace, and Primed Vigor, with Arcane Grace and Guardian to enhance survival.

This Vasca needs more Forma, but right now the build is Link Health, Link armor, Hunter Recovery, Maul, Fetch (this is iffy since corn mech has no loot magnets), Medi Pet Kit, Swipe, Sharpened Claws, Draining Bite, and Transfusion (might be better spent on another mod).

I am not sure if Madurai for the damage boost, or Unairu for the armor, but I think the damage provides more potential to heal through combat, while the armor isn't adding much to the beefy amount stacked on already. 

With all this in mind, is this the right approach, are the other ways to improve Umbra Excalibur's survivability and viability as a worthy mech sidekick? 

3 answers to this question

Not really. Umbra's passive isn't something you should really use as a permanent thing, due to his mediocre survivablity at best. 60+ is the level range that you'll need to remain in control of umbra to survive without dedicating all your mod slots for survival, which'll bork all his other functions. I also don't think Umbra can take advantage of arcanes. Most buffs don't affect things that use specter AI. Additionally, unless you plan to use his melee, don't bother. Umbra will never use melee, unless it's the only weapon equipped. He also doesn't run out of ammo. I'm also not sure whether syndicate effects can trigger off Umbra's actions.

Wukong's twin will also run around and help out while you're piloting the mech, but the AI is extremely wonky so it's somewhat intermittent. If they'd add things like Vacuum, Enemy Sense, and Loot Radar for the mechs, I'd be happy. Otherwise, the downsides outweigh just sticking to the Warframe overall.

Not being able to use it anywhere other than open world content is also problematic, especially for the bugs when hopping between it and your frame. Getting stuck and killed as Operator is extremely frustrating, especially if you're mid-bounties.

On 2020-09-15 at 3:59 AM, LoneWolf9989 said:

Not really. Umbra's passive isn't something you should really use as a permanent thing, due to his mediocre survivablity at best. 60+ is the level range that you'll need to remain in control of umbra to survive without dedicating all your mod slots for survival, which'll bork all his other functions. I also don't think Umbra can take advantage of arcanes. Most buffs don't affect things that use specter AI. Additionally, unless you plan to use his melee, don't bother. Umbra will never use melee, unless it's the only weapon equipped. He also doesn't run out of ammo. I'm also not sure whether syndicate effects can trigger off Umbra's actions.

Well that's the thing... I'm willing to take a power hit in terms of ability use and versatility in exchange for Umbra running back-up. I may strap both with full radiation so they're out there turning enemies against each other for me, rather than trying to score the kills themselves.  So far they haven't gone down once, though the Kavat may need more defense in some form since they seem to get eaten by the larger creatures. Good to know on ammo! 

On 2020-09-15 at 5:34 AM, HoustonDragon said:

Wukong's twin will also run around and help out while you're piloting the mech, but the AI is extremely wonky so it's somewhat intermittent. If they'd add things like Vacuum, Enemy Sense, and Loot Radar for the mechs, I'd be happy. Otherwise, the downsides outweigh just sticking to the Warframe overall.

Not being able to use it anywhere other than open world content is also problematic, especially for the bugs when hopping between it and your frame. Getting stuck and killed as Operator is extremely frustrating, especially if you're mid-bounties.

100% agree, and I really hope companion looting range linkage can eventually be extended, or that Archwing, K-Drive, and Necramech can eventually see their own loot range mods. Since they are planning on making mech summon possible in other places, I'm trying to get a build together for future shenanigans. I am rather excited to see what happens when a Lich tries to grapple mech, or if they grab Umbra instead. :D

Archived