Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dual Screen Support Is Pitiful

1Rogue

So I'm going to do some simple outlining on the couple of fallouts of this game when played with more than one screen. There may be a bit of sarcastic undertone in this, and I apologise if it comes of as me being snotty/inconsiderate/anything of the like. It's mostly just the way I come across on things that I find really somewhat baffling.

I'm posting this here because I like warframe and I really want something to be done about this (hopefully soon! Really want to run with this new screen), and I enjoy the game.

1. The game does not take over the mouse

Simply put, the mouse within the game is more of an overlay, and when you are playing on a mission it doesn't care about it coordinate-wise (from what I've seen), and allows it to roam. This spells doom with dual screens, where the mouse will move from one screen to the other, effectively killing all control on your player out of nowhere.

A simple fix (as far as I'm aware) would be locking the mouse within the center of the screen and to continue listening to movements.

2. The game simply does not display well

By this, I really mean not well at all. Two of the three modes have awful functionality, and then the third (Borderless fullscreen) is almost laughable at an attempt for working.

Windowed

AUJlVQV.jpg

This one works quite well, though I would say that is because I control the size and placement of it. So overall, good aesthetically and functionally, however it is prone to the issue I described in the first point above.

Fullscreen

BWGcxYo.jpg

As far as the mouse is concerned, this works perfectly. The layout seems correct two, except for the stark fact that I cannot use any other screen at all. So, defeats the entire purpose of anything else on any other screen, but the game is perfect!

Borderless Fullscreen (lol):

LBSuwxR.jpg

I don't even. It displays on the primary screen first, half the width, has the mouse problem, and sometimes crashes entirely despite its best effort. Not sure what was being achieved here, but it definitely doesn't work.

Edited by 1Rogue

Strange, I play this in borderless fullscreen on two monitors one a 24 inch viewsonic and the other a 19 inch NEC and I have never had a problem displaying it properly. I also never find I have issues with losing control of my character to my mouse wandering out of window unless I am on the star map, in the esc menu, or have the chat box open (also I think the item menu, but not 100% sure right now) because in game your mouse is tied to the crosshairs and can't escape the window.

Now I do remember having an issue once upon a time with what you described with the mouse, the buttons for run and use selected power were keyed to the same button as the steam overlay but the power use would override the overlay except for freeing your mouse from the crosshairs causing your mouse to be able to rampage over to your other screen. Probably not the same issue you're having but the only scenario I ran into with the same type of issue.

Edited by Drasiel

I'm not sure what you're complaining about for the Fullscreen one. It's the way most games tend to work for me (and I assume for many others). I use my left monitor to monitor who's on Teamspeak 3, or watch tv shows/movies (or livestreams :D), and for other bits and pieces which may be useful when viewed simultaneously (eg a Notepad file with a list of things to do, or a miniature warfeeds page so I can see any new alerts whilst midgame).

And if I need to actually use the mouse on my left screen for any reason? I alt tab. If I'm clicking on something other than ingame I'm not playing properly or have time to alt tab in and out.

Strange, I play this in borderless fullscreen on two monitors one a 24 inch viewsonic and the other a 19 inch NEC and I have never had a problem displaying it properly. I also never find I have issues with losing control of my character to my mouse wandering out of window unless I am on the star map, in the esc menu, or have the chat box open (also I think the item menu, but not 100% sure right now) because in game your mouse is tied to the crosshairs and can't escape the window.

Now I do remember having an issue once upon a time with what you described with the mouse, the buttons for run and use selected power were keyed to the same button as the steam overlay but the power use would override the overlay except for freeing your mouse from the crosshairs causing your mouse to be able to rampage over to your other screen. Probably not the same issue you're having but the only scenario I ran into with the same type of issue.

For me, it doesn't seem to be held down at the crosshairs, which makes gameplay impossible

Edited by 1Rogue

I have a dual monitor setup, and I do use borderless fullscreen with little issue. My cursor stays in the window during gameplay, and I can navigate it out when paused or in a menu as I please. The trick in this case is to temporarily change which monitor is the  primary one, and that seems to solve most of the issues. Of course, the best solution would be to add an option to CHOOSE which display warframe will use, because changing the primary display can screw with your desktop icons and default locations of some windows (they sometimes end up off-screen).

I use a dual screen setup, and i find the most reliable way to play is Windowed / Fullscreen. I like to be able to move between screens (usually I have the forum up, the Wiki or anything else I am interested in on the second screen). Going borderless fullscreen seems to make the game bug out like the OP describes, and also when it crashes in Borderless mode it crashes my entire system, which is not the case with Windowed Fullscreen (or basically windowed maximized). I'd rather not go through all that Alt-tab stuff - if I am in a mission and need to move to the other screen or adjust the window I can just press pause, which breaks the mouse out of dedicated mode.

The functionality I would like to see in support for dual monitors is to be able to tear away the chat and have it on the second screen - that and fixes for the issues with the other modes.