Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Personal opinion about the current game engine

MouadSaqui

3 minutes ago, Serafim_94 said:

I don't know a single game that changed its engine without doing full-pledged re-release. Because engine, in many ways, IS the game, and transition from one to other is horrendous on every level.

Believe me, we all agree on that. 

But their boat has too many holes in it and is sinking already. That's the issue. 

3 hours ago, Felsagger said:

Yes, that's true. It will never happen, but....

You do realize that War Frame looks like a generic baked potato portable cellphone app game, right? 

So you're telling me a game that has 2017-2018 PC graphics is mobile game level...? 

You should do a comparison to show how clearly wrong you are. Mobile game graphics is incomparable to warframe's graphics.

Current engine seems pretty good to me. Looks amazing on high-end systems, still runnable on most ancient systems, quite performant and customizable across the board. Networking engine strikes me as particularly impressive--sure we get the occasional lag and disconnect, but I'm still trying to mentally sort out what aspects of missions are host-centric and which ones are offloaded to clients as combat is both extremely responsive (which would suggest a lot is done on the client side) yet well-synchronized (which would suggest a lot is done on the host side).

36 minutes ago, sly_squash said:

combat is both extremely responsive (which would suggest a lot is done on the client side) yet well-synchronized (which would suggest a lot is done on the host side).

Combat being client sided was a change added in recently.

Now, if only they made the doors opening client-sided as well....

29 minutes ago, Aadi880 said:

Combat being client sided was a change added in recently.

Now, if only they made the doors opening client-sided as well....

Obviously it's not entirely client side because enemies need to update on other people's screens when you blast them away. I wonder if the communication of when enemies die goes from client to server to all other clients or is distributed in a peer-to-peer fashion. It's all quite slick--I rarely feel like I'm attacking an enemy that's actually already dead because someone else killed it but my machine just doesn't know about it yet, for example.

1 hour ago, DrivaMain said:

So you're telling me a game that has 2017-2018 PC graphics is mobile game level...? 

Yes, want proof? 

1 hour ago, DrivaMain said:

You should do a comparison to show how clearly wrong you are. Mobile game graphics is incomparable to warframe's graphics.

Say again? 

15 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

yes, that looks much worse than Warframe.

shadow pop-in, low res textures, model pop-ins, constantly.

The grass looks hideous and the lighting is as one would expect from a mobile game. FPS is both low and unstable. No cloth physics.

Probably no anti-aliasing or reflections.

21 minutes ago, Gwyndolin-chan said:

yes, that looks much worse than Warframe.

IOS games for 2020. Of course they should look inferior. 

This is what people miss. In 2022 Iphone games will evolve and their tech will get much better. The games I shown are OPEN WORLD games pulling off vegetation. Their resources will be limited, yes. 

I will link in 12 hours the PS5 announcement and reveal of PS5 games. That will give you how far behind War Frame graphics are. 

Let me give you a glimpse of what you will see in the PS5. This is a game play. 

18 hours ago, MouadSaqui said:

I only want to play the game with less bugs and fps drops

And new engine is supposed to make this happen... how exactly?

Is it supposed to automatically fix all the bugs?

Is it supposed to out of the box have any and all conceivable and inconceivable feature the devs may want to add to the game in the future?

No matter what game is powered by, you have to write your own code for it, so you'll have bugs and will need to fix them no matter what.

2 hours ago, Felsagger said:

Yes, want proof? 

Say again? 

spiderman GIF

Is this what top mobile graphics has to offer? No volumetric lighting, reflections, real time shadows, TAA anti aliasing, Fog,  

Yeah I think I am not waste my time here arguing. Toodles!

12 hours ago, OniDax said:

Weird FPS drops and high temps in the open worlds and certain tilesets (mainly the newer ones).

You should specify what you mean by high temps.

Newer areas are more demanding, which causes higher overall temperatures than older areas. Then Deferred Render, if enabled, pushes the gpu usage even further.

Although, temperatures being too high comes from inadequate cooling. My cpu only exceeds 70c when loading, during combat its 55-65c. My GPU (w/ DR enabled) sits between 72C and 77C. Although, my gpu is a high powered one, 1080ti, with the worst possible cooling solution you could possibly have, a blower style that was even worse than the FE blower.

If it's your gpu heating up and causing fps issues, which isn't that uncommon as sometimes the constant voltage and clock changes causes stuttering, you can actually solve that by ensuring your fan curve is actually functioning, as depending on who put it together the fans may never actually do much. Then the voltage itself can be lowered and clocks adjusted to where temperatures drop noticeably without much performance loss; which also stops the voltage and clocks from adjusting as much from the constant temperature changes.

The BUGs have nothing to do with the Engine itself...more or less those are programmer issues, like when you add code that conflicts with smth you added somewhere else...
In Fact Warframe is the best looking and most stable Game i played in my 20 years of Gaming. And with a few map/location exceptions it runs fluid on my rig.

I had maybe 3 Crashes since 2013, playing 8+ hours on a session.
Of course there are games with "different Graphics", but then they are not fluid on my rig.
Also Warframe has a nice movement system, you're fast, i soo no other game like this.

Reading some of your replies and posts it seems you're just being bitter.
Do yourself a favor and take a break.

As a Games Design Student for one I know the pains with Game Engines.
Especially swapping around between a different update of the same engine breaking the entire project.

So moving from their own in-house engine to, say, a publicly available one wouldn't be a quick switch (or an easy one)
It's more a case of rebuilding the entire game from the ground up.
Of course the assets are there, but who's to say any of the code will work?

Each game addition is likely a game engine extension, whether it is graphics rendering, archwing/operators/railjack additions.  I remember clear long pauses when we first go Uranus and had to transition to archwing, now its much more seamless with additions such as necramechs, operators, etc nearly seamless.

The advantage of having your own, is that you extend it to meet your needs.  The disadvantage is you may lack features that have become common elsewhere (lighting/graphics).

The most limiting aspect imo is that you load into discrete scenarios in all game play formats, so to your point there is no true open world experience where you match within the world to perform xyz objective. Instead we pre-load a party and missions and that instance is only what was loaded in which is because there is no server, only peer to peer connections.

In any case, I wonder how well other engines out there would handle the shear magnitude of transitions they have enabled in warframe.  Take rail jack for an example, there's so much interweaving between entering vessels/forts, open archwing/railjack, and you warframe/operator delivery.

16 hours ago, Felsagger said:

This is a path that I will not walk for the second time. 

Find someone else to converse. 

If you dont want a conversation with people, dont quote or ninja quote them in the first place, easy as that. I had no intent whatsoever to direct any comments towards you, but you just couldnt stear clear from actually quoting something I said.

18 hours ago, Corvid said:

Just an FYI, the 30FPS is from the video. The game runs at 60 on consoles.

Yes, but it is still a completely different game. Not everything comes down to the fps it can pull, there are other factors that surrounds that. One can say a 1vs1 fighter is a smoother experience than WF, but they are completely different types of games, where one is far less stressful, and easier to maintain a smooth experience with since so little goes on. Kinda like when people rained on GW2 GwGwG performance and compared it to how smooth WoW BGs were. GW2 had to handle several hundreds of players and NPCs across 3 factions, with destructible walls etc. while WoW had to handle 80 people on a map a bitesize of GW2 RvR maps, with zero destructible objects.

And this is before we consider WF's extremely high speed movement aswell, and the engine keeping up well for a very smooth experience.

22 minutes ago, (PS4)TheWanderer17 said:

In any case, I wonder how well other engines out there would handle the shear magnitude of transitions they have enabled in warframe.  Take rail jack for an example, there's so much interweaving between entering vessels/forts, open archwing/railjack, and you warframe/operator delivery.

Well, I know that Unreal can handle something similar (transitioning from fighter-style space combat to capital ship/station interiors, then taking direct control of said capital ships and flying them around) because it's been done in Angels Fall First. It even handles it in the same "cheaty" way as Railjack (infantry interiors being static locations far away from the battlefield that players are teleported to and from when they transition between gameplay styles, with fake "windows" that provide the illusion that you're on a moving ship).

Said game doesn't have anything analogous to switching to Operator mode, but it does allow you to switch out your equipment loadouts mid-match (and you have separate loadouts for infantry and each of the 4 fighter types). It also has something pretty cool in that if you board a dropship equipped with a breaching pod, you can go from one capital ship interior to another without ever leaving infantry mode.

This isn't me saying DE should drop everything and switch to Unreal, by the way. I'm well aware of the issues an engine change can cause. I'm just giving an example of another game using another engine that was able to pull off something comparable to Railjack.

Spoilered: A 5 minute gameplay clip to illustrate what I'm talking about. Bear in mind that this clip is nearly 5 years old at this point, and the game has seen several updates since it was taken.

Spoiler

Archived