Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

⊃∪∩⪽ Themes.. I'd love to see an open world desert area, with sandworms. Maybe on Mars?

kungfucolin

12 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

would be nice but that theme doesn't fit too much here I think, unless they just take the artstyle to fix mars because right now is the most ugly planet

Technically, Deimos is part of Mars, but regarding Mars itself, the basic geography seems to make the most sense to me regarding similarity to Arrakis.
I get that it's difficult to make a desert area interesting, I'm thinking the Night/Day mechanic could be some kind of shifting sand dunes, and when they are in one position, you can extract resources from the desert, and when they are in another position, you can go down into ruins.

1 minute ago, DeccanTraps said:

Instead of sandworms how about a grineer open world on mars, with huge articulated grineer drill worms?

Have the OW consist of a narrow steeply confined space making up the noctes labrynthus into the vales marineris and utopia planita?

Actually that sounds rad. Machine-worm totally works for the Grineer theme, too. New kind of Kuva mission as well maybe, enter the worm through the mouth, in which you work your way through endless segments front to back over a fixed period of time, more segments = more kuva, as the worm travels through the map

1 minute ago, kungfucolin said:

Actually that sounds rad. Machine-worm totally works for the Grineer theme, too. New kind of Kuva mission as well maybe, enter the worm through the mouth, in which you work your way through endless segments front to back over a fixed period of time, more segments = more kuva, as the worm travels through the map

Thank you, and it's a point of endless frustration that they set missions on Mars, and they may as well be set in Arizona.

For Ares' sake you've got the Vales Marineris, the single largest canyon, deepest, widest, longest, in the solar system, and it's fed by a region of interlinked canyons literally named 'The Labyrinth of night' and no level designer said 'I can do something cool with that!' they are right next to Olympus Mons, the tallest mountain, the biggest shield volcano, in the solar system (shame about the gradient), named after the home of the Greek gods, and no one contrived a way to make that fun? Come on it even climbs right out of the atmosphere if you want awing integration this is your shot!.

33 minutes ago, (XB1)YoungGunn82 said:

Looks at Eidolons on Cetus....Gene Wilder Reaction GIF

I think that a Dune theme is not fit for the game. That's why my Bugs Bunny "no" got deleted. 

Duviri Paradox will provide a similar theme but a barren desert is way hard to make it interesting unless vehicles and new ways of transport are designed for it. I rather see DE working with what they have. 

Wouldn't mercury make more sense? It's not like that it's the planet nearest to the sun. 

Maybe? When I think of Mercury, I think Flowing Lava rather than desert - perhaps there are deserts at the poles, though?

Come on it even climbs right out of the atmosphere if you want awing integration this is your shot!.

Totally agree, it's perfect.
Despite the very slight camber over the caldera, there is a sheer drop of 20 kilometers or so, sounds like a pretty exciting spot for an archwing.

GiantSkate.png

This is legitimately Terrifying ^_^;

vor 1 Minute schrieb [DE]Drew:

GiantSkate.png*

(*for entertainment purposes only. Not indicative of mad science currently happening at DE)

Weren't the normal kryotic infected desert skates already enough? Now we have them with them with an even bigger smile. XD

vor 3 Minuten schrieb kungfucolin:

Maybe? When I think of Mercury, I think Flowing Lava rather than desert - perhaps there are deserts at the poles, though?

Why not both at once? A big desert with the one or other big cliff filled with lava. Would be funny if someone accidentally falls in and can't use his archwing, because they would directly explode from the heat.

I'm not saying there is no merit to this idea (there totally is some merit) but remember that Dune's starting premise and Warframe's starting premise are rather antithetical

Dune is Lawrence of Arabia in space. And that idea is taken so far that there are even lore reasons why Lawrence is using a sword instead of a gun: shields block bullets and blow up tanks, bur don't work on swords. And much like World War 1, politics are a huge central obstacle

Warframe, as has been well-memed, is anime space ninjas, complete with ninja magic and teenage z-kids. Future tech has resulted in an arms race instead of a stalemate like in Dune, and politics mostly exist to make sure the villains are so utterly despicable we can't do anything but shoot them

Eh there's a risk in echoing the latest hot thing too closely. But Warframe is already heavily Dune influenced, with a solar system in which governance is monarchic/imperial ( The Queens of the Grineer, while the function of the Corpus government closely resemble CHOAM) anachronistic preponderance of melee combat in a high tech culture, personal shields as a defensive measure, and technology retained by specialized trade guilds (Corpus, and Syndicates) along with specialized sub-breeds of human and psychic powers (The Operators). Given its uses in life prolonging Kuva makes a not awful analogue for the spice Mélange, Corpus drink from the same cup as Ix. I could go on but Dune is embedded in the cultural bedrock of Science fiction to a point where it can seem itself derivative having had its elements reused and retooled so very often.

14 minutes ago, kungfucolin said:

Have you read Dune, or even seen the old movie? There are incredible similarities already, I don't really understand why you think it wouldn't fit.

Sorry but no. 

I have the novels, I read them. It was a hobby as free lectures for my free time. I think Frank Herbert doesn't belong here at all. These novels and themes deserves full developed games. 

3 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

I'm not saying there is no merit to this idea (there totally is some merit) but remember that Dune's starting premise and Warframe's starting premise are rather antithetical

Dune is Lawrence of Arabia in space. And that idea is taken so far that there are even lore reasons why Lawrence is using a sword instead of a gun: shields block bullets and blow up tanks, bur don't work on swords. And much like World War 1, politics are a huge central obstacle

Warframe, as has been well-memed, is anime space ninjas, complete with ninja magic and teenage z-kids. Future tech has resulted in an arms race instead of a stalemate like in Dune, and politics mostly exist to make sure the villains are so utterly despicable we can't do anything but shoot them

That is an incredibly shallow read of Dune, and I'll take Saint Alia of the knife over any tenno.

You think that the Fremen weren't ninja? They come closer to that archetype than any Tenno with dual pistols, claymore and missile launcher.

5 minutes ago, DeccanTraps said:

That is an incredibly shallow read of Dune, and I'll take Saint Alia of the knife over any tenno.

You think that the Fremen weren't ninja? They come closer to that archetype than any Tenno with dual pistols, claymore and missile launcher.

Anything I condense to two sentences is going to sound "shallow". I know full well that the guerilla Fremen are a lot closer to a historical ninja than the Tenno's anime magic wackiness

7 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

I think Frank Herbert doesn't belong here at all. 

I'd Argue that Frank Herbert is already here. It's going to be pretty hard to point to a single concept in warframe that doesn't trace back to an analogue in Dune, imo.

7 minutes ago, DeccanTraps said:

^My sentiments exactly

Archived