Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack and Lich system. Too much new content being pumped out, old stuff being left behind?

Tenno76856

10 hours ago, Methanoid said:

the-water-and-island.jpg

Welcome to island content, where the old makes way for the new, nothing new here tbh, many games do it, warframe for a long time now has just joined the other flocks of sheep and settled into that trend.

This is why there is a dead starchart (apart from affinity grind nodes), dead archwing nodes, dead railjack, dead steel path, etc etc etc, but hey, why fix it when you can just copy and paste it.

People are actually still running the starchart, but largely just kuva siphons, void vissures, invasions, syndicate missions, and kuva lich hunts, and even nightmare missions, believe it or not.  Basically, the "advanced" missions.

Railjack and the open worlds would have new life breathed into them if these advanced missions were added to both forms of game play.

6 hours ago, Talinthis said:

oh so 15 year old graphics engines dont get outdated and dont have limitations to what they can do without rewriting the whole thing? my bad then.

The limitations exist if the code is too much of a hassle to unravel.  Otherwise, Gamebryo became the Creation engine for Bethesda, and even they can make it work if they plug away at it long enough (but their track record with code management has been abyssmal, so they're likely just being cheap.)  To my knowledge, Unreal 1 and Unreal 5 aren't two entirely separated engines development wise, though code wise they probably are anymore (kind of like starting with an old station wagon and replacing everything piece meal until you end up with a ferrari.)  Not sure if idtech did the same.

Engine upgrading or replacement depends entirely on the programming a developer is building upon, and the skill of said developer.  It's on a case-by-case basis whether or not a team upgrades an engine or starts from scratch.  Even with established engines like Unreal and Unity, professional developers often have to "upgrade" them to accomplish the results they want.

That all said, I'm going to guess that the evolution engine is more than capable of doing whatever DE wants it to do.  Game engines anymore are built to evolve.

10 hours ago, Lost_Cartographer said:

The limitations exist if the code is too much of a hassle to unravel.  Otherwise, Gamebryo became the Creation engine for Bethesda, and even they can make it work if they plug away at it long enough (but their track record with code management has been abyssmal, so they're likely just being cheap.)  To my knowledge, Unreal 1 and Unreal 5 aren't two entirely separated engines development wise, though code wise they probably are anymore (kind of like starting with an old station wagon and replacing everything piece meal until you end up with a ferrari.)  Not sure if idtech did the same.

Engine upgrading or replacement depends entirely on the programming a developer is building upon, and the skill of said developer.  It's on a case-by-case basis whether or not a team upgrades an engine or starts from scratch.  Even with established engines like Unreal and Unity, professional developers often have to "upgrade" them to accomplish the results they want.

That all said, I'm going to guess that the evolution engine is more than capable of doing whatever DE wants it to do.  Game engines anymore are built to evolve.

yeah i agree with all that, but evolving the engine into a currently existing game is a different kind of animal. that often means scrapping the majority of what you have currently. even AAA developers that build their own seem to move on to a sequel instead of updating it forever, it would make implementing new technology much easier than revamping an older game entirely. with all the mess we have with new content, i wouldnt doubt that the part i bolded in your comment is true.

16 hours ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

Who am I, Todd Howard?

i dont know, maybe? you seem to know how things work since you told me that isnt how they work

I wonder how many nay-sayers of RJ screamed in furstration that they are still working on it, now with Necramech Sentry.

I really have to check if those who want RJ to be left abandoned are the same people who complain that DE abandoms old content for the new shinny... I'm pretty sure there are some.

On 2020-09-18 at 2:30 PM, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

Sorry to tell you, but this is a 7 year habit. 

When a new update comes out, there's a very good chance content that came before it is unrelated and will remain unchanged/unfinished for more years to come.

DE likes "new, new, new" and not so much "finish, finish, finish".

And for as much as I'd like to blame them, I can't, because if they stop throwing new things at the game, the game dies.

Of course, if they would get things right for a change with these content updates instead of every new system being a complete mess that needs a massive rework, that'd be pretty nice, too...

On 2020-09-19 at 10:57 PM, ebrl said:

And for as much as I'd like to blame them, I can't, because if they stop throwing new things at the game, the game dies.

Of course, if they would get things right for a change with these content updates instead of every new system being a complete mess that needs a massive rework, that'd be pretty nice, too...

I definitely don't blame them, at least not entirely. I understand that they are working with a small staff, and likely have their parent company having final say in certain things like the amount of grind as incentive to push plat sales (which is highly common in China).

I still think they'd save themselves a lot of time and money by reworking critical base mechanics and numbers to streamline development instead of spending half their time attempting to rebalance everything that they didn't do right the first time. 

Archived