Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ugly, dirty and weathered textures on warframes

(PSN)Vexx757

I like the weathered orbiter and frames' look, but that's just me and my taste. I think more customization options would not be amiss in cases like these so more players would be happy with their stuff. Visual stuff is a big part of probably most players' enjoyment here, so I'm all for this. It's part of my enjoyment too, although to a lesser extent compared to technical functionalities of the frames, like how abilities work and the stats.

This is the moa skin with white on it, only white.

unknown.png

Not only is the skin absolutely filthy, completely drenched in dirt and garbage, but the white also gets filtered down so hard that it's just gray. Not even light gray, straight up gray. The quality of this skin is so far below par that I actually got off my ass just to complain about it at all, too.

I'd honestly also wish it had more metallic parts. You are also absolutely correct about those colors, I kind of dislike that as well. I thought we could choose what part of the skin to equip (for example ki teer legs instead of normal legs and rest stays the same). Although I'm glad we got a skin since this means we might get other skins in the future which I did totally not expect!!

• 3 weeks later...

Nightwave: Nora’s Choice: Update 30.6.0 nothing fix

Sisters of Parvos: Hotfix 30.5.5  nothing fix

Sisters of Parvos: Hotfix 30.5.4 nothing fix

also sevagoth syandana don´t have the same specularity that he has on his body, why is so hard for  you to match materials DE?Warframe-2021-08-03-01-14.png

Ember Pyraxis looks ok at least the you can hide the dirty texture with darker color, but you have to use the crappy metal material again? and again her  syandana have diferent material, its so weathered that no matter what color you choose some parts remain white

Warframe-2021-08-03-01-16.png

Warframe-2021-08-03-01-17-1.png

rhino dex skin I know this is free but what a shame to see such cool design ruined

Warframe-2021-08-03-01-18.png

On 2021-07-08 at 12:58 AM, technozorro said:

I know finally some good news

Update 30.5: Sisters of Parvos  Nidus Phryke has been for the most part fix, but still has some weird stuff going for example the dirt move to his neck, shoulders, back and crotch, at first I tough it was an ambien occlusion thing, but I disable it in the options but the problem persist, also the helmint charger look dirty

after                                                                                                                                                   before

Reveal hidden contents

Warframe-2021-07-07-00-37.png

Reshef Vipaza and the inner tight has a weird green color even if I´m not using green

after                                                                                                                                                  before

Reveal hidden contents

Warframe-2021-07-07-00-37-1.png

here you can see how the spine got darker rip that detail

Reveal hidden contents

Warframe-2021-07-07-00-38.png

even if it  doesn't look like the original still is an improvement thanks DE

Sisters of Parvos: Hotfix 30.5.1

Sisters of Parvos: Hotfix 30.5.2  

Sisters of Parvos: Hotfix 30.5.3

Atlas karst skin has be fixed!!!

after                                                                                                                                                before

Reveal hidden contents

Warframe-2021-07-11-23-49.png

after                                                                                                before                                                                           the syandana still looks bad

Reveal hidden contents

Warframe-2021-07-11-23-49-1.png

I made a ticket and they answered.

"Thank you for letting us know! I will pass this information along to the rest of the team to look at. Unfortunately we don’t have any further information about this at the moment, but we'll be sure to follow up with an investigation."

So we wait and see

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS

On the devstream yesterday they mentioned there is going to be some texture experiments coming soon which means we might get the Anthem treatment by changing the textures on our warframes.

This is great so now I can make my volt have a metallic look like he use to and I'll finally be able to play the original Ash and change the textures, I know one person will be happy from this thread. @technozorro

Here is the proof.

Spoiler

On 2021-08-28 at 8:33 AM, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

BREAKING NEWS

On the devstream yesterday they mentioned there is going to be some texture experiments coming soon which means we might get the Anthem treatment by changing the textures on our warframes.

This is great so now I can make my volt have a metallic look like he use to and I'll finally be able to play the original Ash and change the textures, I know one person will be happy from this thread. @technozorro

Here is the proof.

Reveal hidden contents

Nice!!! it would be cool to finally be able to change the textures, but you know DE coming soon could be next month or two years lol

also the the harrow helmet don´t match the textures of his body, and the back of his head it´s freezing or  is it made of sponge?

Spoiler

Warframe-2021-08-18-16-18.png

• 2 weeks later...

Optimizing this is a MUST tho for it to ever come to WF.

There shouldn't be nothing faster than switching UVs, right?

I would try and do it like this:

1) Store additional UV maps in the model itself

2)  name/connect the new target texture accordingly (Wet_metallic.png and Wet_metallic_UV# where # is the number)

3) player is presented with a list of materials that calls a uv and texture change event

4) The texture gets swapped to the new one, and the material is told to switch the UV_0 (normal) to the corrisponding one.

I say to switch them, instead than enabling it and keeping it, cuz I fear that the additional uv is processed as an additional vertex attribute .... to avoid that, I'd find a way to simply not send that information to the GPU . But if that happens only for things that are "actually rendered" then there's no problem.

For even more performance, implement a MegaTexture/Atlas system so that the GPU doesn't evem need to switch and load new texture, tho the problem of loading stuff u don't use is sadly there ;_;

I never did that, cuz I havs yet to need it (I'd do it in blender manually), but maybe the shader can have a "UV offset" proprety, where instead of changing the uv map, the uv map stays the same, but the coordinates of the face are moved, with a texture that has all possible materials in the game. (again, beware memory usage).

Alternatively, simply write a new shader, that acts as an override to the default one,  with extended and exposed propreties, with every possible texture loaded "hopefully" just as references xD (but i have yet to use or make such a system).

That way you can reliably say exactly how much memory and resources a single frame using this new shader is going to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Update 30.7: Nidus Prime & Plague Star                        nothing Fix!!!!

Nidus Prime & Plague Star: Hotfix 30.7.1 + 30.7.1.1       nothing Fix!!!!

Nidus Prime & Plague Star: Hotfix 30.7.2                        nothing Fix!!!!

Nidus Prime & Plague Star: Hotfix 30.7.3                       nothing Fix!!!!

Nidus Prime & Plague Star: Hotfix 30.7.4                        nothing Fix!!!!

Nidus Prime & Plague Star: Hotfix 30.7.5                       nothing Fix!!!!

Nidus Prime & Plague Star: Hotfix 30.7.6                       nothing Fix!!!!

Nights of Naberus: Update 30.8.0                                   nothing fix!!!!

If you use white colors on Revenant Deluxe it looks so dirty, but at least if you use darker color look ok thanks DE I´m so glad i bough all those color palettes

Spoiler

02.png

Spoiler

01.png

the metallic textures look bad as usual

Spoiler

04.png

Spoiler

03.png

on other skins you can use a less darker color it will look better, but on this skin still look bad

Spoiler

05.png

why are you coming with accessories  that can be equipped on other frames? there is a special reason for that, is because of clipping you don´t seem to mind that much until now DE

• 1 month later...
On 2021-11-08 at 1:09 PM, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

I was using Ash in a spy mission and I noticed that his body texture looks different in a certain location. Here is an example of a texture I like and should be an option when/if this feature comes out.

Hide contents

Warframe 20210813145917 by Aaronj-c

Hide contents

Warframe 20210209145358 by Aaronj-c

this is the crappy "Next Gen" light, I reported this bug on January, but you know DE

Update 30.9.0: Prime Resurgence nidus got another clean up !!!!!! but the helmint charger skinand the metallic textures still looks bad

before                                                                                                                              after

Spoiler

01.png

before                                                                                                                               after

Spoiler

02.png

unfortunately  the secondary color (red) is starting to look washed out

before                                                                                                                               after

Spoiler

03.png

Spoiler

04.png

here are  some videos of how the skin use to look DE maybe you can use this as reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTDP0l-re9Q&t=343s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lG-2b8saVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Dam-2CyxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JUMBemZVwI&t=9s

Prime Resurgence: Hotfix 30.9.1       nothing fix

Prime Resurgence: Hotfix 30.9.2       nothing fix

Prime Resurgence: Hotfix 30.9.3       nothing fix

Prime Resurgence: Hotfix 30.9.4       nothing fix

Surprise, surprise nothing fix!!!!!

Update 31: The New War               nothing fix

The New War: Hotfix 31.0.1           nothing fix

The New War: Hotfix 31.0.2           nothing fix

The New War: Hotfix 31.0.3           nothing fix

The New War: Hotfix 31.0.4          nothing fix

The New War: Hotfix 31.0.5           nothing fix

The New War: Hotfix 31.0.6           nothing fix

The New War: Hotfix 31.0.7           nothing fix

The New War: Hotfix 31.0.8           nothing fix

The New War: Hotfix 31.0.8.1        nothing fix

Are you gonna fix anything this year DE the new war is out, so what is going to be the new scapegoat

• 2 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread. I thought I was going crazy and the textures were always like this but I somehow kept not seeing it for years.

Around the time this thread started both my wife and myself have noticed our Warframes are looking weathered down. I'm a clean freak myself, so I'd polish my Warframe until the enemies can see themselves on it. These little specks of dust and scratches everywhere are just ridiculous. About the only exception I would make are Grineer themed stuff, which makes sense to me to be weathered down, even damaged, and generally not in top condition.

A good 'workaround' for me are Hitsu San skins. They have a really fresh and crisp looking textures on them. Unfortunately if you add Prime Details, they will be weathered down and dirty (which is absolutely ridiculous for PRIME details imo).

Example on Octavia Prime and Youkai skin. You can see her helmet and back being nice and clean but her skirt, which is a part of her Prime Details looks rather dirty.

4wZteue.jpg

On a related note, if you take a look outside your Railjack, the exterior of the ship will be heavily rusted and dirty, even though you have the related settings off or on 0. The colours don't match either. Quite infuriating.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-01-14 at 7:17 AM, (PSN)Sentiel said:

I'm glad I found this thread. I thought I was going crazy and the textures were always like this but I somehow kept not seeing it for years.

Around the time this thread started both my wife and myself have noticed our Warframes are looking weathered down. I'm a clean freak myself, so I'd polish my Warframe until the enemies can see themselves on it. These little specks of dust and scratches everywhere are just ridiculous. About the only exception I would make are Grineer themed stuff, which makes sense to me to be weathered down, even damaged, and generally not in top condition.

A good 'workaround' for me are Hitsu San skins. They have a really fresh and crisp looking textures on them. Unfortunately if you add Prime Details, they will be weathered down and dirty (which is absolutely ridiculous for PRIME details imo).

Example on Octavia Prime and Youkai skin. You can see her helmet and back being nice and clean but her skirt, which is a part of her Prime Details looks rather dirty.

4wZteue.jpg

On a related note, if you take a look outside your Railjack, the exterior of the ship will be heavily rusted and dirty, even though you have the related settings off or on 0. The colours don't match either. Quite infuriating.

I know friend is a damn shame that DE got this fetish, and is no even consistent  warframes look like trash but the syandanas and armors look like new. for me buying new skins is not an option since I bought some deluxe skins and DE change the textures months after the purchase to look bad and refuse to fix them. I did not know Railjack look bad on the outside, going to check and upload some photos.

Now that you "improve" the metallic textures of the game you also mess up some warframe metallic textures DE. I´m gonna look to other frames and let you know  to see if you feel like fixing it 

before the shapes look more define and with nice reflections                                             now it loos plain and opaque like cheap plastic

Spoiler

2021-01-21-01-15.png

before                                                                                                                                       after

Spoiler

2021-01-21-01-15-02.png

nyx nemesis skin also looks bad now

before well define shapes and metallic look                                                                                  now the shape look plain and opaque like plastic

Spoiler

2021-02-14-17-161.png

before                                                                                                                                              after

Spoiler

2021-02-14-17-16.png

before nyx look like bronze material now looks like cheap ass metallic plastic                            also khora material is no longer metallic but this crap opaque                                                                                                                                                                material by the way armor is still cliping trough her chest

Spoiler

230410-20220209145955-1.png

here is another example nidus prime arm no longer look like metal, no reflection. before it look like silver no is this opaque garbage

Spoiler

230410-20220209145955.png

Update 31.1.0: Echoes of War  nothing fix but more tennogen boizzz!!!!!

Echoes of War: Hotfix 31.1.1     nothing fix

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, silienceprime said:

This is probably a byproduct of how Warframe uses tint maps and their interactions with AO and Roughness maps, both of which have imperfections. The game is probably taking them as surface imperfections.

I think DE mess up the cubemaps, since the metal don´t have reflections 

19 hours ago, technozorro said:

I think DE mess up the cubemaps, since the metal don´t have reflections 

They probably used more generalized cubemaps on that front, rather than having multiple cubemaps for all areas. This is probably because of their metal 2.0 reflection rework, but it may also be because of the water in the Void incorrectly using other cubemaps.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but I do agree that it looks plainer than it did before.

• 4 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS!!!

We have finally done it!!!

On the devstream yesterday they showed the ability to customise the texture/materials on our warframes fina-damn-bloody-ly.

good news it looks like we are getting what we want!!

good news it looks like we are getting what we want!!

technozoro How do you feel about what is coming?

BREAKING NEWS

We are finally getting the ability to change the materials and textures on our warframes. I know @technozorro will be happy about this.

Proof:

• 2 weeks later...

Echoes of War: Banshee & Mirage Prime Vault: Hotfix 31.1.6      nothing fix!!!!

Echoes of War: Banshee & Mirage Prime Vault: Hotfix 31.1.7      nothing fix!!!!

Echoes of War: Banshee & Mirage Prime Vault: Hotfix 31.1.8      nothing fix!!!!

Nora's Mix Volume 1: Update 31.2.0 + 31.2.0.1                            nothing fix!!!!

Nora's Mix Volume 1: Hotfix 31.2.1                                               nothing fix!!!!

never change DE

On 2022-03-28 at 1:28 PM, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

BREAKING NEWS

We are finally getting the ability to change the materials and textures on our warframes. I know @technozorro will be happy about this.

Proof:

Yeah it looks pretty cool, but for what I understand is only the void skins right? also I wonder what frames are going to get those skins first

Update 31.5: Angels of the Zariman                Nothing fix!!!

Angels of the Zariman: Hotfix 31.5.1                   Nothing fix!!!!!!

the valkyr deluxe has some problems 

Her breast deforms in a weird way              Crappy metallic material can´t be colored if you use darker colors                                  the goofy arms clip like hell 

Spoiler

230410-20220427120635-1.png

1. now that you "improve" the metallic textures of the game you also mess up some warframe  textures DE. I´m gonna look to other frames and let you know to see if you feel like fixing it 

here is another texture that you ruin DE 

before                                                                                                                                                after

Spoiler

230410-20220219142608.png

and is even worst depending of the light the material changes

looks normal                                               looks opaque an glows?                                       even worst                                                             glows

Spoiler

230410-20220422143529-1.png

and limbo deluxe no longer looks metallic

Spoiler

230410-20220217181425.png

On 2022-04-28 at 6:07 PM, elpeleq42 said:

https://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/15/27/47/75/untitl15.jpg

https://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/15/27/47/75/untitl14.jpg

https://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/15/27/47/75/untitl16.jpg

The new area in warframe may have decent textures(although, still not that good looking closely) but overall? This game could do far better than that. Like, come on guys.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/842617922089779241/968011560725397545/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/842617922089779241/967564706686578729/unknown.png

I say DE starts using substance painter for high quality textures, and implements Mip Mapping and Texture Quality settings(on the menu) to allow things to look pretty AND have good performance.

Its not just warframes that need an upgrade for the textures

I notice that too maybe is a limitation with the dinosaur engine or most likely is DE half-assing the textures like always, by the way nice model👍

Angels of the Zariman: Hotfix 31.5.2              nothing fix!!!

Angels of the Zariman: Hotfix 31.5.3              nothing fix!!!

Angels of the Zariman: Hotfix 31.5.4              nothing fix!!!

Update 31.5: Angels of the Zariman               nothing fix!!!

Angels of the Zariman: Hotfix 31.5.5              nothing fix!!!

Angels of the Zariman: Hotfix 31.5.6              nothing fix!!!

Angels of the Zariman: Hotfix 31.5.7              nothing fix!!!

Zephyr & Chroma Prime Vault: Hotfix 31.5.8          nothing fix!!!

Zephyr & Chroma Prime Vault: Hotfix 31.5.9         nothing fix!!!

• 1 month later...

https://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/15/27/47/75/untitl15.jpg

https://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/15/27/47/75/untitl14.jpg

https://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/15/27/47/75/untitl16.jpg

The new area in warframe may have decent textures(although, still not that good looking closely) but overall? This game could do far better than that. Like, come on guys.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/842617922089779241/968011560725397545/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/842617922089779241/967564706686578729/unknown.png

I say DE starts using substance painter for high quality textures, and implements Mip Mapping and Texture Quality settings(on the menu) to allow things to look pretty AND have good performance.

Its not just warframes that need an upgrade for the textures

• 4 weeks later...

Gyre  textures look ugly when using darker color

no wonder most of the youtube videos I watched use white color

Spoiler

01.png

clear color still look good

Spoiler

02.png

here starts to fall apart

Spoiler

03.png

what material is this? looks like old gum or old silicone

Spoiler

04.png

Damn DE who even approve this?

• 1 month later...

I acted like I was excited for this but tbh I'm not, this is a disappointment. All DE had to do is make a skin that has no designs on them and make it look exsactly like the warframes but just make it that you can change the materials, but instead they added designs on them.

For example my volt is gray and the blue parts are his top arms and top legs, but when I put the void skin on the blue are in places I don`t want them to be, the worst thing is ppl are happy with this when this was not the point, the point is to change the material not the design on them.

So in my eyes this is a huge fail.

On 2022-07-07 at 11:44 PM, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

I acted like I was excited for this but tbh I'm not, this is a disappointment. All DE had to do is make a skin that has no designs on them and make it look exsactly like the warframes but just make it that you can change the materials, but instead they added designs on them.

For example my volt is gray and the blue parts are his top arms and top legs, but when I put the void skin on the blue are in places I don`t want them to be, the worst thing is ppl are happy with this when this was not the point, the point is to change the material not the design on them.

So in my eyes this is a huge fail.

I know friend, it would be cool if we could change the materials of the normal skins instead of having to buy new ones, or pay plat to unlock the feature on the normal skins, also how long is going to take to DE to do all the void shell skins?

Why I´m not surprised 😔

Zephyr & Chroma Prime Vault: Hotfix 31.5.10 + 31.5.10.1       nothing fix!!!!

Update 31.5: Angels of the Zariman                                         nothing fix!!!!

Echoes of the Zariman: Update 31.6                                         nothing fix!!!!

choes of the Zariman: Hotfix 31.6.1                                          nothing fix!!!!

Echoes of the Zariman: Hotfix 31.6.2                                        nothing fix!!!!

Echoes of the Zariman: Hotfix 31.6.3                                       nothing fix!!!!

Nora’s Mix Vol.2: Hotfix 31.6.4                                                  nothing fix!!!!

Khora Prime: Update 31.7                                                         nothing fix!!!!

Khora Prime: Hotfix 31.7.1                                                        nothing fix!!!!

sevagoth now look like covered on honey 

you can see the legs look all sticky, what material is this? are you trying to make other material beside plastic and hippopotamus skin? you can even fix the syandana not having the same materials as sevagoth

Spoiler

Untitled-1.png

Khora urushu  is now so glossy it looks like glass or ice, its so glossy now it doesn't look black any more

Spoiler

Untitled-2.png

Spoiler

Untitled-3.png

here is a comparison, before it look black like the color pallete                                                                                  now glows for some reason

Spoiler

Untitled-4.png

even venary looks worse now

Now  looks all glossy an the white color look grey

Spoiler

Untitled-5.png

Khora Prime: Hotfix 31.7.2 nothing fix

Veilbreaker: Update 32    nothing fix

Veilbreaker: Hotfix 32.0.1   nothing fix

Veilbreaker: Hotfix 32.0.2  nothing fix!!!!

I remember someone post a photos of grendel and since there is nothing to besides those awesome kahl missions, I decide to farm gredel and post the photos of the change textures  

again really dirty textures even the metallic material look bad

Spoiler

Untitled-1.png

close up

Spoiler

Untitled-2.png

Spoiler

Untitled-3.png

and when using darker color it has white edges all over

Spoiler

Untitled-4.png

close ups

Spoiler

Untitled-5.png

Spoiler

Untitled-6.png

and color purple material is supposed to be metal

Spoiler

Untitled-7.png

Spoiler

Untitled-8.png

since I never like grandel  belly noises and design, I don´t have photos of how he look before 

Dex EXcalibur textures looks bad when you change to darker colors

before the thigh textures look smooth and cool                                                                                            now it looks all scratched and greasy 

Spoiler

Untitled-4.png

before the back look way better                                                                                                  now look like is cover whit old glue

Spoiler

Untitled-3.png

before look smooth                                                                                                                              now that old looking material

Spoiler

Untitled-1.png

here are some close ups.

Spoiler

Untitled-7.png

Spoiler

Untitled-6.png

Spoiler

Untitled-5.png

Archived