Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why is there no option to pause download?

tprx

I was downloading the latest update (Heart of Deimos: Update 29.1.0), and the cache optimization (about an hour) and the download (another hour) kind of handicaped me in my choices of activities on my PC. Since there was no "pause" option, I had to let it ride, but it kind of brought into focus the fact that in 2020, your downloader might need a little re-engineering, or at least,, some thinking over. Like the fact that it doesn't offer the option to remember the password. I'm sure other players might have other suggestions.

Anyway, thanks for the game, and have a good one!

hace 1 hora, tprx dijo:

I was downloading the latest update (Heart of Deimos: Update 29.1.0), and the cache optimization (about an hour) and the download (another hour) kind of handicaped me in my choices of activities on my PC. Since there was no "pause" option, I had to let it ride, but it kind of brought into focus the fact that in 2020, your downloader might need a little re-engineering, or at least,, some thinking over. Like the fact that it doesn't offer the option to remember the password. I'm sure other players might have other suggestions.

In 2020 you should have a PC and conection that does not take 2 hours to install/download a update of less than 10gb ..... see what stupid is to use that argument ? .

2 hours ago, tprx said:

technically, you can "pause" the download by ... simply close the game, and when you decide launch it again it would start downloading from where it was, not from the beginning.

The game isn't a download manager, having an additional pause button with this behavior already happen under the hood isn't a good idea, player only need to encounter this once to understand it's safe to close the game while downloading

The optimize part is not skippable or stop though, but so does 2020 disk defragment afaik

2 hours ago, Yagamilight123 said:

In 2020 you should have a PC and conection that does not take 2 hours to install/download a update of less than 10gb ..... see what stupid is to use that argument ? .

Not everyone has access to top speed internet connection, or an ssd. First world countries might have it easy, but others don't. 

Justo ahora, tobiparty dijo:

Not everyone has access to top speed internet connection, or an ssd. First world countries might have it easy, but others don't. 

Then you wait ... blaming a company for your "not first world countries" (not even that ... a 100mb and SSD is far from being something that only can have people in first world countries .... 80-90% of countries have access to that for mid class people)  problems is the stupid part .

5 hours ago, Yagamilight123 said:

Then you wait ... blaming a company for your "not first world countries" (not even that ... a 100mb and SSD is far from being something that only can have people in first world countries .... 80-90% of countries have access to that for mid class people)  problems is the stupid part .

That's a nice way to insult yourself.

7 hours ago, FireSegment said:

technically, you can "pause" the download by ... simply close the game, and when you decide launch it again it would start downloading from where it was, not from the beginning.

The game isn't a download manager, having an additional pause button with this behavior already happen under the hood isn't a good idea, player only need to encounter this once to understand it's safe to close the game while downloading

The optimize part is not skippable or stop though, but so does 2020 disk defragment afaik

Wrong if you close the launcher, download will start at 0 again

11 hours ago, tprx said:

Uh.... because you need the updates to play the game. Many of them are literally content that is being added, and AFAIK the cache thing is to allow the game to remove and replace the files that you need to change to improve the amount of space that the visuals take up.

13 hours ago, Danielw8 said:

Wrong if you close the launcher, download will start at 0 again

what always start at 0 again is the "check for new content" process, not the whole download.

i know i was pleasantly surprise in the past for having it continue where it left when i needed to close the game downloading for work before (the big mainline update or one of those that have over 2gb to download, not remember).

then again, this could simply be some option that the dev can turn on or off for each update/hotfix from their side and we player can't confirm any of this, may be it have trade off we don't see, who know, but the behavior surely there.   

14 hours ago, FireSegment said:

what always start at 0 again is the "check for new content" process, not the whole download.

i know i was pleasantly surprise in the past for having it continue where it left when i needed to close the game downloading for work before (the big mainline update or one of those that have over 2gb to download, not remember).

then again, this could simply be some option that the dev can turn on or off for each update/hotfix from their side and we player can't confirm any of this, may be it have trade off we don't see, who know, but the behavior surely there.   

For me started from 0, at least this download, the other ones i have no idea since generally im ready in 5 min

Archived