Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe taking 51.8 gigs on 120 gig SSD

Killa_Byte

Question

my HD-SSD  is running low on space only 120 gig I do have a another mechanical HD hooked up but found I can't run the game off it maybee under steam but I really don't want to install steam, I can't optimize the drive because it's says I need 22 gigs when I start warframe to do so my guess a temp, file ? wish that optimize location needed could point to my other drive, so my last thing I might have to do is uninstall it and try to reinstall it, that will take the whole day or most of it any help would be great !!!!! 

22 answers to this question

On 2020-09-19 at 3:39 PM, Shalath said:

Windows 10 actually does this automatically for some reason and it doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't make any sense to everyone because it's bug. The intended auto defrag should be once a month should you turned on the option. A bug making the defrag to start whenever it wants as frequent as possible even on SSD without you turning on the option.

The bug started to appear in May 2020, heard a fix was released recently but there is performance bug targeting a few model of intel CPU in that patch... lmao

On 2020-09-19 at 12:27 AM, 32768 said:

As far as i'm concerned, optimization just makes a copy of the game, then replace og install with copy. So you need same amount of free space to do optimization.

Can you try to run defrag by any change? My steam install takes ~30 gig, not 50. Or as someone already suggested, you could redownload, but it's a lot of gigs :(

It requires less space after optimisation. The launcher doesn't delete useless files after updates. With each patches we get more and more trash stuck in the game files. Optimisation removes unnecessary items in the files making the whole game folder smaller. Anyhow, OP would need to spare a day for the game to reduce the folder size. There is no quick way to manually remove the useless space.

And for how SSD works differently from HDD, SSD doesn't require defrag

kinda found a solution since just deleted the shortcut launcher .exe  then the uninstaller gave me the option to install to the other hard drive and it did work butt some how when I moved the download folder i lost the launcher exe and I think the other 2 so next time Ill have to copy them files to a usb flash and pull it 

16 hours ago, Killa_Byte said:

how do you point the installer into he new location I see no option for that 

Hmm, you are right. DE have changed something it seems and the installer now just fires up the launcher. I think you will have to move the client, then uninstall and install to the new location and then do the same to move it back to your C:.

16 hours ago, Killa_Byte said:

my HD-SSD  is running low on space only 120 gig I do have a another mechanical HD hooked up but found I can't run the game off it maybee under steam but I really don't want to install steam, I can't optimize the drive because it's says I need 22 gigs when I start warframe to do so my guess a temp, file ? wish that optimize location needed could point to my other drive, so my last thing I might have to do is uninstall it and try to reinstall it, that will take the whole day or most of it any help would be great !!!!! 

This method may not work for Steam in case anyone asks but you can Google "Steam mover" to move Steam installs.

Locate your EE.cfg and you should find a folder next to it called "Downloaded". Create a new folder on your mechanical drive such as d:\Warframe\ and copy everything in the folder you found your EE.cfg into d:\Warframe\. Run the installer and point it at d:\Warframe. It will begin the "download" process but will skip everything because it already exists. Once done you can optimise this copy.

https://www.warframe.com/download

When optimised delete the Downloaded folder from your original location and copy the one from your D: back to the original location. Run the installer again and point it to the folder that has your EE.cfg which again should skip everything and point your launcher back to the old copy of the game. Finally delete d:\Warframe\.

I've transplanted the game client between machines multiple times using this method.

12 hours ago, Killa_Byte said:

you don't defrag a SSD 

Windows 10 actually does this automatically for some reason and it doesn't make sense to me. Check Properties->Tools->Optimise on your drive.

2 hours ago, 32768 said:

As far as i'm concerned, optimization just makes a copy of the game, then replace og install with copy. So you need same amount of free space to do optimization.

Can you try to run defrag by any change? My steam install takes ~30 gig, not 50. Or as someone already suggested, you could redownload, but it's a lot of gigs :(

Defragmenting doesnt add/remove from storage, just move the files around to make the HDD optic reader read sequentially, increasing performance.

2 hours ago, 32768 said:

you don't defrag a SSD 

how fast is your Internet connection? if it's fairly fast, it may be easier (or even faster) to redownload the game already updated than to update it locally.

i don't know why your install is so large, the game was ~43Gig before yesterday. might be a partial Download that is remaining there, or something.
anyways, you can't atleast temporarily free up some space on the Drive? like moving some other large Application temporarily and moving it back when you're done.

Archived