Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Male/female Frames Don't Need Seperate Powers.

BlindeyeInsight

In response to the "community hot topic" response to the request for alternate genders for Warframes. I don't see the logic in giving a new ability set to a reverse gendered Frame. There's nothing notably masculine/feminine about the way each Frame works. A male Ember would still throw fire the same way, female Rhino would still be just as invulnerable, female Ash would still be a ninja, and even a male Trinity would heal the same way. The gender choice should be a cosmetic one.

You've already set a great precedent with having a 50/50 split of male/female frames, without making gender an issue like in most video games. Don't stop there.

Outside of the sexism angle, creating a new ability set just for a gender swap sounds like a waste of development time. The swap request is really just asking for a new skin for the frame, not a whole new class. If you ever decide to go down the road of gender swap skins, do your programmers a favor and don't give them more work where it isn't needed.

I thought it was the other way around. that they felt it was waste of time just to reskin them instead taking the opportunity to add a variation of the existing frames giving us a bigger range of frames to chose from. nothing to do with x warframe is male/female and therefor can not do this or that.

do correct me if they said otherwise.

Yes they need diffrent powers for the sake of diversity. I still dont think they'll make the gender type warframes but if they do, diffrent powers would make them a w e s o m e.

I mean come on many of us must have seen the Female version of ASH maybe not an official design but its still awesome.

While i agree there are some things that needs to be fixed, they should be the priority for now.

But in the future i would like to see a female loki named Sigyn(Its the name of the Loki's wife means Glorious Girlfriend/wife for the lols check wiki or something)

Why would the powers of the Warframe change depending if the person wearing it has a hoo-hoo or a dong?

Makes no sense.

because the warframe as the name imply is an exoskeleton suit or some kind of organic/mechanic amour. the wearer of the suit can be a genderless gnome and the frame would still be male or female depending on what frame it is wearing.  as it is now we are tenno and as you noticed we can have many different warframes in our armory although we can only use them one at a time

Edited by Scorchling

because the warframe as the name imply is an exoskeleton suit or some kind of organic/mechanic amour. the wearer of the suit can be a genderless gnome and the frame would still be male or female depending on what frame it is wearing.  as it is now we are tenno and as you noticed we can have many different warframes in our armory although we can only use them one at a time

uhm... nope

The Tenno are remnants of humanity, just like the Corpus and Grineer. ASH's bulge is very much him and not the suit.

Edited by Brimir

Why would the powers of the Warframe change depending if the person wearing it has a hoo-hoo or a dong?

Makes no sense.

It's not the same Warframe anymore. They said the different gender warframes only share the theme with it original and it's completely different Warframe.

I actually don't mind the frames as they are.

I would rather have a new frame with different powers than a male version of say Ember or Saryn, it just wouldn't look right to have a male version now. 

But then you have the issue that comes with making different powers, it will attract those "Looking for something to find offensive" crowd, so if the male Ember is more powerful than the actual Ember it would be sexist as you are saying women are weak, if they made the male frame too weak the neck beards would be on complaining the same.

Its is a lose - lose IMO for what effectively adds nothing at all to the game. 

I have no issues using a female frame, and with the way the powers and look make up a lot of the frames personality I don't think I would play with a male Ember or Saryn, it would be weird & I think it may be kind of stupid looking when I imagine it.

I like the idea of different powers, its something all the frames should have with or without another gender, but I honestly can't think of a single benefit to adding gender swapping frames. (I actually think it would hurt the way DE have managed to create unique personalities for each frame purely by its look & powers)

uhm... nope

The Tenno are remnants of humanity, just like the Corpus and Grineer. ASH's bulge is very much him and not the suit.

uhm... nope what?

ofc I did not imply we are genderless gnomes riding in our warframes. whatever tenno are my point still stand. ASH is not a tenno, you are! ASH is a warframe and the warframes are suits we wear. that is the logic explanation. find me a quote that says otherwise and I'll agree with you.

maybe I'm the one who got it all wrong, who knows... anyone? is there a statement from DE somewhere?

EDIT: this is from the wiki

Warframe exo-armor uses unique combative technology to create the ultimate weaponry. The Warframes hold many mysterious powers and mastering one requires dedicated use.  

–Warframe Official Website

so I was right.

Edited by Scorchling

uhm... nope what?

ofc I did not imply we are genderless gnomes riding in our warframes. whatever tenno are my point still stand. ASH is not a tenno, you are! ASH is a warframe and the warframes are suits we wear. that is the logic explanation. find me a quote that says otherwise and I'll agree with you.

maybe I'm the one who got it all wrong, who knows... anyone? is there a statement from DE somewhere?

EDIT: this is from the wiki

Warframe exo-armor uses unique combative technology to create the ultimate weaponry. The Warframes hold many mysterious powers and mastering one requires dedicated use.  

–Warframe Official Website

so I was right.

I don't see what your point is...? ASH is the Warframe, but also the Tenno inside it. The Tenno inside it has either a hoo-hoo or a schlong. The powers of a Warframe has nothing to do with the person inside it; if a woman would wear the ASH Warframe she would get exactly the same powers as we have now.

Having different powers for the same Warframe would be moronic.

Edited by Brimir

uhm... nope

Oh okay you know everything about tenno even though no official info released about them and since you are making assumptions with Ash's "bulge"

Im out. Sometimes i hate this games forum.

I don't see why you guys want to keep things so stale, new powers means more ways to have fun and I am all for that.

That's why they add new Warframes.

Simply changing the gender of the person inside of the suit should have no bearing whatsoever of what the suit is capable of.

Oh okay you know everything about tenno even though no official info released about them and since you are making assumptions with Ash's "bulge"

Im out. Sometimes i hate this games forum.

I do know how it is. ASH's bulge is just my favourite example to illustrate this. Want the long explanation? Fine...

Originally you were supposed to be able to select a gender for your Tenno. The Warframes were just suits your character wore. This is why Nyx looks like Excalibur with boobs; she was supposed to be how Excalibur looked when equipped on a female Tenno.

However at some point in development they scrapped this idea; possibly because it would take up too much resources. What we have now is more like League of Legends; each Warframe represents a unique Tenno - like the Champions in LoL. It doesn't make much sense when you have multiple instances of the same Warframe, but as I said this was not the route DE initially aimed for.

That is why we have stuff like Mastery Rank. Mastery Rank makes no sense if you have a collection of different characters, but if you only had one it makes perfect sense.

Edited by Brimir

Makes no sense.

Begging the question.

The powers change. If they change when the person wearing the Warframe changes then either the powers come from the person, or the Warframe isn't the same.

Begging the question.

The powers change. If they change when the person wearing the Warframe changes then either the powers come from the person, or the Warframe isn't the same.

If the powers come from the person, why even bother with the suits? Everything points towards the powers coming from the suits themselves.

Ember is a Fire Warframe, so the powers are fire-based.

Frost is a Ice Warframe, so the powers are ice-based.

If the powers did come from the Tenno inside, then you could end up with a Frost using Ember's powers...

Some people want to play certain frames in certain genders.

Some people want alternate powers for frames.

DE are killing two birds with one stone here by introducing (or thinking about) alternate frame genders with alternate skill sets.

Also, as I understand it the skills will be interchangeable between genders. By this I mean that the male and fenale ember will have a pool of 8 powers to use. Powers wouldn't be gender locked.

I have no real urge to play a certain gender, but alternate abilities could be fun. It could also be a band aid fix for some abilities that are terrible (silence for example).

If the powers come from the person, why even bother with the suits? Everything points towards the powers coming from the suits themselves.

Ember is a Fire Warframe, so the powers are fire-based.

Frost is a Ice Warframe, so the powers are ice-based.

If the powers did come from the Tenno inside, then you could end up with a Frost using Ember's powers...

The suits must provide some kind of benefit then. Probably shield technology, but maybe each suit is personalized to be useful for each Tenno in some way.

For example, what if by freezing things using his innate power, Frost becomes really hot? (Like a refrigerator condenser coil.) His suit could be designed to help him use his power more efficiently by keeping him from spontaneously combusting.

What if Ember can manipulate fire, but not generate it? Her suit could ignite some fuel for her to play with.

The suits must provide some kind of benefit then. Probably shield technology, but maybe each suit is personalized to be useful for each Tenno in some way.

For example, what if by freezing things using his innate power, Frost becomes really hot? (Like a refrigerator condenser coil.) His suit could be designed to help him use his power more efficiently by keeping him from spontaneously combusting.

What if Ember can manipulate fire, but not generate it? Her suit could ignite some fuel for her to play with.

That's a solid theory, however you have to realize that the Warframes were initially conceptualized as being interchangable for one single Tenno. It definitely holds up in the current situation though, where each Warframe is a unique character.

Edited by Brimir

That's a solid theory, however you have to realize that the Warframes were initially conceptualized as being interchangable for one single Tenno. It definitely holds up in the current situation though, where each Warframe is a unique character.

That assumption is just a little contingent on trans-human Tenno fanon. Warframes have different body types.

Fitting Rhino inside Mag would be pretty tricky business.

That's great and all but aesthetic choices should not affect gameplay, so please let us choose gender/skillset freely.

Disagree. If you want +10 Charisma, you need to -10 Somethingelse.