Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Articles/references to what motivates F2P players to spend money?

(PSN)Silverback73

The Warframe Brand going back to 2015 for me was always about the power and beauty of combat seemlessly integrated with progress.  An enjoyable grind.

It was a simple triangular formula for world-wide success:  Warframe Combat with powers/weapons.  Choice.  Progress.

For that I rewarded DE.

PoE was fun for me.  It broadened the game’s horizons a bit and didn’t impact the Brand (admittedly as I see it).

But with each open world, it’s become harder to play.  The Brand has become a more purposefully compromised triangle/grind.

With HoD, I simply stopped for now.

Why?

If we had two choices (one being Combat), this would be moot.  Players like me are willing to grind combat to a timesink factor of x2, x5, or even x10 to earn rewards vs these brand-compromising modes now being forced upon us.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that I must be in the minority of those who make purchasing decisions as veteran who rewards for artistry and entertaining combat gameplay.  

I know business.  I’m just curious if information is out there that explains why DE is doing this and how it helps them hit their numbers.  

Maybe the brand is TOO successful.  A little...discomfort...in people’s grinds  loosens their wallets.

But I don’t pay to avoid a bad experience.  I pay to reward hard work that results in a positive one.  But maybe I’m in the less than 2% that is motivated that way and so am largely irrelevant for financial success.

Thoughts?

So you accept the grind and was fine with PoE, which on release held several of the largest grinds the game ever had, but got fed up with HoD, the objectively least grindy open world yet? Hek Deimos even launched with two combat alternative to its mining and fishing resources when it took almost two years for PoE to get Thumpers and OV didn't get Exploiter for about four months.

The only difference between Deimos and the other two open world is the requirement of 11 conservation tags and two Son tokens which themselves contain some alternatives for.

I wish that people would stop speaking in flowery generalities and just state what their precise problem is with some specific part of the game.

I'm sorry that "the Brand has become a more purposefully compromised triangle/grind" for you. I'm sure DE is going to take that feedback straight to the heart for next time.

Many people just wanted to rush to the Helminth and Xaku, and since they have to work for it like anything new in game, they're being dishonest and using the grind as an excuse. 

They can't actually come out and say "I want this now so give it to me" because they know there's no logic behind it. They have to watch everyone that no lifed the content enjoy the Helminth and feel left out because they still have a couple days of grind left to do.

In a month everything will be fine.

Just from personal anecdote, most people are either the type to drop nickels and dimes over a long period, or are full blown "whales" which spend money like water.

Usually it is things like cosmetics that bring in the largest chunk of money, in Warframe I'd hazard a guess that most of the new plat they get is for similar reasons and slots/catalysts.

I myself in minor laziness have dropped 5 bucks for a couple of slots once or twice in my time in Warframe, I've never made any larger purchase, instead trading and making smart use of coupons on Switch to get things on the cheap.

1 hour ago, sly_squash said:

I wish that people would stop speaking in flowery generalities and just state what their precise problem is with some specific part of the game.

I'm sorry that "the Brand has become a more purposefully compromised triangle/grind" for you. I'm sure DE is going to take that feedback straight to the heart for next time.

If you think my viewpoint is invalid and want to be cheeky for upvotes, more power to you.

I was curious as to how HoD incentives players, and how current WF players spending habits line up with mine in general.

I was concise but general to try and avoid “TLDR”.

I was attempting to start a discussion on how these open worlds create financial success.

As for “straight to the heart”, you might be right. My money/satisfaction might not matter at all to DE if the game has evolved to cater to a different type of player.   I’m fine with that.

15 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

I was concise but general to try and avoid “TLDR”.

"The game should be better" is also "concise but general" and "avoids TLDR".  So concise and general that is utterly devoid any substantive meaning or tangible takeaways.

Say precisely what you want to say. If it takes a few words to articulate precisely what you want out of this post, so be it. I don't mind a post that requires a TLDR so long as there's actual substance to be gleaned from it. Your gripes about DE violating the integrity of some nonsensical "triangular formula for worldwide success" you devised in the shower to impress your cat offers no actual insight into anything useful for anybody.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler. ~Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Thoughts?

There is nothing (little?) in the OP that is speaking to "spending money" in a F2P game. Instead, it seems to be a post about open world nodes and "grind" within those nodes?

The title asks about "Articles/references to what motivates F2P players to spend money?" yet doesn't seem to really be about this subject matter.

A quick search finds articles related to F2P but are more targeted toward mobile games. Still, the general concept of F2P may apply...yet the OP didn't seem to even bother to do this minimal amount of research to support this thread.

Link to empirical study on player purchases (free access to PDF as well)

Link to article about profiling the type of player that purchase items in games

Link to article about gamer "whales"

Link to PDF of a study on F2P model

Link to article on "good" F2P habits

Link to article about F2P dangers (focused on mobile games)

Link to article (2014) claiming only 2.2% of F2P players spend money (mobile game focuses again)

5 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

PoE was fun for me.  It broadened the game’s horizons a bit and didn’t impact the Brand (admittedly as I see it).

If the brand includes "okay grind" then PoE absolutely impacted the brand. On release, PoE had: Nested fish grinding (aka to get the next tier of fish, you had to catch the previous tier, which meant that if you wanted the best fish, you needed to farm every single fish leading up to it, with this being important because fish parts were necessary for most PoE content and also the best source of standing.) No alternative source of fish parts or gems for people who didn't like fishing or mining, no conservation for bonus standing at all, and on release didn't even have the bonus objective mechanic that later got ported in from Fortuna, so bounties gave less standing.

PoE was objectively the grindiest open world we've ever had. Heck, the nested fish grind broke me for years. In comparison, Fortuna and, yes, Deimos are much better grinds. Fortuna had most resources drop from crates, it had all fish spawn without bait, it had bait for standing so you can get the bait you want without having to grind other fish, and it made the good mining drill accessible early, instead of locking it behind faction rank 4 like the ostrons do, and on top of that it gave bounties an engaging bonus objective mechanic that helped make the standing grind go faster. All this on release. Then later we got exploiter and its fishapalooza. It should be telling that most of these features were backported from Fortuna to PoE. With Deimos, most of these good features were preserved and we even got the void pillars and iso vaults on release instead of waiting for six months for the second tranche of content to get a non-fish/non-mining source of resources like we did for the first two open worlds.

It's just the Deimos system is confusing and on release, the rank up requirements were bonkers. But DE fixed the latter rapidly, and players have slowly come to understand the former.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

If we had two choices (one being Combat), this would be moot.  Players like me are willing to grind combat to a timesink factor of x2, x5, or even x10 to earn rewards vs these brand-compromising modes now being forced upon us.

I don't understand what you mean here. We do have two choices, with one being combat. With void pillars and isolation vaults, both of which require copious amounts of killing, you can farm the resources necessary for almost everything on deimos. And honestly, you can do it more quickly than traditional mining/fishing/conservation. The sole exception is Son tokens, which you only need a handful of to rank up with. On release the avichea tag requirement was horrible, but DE axed it rapidly, and now you can get the tokens you need just by passively whipping out your tranq rifle whenever you happen to see a critter while doing other things.  There's still tweaks that could make things more player friendly, but at the moment Deimos is probably the most grind friendly open world, possibly tied with Fortuna.

Archived