Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plague Star

Voltage

2 minutes ago, Teoarrk said:

It comes from Doctor Tengus's labs. He is the go to guy for Infestation among the Grineer. He probably has more infested rocks then he knows what to do with.

Vay Hek needs one for his campaign on the plains? Sure, done, just don't bring it back.

The infestation existed in Orokin times and was spreading even back then. We don't actually know if this is a new strategy for spreading.

11 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Source?

Got one dude saying we know where it's come from, and then doesn't actually say where it's come from, vaguely making mention of it being underground now (it wasn't at first), and now you're saying it comes from somewhere you haven't sourced, because someone "probably has more infested rocks than he knows what to do with".

Is this a joke?

Alright, I decided to take a look at the Plague Star event wiki. It turns out that the boil is just from somewhere. Could be Deimos, Eris, or just one of the many other places that fell to The Plague during the Old War. 

It just seemed plausible that it was a FUBAR on the part of Dr.Tengus given that he awakened the Technocyte Virus and left many of his colleagues to die in the aftermath of Once Awake but it's just a mystery (oooOOooOOoo). It aligned with Vay Hek's plans to remove the Ostrons from the plains by force, so assumption became headcanon. My bad.

1 hour ago, Teoarrk said:

Vay Hek has connections with Doctor Tengus, the Grineer scientist responsible for the scientific FUBAR in Once Awake. There is probably enough Infestation around the system to not have to go to a place that was untraceable until very recently.

As far as we know the only "pure" infestation units come from Deimos and the phenomenon on Eris involves both a mad cephalon and a mad Corpus scientist's influence. I'd wager Eris has something happening for sure, but our only point of interest is Deimos. Whichever it is or isn't, Deimos's release BEGS investigation.

1 hour ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Oh so you just made it up and stated it as a fact. Okay, then...

Oh cry me a river, it's a video game where every statement you make is false after you say it because it got nerfed. "sTAtEd aS fAcT", go jump down AGGP's throat for stating solar rails would come back "as fact" or having a whole video showcasing Sanctuary Onslaught as "return of Dark Sectors". Do you know? No. Do I know? No. Since we're all ignorant, we know none of these back-n-forths are factual. Relax. Speculate.  

1 hour ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Uhhh what? Deimos was exposed to the infestation, just like the rest of the star chart. In most of the rest of the solar system everyone is now super vigilant and everyone pitches in to burn it off of their turf. 

Deimos got overrun, just like Eris. So I don't see much reason to to believe that either is more likely to be the source. Yes Lephantis bears a similar design, but Eris has a fleet of vehicles that could be turned into those infested meteorites that "just happen" to have such remarkable aim. And Eris was where both Arlo and Jordas seem to have evolved, perhaps it's a strain that seems to have opted to find alternative ways to spread. 

And there's always the mysterious "original source" to consider. 

Well Deimos is a little different, the infestation as we know it possess other factions in a sense, it takes over currently living tissue and infests it, but Deimos has "pure" units never seen elsewhere. Also, SPOILER, the many Orokin Scientists we call vendors that explicitly tell the story of how things popped off and never went back to normal is a major sign. ALSO as a point of COMMON SENSE, Deimos holds the open world, not Eris- which could just as easily have had it. We know open worlds get both bosses, lore and events. Keeping this in mind, it simply doesn't make sense for Plague Star to be coming from Eris. I understand citing Arlo, Jordas and Alad V as reasons to point towards Eris, but I see nothing unusual about its behavior from that perspective aside affecting a cephalon, child and scientist which are independently concerning/remarkable, but not the same as an infested planet. At present we can say Eris was overrun, but it's still a Corpus planet turned Infested derelict. Deimos is apparently the OG infested that are born truly infested without infusing itself onto the DNA of another creature. Taking the idea of infested birth vs infested infusion to Plague Star you can make an argument for both sides. Infested corpus units do spawn during that mission, but not on Deimos. I'd quickly chalk that up to spoilers and a lapse in attention to detail before calling it gospel. The other thing is Lephantis, which comes from the Derelict-now-Deimos and represents a mega fusion of all 3 factions. We can't begin to piece things together linearly with what we do know. All we can agree on is it's probably coming from Eris or Deimos and I'm betting Deimos.

1 minute ago, (XB1)DarknessZeref said:

Oh cry me a river, it's a video game where every statement you make is false after you say it because it got nerfed. "sTAtEd aS fAcT", go jump down AGGP's throat for stating solar rails would come back "as fact" or having a whole video showcasing Sanctuary Onslaught as "return of Dark Sectors". Do you know? No. Do I know? No. Since we're all ignorant, we know none of these back-n-forths are factual. Relax. Speculate.  

Calm down. How any of that has to do with you making up stories is beyond me.

Why not just add that you are speculating next time, instead of getting so salty.

2 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Calm down. How any of that has to do with you making up stories is beyond me.

Why not just add that you are speculating next time, instead of getting so salty.

5 minutes ago, (XB1)DarknessZeref said:

Do you know? No. Do I know? No. Since we're all ignorant, we know none of these back-n-forths are factual. Relax. Speculate. 

3 hours ago, (XB1)DarknessZeref said:

I'm thinking it'll be a bit different from now on. We used to wonder "Where is this giant infested mega cyst coming from?" Now that we know it's Deimos, but not specifically WHERE or WHAT on Deimos- I'd expect they're aware of that piece... but no one would be upset if they ignored all that and let it run as usual for the sake of its reward tables. Would love to see Plague Star on Earth be mirrored on Deimos to some "origin" effect. I plainly just want to understand Lephantis, see more variations of him and get a tab on the lore piece bringing it all together.....but also, forma. So I could go either way.

Actually, Khonzu assumed it came from Eris, which is another known stronghold of the Infestation.  Loid also makes a really quick comment to the effect that Deimos might have been hidden in the void the same way another moon was, and only dropped back into normal space because of the risk to the Heart.  Which makes sense both to hide it from the Sentients and as a last ditch effort to control the Infestation.  The Infestation is apparently terrified of the void for some reason.  Helminth's original dialogue had a few lines to the effect that it was extremely uneasy / unhappy if you entered its room as your Operator.

As to where the star comes from. Either Eris or some infested fleet somewhere in Sol, it does however not come from Deimos, which is infested with a particular strain of the infestation, the grey strain and we dont face those on earth, unless DE decides to retcon the strain we face there now that Deimos is out.

37 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

That doesn't answer where it comes from at all.

That's all the lore/story/developer based information we're given unfortunately, anything more is guess work on the part of the players unless DE decide to actually add something to the game that explains the Boils origin.

People can put forward their theories, but, that's all they ever will be unless DE decide to make it otherwise. I just provided the information as it's provided by the current lore of the event.

Konzo states that his uncles ship was struck by a boil whilst in the vicinity of Eris consuming it, but it in no way states anywhere that the boil that landed outside of Cetus originated from there. 

We know from The Jordas Precept that the Infestation can take over all of a ships systems including the controlling Cephelon, and from the Jordas Golem that it's quite capable of reforming itself into space going vessels, there is however no indication that that has anything to do with the Cetus Boil, or that the Boil itself was an infested ship. 

Deimos isn't mentioned anywhere for the simple fact that "Deimos" didn't exist in game back in 2017 when Plague Star launched for the fist time, but, it may be added sometime in the future. We don't know.

Simply put, outside of guess work and story crafting on the part of the player community we just don't know how any of this is linked to the boil that struck the Plains of Eidolon because Digital Extremes has never bothered to explain its back story. Maybe when/if we get the Infested portion of Railjack we'll have a "Stop the incoming Boil!" mission?

Currently, and I hate to say this, it's just a thing that happened, and pops back up every so often so we can farm forma from it.

I wish there was more.

6 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

Actually, Khonzu assumed it came from Eris, which is another known stronghold of the Infestation.  Loid also makes a really quick comment to the effect that Deimos might have been hidden in the void the same way another moon was, and only dropped back into normal space because of the risk to the Heart.  Which makes sense both to hide it from the Sentients and as a last ditch effort to control the Infestation.  The Infestation is apparently terrified of the void for some reason.  Helminth's original dialogue had a few lines to the effect that it was extremely uneasy / unhappy if you entered its room as your Operator.

We know the Void grants Operators immunity to the infestation, which is why the highly dangerous Helminth is subservient to us. I definitely see Eris's influence, I'd quickly say Konzu made the same assumption the entire system made at the time- as he has no way of being aware of Deimos either. Loid's comment about Deimos being hidden and how another place could be similar, I chalked up to foreshadowing of Lua for "new" players, but could definitely allude to an Eris infested moon to the same effect. 

The real message here is that [DE] opened up a can of worms with the Heart of Deimos, this update has so many implications on lore- it seems like a casual re-run of Plague Star would ignore these elephant-in-the-room questions. As much as OP's point is valid, we want PStar back real quick, I'm just as thirsty to know where it's coming from. Something spitting out a boil that big....what could it be? Has anyone questioned what might happen if the Deimos Wyrm's shot missed? We can go a lot of routes here and only 1 is right

15 minutes ago, Fl_3 said:

~snip~

None of this text adequately justifies your initial statement. By and large it contradicts it.

1 hour ago, Fl_3 said:

If you listen to Konzu at the beginning of the Plague Star event you'd know exactly where the Plague Star comes from.

No, we don't know exactly where the Plague Star came from.

2 hours ago, (XB1)DarknessZeref said:

As far as we know the only "pure" infestation units come from Deimos and the phenomenon on Eris involves both a mad cephalon and a mad Corpus scientist's influence. I'd wager Eris has something happening for sure, but our only point of interest is Deimos. Whichever it is or isn't, Deimos's release BEGS investigation.

Well Deimos is a little different, the infestation as we know it possess other factions in a sense, it takes over currently living tissue and infests it, but Deimos has "pure" units never seen elsewhere. Also, SPOILER, the many Orokin Scientists we call vendors that explicitly tell the story of how things popped off and never went back to normal is a major sign. ALSO as a point of COMMON SENSE, Deimos holds the open world, not Eris- which could just as easily have had it. We know open worlds get both bosses, lore and events. Keeping this in mind, it simply doesn't make sense for Plague Star to be coming from Eris. I understand citing Arlo, Jordas and Alad V as reasons to point towards Eris, but I see nothing unusual about its behavior from that perspective aside affecting a cephalon, child and scientist which are independently concerning/remarkable, but not the same as an infested planet. At present we can say Eris was overrun, but it's still a Corpus planet turned Infested derelict. Deimos is apparently the OG infested that are born truly infested without infusing itself onto the DNA of another creature. Taking the idea of infested birth vs infested infusion to Plague Star you can make an argument for both sides. Infested corpus units do spawn during that mission, but not on Deimos. I'd quickly chalk that up to spoilers and a lapse in attention to detail before calling it gospel. The other thing is Lephantis, which comes from the Derelict-now-Deimos and represents a mega fusion of all 3 factions. We can't begin to piece things together linearly with what we do know. All we can agree on is it's probably coming from Eris or Deimos and I'm betting Deimos.

Sorry, but none of what you're saying makes actual sense. We had plague star events before Deimos actually popped back out of the void. Eris was there the whole time, and presumably before as well. Recall that there were also Ostrons in one of those infested ships/planets, and Ostrons in Cetus. It's possible that the infestation took the information from there. Also if you pay close attention, Lephantis and the Haemocyte heads suggest that each is an amalgamation of Corpus, Grineer and, Infested Ancients, as you point out, but we have no way of knowing. The infested ancients have their own lore entry, and taken all together, aren't really novel in the way some of the Deimos fauna seems to be. (I say seems because we don't know what the progenitors on Deimos may have been and claiming that it's all novel is a stretch.)

If Eris is a dumping ground for infested vessels (Jordas and Arlo are proof enough of that) there's no real reason to think that the combination must be unique to the former Derelict.

Apart from this, we really don't know if there's anywhere else off in some hidden corner of the Oort cloud where some mining station (or multiple stations) may have had the same set of possible things for the infestation to encounter over the centuries.🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

None of this text adequately justifies your initial statement. By and large it contradicts it.

No, we don't know exactly where the Plague Star came from.

*sighs*

Konzu tells us that an infested meteor has hit the plains of Eidolon. This is where the the Boil comes from, this is where it enters the games lore. But, it doesn't tell us where the meteorite comes from now does it?

We know where the boil has come from, but we don't know "where" it comes from.

The boil is on the plains because of the meteorite, that came from space we know that. What we don't know where in space the meteorite started its life, so it's origin is still an unknown.

We know where the boil has come from, but not "where" it's come from.

If you can't understand this then I'm sorry.

I can't make it any simpler.

28 minutes ago, Fl_3 said:

We know where the boil has come from, but we don't know "where" it comes from.

Are you really this pedantic? The meteroid and the boil are one and the same, when people question where it came from they aren't asking where the boil came from looking for a "from the meteroid" answer. Saying "we know where it came from", despite knowing otherwise is decidedly disingenuous, and completely pointless. We don't know where it came from.

If you can't understand this, I can't make it any simpler.

3 hours ago, (XB1)DarknessZeref said:

Deimos holds the open world, not Eris- which could just as easily have had it.  At present we can say Eris was overrun, but it's still a Corpus planet turned Infested derelict.

Eris is a lifeless moon that can't hold an open world, what with having no atmosphere. It most definitely is not a Corpus world, it is surrounded by a Corpus ship graveyard, the Corpus have never operated on Eris as far as we know.

1 minute ago, (XB1)Rez090 said:

Eris is a lifeless moon that can't hold an open world, what with having no atmosphere. It most definitely is not a Corpus world, it is surrounded by a Corpus ship graveyard, the Corpus have never operated on Eris as far as we know.

You don't know that, need I remind that Venus is covered in snow who knows what Eris looks like on the surface

26 minutes ago, (XB1)Rez090 said:

If Eris isn't lifeless, then why is there not a single node set on the moon's surface?

DE didn't make nodes for it who knows why

Remember the place where Arlo meets Kenga on the first and fifth NW episode of the emissary, if you look where they are it's too open for a ship has rocky formations and from what Nora says It looks like it's Eris on the surface. 

26 minutes ago, (XB1)Rez090 said:

If Eris isn't lifeless, then why is there not a single node set on the moon's surface?

I would love for them to have an Eris OW with Dysnomia acting a sort of 'artificial sun' (read giant lightbulb) for the distant colony. Then again I'm biased because I've already written a story set on the dwarf planet during the Old War.

47 minutes ago, (XB1)Rez090 said:

1 hour ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Sorry, but none of what you're saying makes actual sense. We had plague star events before Deimos actually popped back out of the void. Eris was there the whole time, and presumably before as well. Recall that there were also Ostrons in one of those infested ships/planets, and Ostrons in Cetus. It's possible that the infestation took the information from there. Also if you pay close attention, Lephantis and the Haemocyte heads suggest that each is an amalgamation of Corpus, Grineer and, Infested Ancients, as you point out, but we have no way of knowing. The infested ancients have their own lore entry, and taken all together, aren't really novel in the way some of the Deimos fauna seems to be. (I say seems because we don't know what the progenitors on Deimos may have been and claiming that it's all novel is a stretch.)

If Eris is a dumping ground for infested vessels (Jordas and Arlo are proof enough of that) there's no real reason to think that the combination must be unique to the former Derelict.

Apart from this, we really don't know if there's anywhere else off in some hidden corner of the Oort cloud where some mining station (or multiple stations) may have had the same set of possible things for the infestation to encounter over the centuries.🤷‍♂️

Eris was, by far, the best guess we had before Deimos and now Deimos at least competes with the original idea. The real thing is that we're no closer to understanding the origin of Plague Star today than we were when it first released. The only other relevant detail no one has mentioned is the railjack-infested-raid that DE mentioned may or may not be happening. We don't know if it'll be staged in Eris Proxima, Deimos Proxima or some other place, or nowhere at all.

There's a 100% chance [DE] looks at this thread, gets a good laugh at our ignorance and drops PStar without explanation or lore implications. Guess we gotta just wait... 

Archived