Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion for New Player Experience: Flawed Warframes

(NSW)niniendowarrior

Hi,

As someone who is going through the new player content, I would like to suggest that DE maybe add Flawed Warframes that are weaker than regular Warframes but can be acquired and crafted in the Earth planet.  Having these Warframes accessible on the missions to the run up to Venus Junction will give new players more options and flexibility as far as their play style is concerned.  Putting the creation of these Flawed Warframes part of the quest logs so that players can venture beyond the starting 3 Warframes (Excalibur, Volt, and Mag) will give players some more variety in terms of play.  You could put in weaker version of some of the frames like Rhino, Trinity, etc.  Just thought to share that. :)

The new player experience is already pretty awful, especially if you picked Mag or Volt. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be if there were gimped versions of the starter frames.

The game only starts to pick up until you get some of the staple mods and manage to scrounge up enough Endo to level them up. Then the game becomes a cakewalk.

I personally am guessing that a lot of new players start and end with Earth and having to be stuck with a single Warframe only lets them see the game through just one kind of frame.  Yes, the starting frame aren't that good compared to Primes, but on Earth you literally only have that Warframe that you picked and nothing else to switch up on.

While I don't think flawed warframes would work, I'd like to see clans have an armoury/arsenal or similar which would accept donations of equipment that can be tested/trialed/checked out by clan members, with some restrictions on how, where or when (or how often) donated equipment can be used.

I disagree,

Plus What exactly is a flawed warframe?

weaker? how exactly? lower stats? lesser rank up? can only accept flawed mods? can only cast 2 of 4 abilities?

However, i woudlnt mind if some quests allow you to control a rank 30 frame (unmodded) for that mission to get a feel for the abilities and possible playstyles.

Like a hard coded SIM run so you can experience teh options before buying or building the frame so you know what you are getting.

6 hours ago, (NSW)niniendowarrior said:

I personally am guessing that a lot of new players start and end with Earth and having to be stuck with a single Warframe only lets them see the game through just one kind of frame.  Yes, the starting frame aren't that good compared to Primes, but on Earth you literally only have that Warframe that you picked and nothing else to switch up on.

You say it as if it take an eternity to clear earth, when it doesn't. It doesn't take long to start earning other Warframes, if anything, the earlier Warframes just need to be easier to get, as to not need several runs of the same assassination mission... but if enough people get annoyed and use plat to get them, it won't ever change.

sounds to me like this would just overcomplicate the system. as it is, you have vanilla and Prime frames: you ditch the vanilla for the Prime once you get it (unless you have plans for additional builds or something), adding another tier of frames, whether it be flawed or better than Primes, would just be completely unnecessary. Warframe is already a confusing and poorly-explained mess to the newly awakened Tenno, your suggestion would make the problem worse.

I understand your insights.  I firmly believe that Earth takes too long to get through and is the usual point where new players get confused and quit the game.  For those of you who stayed and understood the mechanics, this may seem unnecessary but I think, in much the same way as in Dragon Age Inquisition that the Hinterlands is the point of weakness and also the starting point, Earth is the same way with Warframe. 

However, it seems that the idea is unpopular so I get it too. :)

11 minutes ago, (NSW)niniendowarrior said:

I firmly believe that Earth takes too long to get through and is the usual point where new players get confused and quit the game.

However, it seems that the idea is unpopular so I get it too. :)

The new player experience (no, not that revamped starter mission, I mean the whole shebang) could definiltely do with a bit more thought, just that there are probably more effective solutions with fewer downsides.

12 minutes ago, (NSW)niniendowarrior said:

I understand your insights.  I firmly believe that Earth takes too long to get through and is the usual point where new players get confused and quit the game.  For those of you who stayed and understood the mechanics, this may seem unnecessary but I think, in much the same way as in Dragon Age Inquisition that the Hinterlands is the point of weakness and also the starting point, Earth is the same way with Warframe. 

However, it seems that the idea is unpopular so I get it too. :)

Some may not like the solution presented as they feel it would really only increase grind for newbies from their perspective, but you are on the right track identifying the problem, no doubt about that.

I don't think you will find many players disagreeing with you on the main issue: the new player experience is confusing, especially early on when you have to decide to get through the hideous early learning curve, or just give up. 

Hard pass.

Those crappy broken mods were bad enough, it felt awful owning them knowing you were using gimped mods. Not to mention, using gimped warframes early would severely kill my interest in continuing on.

It was the curiosity and desire to see what other frames are like that kept me going. Being able to play them so early would kill any interest I would have had.

55 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Some may not like the solution presented as they feel it would really only increase grind for newbies from their perspective, but you are on the right track identifying the problem, no doubt about that.

I don't think you will find many players disagreeing with you on the main issue: the new player experience is confusing, especially early on when you have to decide to get through the hideous early learning curve, or just give up. 

I think the amount of grind it adds is dependent on how easy (or hard) it is to craft them (for example, less material and less parts to build).  As the idea is solely focused on expanding the experience on Earth, I personally think that giving new players something to work towards while also getting them closer to the Venus junction and also learning about the abilities of other Warframes is a two birds with 1 stone kind of deal.  For vets, flawed mods for sure is a nuisance, and so would this.  But, I think for Earth dweller players, it'll be a different experience altogether.

Anyway, my two cents on the matter.

Archived