Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Xata's Whisper and Void damage

DrakeWurrum

I've been saying this since I first heard that Xaku would be able to deal Void damage... but it bears repeating, and I have yet to see a thread specifically stating the same thing.

Xaku's damaging abilities currently deal "Void" damage. In that it's Void... that isn't Void. Doesn't work on Eidolon shields. Doesn't kill Vomvalysts. Doesn't open the "secret" walls in Sentient anomalies. Doesn't work on Kuva clouds for Kuva siphon. And only resets Sentient resistances on status proc (instead of all the time, like with Amps).

This is a real mess. Inconsistency in game design is disgustingly ugly and does nothing but confuse players. Devs even knew this would be a mess going in and had to create special rules and openly tell us at Tennocon that it wouldn't work on Eidolon shields, knowing what an uproar there would be over it (despite Eidolons being old content that people easily cheese now). But this isn't better.

There's only one real solution to this: Xaku's damaging abilities should function like Revenant's Danse Macabre. Damage that adapts it's type to the enemy. This still fits in with his "Void" energy theming without actually opening up the can of worms that is Void damage.

For those wondering, this is what Danse Macabre actually does with damage type:

Energy beams autonomously adapt their damage type to the attributes of the enemies they hit: Corrosive b Corrosive against armored enemies, Magnetic b Magnetic against shielded enemies, and Gas b Gas against enemies with infested flesh.

It's not exactly ideal damage types, considering how Gas isn't too great these days, but I would rather see Xaku work this way than dealing "Void" (emphasis on the quote marks) damage.

Ironically, this would probably also buff the ability, since the latest hotfix changed Void to be neutral to all health types. Not sure if that means the ability would need adjustment, but it doesn't seem like it's more powerful than Roar anyways.

il y a 3 minutes, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 a dit :

Considering the fact that you’ll still want a Chroma and a trinity on your tricap squad. Those people will still want a good amp.

With helminith feature a Volt with roar and shock trooper is enough for damage/support unit.

14 hours ago, Voltage said:

If Xaku was able to bypass the Amp gimmick, then people wouldn't be essentially forced to get an Amp and use the Operator. 

I would rather see DE make Operator useful than try to pretend it doesn't exist.

7 hours ago, TurboWonka said:

Yea, i don't get either, his void damage SHOULD act like others, there the only reason is force people to grind amps.

Well. I see that as a slippery slope. They should either make it act like proper Void damage, or else have it work in a special way like Danse Macabre.

But the first option opens up a mess of potential design problems further down the road, which is why they've so far limited Xaku with his Void-that's-not-Void damage. If they're so damn afraid of it, they shouldn't have gone with Void at all.

DE needs to respect their own conventions, or the players feel cheated and mislead, the game feels even more like a mess with no coherency.  It doesn't function like void damage  = its not  void damage plain and simple. Don't mislead players.

And it's pretty easy to fix - just name it something else. There is already Tau damage vs sentients? - so just name it that.

Archived