Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Idea] The "Sensei" System

NoSpax

I got this idea while watching beginners on Twitch and noticed something.

The Community (mostly Vets) is really good helping new Tenno to get their bearings straight and teach them one or two things.

Why not add that to the game as a small, optional reward system? Let me explain, how that will work - though I am not good at explaining, so I am writing down the basics first.

Who qualifies as a "Sensei"?

- Every Tenno with a MR over or equal 10.

Who qualifies as a "Student"?

- Every Tenno with a MR below or equal 5, this includes MR 0. As soon a Student hits MR6, "Sensei-Mode" is lifted.

How to setup "Sensei-Mode"?

Both players need to be friends with first. Players invited over "Refer a Friend" are automatically qualified. Once they appear as Friends, the high MR Player who wants to be the "Sensei" of a specific Tenno, can send a request for "Be a Teacher". The recieving player gets prompted for that, I made a mockup.

Spoiler

Hbel9CJ.png

Sensei-Mode can be cancelled by both parties, for sanity.

How many "Students" can a single Sensei have?

Up to three. 

What are the Benefits for Students?

Glad you asked. Student Players get +25% on Ressource Drop, +25% Ressource Dropchance and +25% Experience added.

When they play with their Sensei in the same Mission, they also get +25% Damage added after calculation. (This value can be balanced later)

The mockup above talks about a "Student-Mod". I am not sure, if Warframe can support a kind of a "passive Aura-Sets". It would work like an Aura, but doesn't stack with another Sensei in the same mission, only his designated student. As a weapon mod, it would use 0 Capacity, have only a description and a (2 full) Set-Bonus of +25% Damage. The set is completed with the Sensei in the same cell, as he has a passive non-mod "Aura". Once that Tenno reaches MR6, this Mod breaks, similar to Requiem Mods and can either be sold or turned to Endo. The mod has no effect, when it is equipped and Sensei-Mode is lifted manually by cancelling using the Friendlist Menu.

What are the Benefits for Senseis?

"Tokens of Appreciation".

I am not kidding. These can be traded later for a couple of useful things, a Syandana, an Ephemera and a Sigil. 

These Tokens are mailed to you, if your Student passes a Mastery Test, clears a Solarrail Bridge and clears all nodes on a planet. The amount is based on the current MR of the Student.

Passing MR1 = one Token is mailed.

Passing MR2 = two Tokens are mailed.

Clearing Earth-Bridge with MR1 = Two extra Tokens

Clearing Earth-Bridge with MR0 = One extra Token

Clearing all nodes on Earth = One Token, regardless of MR.

As a small bonus, only a Sensei can join a Student on a Solarbridge, but is unable to use weapons, abilities - technically "Unarmed" as a bystander to watch. Chatting is allowed. This also fulfills the Damage Buff by passive Aura.

Something else?

Yes. The Student gets an Ephemera equipped, which shines brighter, the closer they are to their Sensei. Within 2-3 Meters, a ribbon of light appears both Warframes to visualize their bonds. The farming crystals on Deimos sometimes mark enemies with those, if you have seen them already.

Also, that Sensei's outline is highlighted through walls for the Student Player in the same color of the Ephemera.

This Ephemera gets unequipped and removed from the inventory, if both stop being in Sensei-Mode or the Student hits MR6. As a reminiscence, this Ephemera can be bought, but pulses and cycles through all colors of the rainbow at a slow rate. If this player has a Student, the color of the Ephemera gets fixed to the color of the ID of their bond and not added to inventory (it's there, you want two?) . The color of the Ephemera is decided by the unique ID of their bond (or how else does the game know, who belongs to who?) and can range from #000000 to #FFFFFF. Maybe it needs a few tweaks, so they have variety for every student not dull black every time. If a player is a Sensei already to another Student, the new Student gets the same ID and color.

Example: If a Sensei already has a Student with the color of Pink, a new Student will get Pink as well. If a Sensei has no Students, the ID/color is randomly generated once he gets a Student.

To get a new color.. You just need to stop being a Sensei and get a few new Students.

Questions, dear Reader?

I know, this has a few rough edges, if we can smooth them out, maybe DE can actually implement that.

The idea behind this was to improve "Refer A Friend", not just to give them free Booster, but also encourage both parties to play with each other.

Id rather have honestly genuine people like me do it rather than having a repeat of the guides of lotus were some are just in it for cosmetics(thats why I never applied back in the day). Also as you noted people are already doing this, so DE is better off adressing the burning issues the game has.

Also, would you guys mind beeing a bit nicer? its frustating to make a post and just get hit with a wave on dismissing oneliners.

I played a game that had something like this setup long ago.  It was called the guardian system.  You would register as a guardian and take on level 0 - 30 people.  (They picked who their guardian was)  you would then do activities with them and help out if they needed it.  While they had a guardian they received a exp buff.  After they got to 30 the guardian got a currency that could be used for potions or aid similar to affinity booster or resource boosters.

51 minutes ago, fastgamer2 said:

Also, would you guys mind beeing a bit nicer? its frustating to make a post and just get hit with a wave on dismissing oneliners.

Tell that to the OP, not the others, he quite legit painted a target on his back with how carefully he picked name of the topic. He chuold of called it something else like: "Guide System or Guardian Mode" 

You only bring it on yourself for calling it something after anime, hell it will be the same if I called it the "WuW system"

I can't deny words like "Senpai" are negatively based, due to some bad animes and memes overusing the f**k out of it. You all may know this "Notice me".

Yet, it's used in Japan as part of their culture.

Maybe "Scholar System" would have give it a little rep on the whole thing.

1 minute ago, NoSpax said:

I can't deny words like "Senpai" are negatively based, due to some bad animes and memes overusing the f**k out of it. You all may know this "Notice me".

Yet, it's used in Japan as part of their culture.

Maybe "Scholar System" would have give it a little rep on the whole thing.

Yeah, here is the thing Spax, no one cares about it's used in Japan culture, the internet exists and it has changed  words, meanings and culture viewpoints alike, it is how  Society works, simple words that had great meaning, for example the other word for "Happy" (we all kown what I'm talking about here) is now used as an slur and insult.

It will never work.

4 minutes ago, Synpai said:

I...wouldn't the "Sensei system" be more appropriate? Terminology aside I've played a few games with a system like this and it tends to be pretty hit or miss 

This is better.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Circle_of_Psi:

Yeah, here is the thing Spax, no one cares about it's used in Japan culture, the internet exists and it has changed  words, meanings and culture viewpoints alike, it is how  Society works, simple words that had great meaning, for example the other word for "Happy" (we all kown what I'm talking about here) is now used as an slur and insult.

Thank you for clearing that up. Already changed the name.

hace 2 horas, NoSpax dijo:

I got this idea while watching beginners on Twitch and noticed something.

The Community (mostly Vets) is really good helping new Tenno to get their bearings straight and teach them one or two things.

Why not add that to the game as a small, optional reward system? Let me explain, how that will work - though I am not good at explaining, so I am writing down the basics first.

Who qualifies as a "Sensei"?

- Every Tenno with a MR over or equal 10.

Who qualifies as a "Student"?

- Every Tenno with a MR below or equal 5, this includes MR 0. As soon a Student hits MR6, "Sensei-Mode" is lifted.

How to setup "Sensei-Mode"?

Both players need to be friends with first. Players invited over "Refer a Friend" are automatically qualified. Once they appear as Friends, the high MR Player who wants to be the "Sensei" of a specific Tenno, can send a request for "Be a Teacher". The recieving player gets prompted for that, I made a mockup.

Revelar contenido oculto

Hbel9CJ.png

Sensei-Mode can be cancelled by both parties, for sanity.

How many "Students" can a single Sensei have?

Up to three. 

What are the Benefits for Students?

Glad you asked. Student Players get +25% on Ressource Drop, +25% Ressource Dropchance and +25% Experience added.

When they play with their Sensei in the same Mission, they also get +25% Damage added after calculation. (This value can be balanced later)

The mockup above talks about a "Student-Mod". I am not sure, if Warframe can support a kind of a "passive Aura-Sets". It would work like an Aura, but doesn't stack with another Sensei in the same mission, only his designated student. As a weapon mod, it would use 0 Capacity, have only a description and a (2 full) Set-Bonus of +25% Damage. The set is completed with the Sensei in the same cell, as he has a passive non-mod "Aura". Once that Tenno reaches MR6, this Mod breaks, similar to Requiem Mods and can either be sold or turned to Endo. The mod has no effect, when it is equipped and Sensei-Mode is lifted manually by cancelling using the Friendlist Menu.

What are the Benefits for Senseis?

"Tokens of Appreciation".

I am not kidding. These can be traded later for a couple of useful things, a Syandana, an Ephemera and a Sigil. 

These Tokens are mailed to you, if your Student passes a Mastery Test, clears a Solarrail Bridge and clears all nodes on a planet. The amount is based on the current MR of the Student.

Passing MR1 = one Token is mailed.

Passing MR2 = two Tokens are mailed.

Clearing Earth-Bridge with MR1 = Two extra Tokens

Clearing Earth-Bridge with MR0 = One extra Token

Clearing all nodes on Earth = One Token, regardless of MR.

As a small bonus, only a Sensei can join a Student on a Solarbridge, but is unable to use weapons, abilities - technically "Unarmed" as a bystander to watch. Chatting is allowed. This also fulfills the Damage Buff by passive Aura.

Something else?

Yes. The Student gets an Ephemera equipped, which shines brighter, the closer they are to their Sensei. Within 2-3 Meters, a ribbon of light appears both Warframes to visualize their bonds. The farming crystals on Deimos sometimes mark enemies with those, if you have seen them already.

Also, that Sensei's outline is highlighted through walls for the Student Player in the same color of the Ephemera.

This Ephemera gets unequipped and removed from the inventory, if both stop being in Sensei-Mode or the Student hits MR6. As a reminiscence, this Ephemera can be bought, but pulses and cycles through all colors of the rainbow at a slow rate. If this player has a Student, the color of the Ephemera gets fixed to the color of the ID of their bond and not added to inventory (it's there, you want two?) . The color of the Ephemera is decided by the unique ID of their bond (or how else does the game know, who belongs to who?) and can range from #000000 to #FFFFFF. Maybe it needs a few tweaks, so they have variety for every student not dull black every time. If a player is a Sensei already to another Student, the new Student gets the same ID and color.

Example: If a Sensei already has a Student with the color of Pink, a new Student will get Pink as well. If a Sensei has no Students, the ID/color is randomly generated once he gets a Student.

To get a new color.. You just need to stop being a Sensei and get a few new Students.

Questions, dear Reader?

I know, this has a few rough edges, if we can smooth them out, maybe DE can actually implement that.

The idea behind this was to improve "Refer A Friend", not just to give them free Booster, but also encourage both parties to play with each other.

MR 10 ? is a "mostly vets" .... a MR 10 usually does not even know the more basic mechanics of the game (usually when i find one ... he does not even know how to "parkour/move" in a decent way ). As for the idea .... NO , if you want to help , help .

The only this would achieve its an insane amount of people using alt accounts to get those "tokens" and for that making DE speding time searching and banning those players ..

Mentor systems in video games by and large don't work like people wish they would.

They either become this clique of people who likely don't know a Braton from their butt or a bunch of people who just reek of this super-elite "Obey me because I am a god" stench

FF14's mentor system has either and/or both of those issues depending on the server, you're more likely to get an explanation from a random person on the road than some of the Mentor chats in FF14.

Archived