Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wukong's Defy ability symbol contains a Triple Spiral, also known as a Triskelion or Triskele and I'm curious to its significance.

Zahnny

One Helminth feature I've been wanting as a "Helminth Checklist" that we've essentially got now as of the most recent hotfix, under an "Incomplete" tab in the Helminth menu.

While looking at this, I was looking at the ability symbols and one of them stuck out to me, Wukong's defy. It contains a symbol I recognized, from a particular scene in the most recent God of War game.

50c45d1ed557e2ff8627bbf479b572cb.png

Scene for reference:

Spoiler

Logically, I put two and two together and assumed "Oh, that must be an Asian mythos God of War" right? Well I looked into it, and it turns out, the Triple Spiral is actually more commonly associated with Norse and Celtic cultures. But I don't appear to be too far off, if you look again at the preview image for the video above, it appears that the bottom left symbol is called a "Triple Tomoe" is actually the Asian one, apparently normally associted with Hatchiman, a diety considered their "God of War" so now I'm curious as to why Wukong, an Asian inspired frame has an ability that depicts a Norse symbol, instead of an Asian one.

I'm also interested if the outer part of the symbol means anything, it makes me think of a triple Ouroboros.

If there are any experts in this field that can shed some insight I'd be interested to read.

I suspect it's meant to represent nothing more than "spin", and I shudder to say this, but one of the more iconic "spinning" objects in the modern world is a fidget spinner.

It's interesting, if you look at old Defy it's icon is almost certainly that of a Phoenix due to it's meaning and it's usage as a part of Wukong's cap, but the Chinese Phoenix is not actually about rebirth and defiance in the face of death, but rather peace and balance. The Western Phoenix of rebirth originates from Greece.

As such, it's my opinion that this is simply artistic licence, as it was beforehand. Perhaps the outer ring is meant to be stylised after feathers, to keep with the Phoenix theme and it's tie to Wukong. The usage of 3 swirls could be due to the fact that Wukong can clone himself, and both himself and the clone perform a spin. Mirroring a single swirl could have worked, but the rule of 3 exists for a reason.

38 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Wukong does a spin when casting Defy.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, really?

:tongue:

30 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, really?

:tongue:

YYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Spoiler

HO!

mario.jpg

Archived