Last used mod config is not remembered when swapping warframes...

cz73

Unsure if this is an actual bug, but at the very least, it is poor game design considering how the latest content update is supposed encourage us to experiment with swapping frame abilities: In the arsenal's warframe upgrade menu, you have, by default, three toggle-able mod configs, labeled A, B, and C, unless you rename them. Config A, or the left-most config if you rename them, appears to be set up as the game's default, and currently, there appears to be either a bug, or very poor game design where, upon switching out one warframe for another, then going back to the first warframe, it forgets whichever config it was using, and reverts to the default "Config A".

This is especially problematic given that Helminth-infused abilities appear to be hard-coded to a specific config slot, and if you try to drag and drop a config containing a Helminth ability into the left-most slot, the configs will switch out, the mod loadouts will switch out, but the infused ability will NOT switch out.

An example of how the configs swap on their own following a frame swap, and how if you try to manually drag/drop to move your chosen setup into the "default" slot, the Helminth ability won't move:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LndwLJA2_qCQmy6tuz-EYcxDLYlyI3ra/view?usp=sharing

This makes it incredibly tedious to actually use the new Helminth system. You have to "know" from the outset which ability change you will like the best, and know to install it in "Config A" or else you will have to manually enter the arsenal and toggle to your preferred set up EVERY SINGLE TIME you swap warframes... This is hopefully a bug or oversight in how the game was coded. If it was intentional, then it is horrendously stupid game design. I've literally had to abort from missions every single day since I first infused that ability, because the game decided that I wanted to use my "Molt" config instead of he new setup I had INTENDED to use. We spend a crapload of resources to subsume a frame, then another crapload to infuse their ability on another frame. In my case, I also had to burn two forma in order to adjust my mod polarities so that I can fit my chosen mods on both builds. The least you could do is make sure that when I go through all that crap just to get ONE custom ability situated on ONE frame, I can choose to enable a config, and have the bloody thing STAY enabled...

A further bug: In the example I provided, the warframe I'm using is Saryn Prime. Her default "A" config is left alone (stock abilities) and Garuda's Blood Altar is infused to her "B" config in place of Molt. I labeled "A" and "B" as "Molt" and "Blood Altar", so it can be clearly seen that the configs are swapping out correctly when dragged/dropped. I also have one mod different in the two builds, with the Molt augment installed in that build, and since it is no longer relevant in the Blood Altar build (and cannot even be equipped), I installed Primed Continuity instead. When I drag/drop, the mods also move, or try to move, along with the config names. If I try to manually drag the "Molt" config to the right, the game royally screws up after it sees the mod set including the molt augment being moved onto a skill set where molt no longer exists. It uninstalls the molt augment, and for whatever reason, it tries to install Rejuvenation into the slot where the augment used to be, and then spams an error that I am trying to install an aura in a slot where it can't go... O.O

An example of this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16d5Yh8eqk2IFzjL2IlhPel2xrpHIP7CI/view?usp=sharing

TLDR: Fix the warframe configs so that the game always preserves whichever config you used last, or else let infused abilities move along with the rest of a config when you drag and drop them...

3 hours ago, cz73 said:

reverts to the default "Config A"

Well yes, because it's the default :P

You can use Loadouts if you want to quickly switch to a certain Config, accessible e.g. right there in Navigation.

If the game always switched to whatever you used last on a Frame, that would be incredibly annoying,
you'd need to (remember, for 40+ Frames lol, or) check everytime which Config you were actually on.

3 hours ago, cz73 said:

Helminth-infused abilities appear to be hard-coded to a specific config slot, and if you try to drag and drop a config containing a Helminth ability into the left-most slot, the configs will switch out, the mod loadouts will switch out, but the infused ability will NOT switch out.

On this however, I agree with it hopefully being a bug / oversight to be fixed soon.

"If the game always switched to whatever you used last on a Frame, that would be incredibly annoying,
you'd need to (remember, for 40+ Frames lol, or) check everytime which Config you were actually on." This is EXACTLY what I HAVE to do NOW. Remember whether or not I have switched to another frame since the last time I used my main frame (Saryn, the only one I have infused an ability to thus far), and if so, manually enter her upgrade menu and swap back to her "B" config. And yes, it is incredibly annoying, which is why I have posted it as a bug...

This issue has caused me to enter a mission with the "wrong" skills at least once per day ever since doing that first skill change, and that's for just one frame.. It would make for absolute chaos if I had infused skills the same way on the 40+ other frames in the game, and I am currently loath to even touch the Helminth system again until they correct this. The last thing I need is yet another little thing I have to micromanage before entering a mission.

The game normally PRESERVES the last setting you use, in every other aspect of your character customization, namely, the warframe, weapons, companions, vehicles, and mod builds. Whatever the last of those thing you used, the game remembers, and they REMAIN, until you intentionally go into the arsenal or the loadouts and swap them. The only parts that don't work this way, are the lettered configs in the frame upgrade menu (my problem here) and your default appearance. The appearance is a non-issue, since you CAN drag and drop your preferred appearance into the "A" slot, and all the underlying appearance data (skins, armor, color channels, etc) correctly moves during the drag/drop. Put your favorite look into the "A" slot, and it doesn't matter that the game defaults there. With regards to the mod configs, drag/drop does NOT work, since the config label and the mods move, but the custom Helminth ability is locked, and does not...

I LIKE my infused ability choice on my Saryn, and I WANT the config containing it to be the default that the game... defaults to... I CANNOT do that, because I made the mistake of putting the ability into the "B" config instead of the "A" config, and there is NO WAY to make the "B" config the default, or to slide the ability to the "A" slot, and the game is dead-set on reverting me to the wrong config. My Saryn is my main, and I currently have to rely on REMEMBERING whether or not I have swapped to a different frame since the last time I used her, and if so, I have to enter her arsenal and double-check her config every time I swap back to her.

My only recourse as of now would be to waste resources, by having Helminth remove the infused ability, then paying him more resources to infuse it onto the "A" config instead. While it's clear that DE made the Helminth out to be a resource sink, this is taking it to ludicrous proportions, since DE is already double-dipping our resources to subsume a frame and infuse an ability, and I hope to hell that my issue is an overlooked glitch, and not intentional...

This issue needs fixed. Either make the game preserve your config selection the same way it preserves all your other gear selections, make the ability move with your mods/config names when you drag and drop, or remove the cost involved in moving an ability between configs for a frame that has already paid for an infusion, so I can delete the ability from "B" and re-infuse it into "A"...

3 hours ago, cz73 said:

This is EXACTLY what I HAVE to do NOW. Remember whether or not I have switched to another frame since the last time I used my main frame (Saryn, the only one I have infused an ability to thus far), and if so, manually enter her upgrade menu and swap back to her "B" config.

But, you knew that you were not on Config B when you equipped Saryn at some point in the past, why did you not switch to B then and there?

Also, again, Loadouts exist, with a "B" Loadout you can easily make sure that your Saryn never switches to A ever again (on that Loadout).

3 hours ago, cz73 said:

it is incredibly annoying, which is why I have posted it as a bug

That's not what makes something a bug, though.

This is more Feedback territory if anything.

3 hours ago, cz73 said:

The game normally PRESERVES the last setting you use, in every other aspect of your character customization, namely, the warframe, weapons, companions, vehicles, and mod builds. Whatever the last of those thing you used, the game remembers, and they REMAIN, until you intentionally go into the arsenal or the loadouts and swap them.

Yes, if you intentionally go into the Arsenal and swap to a different Frame, you get the default Configs (A) for Mods and Appearance.

What you listed before there, is again simply how Loadouts work.

3 hours ago, cz73 said:

subsume a frame and infuse an ability, and I hope to hell that my issue is an overlooked glitch, and not intentional...

Like I said, same boat as far as that goes.

18 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

"But, you knew that you were not on Config B when you equipped Saryn at some point in the past, why did you not switch to B then and there?" Because people tend to be creatures of habit, and in 1300 hours of gameplay, I have gotten used to the idea of being able to change out a frame in three mouse clicks, not six mouse clicks... It used to be that from the main arsenal screen, I'd click the Equip button, then double click the frame I want, and be good. Now, I have to click equip, double click the frame, click upgrade, click the "B" config, and click exit...

"Also, again, Loadouts exist, with a "B" Loadout you can easily make sure that your Saryn never switches to A ever again (on that Loadout)." Interesting that you bring up loadouts. I DO use loadouts, and can confirm that swapping frames through a loadout does not toggle the config. In my opinion, this is yet more indication that this is a bug. Swapping frame through a loadout gives DIFFERENT results than swapping frames through the arsenal. At the very least, we're talking about a total lack of functional consistency between different parts of the game UI (loadout menu vs arsenal menu)...

"This is more Feedback territory if anything." Different parts of the game that should have the same functionality and DON'T, is, in my opinion, a bug. However, you, and DE, for that matter, can take it as critical feedback if you want. Either way, I think I've got a valid point...

"Yes, if you intentionally go into the Arsenal and swap to a different Frame, you get the default Configs (A) for Mods and Appearance." And once again, this would not be a problem, IF we had some way of making sure we could move the entire build, including Helminth abilities, into the default "A" config after the fact, without

"What you listed before there, is again simply how Loadouts work." Again, loadouts work, that's not the problem. It is swapping a frame using the regular arsenal menu that has the problem. Keep in mind, however, we also don't have unlimited loadouts. There are 44 frames in the game, and iirc, you can only obtain 20 loadout slots. Since you can also unlock additional configs for each frame with plat (a DEF config, iirc), if you wanted to infuse custom abilities on all of them, and dedicate a loadout slot to workaround the arsenal config glitch, that's 264 slots needed, 13x what the game allows. Something tells me that workaround is not feasible in the long run... If would make far more sense for DE to unify the functionality of both menus, and make it so the game remembers the last config you equipped, the same way it remembers the rest of the gear you equip (fixes the arsenal)...

Would you like it if every time you enter the arsenal and change warframes, the game arbitrarily decides to swap out your weapons, and default you back to your original Skana/Kunai/Braton? Of if you equip a frame, and the game blanked out all your mods, and you had to go into the upgrade menu and drag/drop every mod back into place? Because these two examples are parallels of the hassle I have to go through presently, taken to a worse extreme. The game has no issue leaving those aspects of your build alone, and it SHOULD have no trouble leaving your config alone as well...

Sadly, that's not the case...

24 minutes ago, cz73 said:

Swapping frame through a loadout gives DIFFERENT results than swapping frames through the arsenal.

You're not swapping Frames, you're swapping entire Loadouts.

It's two different things, there's no inconsistency, both work as intended.

26 minutes ago, cz73 said:

And once again, this would not be a problem, IF we had some way of making sure we could move the entire build, including Helminth abilities

And once again, yes, I agree.

29 minutes ago, cz73 said:

Would you like [...] a worse extreme

Dunno why you went there, comparing an annoying but relatively minor hassle
to a purely fictional example of pure fail, that doesn't really help strengthen your point / making it seem more reasonable. *shrug*

In any case, if it's such a problem for you, you could just, in the mean time before DE may or may not address this (inb4 SoonTM),
pay some resources to put Blood Altar on your A Config and be done with it.

Bring up Helminth swapping once more in a future topic if DE hasn't done anything about it yet, I'll stand with you again then.

5 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

"You're not swapping Frames, you're swapping entire Loadouts." I'll concede the point on loadouts, since they do work as a workaround to my problem, provided you can work around the limiatations on the number of loadouts you have available, which, I pointed out, is less than half of what you'd need to even put ONE custom ability on each of the game's 44 frames...

"It's two different things, there's no inconsistency, both work as intended" There are two different menus in the game that both directly involve the handling of warframe and other equipment changes. One of them (loadouts) handles configs one way, by preserving the one you set, and one of them (arsenal) handles them another way (forcibly defaulting you to config "A".

Inconsistent: Adjective: "Not staying the same throughout" ~Oxford dictionary

5 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

"Dunno why you went there, comparing an annoying but relatively minor hassle
to a purely fictional example of pure fail, that doesn't really help strengthen your point / making it seem more reasonable. *shrug*"

I gave other HYPOTHETICAL examples of unprompted changes that could happen whenever you use the arsenal to swap a frame, if they were handled the way that the game handles your config when you swap a frame. If you don't want to give an actual answer as to how you'd feel about my hypotheticals, that's fine.

Within the context of the entire arsenal menu:

-When you change a frame, the game does NOT change out your weapons.

-When you change a frame, the game does NOT change out your mods.

-When you change a frame, the game does NOT change out your companion.

-When you change a frame, the game does NOT change out your archwing.

-When you change a frame, the game does NOT change out your Archgun/melee.

-When you change a frame, the game does NOT change out your K-Drive.

-When you change a frame, the game does NOT change out your gear wheel items.

-When you change a frame, the game DOES change out your config.

How in the hell do you think that this behavior is consistent???

"In any case, if it's such a problem for you, you could just, in the mean time before DE may or may not address this (inb4 SoonTM),
pay some resources to put Blood Altar on your A Config and be done with it. "

Because on principle, I am not in the habit of paying for something twice. Do you go to McDonalds, pay for a burger, an then pay for that burger again?

"Bring up Helminth swapping once more in a future topic if DE hasn't done anything about it yet, I'll stand with you again then." I am not in the habit of spamming DE's website multiple times on the same issue. I brought it up here, since I believe its a bug, and they can respond or ignore their displeased customer as they see fit. I honestly don't give a damn whether or not YOU stand with me. I am arguing against a stupid limitation on how DE implemented infused skills to be locked to one lettered config, and are unable to move when you drag/drop to reorder those configs, in a place where I hope they notice my complaint and decide to do something about it.

Literally all that I want is for them to ease the restriction that makes an infused skill permanently bound to ONE config, and that when you reorder your configs, the skill moves WITH the one you put it on. Literally just pick whichever config you like the best, drag it to the left, and the game leaves it there until YOU decide otherwise. Switching game modes, to something where a different infused skill is better? Go into the arsenal, pick a different config, and drag it to the left, and the game leaves it there until YOU decide otherwise...

That one small change gives everyone, including you, more freedom and flexibility in customizing your game, and would have ZERO repercussions. I cannot fathom why anybody would argue FOR restriction and AGAINST flexibility in a product they use.

12 hours ago, cz73 said:

Literally all that I want is for them to ease the restriction that makes an infused skill permanently bound to ONE config, and that when you reorder your configs, the skill moves WITH the one you put it on. Literally just pick whichever config you like the best, drag it to the left, and the game leaves it there until YOU decide otherwise. Switching game modes, to something where a different infused skill is better? Go into the arsenal, pick a different config, and drag it to the left, and the game leaves it there until YOU decide otherwise

:thumbup:

12 hours ago, cz73 said:

That one small change gives everyone, including you, more freedom and flexibility in customizing your game, and would have ZERO repercussions. I cannot fathom why anybody would argue FOR restriction and AGAINST flexibility in a product they use.

... okay, seriously, how did you still not understand that I AGREE WITH YOU on that needing to be changed.

Archived