Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Simultaneous Platform Release For Updates Doesn't Work For Consoles

(PSN)Banned_On_Chin

Simultaneously releasing an update on all platforms sounds great in theory and good for publicity.

In practice Consoles are actually suffering from lack of timely hotfixes that probably would keep players playing instead of waiting for Xaku, Fishing, Isolation Vault, Conservation, and NecraMech Mod fixes to name a few things that PC already received. I myself am thinking of venturing out to other games.

One month after the Heart of Deimos update consoles are still waiting for basic fixes to Deimos. 

Bottom line Simultaneous Platform Release For Updates Doesn't Work For Consoles unless there are simultaneous HotFixes.

LOL.... DE can't win....

• Console players keep asking for 'simultaneous' releases (not to mention cross save and play) and moan when releases are delayed so the pc users can do the bug testing for DE before releasing a finished version on consoles....
  • Get a simultaneous release and console player(s) moan when they get to experience the bug riddled mess that pc users usually get to enjoy on release....

Yes I know it's more about updates after release but DE can only release updates at the speed that the console team and sony/ms validation can send them out (pretty sure there's a cost too) unlike on pc where they can just send out a fix, hope it works and doesn't break anything else (it doesn't always) and then move on to the next 'bug fix'

3 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

LOL.... DE can't win....

• Console players keep asking for 'simultaneous' releases (not to mention cross save and play) and moan when releases are delayed so the pc users can do the bug testing for DE before releasing a finished version on consoles....
  • Get a simultaneous release and console player(s) moan when they get to experience the bug riddled mess that pc users usually get to enjoy on release....

Yes I know it's more about updates after release but DE can only release updates at the speed that the console team and sony/ms validation can send them out (pretty sure there's a cost too) unlike on pc where they can just send out a fix, hope it works and doesn't break anything else (it doesn't always) and then move on to the next 'bug fix'

Nothing to add. There's really nothing they can do to win.

I'm totally fine with the updates before the simultaneous update things were just fine.

At least we knew what Consoles were getting.

With this update we received an update consoles would usually receive but with Bigger Needed Fixes that are Lasting Longer than previous updates consoles have received.

Only players using the Marked For Nerf ability are happy with the DElay in the hot fixes. 

I always advocated for "wait a bit, get quality" but I don't mind simultaneous releases either. Atm I'm neutral.

Some things to consider:

• "We" (consoles) asked for this.
  • "We" (pretty much all platforms, me included) asked for DE to stop using Tennocon as an hype-only event and start talking mainly about stuff that are near release. Open world, which is a huge update, being released on summer is the result. And with big updates there's always big bugs.
  • Even if DE did wait we'd likely get a month-old version of the update now when Xaku still isn't a desirable frame and needs further fixes. Helminth resources aren't even fixed on pc. We'd still get a "bad" update one month later, unless we waited 1.5-2 months for DE to iron everything out.

However DE does it, I'm mostly fine with it though. I just hate hyping stuff that'll take years to come. If it comes, if it doesn't get completely changed from the initial promise.

I do theorize that DE is doing these bigger and bigger simultaneous releases as a stress test for cross progression. If there's a chance it might become reality, and hoping console companies become more lenient on live service game by allowing more swift hotfixes, then by all means - I encourage DE to keep going in the direction they're headed.

vor einer Stunde schrieb LSG501:

LOL.... DE can't win....

Well - they could win. They'd just need better quality control than they have now. It's not like updates have to be the buggy mess they always are.

3 minutes ago, Krankbert said:

Well - they could win. They'd just need better quality control than they have now. It's not like updates have to be the buggy mess they always are.

Yeah, agreed on a certain level, but he still has a point. Namely, that the covenant between DE and the players was always that PC gets earlier updates but are basically the beta testers. 

Console has to wait but gets more finished product. Not saying this the best way to do things, just that it was the method for a long time. 

Then, enough console players complained that they didn't get to be the beta testers too.  Now, the smaller number who preferred just waiting for a less buggy experience are upset because they would rather wait. It's just a realistic commentary on how it can be really hard if not impossible to please everyone. 

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Tesseract7777:

Yeah, agreed on a certain level, but he still has a point. Namely, that the covenant between DE and the players was always that PC gets earlier updates but are basically the beta testers. 

Console has to wait but gets more finished product. Not saying this the best way to do things, just that it was the method for a long time. 

Then, enough console players complained that they didn't get to be the beta testers too.  Now, the smaller number who preferred just waiting for a less buggy experience are upset because they would rather wait. It's just a realistic commentary on how it can be really hard if not impossible to please everyone. 

"Covenant". Just listen to yourself. You act as if they're doing us a favor by saving on QA staff and using PC players instead.

Their quality testing is bad and the ease of patching and masochistic culture of PC players allow them to get away with it. That's all there is to it.

15 minutes ago, Krankbert said:

"Covenant". Just listen to yourself. You act as if they're doing us a favor by saving on QA staff and using PC players instead.

Their quality testing is bad and the ease of patching and masochistic culture of PC players allow them to get away with it. That's all there is to it.

I said "Not saying this the best way to do things", so maybe before telling me to listen to myself, you could read my whole post just once. As for your hangup on the word I used, that's just silly quibbling. It's just another synonym for an agreement or a deal, it came to mind over other words because I play Harrow sometimes, you are reading too much into that. 

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Tesseract7777:

I said "Not saying this the best way to do things", so maybe before telling me to listen to myself, you could read my whole post just once. As for your hangup on the word I used, that's just silly quibbling. It's just another synonym for an agreement or a deal, it came to mind over other words because I play Harrow sometimes, you are reading too much into that. 

Thanks for the condescending explanation, but I didn't disagree with you because I didn't know what covenant means. Here, for your hangup on the word:

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Krankbert:

"Agreement". Just listen to yourself. You act as if they're doing us a favor by saving on QA staff and using PC players instead.

Just now, Krankbert said:

Thanks for the condescending explanation, but I didn't disagree with you because I didn't know what covenant means. Here, for your hangup on the word:

I actually assumed you did know what the word means, that's why I don't understand why you are getting so hung up over it. And I don't mean to be condescending, in fact, I'm sorry if I come across that way. 

But I think it's rich you just told me I'm being condescending after telling me to "just listen to myself". 

What I don't get about synced releases, is, how does forcing PC to wait longer for a release provide a genuine benefit to anyone on console? Even for HoD, Switch got delayed and their lives didn't come to a sudden end.

It's not as if Warframe has crossplay where PC being ahead means when console finally gets the update there's less people to play with, each platform is stuck with itself, meaning, it doesn't matter if one gets updated at a different time than the others.

This just leaves the "they have it and I don't" attitude as the only actual reason for asking PC gets main releases delayed until DE is allowed to release them on console.

Either way, if they genuinely cared for any of this stuff, they would go marching on yelling at Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo for their structure that causes the staggered releases in the first place.

1 hour ago, Krankbert said:

Lets be honest, considering how many things DE seem to miss (bugs, dodgy/op ability or mods on release later being nerfed etc) that the players find in minutes after an update is released some  of us have been questioning if they even have a QC team checking the updates before release....

To be honest, this update has felt better then any other update as of recent memory. With regards to rate of hotfixes, the time ot cakes for major changes to get certed, yes we wait a bit more but its so much less time then we used to. Honestly, Id rather have simultaneous releases AS LONG AS the rate at which we get updates is similar to PC, which (until last week) was nearly the same time, if only a few days or so late. Also, we get to abuse some nice bugs here and there that PC cant do, such as the Son token bug. Fortunately none of the issues we have are gamebreaking for Deimos or the game at large, so Im fine with it.

Look at it this way, would you rather get the update the same time as pc, and wait an extra week or so to get it fixed, or wait almost a month or more to get content that you already know the ins and outs to because PC has had it for weeks already? I prefer the former.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

We" (consoles) asked for this.

I never asked for this - Adam Jensen - quickmeme

the way I see it, a simultaneous release is just trading one set of problems for another: sure, we get stuff sooner, so the problem of it taking forever to get an update is gone, but instead, we have to put up with more bugs. we can either have an update done fast OR we can have it done right: there is no middle ground, and no way of getting both, unfortunately.

that said, I fall in the camp of the old-school way it used to be: release for PC first, roll out fixes then throw the mostly repaired update onto consoles: that's the system I know, and the system I like, and to the less patient console players I say this: TOUGH SH1T! waiting the extra couple of weeks is well worth it when you're not losing affinity or resources all the time, or glitching out of the map. 

so yeah, I'd kind of prefer to go back to the way it was, but assuming that's no longer possible, then people had better brace for updates to be much slower and buggier than usual because of DE having to get things past cert. again, we can have it now OR have it fixed. pick your poison.

people wanted equality, this is what it looks like. not so pretty, is it?

If PC didn’t wait for console for HoD we would already have the update by August 17th or earlier. PC have and will always been a test platform for the consoles.

Okay impatient console players, you finally experienced what PC’s early access experience looked like. You still want to continue?

1 hour ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I never asked for this - Adam Jensen - quickmeme

the way I see it, a simultaneous release is just trading one set of problems for another: sure, we get stuff sooner, so the problem of it taking forever to get an update is gone, but instead, we have to put up with more bugs. we can either have an update done fast OR we can have it done right: there is no middle ground, and no way of getting both, unfortunately.

that said, I fall in the camp of the old-school way it used to be: release for PC first, roll out fixes then throw the mostly repaired update onto consoles: that's the system I know, and the system I like, and to the less patient console players I say this: TOUGH SH1T! waiting the extra couple of weeks is well worth it when you're not losing affinity or resources all the time, or glitching out of the map. 

so yeah, I'd kind of prefer to go back to the way it was, but assuming that's no longer possible, then people had better brace for updates to be much slower and buggier than usual because of DE having to get things past cert. again, we can have it now OR have it fixed. pick your poison.

people wanted equality, this is what it looks like. not so pretty, is it?

Fully agreed. It's all about reaping the consequences of what the community asked, be them good or bad. 

One of Playstation's major pulls for me is that fact that if it's there and I can grab it, I can rest assured the game will work properly. And that ends up trumping my desire to have the shiny new toys as they are released. Even if I'm mostly neutral about it right now. I guess if/once some consoles start breaking due to the bugfest PC usually has, maybe we'll have some guaranteed quality like before.

One another note I do love the fact that I have time to prepare for big updates by researching what PC has. I can check loot tables, best farming spots, I can farm existing resources before the update even hits, I know what to avoid and best builds for each new activity, and what not. With Deimos, even if still fun, I hated waiting for days for the Wiki to be updated, I hated the voice acting bugs Daughter had which disrupted the quest for me. I hated the Scintillant non-existence. The first time experiencing something new is very important to me, and if I have to wait to savour it then I choose to do just that.

7 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

If PC didn’t wait for console for HoD we would already have the update by August 17th or earlier. PC have and will always been a test platform for the consoles.

Okay impatient console players, you finally experienced what PC’s early access experience looked like. You still want to continue?

Yes, I have been loving the Deimos update, I loved how I got to experience something spoiler free and whiteout having to go radio silent from any platform like Youtube and Twitter to enjoy the update.

The bugs werent really game braking, did the quest just fine one first try and did the whole Syndicate in about a week and whatever resource change Helminth is getting Consoles will get it too. What you call "impatient console players" is just a small vocal minority that cant handle a couple bugs here and there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simultaneous release WORKS for Consoles.

In these 3 years of gameplay the one things that annoyed me the most was having to avoid everything Warframe related while Consoles are waiting 1-1.5 months for a update PC has gotten, just to either get myself accidentally spoiled and at the end of the day get a barely less buggy update that will still have 5 hotfixes and 1 cert together whit the fact that I wont be able to enjoy it first hand because its almost impossible to avoid spoilers unless you stop touching your Console and PC till the update comes.

In 3 years this was one of the updates I enjoyed most, not because it had better story or better things to earn, but because I got to enjoy it spoiler free like everyone else, I got to explore the whole world whit my own hands and not whit someone showing me the whole world map, I got to figure out the systems whiteout some guide already existing for them, I had fun.

If DE plans on always releasing major updates at the same time for all platforms, I dont mind waiting for Hotfixes and Certs, I want to experience the core gameplay at the same time as everyone, I want to find out game-braking bugs and hilariously broken bugs, I want to experience the game first hand, flaws and all, and Deimos gave me that.

Archived