Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

@ De - About The Codex And Some Other Stuff.

Oktalz

Hi.

First off let me thank you for coming so far with Warframe, being around from the start I´ve seen the game grow and it´s been quite the ride. I must admit that I have been absent from the game for a while about since patch 8 because I felt the game had come to a halt in terms of ideas and innovation.

I´m happy to see that it is back on track however.

Also glad to see that some of the ideas I had have been implemented into the game and some are still coming as it seems.

Not that the ideas were solely my own but there were others similliar to them.

So about the codex.

I love the idea of a place where you gather your progress in the game and keep track on everything from lore to mods and so forth. What I am not to crazy about is the way you described going about filling the codex. I know you have not set the method about how we are gonna do this in stone but I´d love to give you my 2 cents on how you could go about it.

First off scanning every enemy over and over and over and over will get rather repetitive just like it got repetitive for you to read the over and over really fast. The whole idea of scanning when it comes to lore is a different matter.

My idea about how to gather intel on the mobs is simply let the bar fill up as you kill the specific enemy type, you are still playing the game and encountering the enemy and gathering data. The whole process of snapshooting the enemy over and over is quite an annoying mechanic and would take away from the immersion of the firefights which is what you want to be doing. A smart game developer once said that "the less you take away the immersion of a player the better" Hideo Kojima about not using FMV´s rather than ingame engine for cut scenes. Imho the same applies to gameplay.

You should instead use the snapshot feature like a visor function from the Predators of the Alien franchise where you scout for runes and hidden text "florescant" or markings / symbols left on the different maps by either corpus/grineer or Tenno or any other lifeform not yet introduced to further your storyline. Let the players search for these and when you find them you get them added to the codex where you then can read about the lore or happenings on that specific planet and what transpired there. The possibilites for this are endless, you can even add rewards for finding the complete set of hidden messages for each planet, and when you want to further the story you can still add that story and text to the same planet making it interresting for people to revisit old locations. 

The codex can be even more fleshed out with video logs tied to the different text to give the story more life. You can have the classing a dude talking into a camera leaving his dying words for the universe to find or add short movies to show an epic battle which is story related (yeah Goeff and the animators will be busy).

You wanna go even further? You can in a way implement rewards for people who become top 10 players in events to have the ability to leave their mark on a planet/map of their choosing and after they have that very text will make their time in Warframe immortalised and added to the Codex for other players to find ie (2014, Corpus Invasion Event, Mark Johansson - insert message - position in ladder 5).

These are just some ideas I had and that sprung to mind after watching Live Stream 16 recap. Only took me 20min.

The idea is that these elements suit the hardcore player and the softcore player alike while tending to the core needs we all have, to have something to strive for without making it cumbersome.

-----------------------------------------------------

Off topic:

As far as involving the community, you should just rip off valves idea and call it a day.

There is no shame in it really, as it is a perfect way of involving people and it makes it easy for you to find out what is hot and what´s not. I´m speaking of the workshop. Let talented people have access to modify warframes appearances and weapon models and so forth. Then let them publish their work on your own workshop page and let the rest of the community upvote or downvote the work they made. It will give you a shureshot indicator on what items will sell for platinum and give the creators a cut for each time their creation sells. Everyone wins and you come out looking like the most caring developers ever (which you have proven long ago anyway). Still there are whiners who are never satisfied with the work you guys do and this way when something gets implemented from the workshop it´s the community who voted it through and you had nothing to do with the design. You will of course have some criteria that has to be met in terms of design so that it doesn´t break the immersion of the game (clown costume Loki running around).

Hit me back if you had time to read this and let me know what you think.

As always regards from Oktalz ( I usually stay away from the forums cause way back when alot of the ideas I posted got hated upon, yet you guys implemented alot of them "Scarfs, now changes to the melee system with animations for combos, adding more RPG elements, movies to add story, adding depth in terms of rescaling the damage system and adding elemental combos)

I´d just love to tell all those haters "I told you so".

Peace.

Edited by Oktalz

i'm fairly sure that design council and fan art section of forum covers your off topic.

As for main topic i like :D

Thanks mate, I´m a part of the design council but sadly we can not start threads there just reply to existing ones. I made this thread to highlight my thaughts. Pretty sure some part of my off topic idea has been touched upon in some thread at the Council just didn´t have the time atm to sift through so many pages of replies XD. Anyways, thanks alot.

Thanks mate, I´m a part of the design council but sadly we can not start threads there just reply to existing ones. I made this thread to highlight my thaughts. Pretty sure some part of my off topic idea has been touched upon in some thread at the Council just didn´t have the time atm to sift through so many pages of replies XD. Anyways, thanks alot.

no problem but take it with a grain of salt since i dont have access to design council ^^'

no problem but take it with a grain of salt since i dont have access to design council ^^'

That´s too bad, it´s a fun fact to be on the council. Still Warframe is shaped by the whole commmunity and not just a selected few, and that´s how it should be.

I am also for the idea of a "visor-thingie" handling the codex data instead of "taking snapshots of enemies" it would turn into another grinding element (and we have enough as it is already).

But if it is supposed to be a "grind" then at least make it a more varied type of a grind for instance with the upcoming implementation of achievements why not make it tied into them... Like "if you complete this challenge x you will unlock y versus this type of enemies".

I know there are a lot of completionists and achievement hunters out there, I have a tendency for it myself - if the reward is lucrative.

Edited by Sollet

I am also for the idea of a "visor-thingie" handling the codex data instead of "taking snapshots of enemies" it would turn into another grinding element (and we have enough as it is already).

But if it is supposed to be a "grind" then at least make it a more varied type of a grind for instance with the upcoming implementation of achievements why not make it tied into them... Like "if you complete this challenge x you will unlock y versus this type of enemies".

I know there are a lot of completionists and achievement hunters out there, I have a tendency for it myself - if the reward is lucrative.

Thanks for the input and basically that is also how I feel. There are ways to add rewards to the whole exploring aspect of the game that can be perfectly intertwined with the Codex functionality. Alot of people have a sense of completion and that is also a driving factor for many games that involve any form of grinding.