Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Multiple Accounts and Buying Plat

Sevek7

Question

Hi there! 

I've played Warframe for a long time, and I've heard a lot over the years about DE improving the "new player experience." I'm interested in experiencing this for myself, so I'm planning to make a second account. I know that there are some rules about having multiple accounts, things like you cannot trade between your own accounts, etc... So, just to be sure that I'm on the safe side, I will never trade anything with any players on my second account. Just to be sure.

However, I may still want to buy plat from DE to use in the in-game market to buy forma / catalysts, etc... So my question is: Does it violate the rules if I buy plat on two separate accounts? Especially if I get, for example, a 50% off coupon. It feels like it shouldn't be allowed, since hypothetically someone could make a hundred accounts, and log them all in every day to see what discounts they might get. 

Full list of my questions:

Is it safe to buy discounted platinum on a second account? Or do I risk having both my accounts banned for doing so?

If it's not safe to buy discounted platinum, is it safe to buy platinum only at full price on a second account?

Has DE put out a statement specifying the particular rules about platinum and second accounts somewhere? (please link it!)

Should I play it safe and just not make a second account at all? 

Thanks!

16 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Sevek7 said:

I've played Warframe for a long time, and I've heard a lot over the years about DE improving the "new player experience."

It's just a powdered up intro quest that you can play on your main account. It's not worth it to make a new account for it, but I guess if you want to play wf all over again...

hace 6 horas, Sevek7 dijo:

Hi there! 

I've played Warframe for a long time, and I've heard a lot over the years about DE improving the "new player experience." I'm interested in experiencing this for myself, so I'm planning to make a second account. I know that there are some rules about having multiple accounts, things like you cannot trade between your own accounts, etc... So, just to be sure that I'm on the safe side, I will never trade anything with any players on my second account. Just to be sure.

However, I may still want to buy plat from DE to use in the in-game market to buy forma / catalysts, etc... So my question is: Does it violate the rules if I buy plat on two separate accounts? Especially if I get, for example, a 50% off coupon. It feels like it shouldn't be allowed, since hypothetically someone could make a hundred accounts, and log them all in every day to see what discounts they might get. 

Full list of my questions:

Is it safe to buy discounted platinum on a second account? Or do I risk having both my accounts banned for doing so?

If it's not safe to buy discounted platinum, is it safe to buy platinum only at full price on a second account?

Has DE put out a statement specifying the particular rules about platinum and second accounts somewhere? (please link it!)

Should I play it safe and just not make a second account at all? 

Thanks!

You can buy plat in 1000 accounts if you want .... as long as you dont trade or interact between the accounts its not against the rules .

You might see players (either in-game or on various websites) offering special deals on discounted Platinum. Note that these Platinum sellers are not legitimate: please visit our website for a full list of authorized Platinum retailers.
Please also note that the in-game trading system is intended only for equitable trades between players, not for trading large amounts of Platinum between accounts. If you purchase your Platinum from a legitimate source, it will be deposited directly into your account ie you will not need to provide access to your account to anyone, nor will you need to make a trade to receive it.And while we are always happy to see how generous Tenno can be with each other, we strongly advise that you approach any deals that seem too good to be true with caution. If a player you barely know offers to ‘give’ you a large amount of Platinum in exchange for relatively valueless items, there’s a good chance the Platinum was not legitimately obtained (for example, it might have been stolen from another player’s account, or it might have been purchased using fraudulent credit card information).
If you have purchased Platinum through an unofficial 3rd party site or from another player, there’s a strong chance it was also obtained in the manner described above. Should an investigation find that you received Platinum from one of these fraudulent sources, it can and will be removed from your account. 

(x)

g. exploit the Software, the Service, the Game experience or any portion thereof for any commercial purpose, including without limitation, (i) use at a cyber cafe, computer gaming center or any other location-based site without the express written consent of Digital Extremes; (ii) for gathering in-game currency, items or resources for sale outside the Software; or (iii) performing in-game services in exchange for payment outside the Software (e.g., power-leveling and similar activities);
(x)

In addition to allowing you to purchase goods from our in-game store, Platinum can also be traded to other players, usually in exchange for rare Mods or other hard to get items. While we encourage you to engage in trading with other players, be aware of the EULA and Terms of Service where re-selling Platinum through trading is strictly prohibited and can jeopardize your account status..
(x)

Discounted rmt is against the eula for all online services.
No, you cannot exchange items or platinum between multiple owned accounts. For user experiences, a quick google might offer a fine selection of "I'VE BEEN BANNED" reddit threads. In fact, even having multiple of your own accounts in the same clan has been stated to be against the EULA due to the unintended benefits it can provide with resource funding.
For official answers, inspect the forums for staff replies.
A quick keyword search even provides a Support reply as the very first result - edited into the first post.

If you have multiple accounts, it's imperative that there is no interaction between any of your accounts. They cannot trade with each other, be in same clan, etc. This is extremely important to know, as any interaction between your accounts can result in punitive action.

What the community (and Support) would greatly appreciate is getting an easy-to-find FAQ that contains all of these account-related questions answered because a good amount of questions can only be comprehended once you dig into the legal documents and start translating its statements to see whether they can or cannot apply to your particular case. This very case being an excellent example. Other than contacting Support, you will not get a "straight answer" and most people will simply not go to such lengths, as we've seen many times in the past.
There were a few other sources of information we used in the past for similar inquiries, but they seem to have gone missing either due to the Forum or service updates. When it comes to legal information, updating missing links from said documents and the multiple official FAQs regarding the service is paramount. I'll see if something can be done since I'm sure people in charge of it are likely not even aware of it - as I wasn't, despite recycling these links multiple times without complaints.

For anyone interested in what DE staff had to say, they replied to my support ticket (and in record time, too!):

"While making alternate accounts to go through the new player experience is alright, unfortunately any accounts made to circumvent certain account restrictions is prohibited and is a bannable offense. Making completely independent accounts is acceptable."

I understand this to mean "as long as you don't trade or gift anything between your two accounts, there's no problem." Which as others point out above, I understand to be a measure against "coupon farming." 

2 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

Curious about which category you selected for the submission.

I chose "Update account information" since it seemed the closest... But they changed it to "Payment / Purchase Error" which I still don't think is really accurate, but I guess they have people who specialize in this area who know the ins and outs of plat purchasing in general, so it makes sense!

3 hours ago, taiiat said:

Gifting stuff to your other Account would also be fine.

To be honest I am doubtful. I believe they treat gift similar to trading. Any chargeback/ rules violated gift would be withdrew and have the accounts investigated.

Having said that, the cases I have seen people gifting alt accounts being investigated were when they bought plats with coupon. I think DE turns a blind eye on gifts that doesn't involve plat discount.

8 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

It's still against ToS to prevent coupon farming. Otherwise players would set up 20 alt accounts and have their alt accounts buy discounted plat and then gift them from that.

i covered exactly that(though in slightly lawyer-ey speak to not be over specific). if you're acquiring all of your Plat on one Account, you can spend it where-ever. 

17 minutes ago, taiiat said:

nor, for the purposes of having additional Accounts to be to bypass timegating or limited time offers.

if you're not making Financial transactions on multiple Accounts it is literally no different no matter how many Accounts you have, only one is making Financial transactions.

6 minutes ago, taiiat said:

consuming Plat isn't Trading - if you interpreted that as like Riven mules or such, that's not what i was thinking when i wrote that.
nor, for the purposes of having additional Accounts to be to bypass timegating or limited time offers.

buying stuff for Plat for another Account is just removing Plat from the game like it would be otherwise.
if you buy some Slots or a Cosmetic or whatever for another Account of your own, you're still spending your Plat the same way as if you spent it under any other circumstance. not to be confused with Trading Plat with yourself, or any Account limited tradable items such as Rivens.

sorry, you're right that my wording was vague.

It's still against ToS to prevent coupon farming. Otherwise players would set up 20 alt accounts and have their alt accounts buy discounted plat and then gift them from that.

37 minutes ago, KIREEK said:

No

consuming Plat isn't Trading - if you interpreted that as like Riven mules or such, that's not what i was thinking when i wrote that.

buying stuff for Plat for another Account is just removing Plat from the game like it would be otherwise.
if you buy some Slots or a Cosmetic or whatever for another Account of your own, you're still spending your Plat the same way as if you spent it under any other circumstance. not to be confused with Trading Plat with yourself, or any Account limited tradable items such as Rivens.

sorry, you're right that my wording was vague.

23 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

Thanks, Spicy! You're right, having a statement from them in writing seems like the best way to go in case things go south. I've submitted a ticket, will see what they say.

Miss you too, ever since Bramma came out I've played PvE 100% solo, and mostly playing with conclave friends these days anyway. I still lurk on the discord though :) 

Oddly, I haven't seen many, (maybe not even any,) alliance members using the Bramma when I group with them. I've been using the stahlta and the trumna, personally. 

yes, you can definitely make purchases in multiple places. if you're not Trading between the Accounts then you're not breaking the EULA/ToS Contract.
Gifting stuff to your other Account would also be fine. Edit:(can further readers of the Thread actually read the Thread instead of saying the same things that were already discussed thoroughly)

however, yeah having it in writing to protect yourself against decisions that don't follow what the official rules say is the safest avenue. the Consumer always has to take every possible measure to protect themselves from Businesses, in this day and age.

38 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

First off, hi! Miss you in chat!

Second, I'd definitely consult support, even with how long it takes them to respond. DE is so ban happy, I wouldn't risk it until I had documentation they said it was okay.

Thanks, Spicy! You're right, having a statement from them in writing seems like the best way to go in case things go south. I've submitted a ticket, will see what they say.

Miss you too, ever since Bramma came out I've played PvE 100% solo, and mostly playing with conclave friends these days anyway. I still lurk on the discord though :) 

Archived