Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Railjack not tutorialized?

Kaffeebohnson

I have spent agonizing days cobbling together the pieces of the railjack. They dont tell you how many pieces you need so I was hyped when I had three (as is the rule in videogames) - turns out you need five. So 12 more hours of waiting. 

The cephalon is spouting unintelligible lore while building, but now when it is finally ready, I am left completely in the dark on how to play??

I had to search for the entrance, search for the bridge, figure out how to start the damn thing, figure out how to steer, shoot some enemies - hull breach! Uh oh, what do I do now?? (Who even knows what that forge thing in the cellar is for)

Then the cephalon failed my mission on his own accord, taking my riven challenge of the past week (59/100 stealth kills without failing one mission) with him.

Thanks a lot! Super hyped to try this again! Not. I am so tired of having to watch YT tutorials and read up on the game on 3rd party sites just to play it.

They recorded a gazillion pointless lore lines for the cephalon, why couldnt they instead have him guide you through a single mission? Why is it always assumed that "players will figure it out"? This sucks!

some of the aspects like how to enter the Ship and start a Mission in the Dojo could have used some Waypoints, and a quick over things like the Tactical Menu and that the Omni exists would be a good idea...
but i also appreciate that while the game unfortunately still constantly yaps at the Player, that it does atleast let the Players go and play without the game having to be like follow the Waypoint for the first 5 hours.

though, some small lightbeams on interactable parts of the Railjack would be nice, since otherwise you're kinda just stumbling onto that "oh, i can interact with these random bits floating here".

Welcome to warframe. I'm sorry, not trying to be crass here but this is what the game's been like forever. I refused to use the wiki or watch youtube for like 3 years until I had to give in to understand all the hidden mechanics and stuff. They have been following this "when in doubt, make the players do it" mentality for a while and is outright hostile to people's criticism about their design choices until there's a proper uproar. Don't expect them to change or get better, not gonna happen.

1 hour ago, (NSW)Kaffeebohnson said:

I have spent agonizing days cobbling together the pieces of the railjack. They dont tell you how many pieces you need so I was hyped when I had three (as is the rule in videogames) - turns out you need five. So 12 more hours of waiting. 

The cephalon is spouting unintelligible lore while building, but now when it is finally ready, I am left completely in the dark on how to play??

I had to search for the entrance, search for the bridge, figure out how to start the damn thing, figure out how to steer, shoot some enemies - hull breach! Uh oh, what do I do now?? (Who even knows what that forge thing in the cellar is for)

Then the cephalon failed my mission on his own accord, taking my riven challenge of the past week (59/100 stealth kills without failing one mission) with him.

Thanks a lot! Super hyped to try this again! Not. I am so tired of having to watch YT tutorials and read up on the game on 3rd party sites just to play it.

They recorded a gazillion pointless lore lines for the cephalon, why couldnt they instead have him guide you through a single mission? Why is it always assumed that "players will figure it out"? This sucks!

DE made Warframe in such a way that players need to teach players how to play the game, because they don't bother unfortunately.

I have only good things to say about Warframe, its an astonishing achievement in every regard, but the complete lack of tutorialization is a real bummer.

I dont need handholding, but would at least *one voice line* about how this mode is *supposed to be played* really have been too much to ask? 

I just got back into the game, and I have to say this complete refusal of the game to be enjoyed has me completely put off again.

Why dont they ever get better with this stuff? :(

4 hours ago, (NSW)Kaffeebohnson said:

I am so tired of having to watch YT tutorials and read up on the game on 3rd party sites just to play it.

First Time James Franco GIF - FirstTime JamesFranco James - Discover &  Share GIFs

pretty much all of warframe is like this. the closest thing we have is if you press R2 in certain screens and it comes up with some text, but it's really vague, and it's usually for things like Foundry and Modding. if you don't have someone to go through it with you, you're gonna be spending some time on third-party sites.

do we want better tutorials? yes. will DE ever actually take heed and implement them? probably not.

Yeha RJ was unbaked and as usual DE can't do any tutorials or good progression, so the game remains borderline unplayable without guides. 

Its not that complex or hard sure, and everything is just copypasted from other systems, but the interface is 'blind' and some things like needing to pre-load even the repair ammo absolutely have to be directly told when you start your RJ.

They recorded a gazillion pointless lore lines for the cephalon, why couldnt they instead have him guide you through a single mission?

I assume they make presentation voice acting separately from gameplay, so they dont have everything pre-planned and set in stone, they can change gameplay stuff later and not worry about it contradicting the voice lines. Ideally they'd need to do another recording session later on with gameplay tips.

But now since RJ failed and almost no one plays it DE wont spend time improving it

5 hours ago, (NSW)Kaffeebohnson said:

If memory serves you can jump into it from your orbiter and just look around. The drydock is good for being able to kit it out, via the consoles. The first mission on Earth Proxima, is free flight so you can get a feel for your new toy before jumping into the mission. There are arrows on the ground pointing to the bridge. Every time you get near some to interact with a cue pops up. Cy is constantly telling you things about what you need to do. And yeah figuring out how the omni tool works can take a bit of a stretch. 

Also, it sounds like you not only got all the parts, but figured out almost all of the stuff that you are suggesting is near impossible to figure out. 

Maybe try doing a run as client instead of host, with a squad so you can see how other people are doing stuff? 

Cy could have given us a 2 minute tour detailing the different stations and what they do, a brief explanation of the forge, the archwing catapault and main gun and an admonition to fill the payload of your ship before going out would have made the world of difference.

What some call "the fun of figuring things out for yourself" I call "blundering around missing key things out and getting frustrated".

@(NSW)Kaffeebohnson

you are supposed to play railjack as a crewmember on other player's railjacks, before building your own

i didn't have any difficulty building my railjack and i never watched any warframe youtube videos, but just use my time to actually enjoy the game

as soon as i built my railjack i bought all the sigma mk3 stuff, i had almost all the avionics and needed dirac from playing railjack as a crewmember, and i just immediately went on to grind gian point without any problem

i see three problems with your approach

1. (probably) playing solo
  2. not tackling the challenges in the right order (you're supposed to figure the order yourself; what you are asking for by opening this thread is practically hand-holding)
  3. watching videogame youtube videos (it dumbs people down)

While I agree that the game explains things poorly, it has gotten better in terms of finding information in-game. There are Info icons in the lower right corner that can assist in many areas now, and you can mouse over stats to have a description of their function. There's also the TRAINING and MISSION tabs in the codex that have some light (i.e. barely useful) tutorials.

I would love to see the TRAINING and MISSION sections of the codex expand and have guided tours of the systems/objectives/playstyle. It sort of has one with Advanced Movement in TRAINING, so just have more of that... but better.

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Kahrain:

While I agree that the game explains things poorly, it has gotten better in terms of finding information in-game. There are Info icons in the lower right corner that can assist in many areas now, and you can mouse over stats to have a description of their function. There's also the TRAINING and MISSION tabs in the codex that have some light (i.e. barely useful) tutorials.

I would love to see the TRAINING and MISSION sections of the codex expand and have guided tours of the systems/objectives/playstyle. It sort of has one with Advanced Movement in TRAINING, so just have more of that... but better.

I have noticed and appreciated the tooltips as well. Those really are invaluable and a great addition. Tons of quality-of-life stuff has come online since I last played. Like I said, I have nothing but praise for Warframe, I think it is in a fantastic state these days. Nightwave especially ties everything together, making you engage with all kinds of content.

I am still baffled that the Railjack Quest concludes with the building of the spaceship, instead of guiding you through a first mission as a kind of victory run. It is just like "Here's your ship! Hooray. Whatever!" 

The mode also seems to suffer from the usual problem that the only reason to play it is to get better stuff for your ship, which you use to play it. Everything is islands.

12 minutes ago, (NSW)Kaffeebohnson said:

I am still baffled that the Railjack Quest concludes with the building of the spaceship, instead of guiding you through a first mission as a kind of victory run. It is just like "Here's your ship! Hooray. Whatever!" 

The mode also seems to suffer from the usual problem that the only reason to play it is to get better stuff for your ship, which you use to play it. Everything is islands.

Totally agree there. At least the archwing quest ends with you being dropped into the archwing so there's at least a small bit of 'this is the thing you got, now use it' moment that is lacking with RJ.

They added a fair number of archwing mods to RJ at least, so it's not as much of an island as it used to be.

RJ is my favorite mode in concept, and I super look forward to the addition of Corpus and Infested and <spoiler>-focused missions. (I'm staring at you Duviri Paradox)

Archived