PSA: Warframe DirectX 10 Support Ended

24 minutes ago, taiiat said:

professional recommendation to people is to have two Computers so that there can be a w7 Workstation so that they can have something stable if nothing else as a backup for the w10 machine

"Professional recommendation" "keep old unsupported Windows 7 machine with bunch of vulnerabilities as stable".

Yeah, no. You gotta pick only one option here -  be either professional or recommend outdated OS.

Edited by Javrendei
  • Like 4
45 minutes ago, taiiat said:

the differences between them are pretty major. DirectX 12 is still following the mantra of having a very guided approach to design/support, but giving a more direct access path to the Hardware.

Yep, DX12 is just DX11 including Mantel. But it's trully a lame to claim that your game is DX12 optimized when you just use same fonctions as DX11 without taking advantage of Mantel. That's why Kronos didn't include Mantel into OpenGL and create Vulkan instead.

45 minutes ago, taiiat said:

Vulkan is the most direct path available but most importantly it's a complete DIY kit. you have to do everything yourself. with great benefit comes great cost, and all.

All consoles use similar graphical APIs with few layers of hardware abstraction (useless on console since there are no more than 1 or 2 differents hardwares). On PCs, hardware abstraction is now transferred to the driver, meaning just 2 hardwares to support (AMD and nVidia). So there are no more difficulties than on consoles.

Edited by MacIntoc
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, taiiat said:

the differences between them are pretty major. DirectX 12 is still following the mantra of having a very guided approach to design/support, but giving a more direct access path to the Hardware.

Vulkan is the most direct path available but most importantly it's a complete DIY kit. you have to do everything yourself. with great benefit comes great cost, and all.

infact, Vulkan is completely cross compatible with any Operating System fundamentally since it doesn't interface with the Operating System hardly at all. you could run a game made in 2020 under Vulkan on a Windows 95 era machine aside from that there would be no Drivers to support it and the Hardware would be missing a lot of features that we take for granted nowadays. 
ultimately limited only by Hardware and Driver support.

- - - - - 

oooooof topic.

not even to mention that we're all still using a derivative of NT today for a reason, because.... it's a far better Platform that we had anytime before it.

assuming that everyone installed them, which more technically inclined users would not have.

both of these mobile Operating Systems do a fairly acceptable job of Permission restricting Software access to all sorts of features without approval. 
with some manual adjustment then Permission restrictions can be even more effective, at the cost of convenience.

the difference is that you can only mostly disable that in w10, not entirely. you can't just outright delete Cortana entirely (which is the Module that handles this data), it breaks the Operating System if you do.

plus the stability among other things is why my professional recommendation to people is to have two Computers so that there can be a w7 Workstation so that they can have something stable if nothing else as a backup for the w10 machine so that when it bricks itself temporarily once in a while or otherwise just doesn't operate in a fully usable fashion, one still has a system so that they can make a living instead of the blundering of big brother putting them into bankruptcy (or just losing their job or something) while they wait for the other system to be operable again.

You have quite a lot of knowledge on both OSes and graphics APIs, and thank you for that. It's made this discussion much better, imo. Just because I'm curious, what's your background? Professional experience with this stuff, perhaps?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MacIntoc said:

Yep, DX12 is just DX11 including Mantel.

and still sharing so much with DirectX 11 is exactly why it is so different from Vulkan.

2 hours ago, MacIntoc said:

On PCs, hardware abstraction is now transferred to the driver, meaning just 2 hardwares to support (AMD and nVidia). So there are no more difficulties than on consoles.

far from - there's still a wide range of Hardware to support, that may or may not support certain Instruction Sets, or otherwise behave differently when given the same instructions. both the Hardware and Software are exponentially more diverse, but that's not what i was getting at. Vulkan has no training wheels, in order to be fully hands on, well, you're fully hands on. you have to do literally everything, nobody is there to do some stuff for you automatically.
no computer assisted AutoManual Transmission here, it's fully Manual.
and not everyone is ready for or has the time for a fully Manual experience. on paper targeting Vulkan over everything else is a no brainer, you can support as many customers as physically possible, on any Platform - but like always, reality is a little more complicated than that, heh.

1 hour ago, Javrendei said:

"Professional recommendation" "keep old unsupported Windows 7 machine with bunch of vulnerabilities as stable".
Yeah, no. You gotta pick only one option here -  be either professional or recommend outdated OS.

yes, that's a professional recommendation. because i value what's best for the end user more than what's convenient for me to do the least amount of work for the end user.
i certainly don't suggest larger Businesses rely on older Platforms to function since they're a target, but end users are not a target and so they have a lot more options.
someday that can hopefully start shifting to having a machine running Linux as part of the recommendation, but until there is some sort of ecosystem somewhat comparable, efficiency of getting work done just isn't there. someday, though.

46 minutes ago, OniDax said:

Just because I'm curious, what's your background? Professional experience with this stuff, perhaps?

growing up when other children were playing Sports, watching TV, or playing with their Consoles, i was living in Computers - every day is an opportunity to learn more about Computers. my idea of passive Media entertainment is explanations in regards to computing that i could learn more about or may not know at all yet, or sometimes nerd humor.
both professional and hobby capacity. i have the same 'off time' interests as i do 'on time' interests.
my greatest regret is that there's only one of me so i have to pick areas to focus on, there are some branches of computing that i just don't have the hours in my life in order to pursue despite that i would wish to. 

i am boring, because Computers are anything but.

• Like 5

When that change is implemented, can we have the damage done from an earlier PSA remedied? Without an Adaptive Exposure toggle Warframe isn't secure for a lot of players right now.

P.S. can only agree to those points below. win10 boots into a BS if you really and truly disable all the messed up stuff that comes with it. it's a damn chimera instead of an OS. and I'm not yet talking about those self-destructive updates an average user can't even fix on their own.

3 hours ago, taiiat said:

assuming that everyone installed them, which more technically inclined users would not have.

the difference is that you can only mostly disable that in w10, not entirely. you can't just outright delete Cortana entirely (which is the Module that handles this data), it breaks the Operating System if you do.

plus the stability among other things is why my professional recommendation to people is to have two Computers so that there can be a w7 Workstation so that they can have something stable if nothing else as a backup for the w10 machine so that when it bricks itself temporarily once in a while or otherwise just doesn't operate in a fully usable fashion, one still has a system so that they can make a living instead of the blundering of big brother putting them into bankruptcy (or just losing their job or something) while they wait for the other system to be operable again.

Edited by Silescere
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

Or, that their hardware is perfectly capable but they have no intention of suffering a Win10 infection.

LOL, that's like "i read stuff on the internet and think the earth is flat" levels of tinfoilery there mate.
I hope you didn't use Chrome to navigate to this forum.

Edited by ReaverKane
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, ReaverKane said:

LOL, that's like "i read stuff on the internet and think the earth is flat" levels of tinfoilery there mate.
I hope you didn't use Chrome to navigate to this forum.

Um... no? Google are just as evil as MS.

I've been using Firefox for 15 years.

• Like 1

Just fyi directx10 is 12 years old!

even the cheapest ryzen 3 apus from amd comes with an integrated dx12 capable gpu and can run warframe!

I would still be using windows 2000 if I could arguably the best os Microsoft ever put out, but you got to move with the times or get left behind, just how things are!

ps:grumble gruble something do linux port!

Edited by _Anise_
  • Like 2

While I am sad for some players who might not be able to continue playing the game but am very excited for the incoming changes.

I would also request support for WarFrame to be able to run on Linux platform via ProtonDB or Wine. Currently, it tends to bug out a lot including various other crashes.

• Like 2
В 26.09.2020 в 01:02, [DE]Helen сказал:

On top of development and quality motivations, we want to make sure Warframe is stable and secure for players.

"Therefore, we will add a 29 GB file DirectX9 to the Cache folder. And at the same time we will break your hard drives with our super-duper disk space optimization, which you will do manually. And of course, for all your problems, only you are responsible, and only you are to blame. "
Excellent marketing.

• Like 3

I have a question about that: My computer has Windows 10, meaning it has DirectX 12 - the latest version - but my game in the launcher only shows DirectX 10 to choose. Those that matter or after the chance I'll still be able to play like normal?

I'm using a GeForce GTX590 on windows 8.1
When I accepted the change to DirectX 11 in the update, the game started to give problem... from time to time it stops working!!
So, I decided to go back to DirectX 10 and the game stopped closing and returned to working normally.

On 2020-09-29 at 3:39 PM, _Anise_ said:

Just fyi directx10 is 12 years old!

even the cheapest ryzen 3 apus from amd comes with an integrated dx12 capable gpu and can run warframe!

I would still be using windows 2000 if I could arguably the best os Microsoft ever put out, but you got to move with the times or get left behind, just how things are!

I'm using a GeForce GTX590 on windows 8.1 with DirectX 10 activated.  All works perfect!!!

All graphics options in HiGH quality...  shadows and lighting are excellent!!!

Let me see...  even so, do I have to change my system?!?!?

Edited by S0NGA
47 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

nope according to Wikipedia gtx 500 series supports directx11 you're good man 👍

You didn't understand my sarcasm...
I know it supports directX11, although I am having problems when I switch to DirectX11...  :(
What I mean is: If my machine with this card, windows 8.1 and DirectX10, it works perfectly and I have the graphics all at the maximum and perfect...
WHY I would need to change my system, even though it is over 10 years old!!!

Edited by S0NGA
change something that is working perfect, just because it's more than 10 years old, it doesn't make any sense!!

Guess ill commit Oof then :/

Edit: Oh wait, my PC has DirectX 11, but Warframe doesn't detect it or something? I have some games that run with DirectX 11, but I have Warframe with 10 and I can't change it ... I want to ask why that happens, but at this point I accepted my fate, but I would like someone to tell me their theory of why this happens

Edited by Piggie256
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Piggie256 said:

Guess ill commit Oof then :/

Edit: Oh wait, my PC has DirectX 11, but Warframe doesn't detect it or something? I have some games that run with DirectX 11, but I have Warframe with 10 and I can't change it ... I want to ask why that happens, but at this point I accepted my fate, but I would like someone to tell me their theory of why this happens

Whats your graphics card ? Maybe is that you have only sw DX11 support from operating system and not hardware support 

• Like 1
On 2020-09-25 at 10:06 PM, 16Bitman said:

When you stopped supporting DirectX 9, you also stopped support for Windows XP.

Are you going to continue supporting Windows 7 in 2021?

upgrade bruh... my entire pc is 8th gen and i can play heavy duty games on max settings like a buttered toast. you are like 7 yrs behind in pc specs, but DEVs cant support old tech 4ever bruh. time to enter the future fellow Tenno 😳

• [DE]Helen changed the title to PSA: Warframe DirectX 10 Support Ended
  • [DE]Helen unfeatured and unpinned this topic