PSA: Warframe DirectX 10 Support Ended

33 minutes ago, JCD89 said:

Just want to point out that many people rather install Linux distro then let Win10 control their PC, so devs should think about supporting at least one popular distro like Ubuntu or Steam OS when they decide to take out DX11 support "for stability and security".

That is an excellent point, considering some DX12 enabled games still don't get full performance under DX12 yet, and many times its better for stability to switch back to DX11. I know it would be a jump, but the same could be said for abandoning DX11; switching over to Vulkan or similar might be ideal if such a path is taken.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Am 3.11.2020 um 08:20 schrieb LuciusPhantomhive:

So if i cant upgrade my graphic card before januari 2021, i cant play warframe anymore? Im using an old laptop but unfortunately it didnt support dx11.

Yes. DirectX 10 is 14 years old. It's time to move forward.

Edited by Qamelion
  • Like 1
On 2020-09-26 at 12:33 AM, Rottert said:

I've been playing since the very beginning. Got on board with a beta key and never lefted. I got along with dx9 support discontinuing. And kept playing. I got along with open world  features on 12 fps... Freakin' optimization. I got along with a lot of Features. And now you inform me guys I won't be able to keep my tenno journey just because I don't have freakin' money to buy a new graphic card. That's awesome. Warframe was the last playable game for me(for a long period of time), and now the journey ends. I have one more year, but it's not a big deal. I'm sad. I'm confused. That's all what I feel now. I made a lot of neofit guys succeed on their first steps on their tenno path. Helped a lot of people. Enjoyed the community. I know it sounds like an old person tearing complaining, but that's all i have left now.RIP.

On 2020-09-26 at 2:18 AM, LadyRebecca said:

If the needs of this game outway what i can afford in this pandemic etc, then i will have to stop playing and lose all the money and hours spent on it.  Its a shame but im not spending hundreds just for a game when that has more important uses.  DE should be aware people are struggling and keep specs within realistic paramters IMO

My Radeon RX 5500XT was $200 after shipping and taxes ($189 base cost on Newegg). That's not expensive in terms of GPUs. Upgrade it and join the rest of us.

On 2020-11-24 at 2:06 AM, LordOfWar666 said:

People DX11 is 11 years old and all the GPU´s with 10 years old works better with DX11 than DX10. The only chance on better performance on direct 10 is a bad driver impletentation and this is a problem of Intel, AMD or Nvidia not DE. Remove support of DX10 is the way for a better performance on multicore systems, and I´m not talking of the latest ryzen or Intel procesor, I´m talking about the first generations of Intel I5\I7\I9 or Phenom and AMD FX.

The problem of intel, AMD, or Nvidia? It seems like DX11 Warframe being the only thing that crashes my Graphics card would be a DE problem since nothing else crashes using DX11. Warframe DX10 is running significantly better for me right now.

• Like 2
hace 15 horas, Sasuda dijo:

The problem of intel, AMD, or Nvidia? It seems like DX11 Warframe being the only thing that crashes my Graphics card would be a DE problem since nothing else crashes using DX11. Warframe DX10 is running significantly better for me right now.

Yes is a fault of a bad drivers, what games are you playing and what are you computer specs?

On 2020-12-05 at 6:11 PM, LordOfWar666 said:

Yes is a fault of a bad drivers, what games are you playing and what are you computer specs?

It is possible I guess, I haven't tested DX11 games extensively, but I've only had issues with DX11 Warframe like I was saying.
My computer specs are nothing special, I'm waiting on a chance to grab a 3060Ti so that's why my graphics card is old. My graphics card isn't getting along with it I'm 95% sure.
GPU: GeForce GTX 670
CPU: Ryzen 3600
Mobo: ASUS Tuf 540
RAM: 16GB GSkill FlareX
SSD: Western Digital SN750

The games that I know use DX11 that I've tested with are Civ V (not all that useful I know but I wanted to get an idea of whether it may have been my CPU), Skyrim, Farcry 3, Darksiders, and Dark Souls. And some Emulators. I likely have others that I could test with if I look into it like Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Mortal Shell, ReCore, etc. 

hace 4 horas, Sasuda dijo:

It is possible I guess, I haven't tested DX11 games extensively, but I've only had issues with DX11 Warframe like I was saying.
My computer specs are nothing special, I'm waiting on a chance to grab a 3060Ti so that's why my graphics card is old. My graphics card isn't getting along with it I'm 95% sure.
GPU: GeForce GTX 670
CPU: Ryzen 3600
Mobo: ASUS Tuf 540
RAM: 16GB GSkill FlareX
SSD: Western Digital SN750

The games that I know use DX11 that I've tested with are Civ V (not all that useful I know but I wanted to get an idea of whether it may have been my CPU), Skyrim, Farcry 3, Darksiders, and Dark Souls. And some Emulators. I likely have others that I could test with if I look into it like Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Mortal Shell, ReCore, etc. 

Your graphic card is very good but old, however 670 is more powerfull in DX11 that DX10, I think that nvidia is giving bad support or none support to your GPU arquitecture (but I´m not 100% sure), or maybe is a Warframe related but is strange, maybe any of DE can answer the question.

By other hand, a DE stuff in the DX12 post is saying about a performance update that is comming soon for DX11 and 12. 

I have a Pc and specs that make it run whatever.  I am always sad when older drivers are no longer supported.  Because many work a lot better then the new drivers.

But then again at this point....there should not be a need for support if they work.

if you are discontinuing the usage of them though....that is kind of sad...the newest drivers are actually fairly sloppy and not that good.

The newest ones keep forcing companies to come out with new things like PhysX or Raytracing because the newer drivers optimize and eliminate certain functions that those new things end up having to put back in.

• Like 1
On 2020-12-05 at 5:04 AM, Sasuda said:

that sounds like a scenario where a clean install of Video Drivers or even reinstalling Windows is advised. it sounds like your Software is a mess at this point, and so stuff doesn't work correctly.
while it may potentially be quite the hassle, all of your games will probably gain performance, as a result.

4 hours ago, PsychicKitty said:

I am always sad when older drivers are no longer supported.  Because many work a lot better then the new drivers.

if you're referring to Video Cards that are Categorized as Legacy at this point and their last officially supported Video Driver was many years ago, then certainly. however, that is not exactly a normal scenario.

On 2020-12-09 at 5:55 PM, taiiat said:

that sounds like a scenario where a clean install of Video Drivers or even reinstalling Windows is advised. it sounds like your Software is a mess at this point, and so stuff doesn't work correctly.
while it may potentially be quite the hassle, all of your games will probably gain performance, as a result.

Been there, done that for drivers unfortunately. Like I was saying I really haven't seen issues outside of Warframe, so I genuinely don't think this is a case of Windows 10 or anything I would think if I've run plenty of other programs without issue it seems pretty unlikely my Windows 10 is installed incorrectly. And yes I've also tried reinstalling Warframe. When I looked through error logs I'm pretty sure it said something about a missing shader. Which I would guess to be a Warframe installation problem, but I've reinstalled several times.

En 25/9/2020 a las 22:02, [DE]Helen dijo:

To these ends, Warframe will be ending DirectX 10 support in January 2021. We’ll continue to keep you posted as we approach this change!

Seeing the problem that have consciously caused by Nvidia and miners with the recent lack of stock of decent graphics cards, have you considered the possibility of postponing a bit the support 'blackout' to DirectX 10?

I am currently subsisting with an emergency graphic card as there is no stock of high or mid-range models in any store. It would hurt to have to purchase a overpriced low or ultra-low-end card, just to not have to stop playing while Nvidia and Ati restocking the market.

Thanks for your understanding. Greetings and stay safe.

• Like 1

Too bad I had to say goodbye to the game because I don't have a PC and my notebook only has Dx10.
3 years lost, 50,000 PLs lost and all my nights played to collect 
everything for end-games lost, but as here everything is perfect maybe the DE, and presents with a Basic Pc Gamer So that I continue to invest.
Otherwise, I'm sad to let go of my best time.
I say goodbye to the DX11 guys!

Edited by -01-
  • Like 1
On 2020-10-02 at 12:57 AM, S0NGA said:

You didn't understand my sarcasm...
I know it supports directX11, although I am having problems when I switch to DirectX11...  :(
What I mean is: If my machine with this card, windows 8.1 and DirectX10, it works perfectly and I have the graphics all at the maximum and perfect...
WHY I would need to change my system, even though it is over 10 years old!!!

You don't?
Most likely you need to update some drivers or something for it to work, since your card and OS have DX11 support.

Heard a unfotunate rumor that DE is cutting win7 support in january, had only heard of the Dx10 thing though, realllllllllllllllly hoping they arent just going to kill off win7 support with no warning, and that that was just a rumor...
As others have said, why not add support for a popular distro of linux? Not all pc players want to have to deal with the garbage fire that is win10.

On 2020-12-09 at 4:55 PM, taiiat said:

if you're referring to Video Cards that are Categorized as Legacy at this point and their last officially supported Video Driver was many years ago, then certainly. however, that is not exactly a normal scenario.

yes and no....new drivers are being designed to do what is already on many video and graphic cards already even intel started putting many of the things on graphic cards and sounds cards on their own chip sets(mmx was the start of it).  Which encourages the creators to make things that do not work very well.  And it also ends up making many drivers ten times bigger then they used to be and not run as well as they become bloated independent programs causing conflicts.

3 hours ago, PsychicKitty said:

yes and no....new drivers are being designed to do what is already on many video and graphic cards already even intel started putting many of the things on graphic cards and sounds cards on their own chip sets(mmx was the start of it).  Which encourages the creators to make things that do not work very well.  And it also ends up making many drivers ten times bigger then they used to be and not run as well as they become bloated independent programs causing conflicts.

the Driver is the head for the Expansion Device, it cannot do the entirety of its job on its own. it's due to the nature of the way Computers have been built - the Expansion Slot based Graphics Device is positioned as an accessory, rather than the staple core necessity that it is today. an ATX legacy.

Video Drivers are getting huge because of the millions of games and thousands of Graphics Devices that they need to support with one download. plus other Software that the vendors like to create for their Products, some of it helpful API's, some of it just bloatware. but even without the bloatware like GFE, your Video Driver would still be roughly 300-350Meg thesedays, because there's just that many Graphics Devices and games, that the Driver needs to have predefined information for.
and that predefined information gets updated many times over the life cycle of Generations of Graphics Devices.

On 2020-12-16 at 8:51 PM, FOVZERO said:

I am currently subsisting with an emergency graphic card as there is no stock of high or mid-range models in any store. It would hurt to have to purchase a overpriced low or ultra-low-end card, just to not have to stop playing while Nvidia and Ati restocking the market.

i have to sortof doubt this, since DirectX 11 supporting GPU's came to the Consumer market in September 2009. anything since then supports DirectX 11. there's lots of quite good more recent options that fill this need, as well. you don't have to buy a 2020 GPU to get a very good GPU, after all.

Edited by taiiat
hace 13 horas, taiiat dijo:
En 17/12/2020 a las 2:51, FOVZERO dijo:

i have to sortof doubt this, since DirectX 11 supporting GPU's came to the Consumer market in September 2009. anything since then supports DirectX 11. there's lots of quite good more recent options that fill this need, as well. you don't have to buy a 2020 GPU to get a very good GPU, after all.

You doubt me... Do you take the liberty of calling me a "liar" and giving me a history lesson? All for free and because you feel like it. Fantastic!

So according to you it is impossible that I am currently using an "EMERGENCY" DirectX 10.1 graphic card, also from 2009, which is serving me as a temporal fix, because it is enough to run all of my daily needs, including Warframe.

Since you like data so much, I suggest you look at the market and update yourself a little, since for about a month there is not only a lack of stock of 2020 cards, but of cards from 2016 onwards. That is the problem that I exposed to them in my previous message.

Be that as it may, as long as you offer to pay for everything, I have no problem in using a low-end card, one of those that you claim to be such good options.
In case you have no intention of giving it to me, please refrain from making such extremely superficial value judgments, as they lowers you to the level of a mere troll.
It is very easy and cheap to tell other people what to do with their money.

Without acrimony.
Have a nice and safe day.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FOVZERO said:

So according to you it is impossible that I am currently using an "EMERGENCY" DirectX 10.1 graphic card

no, only pointing out that being unable to find a more suitable GPU seems dubious, since such a wide swath of GPU's would be suitable and GPU's from the past few years would all perform quite nicely.
but obviously regional availability differs.

that's all.

Edited by taiiat

Even well cared for, the devices break when they have to, and in an emergency we take from our drawer what may be useful temporarily.

At no time have I said that I cannot find a better graphic card than this one. What I am saying from the beginning is that due to recent events, "at this moment" only low-end cards are availables, at exorbitant prices for what it offers and it is. At least in my region.

Can I pay for something like that and at those prices? Of course.
I'm going to do it? I doubt it. I will surely wait for Nvidia/Ati to replenish stock.
You won't see me looking for an RTX 3090 or RX 6700, but if I'm going to invest a certain amount of money, at least I want a mid-range and not be ripped off by the store.
No more mystery.

Nor do I think it was such a crazy suggestion/request.
I just tried to tell DE staff about the current situation, nothing more.

Anyway, I do not think it deserves to continue diverting the thread; in the first message I already asked what I wanted, and we're not going to solve nothing, because the current situation is what it is, and it is something that we cannot change.

Greetings and stay safe.

• Like 1

The fact that after this, the game won't even run on a GPU like GeForce GTX 295 but will be able to run(I mean  crawl) on a Intel HD Graphics just because of Dx11 support is crazy. I'll never understand how making the game run on *less* systems is beneficial to it's development. As a free to play title, the game should be accessible on as many computers as possible. Also, pathetic chips like Intel HD Graphics *DO* run faster while in DirectX 9 or 10 mode, even if they support DirectX 11. Funny.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-12-22 at 4:52 AM, Vanythe said:

The fact that after this, the game won't even run on a GPU like GeForce GTX 295 but will be able to run(I mean  crawl) on a Intel HD Graphics just because of Dx11 support is crazy. I'll never understand how making the game run on *less* systems is beneficial to it's development. As a free to play title, the game should be accessible on as many computers as possible. Also, pathetic chips like Intel HD Graphics *DO* run faster while in DirectX 9 or 10 mode, even if they support DirectX 11. Funny.

DX10 is very very old. And at this point very few people have a PC that supports only DX10.
Validating for one more, niche DX slows down the workflow for updates and since it is not widely used makes harder to pinpoint bugs, making troubleshooting and fixes harder and more time consuming.

Less DX support is better from a development support, and they probably would have cut it much sooner if not for the poits you make, that is a free game and benefits from running on as many specs as possible.  But in 2021 its at the point of diminishing returns (same effort to benefit every day fewer people), with dx12 to be supported aswell, something has to be cut.

They probably have internal statistics, and probably they know they are losing less than 1% playerbase (that is still not insignificant) but they might cut development and fixing times by a greater margin, and that is supposed to benefit everyone else but those few people with a non DX11 gpu

• Like 2
  • [DE]Helen changed the title to PSA: Warframe DirectX 10 Support Ended
  • [DE]Helen unfeatured and unpinned this topic