PSA: Warframe DirectX 10 Support Ending (Jan 2021 Est.)

Changes are coming to Warframe’s Minimum Supported Specs that will affect Tenno running DirectX 10. We hope to give you as much notice as possible!

In 2018, we announced that Warframe’s minimum supported specs were changing with an aim to make full use of the robust capabilities offered by DirectX 11. We want to make sure Warframe’s development is never limited, especially when we consider future DirectX versions. Adding visual features like Deferred Rendering to our ever-evolving game and supporting new optimizations are possible because of these changes!

On top of development and quality motivations, we want to make sure Warframe is stable and secure for players. Graphics-card manufacturers have long-since discontinued driver-updates for DirectX 10-class cards as they focus on more modern hardware. Systems that are up-to-date and supported by the companies that make them meet our security needs.

To these ends, Warframe will be ending DirectX 10 support in January 2021. We’ll continue to keep you posted as we approach this change!

• Like 41
7 минут назад, 16Bitman сказал:

When you stopped supporting DirectX 9, you also stopped support for Windows XP.

Are you going to continue supporting Windows 7 in 2021?

aint that like an issue for Windows Vista or smth? Windows 7 should have DirectX 11 support

Edited by SilentMashiko
also im pretty sure there's dx11 for vista as well
  • Like 15
6 minutes ago, SilentMashiko said:

aint that like an issue for Windows Vista or smth? Windows 7 should have DirectX 11 support

Vista had an upgrade that could run Direct x 11 which makes sense since the differences between Vista and Windows 7 are very small. A very good point though, I wonder if it would be possible to put in more support for Linux Wine or something going forward if Win 7 gets discontinued as well since Win 10 isn't an option for folk that want privacy.

• Like 9

Yea, I mean .... nobody can expect to play "modern" games with only DX10, so I don't think that's a big deal.

I am very excited when devs say "Optimizations", there are many devs that completely don't care about optimizations in their games, all they care about are skins, batlepass stuff and any other ways how to make money, meanwhile their games are running terribly, yet they still make money, sad.

Optimizations always first !

GIRHUu9.jpg

Edited by -FrutyX-
  • Like 9
7 minutes ago, XCanG said:

I agree with discontinuing support of DirectX10, however I wondering if you have plans to add support for Vulkan?

I second the second part. I'd really like to see Vulkan support added to PC after DX12.

• Like 18
1 hour ago, Urlan said:

Vista had an upgrade that could run Direct x 11 which makes sense since the differences between Vista and Windows 7 are very small. A very good point though, I wonder if it would be possible to put in more support for Linux Wine or something going forward if Win 7 gets discontinued as well since Win 10 isn't an option for folk that want privacy.

I get why you don't want to use Win 10, but fact is Win 7 is end-of-life so any support for it from DE is already being generous.  I really wouldn't be surprised if DE drops support for it soon.

• Like 7
34 minutes ago, Odins0n said:

I get why you don't want to use Win 10, but fact is Win 7 is end-of-life so any support for it from DE is already being generous.  I really wouldn't be surprised if DE drops support for it soon.

Indeed, I agree besides the generous bit of course.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OniDax said:

I second the second part. I'd really like to see Vulkan support added to PC after DX12.

+1 for this. Considering the FPS boost it can give, I'm really surprised (read dismayed) to see that it hasn't been implemented in more games than it has.

• Like 8

Atleast this time the excuse is more reasonable

When directx9 was put to the side, you did it at a time when new updates came, like a new warframe or a new mechanic, you guys always had to do a fix because in some random directx version that wasn't 9 something was broken, either visualy or the performance was terrible, directx9 was actually for quite some time, the only way to play the game without issues on update releases

I understand that DE had to allocate time to get dx9 to work properly, but funny enough, many times, it was the version that worked, even if there were technical issues to try and get the tools you guys use to adapt the code to direct x9. The original code was broken and the adapted code was great. You made something functional (dx9) by using broken code (dx10/11/12), no idea how you guys pulled that.

This time i can see why you guys want to move forward, you don't want to code for to many versions and are trying to implement stuff that may only be supported on future dx versions, heck, maybe you guys want to use that time to experiment with new engines.

But pls, for the love of god, when you get near that deadline, like 3 months before it happens, don't put out half put together updates that are flawless on dx10 and then break appart on dx11 and dx12, with a subsequent update saying "fixed performance issues on x ability for dx11 and dx12 users" or "fixed crashes for dx12 users"

I also recommend placing a note after each patch notes stating something like:

We are terminating dx10 support, please visit this for more info:

Edited by KIREEK
  • Like 8
8 hours ago, Odins0n said:

Win8.1, on the other hand, is still in mainline support. That uses DirectX 11.

I've been playing since the very beginning. Got on board with a beta key and never lefted. I got along with dx9 support discontinuing. And kept playing. I got along with open world  features on 12 fps... Freakin' optimization. I got along with a lot of Features. And now you inform me guys I won't be able to keep my tenno journey just because I don't have freakin' money to buy a new graphic card. That's awesome. Warframe was the last playable game for me(for a long period of time), and now the journey ends. I have one more year, but it's not a big deal. I'm sad. I'm confused. That's all what I feel now. I made a lot of neofit guys succeed on their first steps on their tenno path. Helped a lot of people. Enjoyed the community. I know it sounds like an old person tearing complaining, but that's all i have left now.RIP.

• Like 10

If the needs of this game outway what i can afford in this pandemic etc, then i will have to stop playing and lose all the money and hours spent on it.  Its a shame but im not spending hundreds just for a game when that has more important uses.  DE should be aware people are struggling and keep specs within realistic paramters IMO

• Like 9
58 minutes ago, LadyRebecca said:

DE should be aware people are struggling and keep specs within realistic paramters IMO

That’s how the Gaming PC industries goes. You have to follow the trend or being left out in the dust. I suggest you try find a used gaming PC or PC parts that is in 2015-2018 Era. There are a lot of good deals even at sub 100 dollars range. These PCs or Parts are DX12 ready.

Edited by DrivaMain
  • Like 5
14 hours ago, -FrutyX- said:

Yea, I mean .... nobody can expect to play "modern" games with only DX10, so I don't think that's a big deal.

I am very excited when devs say "Optimizations", there are many devs that completely don't care about optimizations in their games, all they care about are skins, batlepass stuff and any other ways how to make money, meanwhile their games are running terribly, yet they still make money, sad.

Optimizations always first !

GIRHUu9.jpg

seems like you don't play warframe cause it runs horrible so many game bug issues

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, gogita said:

seems like you don't play warframe cause it runs horrible so many game bug issues

You are talking about a completely different thing, I meant future optimizations when it comes to performance, not game bugs (gameplay related), what does game bugs have to do with the DX changes anyway? Exactly nothing.

• Like 4

Honestly I remember something like that a couple of years ago for direct X9 and quite frankly I still don't see many improvements (on the contrary almost).

Dunno about directx 10 since it's still kicking for a lot of games but whatever

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Asdryu said:

Honestly I remember something like that a couple of years ago for direct X9 and quite frankly I still don't see many improvements (on the contrary almost).

Dunno about directx 10 since it's still kicking for a lot of games but whatever

Its more like software lock than game actually run pure under DX 11

• Like 1