PSA: Warframe DirectX 10 Support Ending (Jan 2021 Est.)

On 2020-09-25 at 10:06 PM, 16Bitman said:

When you stopped supporting DirectX 9, you also stopped support for Windows XP.

Are you going to continue supporting Windows 7 in 2021?

upgrade bruh... my entire pc is 8th gen and i can play heavy duty games on max settings like a buttered toast. you are like 7 yrs behind in pc specs, but DEVs cant support old tech 4ever bruh. time to enter the future fellow Tenno 😳

8 hours ago, Kouden said:

upgrade bruh... my entire pc is 8th gen and i can play heavy duty games on max settings like a buttered toast. you are like 7 yrs behind in pc specs, but DEVs cant support old tech 4ever bruh. time to enter the future fellow Tenno 😳

PC specs software

Microsoft still supports 7 (though i forgot the details of how the support is being continued).

Anyone afraid of Win10 bloat could also stick to the Windows ltsb ediition. (though its a more expensive license.)

I would prefer if they focus on DirectX12 (only if they use and add the DirectX12 for Windows 7, that Microsoft released last year but need to be added by the developer in a per game basis) this way you'll be not held back at all in future development and you retain the Windows 7 compatibility, or as an option or replacement Vulkan support that also supports at least Windows 7, I would love if Warframe migrates to using only two APIs and those were DirectX12 with Windows 7 support and Vulkan

En 3/10/2020 a las 4:56, Kouden dijo:

As many OS versions you can support the better, and DirectX12 is available for Windows 7, if the developer adds it, Microsoft released it in 2019 in a way that it needs to be added in a per game basis, Cyberpunk 2077 is going to do this and only have DirectX12, I have Windows 10 now, but I would want to have Windows 7 support for the longest time possible, if was possible all the life game, and well the other option is to use Vulkan

On 2020-09-25 at 10:48 PM, Odins0n said:

I get why you don't want to use Win 10, but fact is Win 7 is end-of-life so any support for it from DE is already being generous.  I really wouldn't be surprised if DE drops support for it soon.

if win 7 is dropped i may have to go bk to xbox one :(

On 2020-09-26 at 3:33 AM, Rottert said:

I've been playing since the very beginning. Got on board with a beta key and never lefted. I got along with dx9 support discontinuing. And kept playing. I got along with open world  features on 12 fps... Freakin' optimization. I got along with a lot of Features. And now you inform me guys I won't be able to keep my tenno journey just because I don't have freakin' money to buy a new graphic card. That's awesome. Warframe was the last playable game for me(for a long period of time), and now the journey ends. I have one more year, but it's not a big deal. I'm sad. I'm confused. That's all what I feel now. I made a lot of neofit guys succeed on their first steps on their tenno path. Helped a lot of people. Enjoyed the community. I know it sounds like an old person tearing complaining, but that's all i have left now.RIP.

Do you have a desktop?  If you're in the US I've got a gtx 770 I'm not using that I could ship to you.

Edited by Aggh
  • Like 5

i think, that you can freeze the development of gameengine of DX10 leaving the whole made game of current moment for users with dx10 GC support.
so if you will have some enhaces of protocols or of already made levels - they will need those changes only (should be rare)
And for new content - they'll get a modern client, so it's like a level cap, you know, if they want to play more and get progress with newest levels - they will need to have a dx11 support, but if they want just to see the game and connect with people - they can use the old-engine and for newest things of warframes or something - they will see some default particles, i mean sandana or maybe some weapons. plus some basic warframe animations maybe - it's not so hard to do,
this way you will see how many people will stay on old engine and you wont loose them. If the count will drop for less than 500-1000, then you can leave it, actually this should depend on how much they spend, so if it is enough for developers to make those changes - then it should be working - that's fair enough.
For example if i want to play with some friends with old GPU and just to show gameplay together, not with twitch or the first wave of players want to come back and just remember the things, they don't need to buy new comp.
i know a game with 2 engines old and new - it works and old engine actually works much faster for me, so i would use it instead of buying a new GC and maybe be pay some to game developers, just not gaming much.
i think the engine supports different LOD and you can make low level as for old engine - so even new levels and models can be supported,
while the higher LOD can be used for new engine, you will make models anyway for PS4\XBOX
and the difference is only about shader support and a little about compiling\patching.
maybe the openworld levels with seamless borders can work better with new cards - well that's the work to do, depending on paid\used player stuff.
actually you can make a client for android and that would be a huge audience and they will use pretty much the same engine as dx10.
well years ago i proposed to make it a quite different in moba style with perspective view - that can work for android with their small screen and less buttons,
maybe this can be just a kind of different client for all platforms.
for example some mini-games like with wyrm or trading stuff with baro\players, or those cefalon games can be ported to mobile right now,
so for example you can use your mobile for trade being in game or away, or having a better map support, or having like a connection with your ship to get new weapons or warframe in place, if you have enabled your phone, because it can work as a map-host or a sentinel control (so you can play with friends this way).

Edited by oeai
7 hours ago, Gr1ston said:

will this also affect directx 10.1 ?

Yes. Why are you confused about it? There has only been a Dx9 and Dx11 option. That was changed to DX10 and DX11. And soon the DX10 will go away and it will be missed less than dx9.0.

We can but hope that they have enough sense to pick Vulkan over dx12 next. Dx12 is vendor/windowsversion lock-in and there is no such thing as dx12 on PS4/PS5 anyway. But they are probably going to do a DX12 anyway (because: xbox). I mean, do you even think MS are providing a vulkan driver there, despite the GPU being capable, oh no no and you can't roll your own driver in.

Now for a elongated "old-guy" rant, since I got carried away again.

Featurewise, dx10.x offers very little over dx9, apart from some bumps to the HLSL features (SM4/SM5). Since it does not offer a performance bump over Dx9, rapidly phasing that out too, after dropping Dx9 makes a lot of sense. I'm betting there are even fewer vista holdouts than XP diehards. And their hardware, particular GPUs, are not gameworthy in any halfway modern sense.
The rest of the step from dx9 to dx10 is mainly changes that are between windows and the drivers (WDM version bump) that is irrelevant to the application layer (the game) and some crap in the audio layer - removing support for hardware voices: it became mixed in software. If you ever wondered why the SoundBlaster AWE series came to and end, then that is huge part of the why, because that was its reason to be: accellerated audio for games, at a time when mixing multiple voices in stereo in software was a considerable chunk of cpu time (it still is, except we have multicore capabilities to do that now).
Basically, dx10 is almost a complete birthdefect from windows vista, which had a lot of issues behind the scenes and never gained real popularity - you'd get XP if you had any sense and choice, and skipped vista if you could. If Dx9 needs to leave, Dx10 needs to leave with it, there is next to no gain until you go dx11.

Back to the HLSL differences. I my opinion, game programmers should be limited to the SM3 feature set and limits. SM4 and beyond are overkill and way too tempting to do a lot of stupid sh!t with when you loose sight of what you *should* be doing. You can do some funky accellerated photoshop filters/magictools with it if you want and really amazing image enhancement (think medical imagery, sattelite imagery, observatory/telescope data) right on the GPU at a much higher speed than with CPU, justifying how much things have been expanded since SM3. Heck, you can even decide to do simpler tasks such as AA, FFX "butterscreen", and other sad things in a "shader" if you really wanted to and the app does not have it (hello ReShade to the rescue - at least in games where it's not banned).

But, that is not what you need in a game. You need small fast shaders doing simple things well and fast, aka "SM3". Not trying to mimic raytracing level reflections on fluid surfaces, which up to a point can be done (the HLSL is turing complete these days). But you would be wise to avoid doing it, other than, as a proof of concept in CS degree paper, making a micro raytracer that can be run as a SM5+ shader. Lets just say that if you have that kind of expertise you might be qualified enough to get work at pixar, etc. or writing high performance customizations all over the "pixel" industry for big $.

There are however some really massive potential gains going from DX9/DX10 to DX11 (as long as you don't go stupid with SM4/5+). It mainly comes from how you can shuffle data to the API/drivers and "issue orders". DX9 and Dx10 are in a broad sense very traditionally singlethreaded, DX11 is not that limited. Dx11 can return quickly from some important calls, while it handles the actual work in a thread/threads of its own - much more multicore friendly.

DX10 and DX9 are pretty much dinosaurs from the age of singlecore thinking and that is why they have to go if warframe must grow and improve. Dx9 was not terrible, many games have proven that, it is just that so much more can be done in the same amount of time when you *know* there are more cores available and you are working with a API that is built to take advantage of it.

A note about old hardware for historical comparison.
I think the GTX600 series, like the GTX650 from 2011, was the first nvidia part with proper DX11 support. If any of you have something older and slower, then I am surprised that you find the experience playable in warframe. IIRC the first Intel i5 was launched the year before that - that processor can still run warframe playably, but you'll need a graphics card with a bit more spunk than a gtx650 to get 1080p play.
I had to play Path of Exile on a old bucket like that and it was not pleasant - that game does not run well.

ps, seriously, ReShade is several sorts of wonderful for experimenting with shaders on a superficial(=user) level and trying to give older games a makeover with gfx 'enhancements' that were deemed too slow to be in the games when they were new.
It also gives you a great insight into why you should keep shaders simple - the large/shoddy ones make your GPU run hot and can quickly lose the smooth framerate.

whenever i play this game something happens to stop me from playing it like the first time the mobo died the second time the gpu died and when i got a working gpu for it which is dx10 support they are changing it 

4 minutes ago, Y4mi666 said:

whenever i play this game something happens to stop me from playing it like the first time the mobo died the second time the gpu died and when i got a working gpu for it which is dx10 support they are changing it 

What gpu are you using that doesnt have DX11 support???

On 2020-09-25 at 4:17 PM, Urlan said:

Vista had an upgrade that could run Direct x 11 which makes sense since the differences between Vista and Windows 7 are very small. A very good point though, I wonder if it would be possible to put in more support for Linux Wine or something going forward if Win 7 gets discontinued as well since Win 10 isn't an option for folk that want privacy.

I'm glad to see someone point this out. Yes, this is precisely the reason I have no intention of buying a copy of W10 (it's hard to believe they actually charge money for that garbage).

On 2020-09-25 at 5:27 PM, OniDax said:

I second the second part. I'd really like to see Vulkan support added to PC after DX12.

Why after DX12? Vulkan is supported on more platforms such as PS4 and Switch.

On 2020-10-05 at 2:50 PM, TheExplorer said:

I would prefer if they focus on DirectX12 (only if they use and add the DirectX12 for Windows 7, that Microsoft released last year but need to be added by the developer in a per game basis) this way you'll be not held back at all in future development and you retain the Windows 7 compatibility, or as an option or replacement Vulkan support that also supports at least Windows 7, I would love if Warframe migrates to using only two APIs and those were DirectX12 with Windows 7 support and Vulkan

I can't understand why people are wanting DX12 in place of Vulkan. Features and speed are at parity, but accessibility is not. Not only that, but DE could potentially make a fork of Vulkan or something optimized for their game, or utilize the open source nature to better hook into it.

16 hours ago, GearMech said:

What gpu are you using that doesnt have DX11 support???

Better question: What GPU is being used that can't support DX11, but can play this game at a reasonable frame rate.

Edited by EiraRozen
38 minutes ago, EiraRozen said:

I can't understand why people are wanting DX12 in place of Vulkan. Features and speed are at parity, but accessibility is not. Not only that, but DE could potentially make a fork of Vulkan or something optimized for their game, or utilize the open source nature to better hook into it.

Direct upgrade from DX11. It would also take some time to integrate Vulkan seeing as DirectX is probably a core part of the game now and DE doesn't exactly the resources to manage both DX and Vulkan at the same time.

47 minutes ago, EiraRozen said:

Because Steve said they're currently working on DX12 support. If they added Vulkan, it would have to be after they added DX12.

I'm glad that Direct X10 support is ending I don't have like the most powerful PC. I see a lot of people complaining about how there PC can't run warframe well but really in 2020 who doesn't have at least 4GB of ram and a Intel core duo. Even my laptop with only INTERGRATED graphics can run warframe How can your PC not run it. Super excited for the changes!

Edited by Xarsis01

My login keeps giving me the message about DirectX 10 support going away. When I look at what my machine has it says it is running on DirectX 12. Does 12 not have support either? I'm out of my element here. I don't know why it keeps sending me the message.

Can anyone help me with this. I keep recieving this notification on one of my PCs:

Support for DirectX 10 is ending in 2021! We hope you can upgrade your graphics card soon!
Please see https://www.warframe.com/specs2021 for more information.

The thing is I have a Quadro FX3800 on it and as far as I know it supports DirectX 11.

54 minutes ago, NoMoreFAIL said:

Can anyone help me with this. I keep recieving this notification on one of my PCs:

The thing is I have a Quadro FX3800 on it and as far as I know it supports DirectX 11.

Its support DX 11.1, but specs says feature 10.0 which can cause problems with DX 11 games. Try ask support for better answer