Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feedback on the current state of scanning for Simaris rep

Oorel

Since the Helminth launch a lot of us have had to put more time into gaining Simaris Rep and will have likely found it to be a bit frustrating. Mainly how fiddly it can be to scan moving enemies that get obstructed by geometry or each other. On a deeper level if scanned enemies are not killed they are teleported further on into the level to populate new tiles, but their scanned status is not refreshed, I think that would be a positive change as well.

In general I would like to see the requirement for constant line-of-sight while scanning to be mitigated, I have a few suggestions.

• Increase the targeting reticule to cover a larger area
  • Once you start scanning an enemy don't just stop it when perfect line-of-sight is broken, allow it to stay active as long as the enemy is within the center of your screen. I'd conceptualize it like a tether to the enemy you are currently scanning. 
  • You could either have to keep the target within the original targeting area, but increasing it while scanning would also be good.

Besides improving the manual scanning some automatic scanning would also be great. I had high hopes for Botanist (Oxylus precept) and while it is a genuine upgrade, it still requires constant line-of-sight to scan. If the above changes happened, Botanist would be in a much better place. Right now I think it should always finish a scan it starts, require the line-of-sight only to begin the scan. Helios has a function like this right now, its possibly not fully intended, but Helios will complete scans on enemies that are killed while they are being scanned.

I think some Precept mod that allows scanning of already completed enemies would be very nice for Helios too.

+1 to all this.

Likewise, the daily target also shouldn't be randomized. Every player should get an additional 10,000 reputation on 4 additional targets of a randomized enemy. The biggest annoyance to me was watching my friends get more daily rep than me purely due to bad luck and getting half of their 10,000 extra standing.

5 hours ago, Oorel said:

Right now I think it should always finish a scan it starts, require the line-of-sight only to begin the scan. Helios has a function like this right now, its possibly not fully intended, but Helios will complete scans on enemies that are killed while they are being scanned.

You can manually scan corpses, it's not a Helios-specific function, and I'm not sure how LOS relates to this.

5 hours ago, Oorel said:

I think some Precept mod that allows scanning of already completed enemies would be very nice for Helios too.

What would be the point? It's not like Helios scans give Simaris Standing (and they shouldn't, IMO).

But sure, Widgets for (Peacemaker-ish) increased scan reticules, and allowing partial scans to resume, that could be nice.

4 hours ago, Voltage said:

the daily target also shouldn't be randomized. Every player should get an additional 10,000 reputation on 4 additional targets

Very yes.

29 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

You can manually scan corpses, it's not a Helios-specific function, and I'm not sure how LOS relates to this.

Ok, I was not aware of that. My perception of what was happening is as I described, good to know.

29 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

What would be the point? It's not like Helios scans give Simaris Standing (and they shouldn't, IMO).

I thought that a scan was a scan. Thing is that whenever i've been scanning new enemies I'm not interested in Simaris Rep, so I don't notice, then the times I'm looking for rep I'm not scanning any fresh stuff either.

Anyways, excuses, excuses..

You are probably right that any automatic scanning for rep is taking it too far. Right now I would prefer it just cause scanning is a bit awkward, but if scanning was less awkward then that changes things. In the end I would prefer scanning to improve, over adding a Precept mod.

Personally, I feel that at the very least DE need to make scanning faster. As in, at least halve the time needed to scan a target. Right now, Scanning "feels" like it was designed to be a minigame like fishing or mining. It isn't, and shouldn't be treated as one. It's a formality, so the less tedious it is, the better. Make it instantaneous or near-instantaneous and those issues go away.

Archived