Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I dont think new players should get access to nightwave

(XBOX)BowlofTofu

I'm not trying to be mean and say they shouldn't have access to it for no reason. 

I just started a new game on PS4 and did the night waves to get caught up, but at MR1 I can go and see Operator fashion. To me that's a huge spoiler for The Second Dream and later quests. It's like saying, free sneak peak here. 

I just don't like that little detail being so easily obtained. I mainly play on Xbox and wanted to restart to reenjoy the story and flow of things, see the new tutorial etc.

Maybe for people that didn't do the Second Dream they should get different rewards rather then operator fashion. Like mods, catalysts, etc

2 minutes ago, trunks013 said:

I doubt restricting nightwave should be the solution here am i the only one ?

I mean operator gear could be hidden but still labeled as "Reward will be unlocked after the completion of the second dream quest" no ?

Either that or offer a different reward for it. Warframe skins, not deluxe ones, catalyst, or something useful to newer players that'd benefit them. 

Just because new players might see Operator cosmetics does not mean they know the lore behind Operator.

When I was a new player, I randomly saw these little random people walking around during missions... I though it was some kind cosmetic or something... they were certainly decorative. I didn't even give it a second thought! And even if I saw an Operator killing something... that doesn't mean I would know the lore behind the Operator.

As another counterexample... there's lore behind Warframes. But new players are using their Warframes from the very beginning. Is this a spoiler? Obviously not... Seeing or using equipment does not automatically mean *spoiler*. The story and lore are not exposed by seeing Operator cosmetics or Operator in missions. Seeing other players use Excalibur Umbra in missions is not a spoiler even though there is a lot of lore attached to him.

They could certainly do a lot more to not spoil things (Last crime scene spoiled all the hidden cephalon lore) and I would personally advocate contextual challenges, that unlock based on player progress and gear, ie, don't tell the players with an mk1-Braton and no amp to cap the Hydrolyst.

That said, I don't think simply barring new players from time limited rewards is the best answer.

Reward progress with higher value challenges, rather that punishing based on position.

Meh, I get what your saying but the operators are pretty much the worst kept secret in WF. I'm not saying we can't do a little more to avoid spoilers but the problem in WF is low level players are really only soft locked at best from being around players with operators, so many people are already partially spoiled or at least mentally primed for whats to come when they do second dream even if no one intentionally spoils them. I still feel super lucky I got to be a part of the players experiencing it together for the first time. It's still the live gaming experience I cherish the most by far. I would love it if all new players could share that magic, but I think we need to go farther than hiding cosmetics that clue them in. You would have to disable operators in any mission where one of the players hadn't done second dream to truly avoid accidentally spoiling people.

55 minutes ago, elmetnuter said:

I saw Operators all the time on Hydron. I would ask how to get that pet character and people will deflect gently. Knowing they exist does not spoil how they come to be, which is the important part.

I love that so many in the community go to great lengths to not spoil others. It's because many of us remember the awe of our own experience. Ive noticed that a lot of high MRs will hastily stow their operator if they see a really low MR in mission and suddenly get really evasive when questioned lol.

1 hour ago, TheArcSet said:

They could certainly do a lot more to not spoil things (Last crime scene spoiled all the hidden cephalon lore) and I would personally advocate contextual challenges, that unlock based on player progress and gear, ie, don't tell the players with an mk1-Braton and no amp to cap the Hydrolyst.

That said, I don't think simply barring new players from time limited rewards is the best answer.

Reward progress with higher value challenges, rather that punishing based on position.

Agreed. I also think the story does not belong in Nightwave... it's tacked onto a system that really only needs to provide a means to earn Nitain, potatoes, mods and Vauban. Anything additional is tacked on. Stories should be their own separate event which can be locked behind quest progress to prevent spoilers.

1 hour ago, nslay said:

Agreed. I also think the story does not belong in Nightwave... it's tacked onto a system that really only needs to provide a means to earn Nitain, potatoes, mods and Vauban. Anything additional is tacked on. Stories should be their own separate event which can be locked behind quest progress to prevent spoilers.

I don't so much mind NW stories, but where they spoil existing stories, that are widely unknown, because DE didn't put a single hint to accessing them it in the game, then it's a big failure.

You can add in new lore without ripping through the existing stories.

No one should have to participate in nightwave. New or old.

What a dirty underhanded thing to do. Locking a desirable and mostly mandatory reward behind it to inflate a false sense of participation.

Move the umbra forma elsewhere and watch participation take a dump. Its garbage tier "content" and the forma is the ONLY reason to bother. 

The only thing of value is the umbra forma. The rest of it is fluff garbo filler trash. 

I got nitain extract on the phone over here, they said to tell you, new players more than anyone or anything, absolutely, positively, need to get to work on nightwave immediately to progress in the game.

What is it, every last single of the original frames that require nitain extract along with a bunch of helmets and weapons too.

/edit

ps. I just googled this:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Aura_Forma

4 forma, 10 nitain extract

(loooooooooooooool x 4 billion + 245)x27

2 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I love that so many in the community go to great lengths to not spoil others. It's because many of us remember the awe of our own experience. Ive noticed that a lot of high MRs will hastily stow their operator if they see a really low MR in mission and suddenly get really evasive when questioned lol.

If I see a low-MR player and I'm not in Hydron?  I don't care that letting the Op out to play would be a good idea.  That kiddo stays right the hell where they are.  Let the intrigue remain, and deflect any and all questions regarding them with 'Get through this quest first' or 'It's something you'll have access to if you put in the time'.

On Hydron, though, everyone knows why they're there, and tbh if you're on Hydron I'm gonna freely use Operator.  Odds are I need an Amp levelled.

As for Nightwave restrictions, no.  Nitain Extract, Aura Mods, and weapons would all like to haul you into an alleyway for a chat.  What should be done is context-sensitive hiding, such as 'Content Unavailable:  Complete X Quest first'.  Something like that.

not really a great idea, but even if it was, DE want everything "accessible". they were more than happy enough to open up Helminth, a system with an intense resource requirement and one that requires some knowledge of each subsumed ability for players as low as MR8. DE would never gate off gameplay modes or long term events behind MR, even if we wanted them to.

I thought that Warframe was advertised with Operators in cutscenes. As well as the newer opening cutscene having an Operator activate the warframes or something. I don't feel like knowing you are an operator is much of a spoiler when you're often referred to as "operator" and then have these systems to build on it later. 

But in saying that I don't have anything against hiding cosmetics for features that aren't unlocked yet. 

Archived